Orcon strikes again part 2.5 IP address change

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Just when I though there was nothing else Orcon could %$#@ up they
    decided to change my IP without telling me.

    Even though I canceled my UBS they went ahead with the change over.

    I spent 1/2 hour waiting on someone to answer the phone this afternoon
    to tell me that the change over was taking place and thats why the ADSL
    was down. I was told it takes 4 to 6 hours (I don't know if that
    includes tea breaks) but no one thought to tell me that the IP was going
    to be changed - it says on the email that the log in is the only thing
    to be changed.

    I only found out cause I though I'd try the accounts page (via dial up,
    which for some reason they though I'd want canceled now that I had UBS)
    which just happens to be working again (was not meant to be up till
    Monday) and there it was - the reason why I my ADSL won't work.

    On the positive side, I can now confirm that Orcon have %$#@ up
    everything they have ever done to my account - except for signing me up
    - I think that was my %$#@ up LOL

    Are these people all high on Acid or what <sigh>

    As a matter of interest the IP is 60.234.132.xxx

    I might give a whirl.....

    --
     
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 12, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 19:07:
    > Just when I though there was nothing else Orcon could %$#@ up they
    > decided to change my IP without telling me.
    >
    > Even though I canceled my UBS they went ahead with the change over.
    >
    > I spent 1/2 hour waiting on someone to answer the phone this afternoon
    > to tell me that the change over was taking place and thats why the ADSL
    > was down. I was told it takes 4 to 6 hours (I don't know if that
    > includes tea breaks) but no one thought to tell me that the IP was going
    > to be changed - it says on the email that the log in is the only thing
    > to be changed.
    >
    > I only found out cause I though I'd try the accounts page (via dial up,
    > which for some reason they though I'd want canceled now that I had UBS)
    > which just happens to be working again (was not meant to be up till
    > Monday) and there it was - the reason why I my ADSL won't work.
    >
    > On the positive side, I can now confirm that Orcon have %$#@ up
    > everything they have ever done to my account - except for signing me up
    > - I think that was my %$#@ up LOL
    >
    > Are these people all high on Acid or what <sigh>
    >
    > As a matter of interest the IP is 60.234.132.xxx
    >
    > I might give a whirl.....
    >

    What difference does it make that the IP is different, are you not
    getting your IP from the ISP or did you just assume an IP.

    I am fast getting the impression that you are the sort of customer an
    ISP actually dosnt want.

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    Geek used to be a 4 letter word now it's a 6 figure number
     
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 19:07:
    >
    >> Just when I though there was nothing else Orcon could %$#@ up they
    >> decided to change my IP without telling me.
    >>
    >> Even though I canceled my UBS they went ahead with the change over.
    >>
    >> I spent 1/2 hour waiting on someone to answer the phone this afternoon
    >> to tell me that the change over was taking place and thats why the
    >> ADSL was down. I was told it takes 4 to 6 hours (I don't know if that
    >> includes tea breaks) but no one thought to tell me that the IP was
    >> going to be changed - it says on the email that the log in is the only
    >> thing to be changed.
    >>
    >> I only found out cause I though I'd try the accounts page (via dial
    >> up, which for some reason they though I'd want canceled now that I had
    >> UBS) which just happens to be working again (was not meant to be up
    >> till Monday) and there it was - the reason why I my ADSL won't work.
    >>
    >> On the positive side, I can now confirm that Orcon have %$#@ up
    >> everything they have ever done to my account - except for signing me
    >> up - I think that was my %$#@ up LOL
    >>
    >> Are these people all high on Acid or what <sigh>
    >>
    >> As a matter of interest the IP is 60.234.132.xxx
    >>
    >> I might give a whirl.....
    >>

    > What difference does it make that the IP is different, are you not
    > getting your IP from the ISP or did you just assume an IP.
    >
    > I am fast getting the impression that you are the sort of customer an
    > ISP actually dosnt want.
    >

    The static IP was changed and I was not told.

    The fact that I was not told is the problem. It was only by luck that I
    found out that information.

