    Any other recommendations for a reliable ISP?

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Mar 27, 2010

  2. In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:

    > So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    > like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    > phone service is OK?

    Just had a call from a friend who has his tolls on Orcon (he was careful to
    keep the call under an hour). He seems happy with them. I kept hearing a
    background AC hum, but he blamed that on the Uniden phone.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 27, 2010

  3. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 23:31:57 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    >> like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    >> phone service is OK?

    >Just had a call from a friend who has his tolls on Orcon (he was careful to
    >keep the call under an hour). He seems happy with them. I kept hearing a
    >background AC hum, but he blamed that on the Uniden phone.

    Thanks. Was the voice qualty OK at your end other than the hum?

    --
    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Mar 27, 2010
  4. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:27:33 +1300, John Smith <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    >> well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    >> them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    >> their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    >> switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    >> me to one of their new more expensive plans.
    >>
    >> So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    >> like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    >> phone service is OK?
    >>
    >> Are any other problems likely with their homeline service? I'd quite
    >> like to ditch Telecom altogether.
    >>
    >> Any other recommendations for a reliable ISP?
    >>

    >Orcon does not have a good reputation.
    >
    >http://zlspam.blogspot.com
    >
    >They lie and fabricate evidence.

    OK, thanks John.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Mar 27, 2010
  5. Ray Greene

    Your Name Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    > well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    > them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    > their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    > switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    > me to one of their new more expensive plans.

    All the Internet / phone providers charge you about another $10 if you don't
    have your toll calls through them as well.

    Your Name, Mar 27, 2010
  6. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:48:00 +1200, "Your Name" <>
    wrote:

    >"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    >> well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    >> them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    >> their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    >> switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    >> me to one of their new more expensive plans.

    >All the Internet / phone providers charge you about another $10 if you don't
    >have your toll calls through them as well.

    Yes, switching ISPs would be a cheaper option.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Mar 27, 2010
  7. In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:

    > Was the voice qualty OK at your end other than the hum?

    Yeah, no problems otherwise.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 27, 2010
  8. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:57:19 +1300, Mutley
    <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    >>well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    >>them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    >>their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    >>switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    >>me to one of their new more expensive plans.
    >>
    >>So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    >>like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    >>phone service is OK?
    >>
    >>Are any other problems likely with their homeline service? I'd quite
    >>like to ditch Telecom altogether.
    >>
    >>Any other recommendations for a reliable ISP?

    >We have been using Orcon Tolls for several years now no problems.
    >Voice quality seems fine using a Telecom landline and UBS. The only
    >issue we ever had with Orcon's fone service was when we went LLU for
    >about 8 months. It was a dog..

    Thanks Mutley, that's good to know.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Mar 28, 2010
  9. Ray Greene

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-03-27, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    > I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    > well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    > them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    > their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    > switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    > me to one of their new more expensive plans.

    Yep, profit lost.

    > So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    > like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    > phone service is OK?

    Gentle people, Telecom,is still in our lives, on a wholesale level, not to
    mention the physical level.

    Gordon, Mar 28, 2010
  10. Ray Greene

    Richard Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    > well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    > them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    > their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    > switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    > me to one of their new more expensive plans.
    >
    > So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    > like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    > phone service is OK?
    >
    > Are any other problems likely with their homeline service? I'd quite
    > like to ditch Telecom altogether.
    >
    > Any other recommendations for a reliable ISP?

    Sister is on orcon LLU phone and its crap quality, she also has lots of
    calls not work when dialing out with the call going thru to the
    recipiant but no audio (not sure if that has happened recently since I
    just call her cell now since its so cheap)

    Keep getting tone sounds during calls from their braindead gear, doesnt
    happen for me talking to telecom customers. I am on slingshot voip using
    G729 so cant comment on quality since its shit with g729 but g711 takes
    too much bandwidth for me so I get glitches when using the internet at
    the same time.

    Richard, Mar 28, 2010
  11. Ray Greene

    John S Guest

    On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:43:14 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    > I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    > well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    > them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    > their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    > switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    > me to one of their new more expensive plans.
    >
    > So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    > like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    > phone service is OK?
    >
    > Are any other problems likely with their homeline service? I'd quite
    > like to ditch Telecom altogether.
    >
    > Any other recommendations for a reliable ISP?

    If you want to keep your ISP but just get better phone quality, why not try
    using a phone card (usually can be purchased from your local dairy).

