orcon problems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mike, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi
    Anyone having problems with Orcon?

    Mid Feb we had a 2 day DSL outage with Orcon.
    They had us try all sorts of things
    reboot pc
    reboot router
    factor reset router
    unplug phones

    none of them fixed it.
    Then they blamed Telecom and said Telecom had to reset some
    device but it would take a day to do it.

    Ever since then we have had lots of DSL outages.
    EG, tonight since about 6:30pm I've had DSL outages
    none stop. I normally can get online for 2 minutes or so before
    it goes down for about 4-6 minutes.

    I've logged a fault request with Orcon last week and had the
    resulting
    reboot pc
    reboot router
    factor reset router
    unplug phones

    but no real diagnostics.
    The last thing they said was for me to get a new router, even though
    this one works fine when DSL connection is up.

    I've had DSL via Xtra for several years and only recently switched to
    Orcon . Had no such problems with Xtra.

    Also, whilst internet is unavailble my DSL light is still green on
    my router (Dynalink RTA-220). DSL status also remains as SHOW TIME.

    Any ideas ?
    Im most likely going to switch to IHUG pretty soon.

    Mike, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Mike

    krazy Bob Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Anyone having problems with Orcon?
    >
    > Mid Feb we had a 2 day DSL outage with Orcon.
    > They had us try all sorts of things
    > reboot pc
    > reboot router
    > factor reset router
    > unplug phones
    >
    > none of them fixed it.
    > Then they blamed Telecom and said Telecom had to reset some
    > device but it would take a day to do it.
    >
    > Ever since then we have had lots of DSL outages.
    > EG, tonight since about 6:30pm I've had DSL outages
    > none stop. I normally can get online for 2 minutes or so before
    > it goes down for about 4-6 minutes.
    >
    > I've logged a fault request with Orcon last week and had the
    > resulting
    > reboot pc
    > reboot router
    > factor reset router
    > unplug phones
    >
    > but no real diagnostics.
    > The last thing they said was for me to get a new router, even though
    > this one works fine when DSL connection is up.
    >
    > I've had DSL via Xtra for several years and only recently switched to
    > Orcon . Had no such problems with Xtra.
    >
    > Also, whilst internet is unavailble my DSL light is still green on
    > my router (Dynalink RTA-220). DSL status also remains as SHOW TIME.

    Sounds *alot* alike what ~misfit~ was having before he switched over

    KB

    krazy Bob, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Im starting to think its Orcons PPP server as the DSL
    line up time is not being reset each time I loose connection.
    Also I watched the PPP status and it went
    DEAD, Authenticating , Connecting, Connected, DEAD

    Mike, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Mike

    Torrential Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:16:55 +1200, Mike <> wrote:

    yup.. Orcon serveice is getting worse !

    How the hell it get the ISP of the year !

    its a big joke

    Torrential, Mar 23, 2006
  5. Mike

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Hi
    > Anyone having problems with Orcon?

    No, absolutely fine here - fewer outages than normal, good torrent
    speeds, etc. Wellington, on the 256 "unlimited" plan.

    Having said that, it'll be crap tomorrow :)

    Where abouts are you?

    Sounds like you are having similar problems to misfit, which turned out
    to be Telecom eventually (I think, his problem was that Orcon were
    useless at dealing with the situation - which is stupid, it is better
    for an ISP to keep a customer than to attract a new one).

    -=rjh=-, Mar 23, 2006
  6. Mike wrote:
    > Im starting to think its Orcons PPP server as the DSL
    > line up time is not being reset each time I loose connection.
    > Also I watched the PPP status and it went
    > DEAD, Authenticating , Connecting, Connected, DEAD

    If you look in your Orcon account logs you will see PPP connections of
    approximately 2:20 seconds, while the DSL connection will remain up.

    I have two routers configured for use with Orcon. One Dynalink RTA-210,
    and a DSE XH1169, and while the Dynalink seems to give me a more
    reliable connection these days, I still believe the problem is with
    Orcon PPP. Both modems, if I'm lucky, will stay connected for a week at
    a time.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 23, 2006
  7. Mike

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Hi
    > Anyone having problems with Orcon?

    <snip Oh-so-familiar tale of woe>

    Get the hell out of your contract with Orcon, they suck.

    Don't cancel the service yourself, let your next ISP do it for you. OrCON
    are the worst company in the world for stopping a service with. Their
    service sucks so bad that they're having to keep people who want to leave
    for 45 days so that Seeby can keep up his Ferrari payments.

    Actrix have been generally good to me. I hear good things about Ihug too.
    However, things are going to change with ISPs plans real soon. OrCON already
    have changed theirs as they are in Telecom's back pocket, Actrix have
    announced (Two days ago) that they will be offering new plans "soon". The
    market is going to be changing a lot as telecon try to weasel their way out
    of finally being called to order for the milking of every New Zealander for
    several years.

    Good luck, with OrCON, you need it.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 24, 2006
  8. Mike

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Anyone having problems with Orcon?

    > No, absolutely fine here - fewer outages than normal, good torrent
    > speeds, etc. Wellington, on the 256 "unlimited" plan.

    The one that's going to be phased out? While I'm sorry for you guys that
    it's going at least I don't feel as stupid now for changing from that plan
    myself to a "2M" one that was twice the price (for the amount of data I
    used) and no faster. ;-)

    > Having said that, it'll be crap tomorrow :)

    A fact of life with OrCON.