    What I was told was that only the log in ID was changed i.e
    @fastadsl.net.nz was to be changed to @orcon.net.nz

    As far as your impressions are concerned, well you can only have
    misunderstood me. Orcon just hasn't answered some questions and I was
    not given all the information I required for the UBS change over despite
    the fact that I wanted to cancel it, actually, I was given
    dis-information which is even worse.

    I consider myself a good customer, I always pay my bills on time and in
    full and only ever complain when I feel I really need to. In the case
    of Orcon it would be fair to say that "everything that could go wrong
    has gone wrong" and this applies to everything they have done when it
    comes to human intervention on my account.

    There has been 1 relatively minor technical issue which got resolved.
    This was to do with mail. It just happened that they were planning to
    upgrade something which in turn, just happened to solve some of the
    problems I was having with Pegasus which I hadn't ever had with any
    other mail servers. In the end I switched to Thunderbird which I am
    quite happy with.

    The only other technical complaint I have had was the news service,
    which I have resolved by finding an alternative provider.

    I also had an issue with the accounts department who told me 3 times on
    the phone (3 different people) and once in email that my credit card
    details were deleted from their system, then, some weeks later when I
    added a dial up account they sent me out the paper work to sett up the
    billing with my credit card details on the form as a billing option.
    That really pissed me off, no one likes being lied to, and I find it
    hard to believe that 4 separate people could make the same mistake.

    If Orcon, or you, consider me the kind of customer an ISP doesn't want,
    Orcon only have themselves to blame.

    I actually decided to change to UBS because it would allow my ISP to
    make more money out of the service they were providing me which I felt
    would make it easier for them to provide a better service AND make a
    profit. The fact that there is no data cap doesn't matter to me as I've
    never gone over the 3GB limit of the jetsurf account I had. I have done
    this with some cost to me - the change over happened 3 days into my
    Telecom billing cycle which was over a month after I signed up - then
    theres all the agro I have had to endure.

    I doubt that they have ever made any money out of me considering the
    amount of time they have spent trying to straighten out the mistakes
    they have made.

    I joined Orcon because they are a New Zealand company and many people
    speak highly of them.

    My experience has been the complete opposite to what I expected and I
    reserve the right to make that known.

    Did you notice the subject ? " .... part 2.5 ....." as in "Hot shots
    part 5 and a 1/4" or what ever it was. I'm trying to see the funny side
    to all of this, but your comments are not helping, and if you take that
    personally you may be in need of a humor implant :)


    --
     
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 12, 2004
    #3
  4. Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:14:
    Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a few
    things to change including my IP so that I end up with one managed in
    the pool for the new plan


    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    Geek used to be a 4 letter word now it's a 6 figure number
     
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2004
    #4
  5. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:14:
    > Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a few
    > things to change including my IP so that I end up with one managed in
    > the pool for the new plan
    >
    >

    As I said, I was given certain information and told that was all I
    needed. If someone tells me thats all the information I require I don't
    automatically assume I need more.

    I don't understand why you always seem to want to turn this into
    something personal, between you and I, like you have to defend Orcon's
    honor, or something. I really don't care how many clue's you think you
    have compared to me generally, least of all when it comes to networking.
    I would expect you to know more than me about this subject as I
    understand you are in the trade, and I'm not.

    The only mistake I made was to take Orcon's information at face value,
    which I think is a reasonable thing for me to expect to be able to do.


    --
     
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 12, 2004
    #5
  6. Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:55:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:14:
    >> Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a
    >> few things to change including my IP so that I end up with one managed
    >> in the pool for the new plan
    >>
    >>

    > As I said, I was given certain information and told that was all I
    > needed. If someone tells me thats all the information I require I don't
    > automatically assume I need more.
    >
    > I don't understand why you always seem to want to turn this into
    > something personal, between you and I, like you have to defend Orcon's
    > honor, or something. I really don't care how many clue's you think you
    > have compared to me generally, least of all when it comes to networking.
    > I would expect you to know more than me about this subject as I
    > understand you are in the trade, and I'm not.
    >
    > The only mistake I made was to take Orcon's information at face value,
    > which I think is a reasonable thing for me to expect to be able to do.
    >
    >

    Nothing personel and as to defending Orcon, not likely at the moment. I
    have my own issue under resolution with them at the moment, unlike you I
    am not yelling in here foaming at the mouth, I am dealing with my
    supplier and keeping it between us, if it goes bad I will report it, if
    it goes right I will report it.

