    and mail servers and listen to a lot of streaming QT audio.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 29, 2005

  2. On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:29:16 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > What are the pros and cons, please? Am I better off paying Telecom for
    > my 2MBit, 10GB per month ADSL and Orcon just for the admin, or is
    > Orcon's own 2MBit plan as good?
    >
    > I play the occasional online game, host my own very low-usage web, ftp
    > and mail servers and listen to a lot of streaming QT audio.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    My inclination would be stay on the 2Mbit Telecom Jetstream Plan if you are
    already on it and finding the overall performance satisfactory. Currently
    I am on the 256k Telecom Jetstream Explorer plan via Orcon and as far as
    the connection side of things go, it has been pretty reliable.

    As such, I would recommending waiting it out and see what others feel about
    the 2Mbit plans before jumping in yourself, reasons being...

    1) Orcon's free offer of transferring without incurring the $99 churn fee
    expired yesterday.
    2) For me, when they released their 256k bitstream flatrate offer, I
    Decided not to jump on their UBS product right away to instead wait it out
    to see how others were finding it, as a result, this has saved me from
    potentially months of anguish and hair pulling.
    Pacific Dragon, Apr 29, 2005

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    steve Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > 2) For me, when they released their 256k bitstream flatrate offer, I
    > Decided not to jump on their UBS product right away to instead wait it out
    > to see how others were finding it, as a result, this has saved me from
    > potentially months of anguish and hair pulling.

    Good advice in hindsight.

    I did the same.....and my service has been very reliable.

    I'd like to go Orcon UBS 2mb.....but not until everyone agrees it's good,
    solid and delivers the throughput promised.
    steve, Apr 29, 2005
  4. Pacific Dragon <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:29:16 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    > > What are the pros and cons, please? Am I better off paying Telecom for
    > > my 2MBit, 10GB per month ADSL and Orcon just for the admin, or is
    > > Orcon's own 2MBit plan as good?
    > >
    > > I play the occasional online game, host my own very low-usage web, ftp
    > > and mail servers and listen to a lot of streaming QT audio.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > My inclination would be stay on the 2Mbit Telecom Jetstream Plan if you are
    > already on it and finding the overall performance satisfactory. Currently
    > I am on the 256k Telecom Jetstream Explorer plan via Orcon and as far as
    > the connection side of things go, it has been pretty reliable.
    >
    > As such, I would recommending waiting it out and see what others feel about
    > the 2Mbit plans before jumping in yourself, reasons being...
    >
    > 1) Orcon's free offer of transferring without incurring the $99 churn fee
    > expired yesterday.
    > 2) For me, when they released their 256k bitstream flatrate offer, I
    > Decided not to jump on their UBS product right away to instead wait it out
    > to see how others were finding it, as a result, this has saved me from
    > potentially months of anguish and hair pulling.

    Thanks for the advice. I worried I was being over-cautious, but had
    heard some disturbing tales of poor speed and high latency for UBS
    connections :-( My first instinct is to move away from Telecom at all
    costs, but I'm glad I held on. You're not the first person to say so
    since I began asking around yesterday.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 29, 2005