    > Where abouts are you?
    >
    > Sounds like you are having similar problems to misfit, which turned
    > out to be Telecom eventually

    Actually it was a combination of Telecom and OrCON. When I changed to Actrix
    I was still getting PPP drop-outs but only about 25% of the amount I was
    getting with OrCON. That being said, Actrix still thought that the
    disconnects (25% of what OrCON said was acceptable) weren't good enough and
    had a Telecom tech at my house less than 14 hours later.

    > (I think, his problem was that Orcon were
    > useless at dealing with the situation - which is stupid, it is better
    > for an ISP to keep a customer than to attract a new one).

    Yeah, my problem was the same as (or similar to) Mike's. All OrCON know how
    to do is run you through a routine, the one he mentioned. They even try to
    get you to buy another modem/router rather than bother Telecom, must be part
    of their "special relationship" with Telecom. I had to go to Actrix to get
    Telecom involved. They had it all sorted within 20 hours of my phone call.
    Including a visit from a Telecom tech.

    Suggestion: Try emailing seeby (at) orcon (dot) net (dot) nz and telling him
    of your problems and ask for them to be resolved. Go straight to the top.
    His answer will be very telling. The helpdesk told me that my experience of
    over 50 disconnects a month wasn't considered excessive by them. See what
    Seeby says.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 24, 2006
  9. Mike

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> Mike wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Anyone having problems with Orcon?

    >> No, absolutely fine here - fewer outages than normal, good torrent
    >> speeds, etc. Wellington, on the 256 "unlimited" plan.

    > The one that's going to be phased out?

    Nah, its the one that just increased from $49.95 to $109.95 overnight :)

    -=rjh=-, Mar 24, 2006
  10. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Actrix have been generally good to me. I hear good things about Ihug too.
    > However, things are going to change with ISPs plans real soon. OrCON already
    > have changed theirs as they are in Telecom's back pocket, Actrix have
    > announced (Two days ago) that they will be offering new plans "soon". The
    > market is going to be changing a lot as telecon try to weasel their way out
    > of finally being called to order for the milking of every New Zealander for
    > several years.

    Actrix told me last week they would be offering new plans soon. I think
    they are holding off to see what other ISPs are offering.

    The impression I got was that they would be offering more speed and
    daily cap options. Personally I'd like to see the ability to download
    2GB per day on the 256k plan if I want to, as 350MB just isn't enough
    for my occasional large download.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 24, 2006
  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:

    <snip>

    > Suggestion: Try emailing seeby (at) orcon (dot) net (dot) nz and telling him
    > of your problems and ask for them to be resolved. Go straight to the top.
    > His answer will be very telling. The helpdesk told me that my experience of
    > over 50 disconnects a month wasn't considered excessive by them. See what
    > Seeby says.

    I've cc'ed him on my last few emails to orcon, along with the support
    manager and help desk manager. On their website they have a staff
    directory with everyones name and email addresses!

    what amazes me about this is I've still had no replies after 3 days of
    emails.

    Michael.

    Mike, Mar 24, 2006
  12. Mike

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Actrix have been generally good to me. I hear good things about Ihug
    >> too. However, things are going to change with ISPs plans real soon.
    >> OrCON already have changed theirs as they are in Telecom's back
    >> pocket, Actrix have announced (Two days ago) that they will be
    >> offering new plans "soon". The market is going to be changing a lot
    >> as telecon try to weasel their way out of finally being called to
    >> order for the milking of every New Zealander for several years.

    > Actrix told me last week they would be offering new plans soon. I
    > think they are holding off to see what other ISPs are offering.
    >
    > The impression I got was that they would be offering more speed and
    > daily cap options. Personally I'd like to see the ability to download
    > 2GB per day on the 256k plan if I want to, as 350MB just isn't enough
    > for my occasional large download.

    Same here. I'm only on the 2M/1GB/day plan for the occasional large
    downloads. (About 6 times a week. <g>) I'd be happy with 256kbps, 512kbps or
    1M speed. I almost never hit 2M anyway. I'd be more than happy to pay less
    for a "slower" connection with the same cap or the same price for a slower
    connection with a higher cap.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 24, 2006
  13. Mike

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>> No, absolutely fine here - fewer outages than normal, good torrent
    >>> speeds, etc. Wellington, on the 256 "unlimited" plan.

    >> The one that's going to be phased out?

    > Nah, its the one that just increased from $49.95 to $109.95 overnight
    > :)

    LOL!!!! See, to me that's called "phased out". <g>
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 24, 2006
  14. Mike

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> -=rjh=- wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Suggestion: Try emailing seeby (at) orcon (dot) net (dot) nz and
    >> telling him of your problems and ask for them to be resolved. Go
    >> straight to the top. His answer will be very telling. The helpdesk
    >> told me that my experience of over 50 disconnects a month wasn't
    >> considered excessive by them. See what Seeby says.

    > I've cc'ed him on my last few emails to orcon, along with the support
    > manager and help desk manager. On their website they have a staff
    > directory with everyones name and email addresses!
    >
    > what amazes me about this is I've still had no replies after 3 days of
    > emails.

    Strange, that doesn't amaze me in the slightest. Twice OrCON hinderdesk
    staff said they'd ring me back that afternoon, both times I didn't hear from
    them and I had to ring back a couple days later.

    LOL, they just billed me for $0.97 as Actrix were a bit slack in swapping my
    tolls over from OrCON and one call got caught in the interim.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 24, 2006
  15. Mike

    Jerry Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Actrix have been generally good to me.

    But he's been winging about them since he changed to them

    Jerry, Mar 24, 2006