    We all know the ADSL plans situation is an issue (mainly timing) at the
    moment and we all expect a few issues because of the organisations
    involved. Your posts have unfourtunatly not added anything to the
    situation other than demonstarte your lack of paitence and skills.



    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    Geek used to be a 4 letter word now it's a 6 figure number
     
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2004
    #6
  7. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:55:
    >
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:14:
    >>> Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a
    >>> few things to change including my IP so that I end up with one
    >>> managed in the pool for the new plan
    >>>
    >>>

    >> As I said, I was given certain information and told that was all I
    >> needed. If someone tells me thats all the information I require I
    >> don't automatically assume I need more.
    >>
    >> I don't understand why you always seem to want to turn this into
    >> something personal, between you and I, like you have to defend Orcon's
    >> honor, or something. I really don't care how many clue's you think
    >> you have compared to me generally, least of all when it comes to
    >> networking. I would expect you to know more than me about this
    >> subject as I understand you are in the trade, and I'm not.
    >>
    >> The only mistake I made was to take Orcon's information at face value,
    >> which I think is a reasonable thing for me to expect to be able to do.
    >>
    >>

    > Nothing personel and as to defending Orcon, not likely at the moment. I
    > have my own issue under resolution with them at the moment, unlike you I
    > am not yelling in here foaming at the mouth, I am dealing with my
    > supplier and keeping it between us, if it goes bad I will report it, if
    > it goes right I will report it.
    >
    > We all know the ADSL plans situation is an issue (mainly timing) at the
    > moment and we all expect a few issues because of the organisations
    > involved. Your posts have unfourtunatly not added anything to the
    > situation other than demonstarte your lack of paitence and skills.
    >
    >
    >

    I have been dealing with my supplier too, it has gone bad, time after
    time, so I am reporting it here. I feel compelled to do so, just like
    agent Smith

    I do not have a lack of patience ( LOL, you really DO NOT know me), I
    have simply lost mine when it comes to Orcon. There is a difference.

    As far as my skills are concerned, you do not know what they are as you
    do not know me. So what if you know more about networking than me. It
    is not as big an issue for me, as it would appear to be to you.

    Perhaps you think I am making some of these thinks up that I am
    "reporting" after all they are pretty "out there", pretty "over the top"
    etc etc. I find it had to believe my self.

    If I was a mullet, I'd be stunned. :)


    --
     
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 12, 2004
    #7
  8. It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:21:06 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a few
    >things to change including my IP so that I end up with one managed in
    >the pool for the new plan


    If your ISP doesn't tell you, why should you expect/assume anything?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
     
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 12, 2004
    #8
  9. Waylon Kenning said the following on 12/11/2004 21:35:
    > It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:21:06 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >
    >>Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a few
    >>things to change including my IP so that I end up with one managed in
    >>the pool for the new plan

    >
    >
    > If your ISP doesn't tell you, why should you expect/assume anything?

    Because if a static IP is important to me I would know about ISP IP
    ranges and expect it to change if I change my plan.
    Also if I am going to set my ADSL up to use a fixed IP I would also have
    the same expectation

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    Geek used to be a 4 letter word now it's a 6 figure number
     
