Orcon offering free upgrades.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    From 256k/unlimited to 2M/10GB. Either slowing to 64k after reaching the cap
    or a chanrge of 1 cent/MB above cap.

    In a moment of non-clarity I accepted this offer at 3am this morning. (With
    the slow-down option) as I've only been downloading 2-2.5GB a month. Then
    this morning I realised it's 10GB "Data", meaning both ways I guess. Oh
    well, still only 3.8GB on the 'biggest' month.

    What concerns me most is that, and some of you may have noticed the dearth
    of complaining posts from me recently, the latency of the 256k product has
    been almost acceptable recently. Not as good as dial-up or Jetstream but
    nowhere near the abysmal low it hit a few months back. I'm wondering now,
    will I have to go through months of latency issues with the new plan? I hope
    not as I've just financed another car and ADSL is in the balace ATM. At
    least I couldn't find any penalty clause from dropping the service after
    upgrading.

    <fingers crossed>
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Jul 6, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > From 256k/unlimited to 2M/10GB. Either slowing to 64k after reaching the cap
    > or a chanrge of 1 cent/MB above cap.
    >
    > In a moment of non-clarity I accepted this offer at 3am this morning. (With
    > the slow-down option) as I've only been downloading 2-2.5GB a month. Then
    > this morning I realised it's 10GB "Data", meaning both ways I guess. Oh
    > well, still only 3.8GB on the 'biggest' month.
    >
    > What concerns me most is that, and some of you may have noticed the dearth
    > of complaining posts from me recently, the latency of the 256k product has
    > been almost acceptable recently. Not as good as dial-up or Jetstream but
    > nowhere near the abysmal low it hit a few months back. I'm wondering now,
    > will I have to go through months of latency issues with the new plan? I hope
    > not as I've just financed another car and ADSL is in the balace ATM. At
    > least I couldn't find any penalty clause from dropping the service after
    > upgrading.
    >
    > <fingers crossed>


    I had a laugh when I read the 'free upgrade' offer. I consider the new
    plan a downgrade, even though I don't use more than 10GB at the slower
    speed.

    When are ISPs (and Telecom in particular) going to learn, it isn't how
    _fast_ you get it that matters to the high volume users, it is how much
    they can get!

    The Ohter Guy
     
    The Other Guy, Jul 6, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. The Other Guy wrote:
    > When are ISPs (and Telecom in particular) going to learn, it isn't how
    > _fast_ you get it that matters to the high volume users, it is how much
    > they can get!


    wouldn't that depend on each user... hell, I would take 2Mbit with 10GB
    cap over 256k unlimitied, simply because most of usage is "bursty", not
    "constant speed"

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    http://synaptic.net.nz <- Dunedin Based IT and ISP services
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 6, 2005
    #3
  4. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:52:52 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >The Other Guy wrote:
    >> When are ISPs (and Telecom in particular) going to learn, it isn't how
    >> _fast_ you get it that matters to the high volume users, it is how much
    >> they can get!

    >
    >wouldn't that depend on each user... hell, I would take 2Mbit with 10GB
    >cap over 256k unlimitied, simply because most of usage is "bursty", not
    >"constant speed"


    I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
    "one" Gig cap.
    When I need stuff I need it quick.
     
    Bret, Jul 6, 2005
    #4
  5. Bret wrote:
    > I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
    > "one" Gig cap.
    > When I need stuff I need it quick.


    Clearly you're not a high volume user. Neither am I really, but I'd
    rather have a steady 256k than 2048k and a pathetic 64k if I do somehow
    manage to exceed my cap (Which I could more easily since the speed was
    greater).

    If you're on P2P all day every day like some people, you get more for
    your dollar on a 256k unlimited plan.

    It may take a few days, but a higher cap means I don't have to think
    about it if I decide to download a DVD image every few months.

    The Other Guy
     
    The Other Guy, Jul 6, 2005
    #5
  6. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:15:20 +1200, Bret wrote:

    > I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
    > "one" Gig cap.
    > When I need stuff I need it quick.


    So you need no much quickly?

    Stiull seems like having a sports car and only being able to drive it
    around town.
     
    Gordon, Jul 6, 2005
    #6
  7. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:15:20 +1200, Bret wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
    >>"one" Gig cap.
    >>When I need stuff I need it quick.