    You could do the experiment cheaply for about $10.

    I make all my toll calls this way and can call any country in the world I'm
    interested in, for 3.9 cents per minute. I've found the quality to be
    fine.

    You have to dial an access number and pin number before the number you want
    to dial, but I just have this programmed into my phone, so it's no bother.

    The card I've been using is a "Kia Ora", issued by Compass phone cards.

    However, I guess this solution wouldn't help you with incoming calls.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Mar 28, 2010
  12. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:03:19 +1200, John S <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:43:14 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    >> well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    >> them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    >> their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    >> switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    >> me to one of their new more expensive plans.
    >>
    >> So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    >> like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    >> phone service is OK?
    >>
    >> Are any other problems likely with their homeline service? I'd quite
    >> like to ditch Telecom altogether.
    >>
    >> Any other recommendations for a reliable ISP?

    >If you want to keep your ISP but just get better phone quality, why not try
    >using a phone card (usually can be purchased from your local dairy).
    >
    >You could do the experiment cheaply for about $10.
    >
    >I make all my toll calls this way and can call any country in the world I'm
    >interested in, for 3.9 cents per minute. I've found the quality to be
    >fine.
    >
    >You have to dial an access number and pin number before the number you want
    >to dial, but I just have this programmed into my phone, so it's no bother.
    >
    >The card I've been using is a "Kia Ora", issued by Compass phone cards.
    >
    >However, I guess this solution wouldn't help you with incoming calls.

    That's interesting. I had a friend who used a card some years ago and
    it was total crap. I assumed they were all much the same. Thanks for
    the info.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Mar 29, 2010
  13. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:05:15 +1300, Mutley
    <> wrote:

    >Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    >>> well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    >>> them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    >>> their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    >>> switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    >>> me to one of their new more expensive plans.
    >>>
    >>> So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    >>> like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    >>> phone service is OK?
    >>>
    >>> Are any other problems likely with their homeline service? I'd quite
    >>> like to ditch Telecom altogether.
    >>>
    >>> Any other recommendations for a reliable ISP?

    >>Sister is on orcon LLU phone and its crap quality, she also has lots of
    >>calls not work when dialing out with the call going thru to the
    >>recipiant but no audio (not sure if that has happened recently since I
    >>just call her cell now since its so cheap)
    >>
    >>Keep getting tone sounds during calls from their braindead gear, doesnt
    >>happen for me talking to telecom customers. I am on slingshot voip using
    >>G729 so cant comment on quality since its shit with g729 but g711 takes
    >>too much bandwidth for me so I get glitches when using the internet at
    >>the same time.

    >That was the exact same problem we were getting. Bet if she has a Sky
    >STB and she plugs it in she can hear a hum on the line. I suspect
    >that the Orcon ATAs are not ground referenced but floating as when I
    >went back to a Telecom landline and plugged in the STB it was dead
    >silent no hum sound..

    I think I might be better off using Skype.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Mar 29, 2010
  14. Ray Greene

    Richard Guest

    John S wrote:

    > If you want to keep your ISP but just get better phone quality, why not try
    > using a phone card (usually can be purchased from your local dairy).
    >
    > You could do the experiment cheaply for about $10.
    >
    > I make all my toll calls this way and can call any country in the world I'm
    > interested in, for 3.9 cents per minute. I've found the quality to be
    > fine.
    >
    > You have to dial an access number and pin number before the number you want
    > to dial, but I just have this programmed into my phone, so it's no bother.
    >
    > The card I've been using is a "Kia Ora", issued by Compass phone cards.
    >
    > However, I guess this solution wouldn't help you with incoming calls.

    Some of the cards will work at those rates from a vodafone mobile as
    well, which means no need for the obsolete landline at all. Shame that
    VF broadband are still stuck in the dark ages and force you to get the
    antique service inorder to get the internet.

    Mind you, they also dont cater to moderate to heavy internet users with
    a 40 gig maximum... per month, with no option to add more.

    Richard, Mar 29, 2010
  15. In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:

    > I think I might be better off using Skype.

    Skype isn’t based on open standards (i.e. SIP). With open standards, you can
    run the software and hardware of your choice. For example, set up your own
    PBX at home, automatically route calls through the cheapest provider, etc.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2010
  16. Your Name <> wrote:

    > "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    > > well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    > > them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    > > their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    > > switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    > > me to one of their new more expensive plans.