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2004
    #9
  10. Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 21:34:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:55:
    >>
    >>> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:14:
    >>>> Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a
    >>>> few things to change including my IP so that I end up with one
    >>>> managed in the pool for the new plan
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> As I said, I was given certain information and told that was all I
    >>> needed. If someone tells me thats all the information I require I
    >>> don't automatically assume I need more.
    >>>
    >>> I don't understand why you always seem to want to turn this into
    >>> something personal, between you and I, like you have to defend
    >>> Orcon's honor, or something. I really don't care how many clue's you
    >>> think you have compared to me generally, least of all when it comes
    >>> to networking. I would expect you to know more than me about this
    >>> subject as I understand you are in the trade, and I'm not.
    >>>
    >>> The only mistake I made was to take Orcon's information at face
    >>> value, which I think is a reasonable thing for me to expect to be
    >>> able to do.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Nothing personel and as to defending Orcon, not likely at the moment.
    >> I have my own issue under resolution with them at the moment, unlike
    >> you I am not yelling in here foaming at the mouth, I am dealing with
    >> my supplier and keeping it between us, if it goes bad I will report
    >> it, if it goes right I will report it.
    >>
    >> We all know the ADSL plans situation is an issue (mainly timing) at
    >> the moment and we all expect a few issues because of the organisations
    >> involved. Your posts have unfourtunatly not added anything to the
    >> situation other than demonstarte your lack of paitence and skills.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > I have been dealing with my supplier too, it has gone bad, time after
    > time, so I am reporting it here. I feel compelled to do so, just like
    > agent Smith
    >
    > I do not have a lack of patience ( LOL, you really DO NOT know me), I
    > have simply lost mine when it comes to Orcon. There is a difference.
    >
    > As far as my skills are concerned, you do not know what they are as you
    > do not know me. So what if you know more about networking than me. It
    > is not as big an issue for me, as it would appear to be to you.
    >
    > Perhaps you think I am making some of these thinks up that I am
    > "reporting" after all they are pretty "out there", pretty "over the top"
    > etc etc. I find it had to believe my self.
    >
    > If I was a mullet, I'd be stunned. :)
    >
    >

    Take the scissors to that hair cut man ;-)

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    Geek used to be a 4 letter word now it's a 6 figure number
     
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2004
    #10
  11. It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:13:32 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Because if a static IP is important to me I would know about ISP IP
    >ranges and expect it to change if I change my plan.
    >Also if I am going to set my ADSL up to use a fixed IP I would also have
    >the same expectation


    Why would you expect it to change if you're changing plans within the
    same company, no matter the underlying technology change that is
    occurring? It makes more sense to expect no change than to expect
    change. Either way, if I signed up for a static ISP, I'd expect my ISP
    to tell me my IP would change, rather that assume it'd change every
    time the wind blows.

    Would you expect your email address to change if your ISP switched
    email servers?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
     
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 12, 2004
    #11
  12. Waylon Kenning said the following on 12/11/2004 23:43:
    > It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:13:32 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >
    >>Because if a static IP is important to me I would know about ISP IP
    >>ranges and expect it to change if I change my plan.
    >>Also if I am going to set my ADSL up to use a fixed IP I would also have
    >>the same expectation

    >
    >
    > Why would you expect it to change if you're changing plans within the
    > same company, no matter the underlying technology change that is
    > occurring? It makes more sense to expect no change than to expect
    > change. Either way, if I signed up for a static ISP, I'd expect my ISP
    > to tell me my IP would change, rather that assume it'd change every
    > time the wind blows.
    >
    > Would you expect your email address to change if your ISP switched
    > email servers?

    No parallel between email address and IP, and yes if I change plans I
    would expect my static IP to change as needed for management purposes,
    your course should be teaching you a little bit of the reasons for this.

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    Geek used to be a 4 letter word now it's a 6 figure number
     
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2004
    #12
  13. It seems like Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:07:38 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >> Would you expect your email address to change if your ISP switched
    >> email servers?

    >No parallel between email address and IP, and yes if I change plans I
    >would expect my static IP to change as needed for management purposes,
    >your course should be teaching you a little bit of the reasons for this.


    Why is there no parallel? You sign up for an email service with the
    email address you want, and no matter what happens on the back end,
    you expect to have the same email address, unless they tell you
    otherwise. You sign up for a static IP address service with the IP
    address they assign you, and no matter what happens on the back end,
    you expect to have the same IP address, unless they tell you
    otherwise.

    If the change your IP address without you knowing, then doesn't that
    make it a dynamic IP address that changes at your ISP's will?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
     
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 12, 2004
    #13
  14. Waylon Kenning said the following on 13/11/2004 01:08:
    > It seems like Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:07:38 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >
    >>>Would you expect your email address to change if your ISP switched
    >>>email servers?