    >
    >
    > So you need no much quickly?
    >
    > Stiull seems like having a sports car and only being able to drive it
    > around town.


    Sports car would be a fast connection - more like having a V8, and after you
    have gone 50k's it drops back to being a V1
     
    Richard, Jul 6, 2005
    #7
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:15:20 +1200, Bret wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
    >>> "one" Gig cap.
    >>> When I need stuff I need it quick.

    >>
    >>
    >> So you need no much quickly?
    >>
    >> Stiull seems like having a sports car and only being able to drive it
    >> around town.

    >
    > Sports car would be a fast connection - more like having a V8, and
    > after you have gone 50k's it drops back to being a V1


    LOL @ V1!!

    As I stated in my first post, (and to contimue your analogy) I don't even go
    20k's so am happy with the upgrade. I get those 20k's faster (or will when
    my billing cycle comes around).
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Jul 6, 2005
    #8
  9. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:32:14 +1200, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:15:20 +1200, Bret wrote:
    >
    >> I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
    >> "one" Gig cap.
    >> When I need stuff I need it quick.

    >
    >So you need no much quickly?


    Drivers and patches.

    >Stiull seems like having a sports car and only being able to drive it
    >around town.


    I'd like one of those racing trucks thanks :)
     
    Bret, Jul 6, 2005
    #9
  10. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:58:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > From 256k/unlimited to 2M/10GB. Either slowing to 64k after reaching the cap
    > or a chanrge of 1 cent/MB above cap.
    >
    > In a moment of non-clarity I accepted this offer at 3am this morning. (With
    > the slow-down option) as I've only been downloading 2-2.5GB a month. Then
    > this morning I realised it's 10GB "Data", meaning both ways I guess. Oh
    > well, still only 3.8GB on the 'biggest' month.
    >
    > What concerns me most is that, and some of you may have noticed the dearth
    > of complaining posts from me recently, the latency of the 256k product has
    > been almost acceptable recently. Not as good as dial-up or Jetstream but
    > nowhere near the abysmal low it hit a few months back. I'm wondering now,
    > will I have to go through months of latency issues with the new plan? I hope
    > not as I've just financed another car and ADSL is in the balace ATM. At
    > least I couldn't find any penalty clause from dropping the service after
    > upgrading.
    >
    > <fingers crossed>


    I went to the 2mbit plan with Orcon a couple of months back. I did this
    instead of going to another ISP, as at the time complaints were starting to
    emerge about the others too (mainly p2p filtering) and it was going to cost
    $100 to change (which is a savage rip off).

    Recently Orcon upgraded it's connection to telecon (or more correctly,
    Telecon got off it's arse and fucking well did what they are paid for)
    which saw pings go down from 200, 300 to 60 odd (In UT2004, a fast action
    FPS) to national servers. On the 2mbit plan.

    I think you will be alright, IF Orcon keeps it's act togeather.

    I have noticed on friend's connections, two of which are with telecom (e.g.
    non bitstream) throughput is no better. Ping's are a little better, but
    only by say 10 or 20 ms.

    Orcon seems to have finally fixed their fucked news server, and the fix
    seems to be sticking.

    Also they now claim their free host web server is back up.

    And all this was acheived in mere months! They'll be reducing heldesk phone
    waiting to mere hours next!

    At this rate they will be top of the bunch again around 2035.........

    --

    .... Brendan

    #367896 +(4371)- [X]

    <Fashykekes> Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my
    uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."


    Note: All my comments are copyright 6/07/2005 1:53:51 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
     
    Brendan, Jul 6, 2005
    #10
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:58:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> From 256k/unlimited to 2M/10GB. Either slowing to 64k after reaching
    >> the cap or a chanrge of 1 cent/MB above cap.
    >>
    >> In a moment of non-clarity I accepted this offer at 3am this
    >> morning. (With the slow-down option) as I've only been downloading
    >> 2-2.5GB a month. Then this morning I realised it's 10GB "Data",
    >> meaning both ways I guess. Oh well, still only 3.8GB on the
    >> 'biggest' month.
    >>
    >> What concerns me most is that, and some of you may have noticed the
    >> dearth of complaining posts from me recently, the latency of the
    >> 256k product has been almost acceptable recently. Not as good as
    >> dial-up or Jetstream but nowhere near the abysmal low it hit a few
    >> months back. I'm wondering now, will I have to go through months of
    >> latency issues with the new plan? I hope not as I've just financed
    >> another car and ADSL is in the balace ATM. At least I couldn't find
    >> any penalty clause from dropping the service after upgrading.
    >>
    >> <fingers crossed>