    > All the Internet / phone providers charge you about another $10 if you don't
    > have your toll calls through them as well.

    Not all. WorldxChange (xnet.co.nz) doesn't, and they're not half bad
    considering all NZ ISPs are stuck with the same international
    bottleneck. At least their tech support is NZ based :)

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 30, 2010
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    > > I think I might be better off using Skype.

    > Skype isn't based on open standards (i.e. SIP). With open standards, you can
    > run the software and hardware of your choice. For example, set up your own
    > PBX at home, automatically route calls through the cheapest provider, etc.

    Open is all well and good, but I find Skype just works in almost any
    situation in any location. That's good enough for me :)

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 30, 2010
  18. On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:44:11 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:03:19 +1200, John S <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:43:14 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    >>> well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    >>> them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    >>> their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    >>> switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    >>> me to one of their new more expensive plans.
    >>>
    >>> So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    >>> like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    >>> phone service is OK?
    >>>
    >>> Are any other problems likely with their homeline service? I'd quite
    >>> like to ditch Telecom altogether.
    >>>
    >>> Any other recommendations for a reliable ISP?

    >>If you want to keep your ISP but just get better phone quality, why not try
    >>using a phone card (usually can be purchased from your local dairy).
    >>
    >>You could do the experiment cheaply for about $10.
    >>
    >>I make all my toll calls this way and can call any country in the world I'm
    >>interested in, for 3.9 cents per minute. I've found the quality to be
    >>fine.
    >>
    >>You have to dial an access number and pin number before the number you want
    >>to dial, but I just have this programmed into my phone, so it's no bother.
    >>
    >>The card I've been using is a "Kia Ora", issued by Compass phone cards.
    >>
    >>However, I guess this solution wouldn't help you with incoming calls.
    >>

    > That's interesting. I had a friend who used a card some years ago and
    > it was total crap. I assumed they were all much the same. Thanks for
    > the info.

    I used the Kai ora card a lot some time ago and it was a very good service
    (you had to type in a lot of numbers for an overseas call but the quality
    was really good.

    Robin Halligan, Mar 30, 2010
  19. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:37:25 +1300, (Jamie
    Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm currently with IHUG/Vodafone and I have my toll calls with them as
    >> well. The sound quality on toll calls is pretty bad. I've been with
    >> them for over ten years now and I'm quite happy with the reliabilty of
    >> their service, but I need good phone quality now and if I was to
    >> switch back to Telecom for toll calls I suspect Vodafone would switch
    >> me to one of their new more expensive plans.
    >>
    >> So I'm thinking of switching ISPs. Orcon has a good reputation and I
    >> like the look of their Gold plan, but can anyone tell me if their
    >> phone service is OK?
    >>
    >> Are any other problems likely with their homeline service? I'd quite
    >> like to ditch Telecom altogether.
    >>
    >> Any other recommendations for a reliable ISP?

    >I use Skype for all my local and toll calls, and the quality is at least
    >as good as a cellphone call, usually much better. People generally have
    >no idea I'm not on a regular phone, or if there's a slight delay as
    >hapens with VoIP they just think I'm on a cell. Having a good headset
    >with noise cancelling mic helps with audio quality as well. You can even
    >get bluetooth or WiFi handsets if you prefer that old-style telephone
    >feel.

    I tried a couple of calls with Skype to landlines last night but one
    had quite a bit of echo. The other was OK. I'm using a reasonably good
    Logitech headset. I'll have to try a few more calls and see if it's
    consistent.

    >So my vote is to go naked ;-) - broadband that is. Orcon and Xnet have
    >decent plans, Xnet even have their own VoIP offerring, but despite being
    >an Xnet naked DSL customer I choose Skype instead - it's cheaper and not
    >tied to one location and ISP. I don't miss having a voiceline at all. I
    >certainly don't miss Telecom in my life, heh.

    I'll consider that for the future, but at the moment if I can get
    decent phone quality there really isn't any incentive to change.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Mar 30, 2010
  20. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:45:48 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> I think I might be better off using Skype.

    >Skype isn’t based on open standards (i.e. SIP). With open standards, you can
    >run the software and hardware of your choice. For example, set up your own
    >PBX at home, automatically route calls through the cheapest provider, etc.

    What would you recommend that's cheaper and easier than Skype on my
    Windows XP desktop? I can get unlimited NZ calls for around $7/month.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Mar 30, 2010