    >>
    >>No parallel between email address and IP, and yes if I change plans I
    >>would expect my static IP to change as needed for management purposes,
    >>your course should be teaching you a little bit of the reasons for this.

    >
    >
    > Why is there no parallel? You sign up for an email service with the
    > email address you want, and no matter what happens on the back end,
    > you expect to have the same email address, unless they tell you
    > otherwise. You sign up for a static IP address service with the IP
    > address they assign you, and no matter what happens on the back end,
    > you expect to have the same IP address, unless they tell you
    > otherwise.
    >
    > If the change your IP address without you knowing, then doesn't that
    > make it a dynamic IP address that changes at your ISP's will?

    There is no similarity since an IP address is usually dynamic and
    transparent to the user, except where a user wants a static and at that
    point they must have enought knowledge to understand IP addressing and
    the implications of changing service plans and the effect on that IP, if
    they dont they should.
    An email address is deliberately managed to maintain the address, IPs
    are managed to maintain consistancy of management and often are changed
    by issues beyond the ISP's control.

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    Geek used to be a 4 letter word now it's a 6 figure number
     
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2004
    #14
  15. Collector»NZ said the following on 13/11/2004 01:15:
    > Waylon Kenning said the following on 13/11/2004 01:08:
    >
    >> It seems like Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:07:38 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    >> <> said Blah blah blah...
    >>
    >>>> Would you expect your email address to change if your ISP switched
    >>>> email servers?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> No parallel between email address and IP, and yes if I change plans I
    >>> would expect my static IP to change as needed for management
    >>> purposes, your course should be teaching you a little bit of the
    >>> reasons for this.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Why is there no parallel? You sign up for an email service with the
    >> email address you want, and no matter what happens on the back end,
    >> you expect to have the same email address, unless they tell you
    >> otherwise. You sign up for a static IP address service with the IP
    >> address they assign you, and no matter what happens on the back end,
    >> you expect to have the same IP address, unless they tell you
    >> otherwise.
    >>
    >> If the change your IP address without you knowing, then doesn't that
    >> make it a dynamic IP address that changes at your ISP's will?

    >
    > There is no similarity since an IP address is usually dynamic and
    > transparent to the user, except where a user wants a static and at that
    > point they must have enought knowledge to understand IP addressing and
    > the implications of changing service plans and the effect on that IP, if
    > they dont they should.
    > An email address is deliberately managed to maintain the address, IPs
    > are managed to maintain consistancy of management and often are changed
    > by issues beyond the ISP's control.
    >

    BTW You change your type of service you change your IP, its still static
    but has to change to accomodate your request for a different service.

    Ask your tutors about routing management and the difficulty of arbitary
    IPs in routing groups.

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    Geek used to be a 4 letter word now it's a 6 figure number
     
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2004
    #15
  16. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Waylon Kenning said the following on 13/11/2004 01:08:
    >
    >> It seems like Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:07:38 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    >> <> said Blah blah blah...
    >>
    >>>> Would you expect your email address to change if your ISP switched
    >>>> email servers?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> No parallel between email address and IP, and yes if I change plans I
    >>> would expect my static IP to change as needed for management
    >>> purposes, your course should be teaching you a little bit of the
    >>> reasons for this.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Why is there no parallel? You sign up for an email service with the
    >> email address you want, and no matter what happens on the back end,
    >> you expect to have the same email address, unless they tell you
    >> otherwise. You sign up for a static IP address service with the IP
    >> address they assign you, and no matter what happens on the back end,
    >> you expect to have the same IP address, unless they tell you
    >> otherwise.
    >>
    >> If the change your IP address without you knowing, then doesn't that
    >> make it a dynamic IP address that changes at your ISP's will?

