Orcon "UBS" - anyone been switched yet?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Oct 16, 2004.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    I signed up over a week ago, *still* haven't heard back from Telecom or
    Orcon with an estimate of when the switch over might happen.

    Has anybody in this group been changed over from Orcon Jetstart to the
    new "UBS" service, or know of anybody who has? Telecom were saying this
    could take from 7 - 30 days.

    If Telecom aren't just stalling, there should be enough Orcon users in
    this group to see if everything happens at the end of the month, or
    after a billing cycle, or evenly spread over the month.

    A larger sample would be better, but if people could post here
    indicating when they (or people they know) were switched over, the group
    should pretty easily be able to see if there is a pattern. Maybe there
    will be enough information to send something to the Commerce Commission?

    What do you think?

    -=rjh=-, Oct 16, 2004

  2. "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message news:41706607_4@127.0.0.1...
    >I signed up over a week ago, *still* haven't heard back from Telecom or
    >Orcon with an estimate of when the switch over might happen.
    >
    > Has anybody in this group been changed over from Orcon Jetstart to the new
    > "UBS" service, or know of anybody who has? Telecom were saying this could
    > take from 7 - 30 days.
    >
    > If Telecom aren't just stalling, there should be enough Orcon users in
    > this group to see if everything happens at the end of the month, or after
    > a billing cycle, or evenly spread over the month.

    We are definately moving customers over at the moment, but only a number of
    users can be moved over each day. Yes it takes a while to do the change over
    (on Telecom's side), but as soon as we get back from Telecom when the
    customer will be moved over to UBS we notify the customer.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore
    Systems Administrator
    Orcon Internet

    Craig Whitmore, Oct 16, 2004

  3. -=rjh=-

    Hmmm Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > I signed up over a week ago, *still* haven't heard back from Telecom or
    > Orcon with an estimate of when the switch over might happen.
    >
    > Has anybody in this group been changed over from Orcon Jetstart to the
    > new "UBS" service, or know of anybody who has? Telecom were saying this
    > could take from 7 - 30 days.
    >
    > If Telecom aren't just stalling, there should be enough Orcon users in
    > this group to see if everything happens at the end of the month, or
    > after a billing cycle, or evenly spread over the month.
    >
    > A larger sample would be better, but if people could post here
    > indicating when they (or people they know) were switched over, the group
    > should pretty easily be able to see if there is a pattern. Maybe there
    > will be enough information to send something to the Commerce Commission?
    >
    > What do you think?

    The commerce commission is impotent, I signed up for the bitstream
    service on the 4th of october thinking that I was going to be
    automatically moved over to it as orcons original instructions said,
    they were changed and the newsletter didnt come out until after the 1st
    so I was a little annoyed that many people got in the queue ahead of
    me!! hehe Oh well, not the end of the world!, but I am hoping it arrives
    before october finishes or I will have to serious! and maybe open a can
    of whoooop ass on someone at telecom!

    I have several friends at ihug and all of them have been moved accross
    :(, but they all did sign up on the 1st however...

    Hmmm, Oct 16, 2004
  4. -=rjh=-

    Steve Guest

    "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:417097e6$1_4@127.0.0.1...
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    > > I signed up over a week ago, *still* haven't heard back from Telecom or
    > > Orcon with an estimate of when the switch over might happen.
    > >
    > > Has anybody in this group been changed over from Orcon Jetstart to the
    > > new "UBS" service, or know of anybody who has? Telecom were saying this
    > > could take from 7 - 30 days.
    > >
    > > If Telecom aren't just stalling, there should be enough Orcon users in
    > > this group to see if everything happens at the end of the month, or
    > > after a billing cycle, or evenly spread over the month.
    > >
    > > A larger sample would be better, but if people could post here
    > > indicating when they (or people they know) were switched over, the group
    > > should pretty easily be able to see if there is a pattern. Maybe there
    > > will be enough information to send something to the Commerce Commission?
    > >
    > > What do you think?
    > >

    > The commerce commission is impotent, I signed up for the bitstream
    > service on the 4th of october thinking that I was going to be
    > automatically moved over to it as orcons original instructions said,
    > they were changed and the newsletter didnt come out until after the 1st
    > so I was a little annoyed that many people got in the queue ahead of
    > me!! hehe Oh well, not the end of the world!, but I am hoping it arrives
    > before october finishes or I will have to serious! and maybe open a can
    > of whoooop ass on someone at telecom!
    >
    > I have several friends at ihug and all of them have been moved accross
    > :(, but they all did sign up on the 1st however...