    >
    > I went to the 2mbit plan with Orcon a couple of months back. I did
    > this instead of going to another ISP, as at the time complaints were
    > starting to emerge about the others too (mainly p2p filtering) and it
    > was going to cost $100 to change (which is a savage rip off).
    >
    > Recently Orcon upgraded it's connection to telecon (or more correctly,
    > Telecon got off it's arse and fucking well did what they are paid for)
    > which saw pings go down from 200, 300 to 60 odd (In UT2004, a fast
    > action FPS) to national servers. On the 2mbit plan.
    >
    > I think you will be alright, IF Orcon keeps it's act togeather.
    >
    > I have noticed on friend's connections, two of which are with telecom
    > (e.g. non bitstream) throughput is no better. Ping's are a little
    > better, but only by say 10 or 20 ms.
    >
    > Orcon seems to have finally fixed their fucked news server, and the
    > fix seems to be sticking.
    >
    > Also they now claim their free host web server is back up.
    >
    > And all this was acheived in mere months! They'll be reducing heldesk
    > phone waiting to mere hours next!
    >
    > At this rate they will be top of the bunch again around 2035.........


    LOL, thanks for the reassurance Brendan. It could all be moot anyway for me.
    I've had to finance a car and am having to pay more per week on the damn
    thing than I'm getting for food/expenses. Internet is included in those
    expenses. It could be back to dial-up yet. <shudder>.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Jul 6, 2005
    #11
  12. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 23:20:02 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > LOL, thanks for the reassurance Brendan. It could all be moot anyway for me.
    > I've had to finance a car and am having to pay more per week on the damn
    > thing than I'm getting for food/expenses. Internet is included in those
    > expenses. It could be back to dial-up yet. <shudder>.


    Shit, no good... Share the expense with a neighbor via a lan ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    #287414 +(10542)- [X]

    <DeadMansHand> haha, last night, me and pete went out to celebrate his
    engagement and got hugely drunk
    <DeadMansHand> we got this great idea to bury eachother in the sand close
    to the water and see who would chicken out first
    <DeadMansHand> took about a half hour, but the water got up to my face so i
    freaked and got out
    <DeadMansHand> i looked around for pete and he must've chickened out before
    me and stumbled home or something heh
    <DeadMansHand> What'd he say when he woke up this morning?
    <Thirteen-> uhh.. he hasn't come home yet.. i thought he was staying with
    you?
    <DeadMansHand> holy ****.
    <DeadMansHand> i fucking hope im wrong about what im thinking right now
    <DeadMansHand> im fucking going back to the beach to make sure
    <DeadMansHand> if he gets home, call me, i don't want to be worrying about
    this
    <Thirteen-> will do. you better hope he's not still buried, you'll be in
    deep shit.
    quit: (DeadMansHand)
    <Tyran> wtf? pete came home last night you ****. Ken's going to be worrying
    about this shit all day
    <Thirteen-> haha yea, but it will be fun while it lasts
    join: (PeteRepeat) (bob@3F8C4655.11D1C8C.18637D35.IP)
    <PeteRepeat> fucking ken
    <PeteRepeat> ken... that fucker buried me in the sand last night, i ran off
    about 5 minutes to it, left him there to be an idiot
    <quiqsilver> pete, ken didn't come back last night, i thought he was with
    you.
    <PeteRepeat> oh ****.
    <PeteRepeat> if ken shows up, make sure he doesn't know that im at the
    beach digging for his body. i don't want him to think i care or anything.
    quit: (PeteRepeat)
    <Thirteen-> rofl. Those 2 are going to get a huge surprise when they meet
    at the beach.
    <Tyran> i can't beleive how perfect their timing was


    Note: All my comments are copyright 6/07/2005 11:33:12 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
     
    Brendan, Jul 6, 2005
    #12
  13. Gordon wrote:
    >>I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
    >>"one" Gig cap.
    >>When I need stuff I need it quick.


    > So you need no much quickly?
    > Stiull seems like having a sports car and only being able to drive it
    > around town.


    more like high acceleration, high top speed, but not much track, so drag
    racing I guess.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    http://synaptic.net.nz <- Dunedin Based IT and ISP services
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 6, 2005
    #13
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 23:20:02 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> LOL, thanks for the reassurance Brendan. It could all be moot anyway
    >> for me. I've had to finance a car and am having to pay more per week
    >> on the damn thing than I'm getting for food/expenses. Internet is
    >> included in those expenses. It could be back to dial-up yet.
    >> <shudder>.

    >
    > Shit, no good... Share the expense with a neighbor via a lan ?


    I'm in a low-rent (so to speak) area of town. I don't bother my neighbours
    and they don't bother me. Frankly I'd honestly be surprised if anyone else
    in my little street even had a computer.

    I got an email today from adslprovisioning at Orcon (which I nearly missed
    due to my white-list spam system) informing me that I'm down to be switched
    over on "2005-07-09". Now, I'm thinking (hoping) that's the 9th of July and
    not the 7th of September. However that makes it this Saturday. I didn't know
    Telecom did that sort of thing in the weekends. Fingers crossed it's a
    trouble-free process. I'm yet to have one of those with Orcon or Telecom.
    They must have them surely?
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2005
    #14
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Brendan wrote:
    >> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 23:20:02 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> LOL, thanks for the reassurance Brendan. It could all be moot anyway
    >>> for me. I've had to finance a car and am having to pay more per week
    >>> on the damn thing than I'm getting for food/expenses. Internet is
    >>> included in those expenses. It could be back to dial-up yet.
    >>> <shudder>.

    >>
    >> Shit, no good... Share the expense with a neighbor via a lan ?

    >
    > I'm in a low-rent (so to speak) area of town. I don't bother my
    > neighbours and they don't bother me. Frankly I'd honestly be
    > surprised if anyone else in my little street even had a computer.
    >
    > I got an email today from adslprovisioning at Orcon (which I nearly
    > missed due to my white-list spam system) informing me that I'm down
    > to be switched over on "2005-07-09". Now, I'm thinking (hoping)
    > that's the 9th of July and not the 7th of September. However that
    > makes it this Saturday. I didn't know Telecom did that sort of thing
    > in the weekends. Fingers crossed it's a trouble-free process. I'm yet
    > to have one of those with Orcon or Telecom. They must have them
    > surely?


    What does the headline "Free Speed Upgrade" mean to you guys?

    I've just re-read it and I'd mis-interpreted it. I took it to mean it would
    cost me no more to have 2M than it currently does to have 256k. Ha!! Sucker
    me. All it means is that, normally I would have to pay $10 to change my plan
    but, until the end of July, this fee is waived for existing customers.

    I guess it's interpretation and jumping the gun on my part. However, Orcon
    have a habit of lying about their pricing. I was conned into getting
    Jetstream (On a week that I really couln't afford it) because they stated
    that existing customers would get UBS cheaper than new sign-ups. That was a
    blatent lie. They are advertising the same plan as I'm on at the same price
    and always have. They lied. I'm pissed. I have to ring and cancel my "Free
    Upgrade".

    Misleading IMO. It should have said; "No charge to change your plan" or
    something similar. Free speed upgrade my arse.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2005
    #15
  16. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Brendan wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 23:20:02 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>LOL, thanks for the reassurance Brendan. It could all be moot anyway
    >>>for me. I've had to finance a car and am having to pay more per week
    >>>on the damn thing than I'm getting for food/expenses. Internet is
    >>>included in those expenses. It could be back to dial-up yet.
    >>><shudder>.

    >>
    >>Shit, no good... Share the expense with a neighbor via a lan ?

    >
    >
    > I'm in a low-rent (so to speak) area of town. I don't bother my neighbours
    > and they don't bother me. Frankly I'd honestly be surprised if anyone else
    > in my little street even had a computer.
    >
    > I got an email today from adslprovisioning at Orcon (which I nearly missed
    > due to my white-list spam system) informing me that I'm down to be switched
    > over on "2005-07-09". Now, I'm thinking (hoping) that's the 9th of July and
    > not the 7th of September.


    Come on; surely you've had enough experience with UBS to know what that
    date really means :)

    Also, to make you feel even better about paying even more money to
    Orcon, Seeby is being interviewed about how fabulously wealthy he is on
    TV tonight. I think on TV3, (Campbell Live) but might be TV1 (Closeup) -
    I can't tell them apart - lucky they have such big logos on screen these
    days (but I still can't tell them apart).

    For the life of me, I can't understand why somebody would agree to such
    an interview, but I guess it might be interesting.
     
    -=rjh=-, Jul 7, 2005
    #16
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > Misleading IMO. It should have said; "No charge to change your plan"
    > or something similar. Free speed upgrade my arse.


    http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/newsletters/2005-07-05

    I read the first paragraph under the heading "Free Speed Upgrade on
    Bitstream" then clicked the "Upgrade now" box. I guess I was too excited,
    thinking Orcon really were offering something "To thank our BitStream
    customers for coming on board and sticking with us". Believe me, it was a
    close call a few times, the "sticking with us" bit.

    Instead they were allowing me the privelege of *not* paying them $10 to pay
    them an extra $20/month to get my 3GB max/month of data through their lines
    a bit faster.

    Why the hell would I pay the same amount for a laggy BitStream connection as
    Telecom are charging for their 2M/10GB plan? ($69.95/month). What ever
    happened to Orcon being a reliable, competitive ISP? <Expletive deleted>,
    their latest offering is *worse* than Telecom's FFS. A friend has the
    Telecom 2M plan and his latency is far superior to my BitStream shite. Plus
    it's on the same bill as the phone, only one company to pay. I'm seriously
    considering going back to Telecom, the blood-sucking monopolistic pricks
    that they are. Says a lot for Orcon huh?

    I'm that pissed I'm looking for some big files to download each month. They
    said they don't traffic-shape their 256k plan if you're under 20GB a month,
    I'm gonna leave my machine downloading overnight for a few nights each week,
    grab me another 15GB or so each month, then delete it.

    (I'm pissed off, partly at myself I guess).
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2005
    #17
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I got an email today from adslprovisioning at Orcon (which I nearly
    >> missed due to my white-list spam system) informing me that I'm down
    >> to be switched over on "2005-07-09". Now, I'm thinking (hoping)
    >> that's the 9th of July and not the 7th of September.

    >
    > Come on; surely you've had enough experience with UBS to know what
    > that date really means :)


    True.

    > Also, to make you feel even better about paying even more money to
    > Orcon,


    Yeah, about that.... I'm an idiot, I thought a "Free Speed Upgrade" meant I
    wouldn't be paying any more. Silly me! Turns out it's just free to change
    plans. It beats me why they would charge you to pay them an extra $20 a
    month in the first place. I could understand if they charged you to
    downgrade your plan but charging to "upgrade" (read: "change plans to a
    faster one") seems bloody silly.

    > Seeby is being interviewed about how fabulously wealthy he is
    > on TV tonight. I think on TV3, (Campbell Live) but might be TV1
    > (Closeup) - I can't tell them apart - lucky they have such big logos
    > on screen these days (but I still can't tell them apart).


    I'll endeavour to discover which one it is and watch it, thanks. I don't
    normally watch much TV so didn't know that.

    > For the life of me, I can't understand why somebody would agree to
    > such an interview, but I guess it might be interesting.


    I hope to see it. I've 'conversed' with him here now and then over the
    years, be interesting to get a look at the man.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2005
    #18
  19. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 14:12:20 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> Shit, no good... Share the expense with a neighbor via a lan ?

    >
    > I'm in a low-rent (so to speak) area of town. I don't bother my neighbours
    > and they don't bother me. Frankly I'd honestly be surprised if anyone else
    > in my little street even had a computer.


    Ok.

    > I got an email today from adslprovisioning at Orcon (which I nearly missed
    > due to my white-list spam system) informing me that I'm down to be switched
    > over on "2005-07-09".


    I sent you an email also...

    > Now, I'm thinking (hoping) that's the 9th of July and
    > not the 7th of September. However that makes it this Saturday. I didn't know
    > Telecom did that sort of thing in the weekends. Fingers crossed it's a
    > trouble-free process. I'm yet to have one of those with Orcon or Telecom.
    > They must have them surely?


    No, they sold that off years ago.

    Also, I took the 'free upgrade' to mean just the fee for changing was
    waived; but then I read the whole thing :)

    Re bitstream vs. jetstream: it's now becoming apparent that Telecom have
    pulled a fast one; bitstream is nothing more than a bait-and-switch style
    con - get people hooked with the idea of 'cheaper broadband', don't mention
    the arbitary limitations and crippling, THEN charge them $100 to get the
    'real one' which they can play games and voip over, THEN claim to the
    ComCom that the market 'wants' it's over priced jetstream....

    Hopefully the ComCom is not soo guliable and will slap them down with some
    heavy regs. Hell, it's high time the ComCom got some of those IRD like
    powers.... Nothing like a daily fine of 120% of gross profit to make the
    likes of Telecom play nice...

    --

    .... Brendan

    #6460 +(4735)- [X]

    <studdud> what the **** is wtf


    Note: All my comments are copyright 7/07/2005 7:31:45 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
     
    Brendan, Jul 7, 2005
    #19
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 14:12:20 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>> Shit, no good... Share the expense with a neighbor via a lan ?

    >>
    >> I'm in a low-rent (so to speak) area of town. I don't bother my
    >> neighbours and they don't bother me. Frankly I'd honestly be
    >> surprised if anyone else in my little street even had a computer.

    >
    > Ok.
    >
    >> I got an email today from adslprovisioning at Orcon (which I nearly
    >> missed due to my white-list spam system) informing me that I'm down
    >> to be switched over on "2005-07-09".

    >
    > I sent you an email also...


    Thanks. Got it and replied.

    >> Now, I'm thinking (hoping) that's the 9th of July and
    >> not the 7th of September. However that makes it this Saturday. I
    >> didn't know Telecom did that sort of thing in the weekends. Fingers
    >> crossed it's a trouble-free process. I'm yet to have one of those
    >> with Orcon or Telecom. They must have them surely?

    >
    > No, they sold that off years ago.
    >
    > Also, I took the 'free upgrade' to mean just the fee for changing was
    > waived; but then I read the whole thing :)


    Turns out I can't cancel the 'upgrade' as it's scheduled for tomorrow.
    However Orcon will put in a 'downgrade order which *should* be done the
    month after on my 'payment anniversary'. In the meantime I have to pay the
    higher rate but the are prepared to waive the $30 downgrade fee.
    (Incidently, they blame the downgrade fee on the government. They say that
    the government want people on high-speed connections and have asked the ISPs
    to make it harder for people to downgrade than upgrade, hence the $20
    difference in fees for changing plans)

    > Re bitstream vs. jetstream: it's now becoming apparent that Telecom
    > have pulled a fast one; bitstream is nothing more than a
    > bait-and-switch style con - get people hooked with the idea of
    > 'cheaper broadband', don't mention the arbitary limitations and
    > crippling, THEN charge them $100 to get the 'real one' which they can
    > play games and voip over, THEN claim to the ComCom that the market
    > 'wants' it's over priced jetstream....
    >
    > Hopefully the ComCom is not soo guliable and will slap them down with
    > some heavy regs. Hell, it's high time the ComCom got some of those
    > IRD like powers.... Nothing like a daily fine of 120% of gross profit
    > to make the likes of Telecom play nice...


    That would be nice. Shame Telecom own half the MPs though.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Jul 8, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Sarah Stewart
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,669
    Plato
    Apr 21, 2005
  2. ~misfit~

    Orcon's bitstream offering

    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    32
    Views:
    822
    Mutley
    Sep 25, 2004
  3. Brendan

    changing from Orcon UBS to Orcon Jetstream

    Brendan, Feb 25, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    554
    Brendan
    Feb 25, 2005
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Orcon UBS 2MBit or stick with Telecom/Orcon 2MBit ADSL?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 29, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    509
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Apr 29, 2005
  5. Nova

    Orcon's Forums (for orcon users)

    Nova, Mar 15, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    831
    Mutley
    Mar 18, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page