    >
    > There is no similarity since an IP address is usually dynamic and
    > transparent to the user, except where a user wants a static and at that
    > point they must have enought knowledge to understand IP addressing and
    > the implications of changing service plans and the effect on that IP, if
    > they dont they should.
    > An email address is deliberately managed to maintain the address, IPs
    > are managed to maintain consistancy of management and often are changed
    > by issues beyond the ISP's control.
    >

    In my particular case I was assigned a static IP by default, I didn't
    ask for it, and I'm not bothered either way at this point in time as I
    have no use for a static IP, apart form that fact that it saves looking
    it up if I need it.

    You have now raised an interesting point.

    All of Orcon's Jetsurf customers were, AFAIK, given static IP's - in the
    222.x block that had those problems being blocked.

    Of those people there is bound to be a varying range of "experience"
    amongst those users. If all of the UBS conversions are being assigned
    new IP's then it would seem a more prudent idea to advise people of the
    change to the IP as a certain number of them might not think to look.
    In my case I went looking to see if there were any settings that needed
    changing and, by luck I was able to log into the "my Account" service
    page (remember, the "my Account" page was not meant to be back up till
    the 15th) and find the information I needed.

    From a customer service POV it makes better sense to advise people of
    all the information they need to know, not just some of it, and then
    expect people to wait in a telephone cue to ask what the IP is (had the
    "My Account" page not being reinstated early).

    The email I received was an automated email, obviously using a template
    to fill in my log on ID. If this was the case, then they should have
    put in an extra field to note the new IP - I don't think that is
    expecting to much, and would certainly save Orcon a lot of work.

    Another thing they could have done was explain the process - i.e that it
    takes 4 to 6 hours to do the change over. When my ADSL went down today
    I had no idea if it had just gone down or if it was being converted to
    UBS as that was meant to happen 2 days ago, likewise I had no idea that
    the conversion would take 4 to 6 hours, nor did I know that there was a
    further delay to the change over date. All of this information could
    have been easily supplied to me and all the other people effected and
    if that had been done it would have saved Orcon and their customers time
    and money.

    I think this highlight's another example of poor customer service on the
    part of Orcon. I hope someone from Orcon actually reads this and thinks
    about it, even though I have bagged them over it. Remember, not all of
    Orcon's customers are "expert's" at networking and I sure there are a
    lot of users that know less about it than me am I'm certainly no expert,
    but then I have no need to be. I know what I know and only know what I
    have to know - and I'm still alive :)
    --
     
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 12, 2004
    #16
  17. Chris Mayhew

    MarkH Guest

    Collector»NZ <> wrote in news:2vjnqpF2n2igvU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > There is no similarity since an IP address is usually dynamic and
    > transparent to the user, except where a user wants a static and at that
    > point they must have enought knowledge to understand IP addressing and
    > the implications of changing service plans and the effect on that IP, if
    > they dont they should.


    Are you really this stupid?

    I have many customers that have a static IP, because it is needed for
    remote access, those customers would have no idea that the number would be
    likely to change if they changed plans and they do not understand IP
    addressing and there is no reason why they should.

    Why does the customer need to understand anything, the network is working
    and they don't worry about the technical reasons behind that. If it works
    it works, if not they have my cellphone number. If their ISP tells them
    that the static IP address needs to change and will now be a.b.c.d then
    they will call me and pass on the info, and ask if there is anything that
    needs to be done because of that change.

    If their ISPs change their static IP then they should be informed, why
    would you think that the ISP is not obliged to provide this information?

    I understand IP addressing, but I'm smart enough not to expect all internet
    users to understand it. I realise that almost none of my customers know
    what an IP mask is or why the number 255.255.255.0 is used, almost none
    know why their internal numbers start with 192.168. Almost none really
    understand why their router has 2 IP numbers.

    Similarly my mechanic doesn't think that because I drive my car I must have
    enough knowledge to understand how the cars computer works and what systems
    it interfaces with and what sensors it uses.



