ORCON UBS AND HELPDESK UPDATE

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. Hi there Everyone.

    Currently we are working through several projects:

    - UBS provisioning and troubleshooting
    - Helpdesk performance levels
    - Rollout of new customer service centre.

    UBS PROVISIONING

    We are currently around 1/2 way through provisioning the list of
    several thousand customers that we have had sign up for our UBS
    service.
    When UBS was first proposed to us, we assumed that it would be a
    fairly simple process for us to get our users moved across from
    Telecom JetStream.
    However, this has not been the case, and the UBS moves have been a
    very manual process with us having to perform many tasks to get each
    customer working.
    Telecom is only able to move a maximum of 90 customers across per
    working day, or around 3,000 per month - we have now been moving
    customers over for 1-2 months.

    There have been some issues with Telecom disconnecting customers from
    JetStream, and then not re-connecting them to Orcon UBS. This is as
    frustrating for us as for the customers. As soon as this has happened
    we have begged Telecom to get customers back up and runnning, but in a
    small amount of cases, customers have been left without a usable
    connection for a week or more. We believe that we have developed a
    process that minimises these problems going foward, although we are
    really at the mercy of Telecom on this issue.

    Some users have reported unstable ping times and througput issues on
    UBS - this is a result of the 'power' users moving to UBS first and
    congesting the links between us and Telecom (which have to be a fixed
    size, and Telecom won't increase for us). Based on the fact that our
    JetStart service did not have problems, we expect that once the
    majority of our users are moved over, these problems will go away
    because the 'mom and dad' users will balance out the 'power users'.
    All ISPs including Xtra have to contend with these congestion issues
    if users pull too much traffic all at the same time, as the average
    allocated capacity for DSL users is the same for all ISPs.

    HELPDESK PERFORMANCE LEVELS

    In anticipation of the load that our helpdesk would come under because
    of our UBS promotion and other advertising campaigns, we increased the
    number of simultaneous helpdesk people on our team from 12 people to
    26 over the last couple of months.

    However, our call volumes have actually quadrupled because of UBS
    provisioning issues, and therefore we are on the back foot at present.
    Wait times on the helpdesk have increased from less than a minute to
    around 1/2 an hour, and we are having difficulty getting emails
    answered.

    We believe that as soon as the majority of our UBS users are
    provisioned, that we will have more than enough helpdesk staff and our
    service levels will rise back to 'excellent'. We expect this to be
    somewhere in early December, and hopefully sooner.

    ROLLOUT OF NEW CUSTOMER SERVICE INTERFACE

    We have been developing a new online customer management system for
    the last year and a half, and are just starting to roll this out now.
    Our old cusotmer interface on the website was offline for part of last
    week, and we apologise for the fact that this was slightly longer than
    expected.

    Services such as personal websites, domain registration, email
    services, ordering DSL etc, will all be integrated into the members
    section over the coming couple of weeks. All the ability is there in
    the system now, but we just need to rollout and manage the interface
    in an orderly fashion.

    thank you for your support during this period.

    Regards
    Seeby Woodhouse

    MD Orcon Internet
    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> [...]
    > service levels will rise back to 'excellent'. We expect this to be
    > somewhere in early December, and hopefully sooner.
    >
    > ROLLOUT OF NEW CUSTOMER SERVICE INTERFACE
    >
    > We have been developing a new online customer management system for
    > the last year and a half, and are just starting to roll this out now.
    > Our old cusotmer interface on the website was offline for part of last
    > week, and we apologise for the fact that this was slightly longer than
    > expected.
    >
    > Services such as personal websites, domain registration, email
    > services, ordering DSL etc, will all be integrated into the members
    > section over the coming couple of weeks. All the ability is there in
    > the system now, but we just need to rollout and manage the interface
    > in an orderly fashion.
    >

    > thank you for your support during this period.

    Thanks for that Seeby, there has been quite a lot of discussion in here
    regarding UBS and Orcon, and it is good to see you responding personally.

    Cheers
    Chris
    ChrisOD, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
    > Hi there Everyone.

    <Snip>

    Thanks for the status report Seeby. My latency has improved over the last
    two days but is still twice as slow as it was.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    XPD Guest

    "Mr Bond" <> wrote in message
    > I second that. You don't see Ms Teresa Gattung/Telecom or Ms Rosemary
    > Howard/Telstraclear (or even Ms Annette Presley/Quicksilver, Jeeze
    > anyone smell a conspiracy!) in here mixing it with the masses. Keep
    > up the good work.

    Err... Annette Presley has nothing to do with QSI.... thats Slingshot IIRC.

    But yeah, its good when the ISP keeps the public informe dof whats going on
    :)
    XPD, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    mark Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: ORCON UBS AND HELPDESK UPDATE
    > From: "XPD" <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >

    > "Mr Bond" <> wrote in message
    >> I second that. You don't see Ms Teresa Gattung/Telecom or Ms
    >> Rosemary Howard/Telstraclear (or even Ms Annette Presley/Quicksilver,
    >> Jeeze anyone smell a conspiracy!) in here mixing it with the masses.
    >> Keep up the good work.

    > Err... Annette Presley has nothing to do with QSI.... thats Slingshot
    > IIRC.
    >
    > But yeah, its good when the ISP keeps the public informe dof whats
    > going on
    >:)

    And I third that. I personally find I'm a lot more tolerant of problems
    when I know what the hell is happening in the background. It's dead silence
    that normally pisses me off :)
    mark, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Brendan Guest

    On 15 Nov 2004 19:02:42 -0800, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

    > Hi there Everyone.
    >
    > Currently we are working through several projects:
    >
    > - UBS provisioning and troubleshooting
    > - Helpdesk performance levels
    > - Rollout of new customer service centre.

    Thanks Seeby, this goes a long way towards restoring faith in Orcon for
    many people I think as we can see the problems are known at the top and are
    being worked on.

    I hope it doesn't last too long, and i hope you understand that some of the
    comments on here are more frustration than malice.

    --

    .... Brendan

    The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,'' either is asked to
    `behave' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn't it
    terrific!''

    Note: All my comments are copyright 16/11/2004 5:47:59 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Nov 16, 2004