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    At this rate it looks like I'll be paying Telescum another month fee even
    though (I guess) I'll only be using some of it (presumably I'll get switched
    part way through the billing period). This annoys me as I may end up paying
    effectively double for one month even though original correspondence I
    received from Orcon stated I would get switched over at the end of the
    Telecon billing cycle. Oh well, got a couple of days to see what happens,
    but I'm not holding my breath (even though I signed up pretty early in the
    month).

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 16, 2004
  5. -=rjh=-

    Mutley Guest

    -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >I signed up over a week ago, *still* haven't heard back from Telecom or
    >Orcon with an estimate of when the switch over might happen.
    >
    >Has anybody in this group been changed over from Orcon Jetstart to the
    >new "UBS" service, or know of anybody who has? Telecom were saying this
    >could take from 7 - 30 days.
    >
    >If Telecom aren't just stalling, there should be enough Orcon users in
    >this group to see if everything happens at the end of the month, or
    >after a billing cycle, or evenly spread over the month.
    >
    >A larger sample would be better, but if people could post here
    >indicating when they (or people they know) were switched over, the group
    >should pretty easily be able to see if there is a pattern. Maybe there
    >will be enough information to send something to the Commerce Commission?
    >
    >What do you think?

    >http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    >---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    Not yet. But I got an email from Orcon on Oct 15th saying that I will
    be changed over on Oct 29.. Seems to be the change date for lots of
    folks..
    Mutley, Oct 16, 2004
  6. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >

    >>I signed up over a week ago, *still* haven't heard back from Telecom or
    >>Orcon with an estimate of when the switch over might happen.
    >>
    >>Has anybody in this group been changed over from Orcon Jetstart to the
    >>new "UBS" service, or know of anybody who has? Telecom were saying this
    >>could take from 7 - 30 days.
    >>
    >>If Telecom aren't just stalling, there should be enough Orcon users in
    >>this group to see if everything happens at the end of the month, or
    >>after a billing cycle, or evenly spread over the month.
    >>
    >>A larger sample would be better, but if people could post here
    >>indicating when they (or people they know) were switched over, the group
    >>should pretty easily be able to see if there is a pattern. Maybe there
    >>will be enough information to send something to the Commerce Commission?
    >>
    >>What do you think?

    >>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    >>---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    > Not yet. But I got an email from Orcon on Oct 15th saying that I will
    > be changed over on Oct 29.. Seems to be the change date for lots of
    > folks..

    Ouch, I'm gutted.

    My billing cycle is 24th, and I haven't had a confirmation yet...

    We haven't heard from anybody who has been changed over yet.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 16, 2004
  7. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > We are definately moving customers over at the moment, but only a number of
    > users can be moved over each day. Yes it takes a while to do the change over
    > (on Telecom's side), but as soon as we get back from Telecom when the
    > customer will be moved over to UBS we notify the customer.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig Whitmore
    > Systems Administrator
    > Orcon Internet

    Thanks for the feedback, Craig - it is reassuring to hear something is
    happening - but why is this taking so long?

    It doesn't even take 7 - 30 days to set up a *new* account, including a
    complete installation.

    Reminds me of a joke I heard in Hungary:

    ===============

    Gabor calls in at a Budapest Lada dealer, to confirm his order for new
    car. The salesman brightly tells Gabor, that his car will be delivered
    in October 2007.

    Gabor looks a little worried, says that is fine, but could some
    indication of a date be given? Salesman wasn't sure, but thought
    probably early October. Gabor is not happy, hassles the salesman to find
    out the exact date, which he does. 14 October! Gabor looks quite
    worried, asks if that will be in the morning or the afternoon?

    FFS says the exasperated saleman, what does it matter? You're getting a
    new Lada!

    Yes, says Gabor, but I've got a plumber coming that morning :)

    -=rjh=-, Oct 16, 2004
  8. -=rjh=-

    Mike_P Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message news:41706607_4@127.0.0.1...
    >I signed up over a week ago, *still* haven't heard back from Telecom or
    >Orcon with an estimate of when the switch over might happen.
    >
    > Has anybody in this group been changed over from Orcon Jetstart to the new
    > "UBS" service, or know of anybody who has? Telecom were saying this could
    > take from 7 - 30 days.
    >
    > If Telecom aren't just stalling, there should be enough Orcon users in
    > this group to see if everything happens at the end of the month, or after
    > a billing cycle, or evenly spread over the month.
    >
    > A larger sample would be better, but if people could post here indicating
    > when they (or people they know) were switched over, the group should
    > pretty easily be able to see if there is a pattern. Maybe there will be
    > enough information to send something to the Commerce Commission?
    >
    > What do you think?

    Nope... infact I was wondering the same myself.
    Haven't heard of anybody who has been switched as yet. I'm an existing Orcon
    customer and signed up on the 2'nd to have my Surf a/c switched over and
    still haven't heard anything from anyone.
    Mike_P, Oct 16, 2004
  9. -=rjh=-

    Steve Guest

    "Mike_P" <> wrote in message

    > Nope... infact I was wondering the same myself.
    > Haven't heard of anybody who has been switched as yet. I'm an existing

    Orcon
    > customer and signed up on the 2'nd to have my Surf a/c switched over and
    > still haven't heard anything from anyone.

    Ditto. I signed up somewhere around there too (give or take a day) and the
    lack of feedback has been amazing. Not even an auto reply from the order
    form to confirm the order has been placed. I'm beginning to wonder if I even
    filled the form in right...

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 16, 2004
  10. -=rjh=-

    Alan Guest

    Was changed over to UBS back on 7/10/2004 after having changed to Orcon
    on 30/9/2004.

    I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

    Alan, Oct 16, 2004
  11. -=rjh=-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > "Mike_P" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Nope... infact I was wondering the same myself.
    >> Haven't heard of anybody who has been switched as yet. I'm an
    >> existing

    > Orcon
    >> customer and signed up on the 2'nd to have my Surf a/c switched over
    >> and still haven't heard anything from anyone.
    >>

    > Ditto. I signed up somewhere around there too (give or take a day)
    > and the
    > lack of feedback has been amazing. Not even an auto reply from the
    > order
    > form to confirm the order has been placed. I'm beginning to wonder if
    > I even filled the form in right...

    Same as above.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 16, 2004
  12. -=rjh=-

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:15:33 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > I signed up over a week ago, *still* haven't heard back from Telecom or
    > Orcon with an estimate of when the switch over might happen.

    Same here. I hope the web form I completed went through ok; don't want to
    miss out of the $49 deal.

    --

    .... Brendan

    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is,
    "To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death,
    and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - GEN George S Patton, Jr, AUS

    Note: All my comments are copyright 17/10/2004 2:32:30 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 16, 2004
  13. -=rjh=-

    Mike_P Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message news:4170ee40$1_4@127.0.0.1...
    > Was changed over to UBS back on 7/10/2004 after having changed to Orcon on
    > 30/9/2004.
    >
    > I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

    So Orcon are changing over new customers before existing ones...?? Sound
    fair !

    Care to comment Craig, Seebe ?
    Mike_P, Oct 16, 2004
  14. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Summary (as of 17/10/2004, and using info from Orcon's newsfeed (which
    likely isn't current :), but that doesn't matter:

    Sample of 8 replies plus one other I personally know about -

    4 were from new customers, only one of those has been switched over;

    5 were from (I think) existing customers, none of those have been
    switched over.

    So, out of 9, only one has been changed over, surely at least 2 should
    have been switched by now, as 25% of the billing dates have already
    rooled over? Also, we are 25% of the way through the 30 day period
    mentioned by Orcon. And if they are doing this alphabetically, they
    should be 25% through the alphabet by now. Pity the sample isn't
    larger. It is indicative that Orcon have a sh*tload of new customers,
    though.

    I wonder if there is any way to get a sample outside of this newsgroup?
    A website survey, perhaps?

    And as for missing out on the $49.95 deal, I see Orcon are now
    advertising that as the price to new customers. Hmmm...

    Oh yes - one other thing. Telecom are no longer dropping Jetstart (they
    were going to discontinue it November, remember) so that means there
    won't be any hurry to change people over just because their service is
    going away. Must be a real relief to them, that. Just imagine, an extra
    $30.00 from every customer they can roll over for another month. An
    extra $30.00 for being slack.

    At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter - I'm still getting the
    service I paid for, and I would have had to upgrade anyway; but I really
    don't like being played for a sucker, and I've recommended this plan to
    others, which (because it isn't available) makes me look silly.

    Time to go out and play.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 16, 2004
  15. -=rjh=-

    Hmmm Guest

    I know another orcon customer that was an existing customer, filled in
    the bitstream cgi on the 4th and hasnt been switched over yet nor
    received anything..

    I imagine Orcon probably took a load of new customers and has obviously
    affected some other isp's as slingshot changed their plans and dropped
    restrictions to match orcon eventually..

    but we are now over midway through the month and yes it seems from this
    very small sample that not many have been switched over at all..

    anyway in the grand scheme of things waiting a couple of weeks isnt
    really a big deal.. of course it would have been nice if we all got
    switched over on the 1st of october and I really have no idea why its
    taking so long to switch people especially as its the same damn layer 3
    service.. if they take this long for this changeover I am worried what
    will happen when the real layer 2 ubs kicks in... how long will that take??