    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
    "There are 10 types of people, those that
    understand binary and those that don't"
     
    MarkH, Nov 12, 2004
    #17
  18. Chris Mayhew

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:43:11 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    >It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:13:32 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    ><> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >>Because if a static IP is important to me I would know about ISP IP
    >>ranges and expect it to change if I change my plan.
    >>Also if I am going to set my ADSL up to use a fixed IP I would also have
    >>the same expectation

    >
    >Why would you expect it to change if you're changing plans within the
    >same company, no matter the underlying technology change that is
    >occurring? It makes more sense to expect no change than to expect
    >change. Either way, if I signed up for a static ISP, I'd expect my ISP
    >to tell me my IP would change, rather that assume it'd change every
    >time the wind blows.
    >

    Probably because a different router or other network device is used
    for that service.
    >
    >Would you expect your email address to change if your ISP switched
    >email servers?
    >

    It's possible. For instance, if the company branding changes, eg if
    Xtra suddenly decided to make all email addresses @xtramsn.co.nz
    instead of @xtra.co.nz. Or your smaller ISP got bought out.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Nov 12, 2004
    #18
  19. Chris Mayhew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Enkidu wrote:


    >
    > It's possible. For instance, if the company branding changes, eg if
    > Xtra suddenly decided to make all email addresses @xtramsn.co.nz
    > instead of @xtra.co.nz. Or your smaller ISP got bought out.
    >


    It happened me, and likely to others here, quite a few years ago. Wasn't
    a small ISP that got bought out, either. Got an email address I was
    certain would be around forever - , and since I was using
    OS/2 at the time, and there wasn't a lot of ISPs around then, I was
    happy enough with that.

    Then IBM decided to get out of the ISP business, email addresses all
    changed to
     
    -=rjh=-, Nov 12, 2004
    #19
  20. MarkH said the following on 13/11/2004 07:55:
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote in news:2vjnqpF2n2igvU1@uni-
    > berlin.de:
    >
    >
    >>There is no similarity since an IP address is usually dynamic and
    >>transparent to the user, except where a user wants a static and at that
    >>point they must have enought knowledge to understand IP addressing and
    >>the implications of changing service plans and the effect on that IP, if
    >>they dont they should.

    >
    >
    > Are you really this stupid?
    >
    > I have many customers that have a static IP, because it is needed for
    > remote access, those customers would have no idea that the number would be
    > likely to change if they changed plans and they do not understand IP
    > addressing and there is no reason why they should.
    >
    > Why does the customer need to understand anything, the network is working
    > and they don't worry about the technical reasons behind that. If it works
    > it works, if not they have my cellphone number. If their ISP tells them
    > that the static IP address needs to change and will now be a.b.c.d then
    > they will call me and pass on the info, and ask if there is anything that
    > needs to be done because of that change.
    >
    > If their ISPs change their static IP then they should be informed, why
    > would you think that the ISP is not obliged to provide this information?
    >
    > I understand IP addressing, but I'm smart enough not to expect all internet
    > users to understand it. I realise that almost none of my customers know
    > what an IP mask is or why the number 255.255.255.0 is used, almost none
    > know why their internal numbers start with 192.168. Almost none really
    > understand why their router has 2 IP numbers.
    >
    > Similarly my mechanic doesn't think that because I drive my car I must have
    > enough knowledge to understand how the cars computer works and what systems
    > it interfaces with and what sensors it uses.
    >
    >
    >

    But as you say they are your customers and assuredly you do have enough
    knowledge (I hope or I have misjudged you) and as your customers you
    would manage any change of service they required. If they do it them
    selves to cut you out of a dollar rtehy are silly and get what they deserve

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    Geek used to be a 4 letter word now it's a 6 figure number
     
    Collector»NZ, Nov 12, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. joevan

    Dell strikes again.

    joevan, Aug 20, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    27
    Views:
    1,117
    beachman
    Aug 22, 2005
  2. Kyler Laird

    Nufone strikes again...

    Kyler Laird, Jul 24, 2006, in forum: VOIP
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    498
    Jonathan Roberts
    Jul 24, 2006
  3. Annika1980

    FORGOTTEN 400 STRIKES AGAIN !!!

    Annika1980, Sep 2, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    420
    Annika1980
    Sep 2, 2004
  4. Chris Mayhew

    Orcon strikes again

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 10, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    44
    Views:
    1,020
  5. Tony Neville
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,622
    steve
    Sep 22, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page