Orcon smtp problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bAZZ, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    A friend has signed up with orcon and smtp is not working. I had a brief
    look today and everything is set up perfect on machine (XP home). I
    tried to ring Orcon but after 15mins waiting on phone had to leave. He
    can't (even holding hand over phone) fix anything so I have to try
    tomorrow.

    Problem is pop3 is ok and he got a mail from orcon welcoming him. Tries
    to send and gets an error smtp 553 or 335. Forget !!! That says spam not
    allowed - go away.

    I tried to email him from here and using gmail and both were bounced
    back with no spam-go away.

    I'm going to return tomorrow and half little time. If Orcon again take
    15mins to answer phone I will have to leave. Any ideas on how to get it
    fixed quickly ???

    Thanks
    bAZZ.

    bAZZ, Oct 13, 2004

  2. bAZZ

    EMB Guest

    bAZZ wrote:

    > Problem is pop3 is ok and he got a mail from orcon welcoming him. Tries
    > to send and gets an error smtp 553 or 335. Forget !!! That says spam not
    > allowed - go away.

    Orcon's server responds with this when it gets an invalid email address.
    Check what address you're sending the mail to, and also what your
    friend is trying to log in as.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply
    EMB, Oct 13, 2004

  3. bAZZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    EMB said the following on 13/10/2004 17:01:
    > bAZZ wrote:
    >
    >> Problem is pop3 is ok and he got a mail from orcon welcoming him.
    >> Tries to send and gets an error smtp 553 or 335. Forget !!! That says
    >> spam not allowed - go away.

    > Orcon's server responds with this when it gets an invalid email address.
    > Check what address you're sending the mail to, and also what your
    > friend is trying to log in as.

    Not just in the to but also in the From field.
    Collector_NZ, Oct 13, 2004
  4. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <cki950$pv2$>, says...
    > bAZZ wrote:
    >
    > > Problem is pop3 is ok and he got a mail from orcon welcoming him. Tries
    > > to send and gets an error smtp 553 or 335. Forget !!! That says spam not
    > > allowed - go away.

    > Orcon's server responds with this when it gets an invalid email address.
    > Check what address you're sending the mail to, and also what your
    > friend is trying to log in as.

    Thanx for that. The addy is same as log in name. XXXXX@orcon for email
    and dial up is XXXXX. Can use it to initiate a dial up connection,
    download newsgroups, surf etc. It just rejects the email addy. Just hope
    that tommorrow orcon answer phone.
    It was set up over net so maybe the email addy has not been done yet.
    Wait and see tomorrow.

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Oct 13, 2004
  5. bAZZ

    Paul Conway Guest

    "bAZZ" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cki950$pv2$>, says...
    >> bAZZ wrote:
    >>
    >> > Problem is pop3 is ok and he got a mail from orcon welcoming him. Tries
    >> > to send and gets an error smtp 553 or 335. Forget !!! That says spam
    >> > not
    >> > allowed - go away.

    >> Orcon's server responds with this when it gets an invalid email address.
    >> Check what address you're sending the mail to, and also what your
    >> friend is trying to log in as.
    >>

    > Thanx for that. The addy is same as log in name. XXXXX@orcon for email
    > and dial up is XXXXX. Can use it to initiate a dial up connection,
    > download newsgroups, surf etc. It just rejects the email addy. Just hope
    > that tommorrow orcon answer phone.
    > It was set up over net so maybe the email addy has not been done yet.
    > Wait and see tomorrow.
    >
    > bAZZ

    Orcon's smtp server "mail.orcon.net.nz" supports authentication and ssl,
    just enable authentication using the orcon username/password and it will
    happily let send from anywhere

    Paul Conway, Oct 13, 2004
  6. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <416cecb4$1_4@127.0.0.1>, says...
    > "bAZZ" <> wrote in message

    > >> Orcon's server responds with this when it gets an invalid email address.
    > >> Check what address you're sending the mail to, and also what your
    > >> friend is trying to log in as.
    > >>

    > > Thanx for that. The addy is same as log in name. XXXXX@orcon for email
    > > and dial up is XXXXX. Can use it to initiate a dial up connection,
    > > download newsgroups, surf etc. It just rejects the email addy. Just hope
    > > that tommorrow orcon answer phone.
    > > It was set up over net so maybe the email addy has not been done yet.
    > > Wait and see tomorrow.
    > >
    > > bAZZ
    > >

    > Orcon's smtp server "mail.orcon.net.nz" supports authentication and ssl,
    > just enable authentication using the orcon username/password and it will
    > happily let send from anywhere

    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

    cool. I'm heading over later so will try that before giving orcon a
    ring. Thanx.
    bAZZ..>>
    bAZZ, Oct 13, 2004