    Hmmm.

    Is this just me?

    Worm

    Worm, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Worm

    Chris Guest

    Worm wrote:

    > I'm loathed to point out another deficiency in the new newsfeed...but just
    > today I've noticed articles just a few days old are "No longer on server".
    > Hmmm.
    >
    > Is this just me?
    >

    > Worm

    Well Thunderbird just asked if I wanted to download more than 500
    articles - though I might have missed out on some flame war lol :)
    I guess theres been a glitch some where

    --
    OK, whats below this text is not added by me, it's added by
    www.newsfeeds.com because thats where my ISP gets their news feed from,

    Chris, Sep 1, 2004

  3. Worm

    David Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:54:00 +1200, Chris <> wrote:

    infogen now has 124775 news groups
    and its slow.

    David

    David, Sep 1, 2004
  4. David wrote:
    > infogen now has 124775 news groups
    > and its slow.

    infogen have changed hosts recently... check out your IP range, you'll
    notice that you're hanging off Orcon now.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Worm

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:01:33 +1200, Worm wrote:

    > I'm loathed to point out another deficiency in the new newsfeed...but just
    > today I've noticed articles just a few days old are "No longer on server".
    > Hmmm.
    >
    > Is this just me?

    I am STILL having trouble using Orcon's server (the same authetication
    problems); I am starting to think we will have to make a major stink over
    it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Better a live Judeo-Nazi than a dead saint."
    - Ariel Sharon, 1982 interview

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/09/2004 7:52:12 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 1, 2004
  6. newsfeeds have removed the footer now (yes it was anoying IMHO)
    If you are still having troubles with not being able to use the server
    don't use nntp authentication (it should work from any Orcon IP
    Address)

    If still doesn't work , please drop me an email with the ip address
    you are on.

    Thanks
    Craig (Work at Orcon) ()

    Craig Whitmore, Sep 1, 2004
  7. Worm

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:24:38 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > newsfeeds have removed the footer now (yes it was anoying IMHO)

    Good, thanks.

    > If you are still having troubles with not being able to use the server
    > don't use nntp authentication (it should work from any Orcon IP
    > Address)
    >
    > If still doesn't work , please drop me an email with the ip address
    > you are on.

    If this goes through, it seems to be working now! Yay, and thanks Craig.

    I was using my Orcon login for authentication as it kept complaing about
    not being authenticated - never thought I should have NO authetication
    there because of that :)

    --

    .... Brendan

    What are the two things mankind will never reach?
    The speed of light and page 132 of DHALGREN.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/09/2004 9:41:34 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 1, 2004
  8. Worm

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:43:41 +1200, Brendan wrote:

    > If this goes through, it seems to be working now! Yay, and thanks Craig.
    >
    > I was using my Orcon login for authentication as it kept complaing about
    > not being authenticated - never thought I should have NO authetication
    > there because of that :)

    Seems to be working! Cool, I'd rather use the local server for posting so
    it appears in the groups that much faster. Thanks Craig.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "But from a distance you were mine."
    - Manufactured Romance, "Long Distance Love Affair"

    Note: All my comments are copyright 1/09/2004 9:45:23 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 1, 2004
  9. Brendan wrote:
    > If this goes through, it seems to be working now! Yay, and thanks Craig.
    > I was using my Orcon login for authentication as it kept complaing about
    > not being authenticated - never thought I should have NO authetication
    > there because of that :)

    hahahhahahahahaha
    sorry, just kinda amusing.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 1, 2004
  10. Worm

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:12:06 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> If this goes through, it seems to be working now! Yay, and thanks Craig.
    >> I was using my Orcon login for authentication as it kept complaing about
    >> not being authenticated - never thought I should have NO authetication
    >> there because of that :)

    > hahahhahahahahaha
    > sorry, just kinda amusing.

    Yeah, very funny :)

    Well, I saw everyone talking about putting their account and pw in, next I
    see some people (on dial up) going well, and others talking about problems
    via jetstream surf. On top of that it was an outsourced server, so it made
    sense to have a pw to access it as they'd have to have some way of
    excluding the bulk of humanity.

    So it never occurred to me that it did Not need a pw now :)

    --

    .... Brendan

    At Group L, Stoffel oversees six first-rate programmers, a managerial challenge roughly comparable to herding cats.
    Washington Post Magazine,6/9/85

    Note: All my comments are copyright 2/09/2004 12:53:37 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 2, 2004
  11. Worm

    Mike_P Guest

    > I am STILL having trouble using Orcon's server (the same authetication
    > problems); I am starting to think we will have to make a major stink over
    > it.

    Well I'm still having trouble too, well over a week now. I ring or email
    them everyday and get nowhere. Oh well, my news.individual.net account is
    now up and running so that's one more customer Orcon can say doesn't support
    their news server when justifying why they haven't prioritized fixing this
    balls up.!

    Mike_P

    Mike_P, Sep 4, 2004
  12. Worm

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:31:53 +1200, Mike_P wrote:

    > Well I'm still having trouble too, well over a week now. I ring or email
    > them everyday and get nowhere. Oh well, my news.individual.net account is
    > now up and running so that's one more customer Orcon can say doesn't support
    > their news server when justifying why they haven't prioritized fixing this
    > balls up.!