    Hmmm, Oct 16, 2004
  16. -=rjh=-

    steve Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > A larger sample would be better, but if people could post here
    > indicating when they (or people they know) were switched over, the group
    > should pretty easily be able to see if there is a pattern. Maybe there
    > will be enough information to send something to the Commerce Commission?
    >
    > What do you think?

    I want to see what better offers Telecom comes up with to cut the ground out
    from under UBS.

    .....If they haven't already, they certainly will.

    It's how they usually work: finally make a concession...then almost
    immediately, make it obselete.

    Like Microsoft does.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home
    steve, Oct 17, 2004
  17. -=rjh=-

    Bernadette Guest

    As existing customers we filled in the form on the 4th, and have not heard
    anything back. Seems we are not alone.

    Warren

    Bernadette, Oct 17, 2004
  18. -=rjh=-

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Orcon Support was Re: Orcon "UBS" - anyone been switched yet?

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter - I'm still getting the
    > service I paid for, and I would have had to upgrade anyway; but I really
    > don't like being played for a sucker, and I've recommended this plan to
    > others, which (because it isn't available) makes me look silly.

    I have recommended Orcon to 1 person and a business but the DD forms
    never turned up (or so thay claim - and I have no reason to doubt them)
    which made look a bit silly too. I can't see any reason to recommend
    Orcon to anyone now. Also emailed Orcon on 3 October asking if they
    realised that there were lots on missing articles in NG's and when the
    sig file was going to be dropped.
    "Hi

    1. Do you know that there are many missing articles in News Groups -
    nz.comp, to name but one ?

    2. When will this be sorted out ?

    3. Why are the adds added to the bottom of posts ?, they were removed.

    Look forward to your help

    Regards "

    I got a relpy on the 15 October ....
    " Hi,

    The news group is there as it is one of the nes that i read most mornings.

    Regards
    Orcon Support, Technical Support Team "

    Another quality service from Orcon </sic>

    I did reply to their email, no doubt I'll get a reply next month sometime.

    And to the person from Orcon who crafted the response , well gosh, I
    think your reply says it all :)

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 17, 2004
  19. -=rjh=-

    Hmmm Guest

    Re: Orcon Support was Re: Orcon "UBS" - anyone been switched yet?

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter - I'm still getting
    >> the service I paid for, and I would have had to upgrade anyway; but I
    >> really don't like being played for a sucker, and I've recommended this
    >> plan to others, which (because it isn't available) makes me look silly.

    > I have recommended Orcon to 1 person and a business but the DD forms
    > never turned up (or so thay claim - and I have no reason to doubt them)
    > which made look a bit silly too. I can't see any reason to recommend
    > Orcon to anyone now. Also emailed Orcon on 3 October asking if they
    > realised that there were lots on missing articles in NG's and when the
    > sig file was going to be dropped.
    > "Hi
    >
    > 1. Do you know that there are many missing articles in News Groups -
    > nz.comp, to name but one ?
    >
    > 2. When will this be sorted out ?
    >
    > 3. Why are the adds added to the bottom of posts ?, they were removed.
    >
    > Look forward to your help
    >
    > Regards "
    >
    > I got a relpy on the 15 October ....
    > " Hi,
    >
    > The news group is there as it is one of the nes that i read most mornings.
    >
    > Regards
    > Orcon Support, Technical Support Team "
    >
    > Another quality service from Orcon </sic>
    >
    > I did reply to their email, no doubt I'll get a reply next month sometime.
    >
    > And to the person from Orcon who crafted the response , well gosh, I
    > think your reply says it all :)

    Yep seems like everyone is emailing then, perhaps that is why they are
    taking a while to respond hehe. Id give them a bit of a break until
    they have this ubs circus sorted out as I am sure that is where their
    attention is now not some newsgroups that a tiny minority use.

    Hmmm, Oct 17, 2004
  20. -=rjh=-

    Mark. Guest

    I don't like that I am having to remain on a 3GB plan for alot longer
    than planned. I switched from Paradise jetstart (10GB) to Orcon 3GB
    jetsurf in anticipation of only being on 3GB for one month.

    Now the bitstream migration is taking so frickin long, it looks like I
    may be on a 3GB plan for a 3rd month, which I'm not happy about as I'm
    having so really cut back on audio and video chats with my grandparents
    in the UK, who ironically live out in the styx but who have a 1Mbit ADSL
    connection.
    I'm having to pay $65 for last months extra data usage. How about
    Telecom or Orcon waiving a months fee because of this cockup?

    FAQ YOU TELECOM!

    Mark., Oct 18, 2004