    Try removing your account and password from your news server setup. It
    worked for me.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Somewhere on this globe, every ten seconds, there is a woman giving birth to a child. She must be found and stopped." -- Sam Levenson

    Note: All my comments are copyright 4/09/2004 7:52:08 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 4, 2004
  13. Worm

    Mike_P Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:31:53 +1200, Mike_P wrote:
    >
    >> Well I'm still having trouble too, well over a week now. I ring or email
    >> them everyday and get nowhere. Oh well, my news.individual.net account is
    >> now up and running so that's one more customer Orcon can say doesn't
    >> support
    >> their news server when justifying why they haven't prioritized fixing
    >> this
    >> balls up.!

    > Try removing your account and password from your news server setup. It
    > worked for me.
    >
    > --
    >
    > ... Brendan

    Tried that and tried deleting the account and recreating it. The fact is I
    cannot even ping the news.orcon.net.nz or corp-news.newsfeeds.com servers.
    Orcon still need to sort out the IP ranges they have supplied to
    newsfeeds... and a week and a half just ain't good enough when newsfeeds say
    they can fix it within one working day. Somebody at Orcon is sitting on
    their hands.

    Mike_P

    Mike_P, Sep 4, 2004
  14. Worm

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 10:53:35 +1200, Mike_P wrote:

    > Tried that and tried deleting the account and recreating it. The fact is I
    > cannot even ping the news.orcon.net.nz or corp-news.newsfeeds.com servers.
    > Orcon still need to sort out the IP ranges they have supplied to
    > newsfeeds... and a week and a half just ain't good enough when newsfeeds say
    > they can fix it within one working day. Somebody at Orcon is sitting on
    > their hands.
    >
    > Mike_P

    Sounds like you need to talk to the actual technical people at Orcon.
    Helpdesks are prone to 'it is at your end' syndrome, and sadly Orcon has
    being doing that a little lately.

    Try emailing Craig whitmore who posted in these threads recently.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately." -- Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

    Note: All my comments are copyright 5/09/2004 5:00:35 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 5, 2004
  15. Worm

    Mike_P Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 10:53:35 +1200, Mike_P wrote:
    >
    >> Tried that and tried deleting the account and recreating it. The fact is
    >> cannot even ping the news.orcon.net.nz or corp-news.newsfeeds.com
    >> servers.
    >> Orcon still need to sort out the IP ranges they have supplied to
    >> newsfeeds... and a week and a half just ain't good enough when newsfeeds
    >> say
    >> they can fix it within one working day. Somebody at Orcon is sitting on
    >> their hands.
    >>
    >> Mike_P

    > Sounds like you need to talk to the actual technical people at Orcon.
    > Helpdesks are prone to 'it is at your end' syndrome, and sadly Orcon has
    > being doing that a little lately.
    >
    > Try emailing Craig whitmore who posted in these threads recently.
    >
    > --
    >
    > ... Brendan

    Yep... done that too. Emailing Craig that is. Got an email back from one of
    the techs telling me to delete and recreate the account. Like I said, I've
    been talking to them for well over a week now and either getting a different
    story or having to start at the beginning again trying to explain it all to
    somebody new. Very frustrating.

    Mike_P

    Mike_P, Sep 5, 2004
  16. I am awaiting on newsfeeds.com to "do their stuff". (Adding in the missed
    ip addresses + other stuff)
    I have asked them also about the large number of "bogus" groups they seem to
    have (if they removed all of these them their claim of over 100000 groups
    would be wrong). (personally I think they add these bogus groups on
    purpose).

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Sep 5, 2004
  17. Worm

    Mike_P Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message
    >I am awaiting on newsfeeds.com to "do their stuff". (Adding in the missed
    >ip addresses + other stuff)
    > I have asked them also about the large number of "bogus" groups they seem
    > to have (if they removed all of these them their claim of over 100000
    > groups would be wrong). (personally I think they add these bogus groups on
    > purpose).
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig

    Thanks Craig, I look forward to everything being 'fixed' as soon as
    possible. However you will have to excuse my skepticism as I have an email
    here from Steven Chai telling me all the problems have been fixed since last
    Monday evening.

    As for the bogus newsgroups... well I wouldn't know, would I ?

    Mike_P

    Mike_P, Sep 5, 2004
  18. Brendan wrote:
    > Helpdesks are prone to 'it is at your end' syndrome, and sadly Orcon has
    > being doing that a little lately.

    they absorbed ~10k new customers... thats gotta put the strain on a tad.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 5, 2004
  19. Worm

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:10:11 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >> Helpdesks are prone to 'it is at your end' syndrome, and sadly Orcon has
    >> being doing that a little lately.

    > they absorbed ~10k new customers... thats gotta put the strain on a tad.

    Piss poor excuse. It's not quantity I am after, but QUALITY.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Q: How many men does it take to tile the typical kitchen floor?
    A. Just one, but you have to slice him verrrry thin.
    - Spyral

    Note: All my comments are copyright 7/09/2004 12:33:34 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 6, 2004
  20. Brendan wrote:
    >>>Helpdesks are prone to 'it is at your end' syndrome, and sadly Orcon has
    >>>being doing that a little lately.

    >>they absorbed ~10k new customers... thats gotta put the strain on a tad.

    > Piss poor excuse. It's not quantity I am after, but QUALITY.

    It's not really an excuse, it's true. However, what I didn't say but I
    thought was clear, was that they absorb new customers, they need new
    staff for helldesk, which increases average call times, and numbers(due
    to mis-diagnosis).

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz