    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    had no new headers since the 20th. anyone else had this problem.

    suppose the users that do have the same prob cant read this!

    -{-astrae-}-, Aug 24, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > had no new headers since the 20th. anyone else had this problem.
    >
    > suppose the users that do have the same prob cant read this!

    I've just had problems with it responding as fast as two telcos.

    wogers nemesis, Aug 24, 2004

  3. -{-astrae-}-

    Collector_NZ Guest

    -{-astrae-}- said the following on 24/08/2004 19:42:

    > had no new headers since the 20th. anyone else had this problem.
    >
    > suppose the users that do have the same prob cant read this!

    I am reading it from Orcon

    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 24, 2004
  4. -{-astrae-}-

    steve Guest

    -{-astrae-}- wrote:

    > had no new headers since the 20th. anyone else had this problem.
    >
    > suppose the users that do have the same prob cant read this!

    Orcon's news server sucks rotten bananas and has done for some time. They
    have repeatedly promised to fix it - and never have.

    I now use news.individual.net (based in Germany at a Uni) and it works
    perfectly: fast, good feed, no missed posts and free.

    You do need to register with them and it takes about a 10 days to get the
    approval......and after that, you just enjoy a good service.

    steve, Aug 24, 2004
  5. -{-astrae-}-

    Collector_NZ Guest

    steve said the following on 24/08/2004 23:48:

    > -{-astrae-}- wrote:
    >

    >>had no new headers since the 20th. anyone else had this problem.
    >>
    >>suppose the users that do have the same prob cant read this!

    > Orcon's news server sucks rotten bananas and has done for some time. They
    > have repeatedly promised to fix it - and never have.
    >
    > I now use news.individual.net (based in Germany at a Uni) and it works
    > perfectly: fast, good feed, no missed posts and free.
    >
    > You do need to register with them and it takes about a 10 days to get the
    > approval......and after that, you just enjoy a good service.

    Dont shout it too loud, otherwise the service might degrade and we will
    all be back to using Orcon NNTP which while not bad is far from good.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 24, 2004
  6. -{-astrae-}-

    steve Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Dont shout it too loud, otherwise the service might degrade and we will
    > all be back to using Orcon NNTP which while not bad is far from good.

    I find the Orcon news server take up to a minute to begin to send me the
    article list....and can often take up to a minute to send one article for
    reading.

    It's the worst news server I've ever used - going back to 1990.

    That makes for very slow newsreading.

    The best news was on OS/2 using Yarn and Souper.....a text-based pair of
    apps that downloaded all news and let you do everything locally....and then
    batch upload the completed replies.

    I'd like a text-based Linux newsreader that downloaded the news I
    wanted....and allowed me to cut/paste in/out of the terminal window.

    I'm sure there are several. Time to start looking. :)

    steve, Aug 24, 2004
  7. -{-astrae-}-

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:02:18 +1200, Collector_NZ wrote:

    >> I now use news.individual.net (based in Germany at a Uni) and it works
    >> perfectly: fast, good feed, no missed posts and free.
    >>
    >> You do need to register with them and it takes about a 10 days to get the
    >> approval......and after that, you just enjoy a good service.
    >>

    > Dont shout it too loud, otherwise the service might degrade and we will
    > all be back to using Orcon NNTP which while not bad is far from good.

    I use both Orcon and Individual.net's servers and have set up dialog to
    download the messages from both and combine them.

    Individual.net is always faster and always has more messages, despite being
    on the other side of the world.

    --

    .... Brendan

    The woods would be very silent if only the birds with the sweetest songs were heard.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/08/2004 12:58:37 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 24, 2004
  8. -{-astrae-}-

    theseus Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Dont shout it too loud, otherwise the service might degrade and we will
    >> all be back to using Orcon NNTP which while not bad is far from good.

    > I find the Orcon news server take up to a minute to begin to send me the
    > article list....and can often take up to a minute to send one article for
    > reading.
    >
    > It's the worst news server I've ever used - going back to 1990.
    >
    > That makes for very slow newsreading.
    >
    > The best news was on OS/2 using Yarn and Souper.....a text-based pair of
    > apps that downloaded all news and let you do everything locally....and
    > then
    > batch upload the completed replies.
    >
    > I'd like a text-based Linux newsreader that downloaded the news I
    > wanted....and allowed me to cut/paste in/out of the terminal window.
    >
    > I'm sure there are several. Time to start looking. :)

    have a look at leafnode and slrn

    theseus, Aug 24, 2004
  9. Hi there everyone

    We are hopefully upgrading our news server tomorrow morning.
    Instead of combining various NZ newsfeeds, we have outsourced to a US
    provider as it works our cheaper, with less hastle for us, and
    hopefully the serivce will be much better

    Cheers
    Seeby

    MD Orcon Internet

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Aug 24, 2004
  10. -{-astrae-}-

    steve Guest

    theseus wrote:

    >> I'd like a text-based Linux newsreader that downloaded the news I
    >> wanted....and allowed me to cut/paste in/out of the terminal window.
    >>
    >> I'm sure there are several. Time to start looking. :)

    > have a look at leafnode and slrn

    Ta. I will.

    steve, Aug 25, 2004
  11. -{-astrae-}-

    steve Guest

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

    > Hi there everyone
    >
    > We are hopefully upgrading our news server tomorrow morning.
    > Instead of combining various NZ newsfeeds, we have outsourced to a US
    > provider as it works our cheaper, with less hastle for us, and
    > hopefully the serivce will be much better
    >
    > Cheers
    > Seeby
    >
    > MD Orcon Internet

    Thanks, Seeby.

    I'll try it out.

    steve, Aug 25, 2004
  12. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:58:01 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >The best news was on OS/2 using Yarn and Souper.....a text-based pair of
    >apps that downloaded all news and let you do everything locally....and then
    >batch upload the completed replies.

    This is how I use (free) Agent on Windows (which apparently runs on
    Wine :)) .. downloading all headers+bodies for the groups I read, and
    uploading the replies either straight after I write them or when I
    queue it to upload.

    Sure it takes a few mins to grab all the new articles in the groups
    but at least it isn't pissing around when I'm actually trying to read
    them :)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Aug 25, 2004
  13. -{-astrae-}-

    Brendan Guest

    On 24 Aug 2004 15:37:51 -0700, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

    > We are hopefully upgrading our news server tomorrow morning.
    > Instead of combining various NZ newsfeeds, we have outsourced to a US
    > provider as it works our cheaper, with less hastle for us, and
    > hopefully the serivce will be much better

    Sounds great. I was going to suggest the same thing myself.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "I'm a nymphomaniac of the heart." -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/08/2004 5:56:25 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 25, 2004
  14. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi there everyone
    >
    > We are hopefully upgrading our news server tomorrow morning.
    > Instead of combining various NZ newsfeeds, we have outsourced to a US
    > provider as it works our cheaper, with less hastle for us, and
    > hopefully the serivce will be much better
    >
    > Cheers
    > Seeby
    >
    > MD Orcon Internet

    snip

    You are back on my Christmas card list :)
    People these day don't even know that newsgroups exist :(

    wogers nemesis, Aug 25, 2004
  15. -{-astrae-}-

    steve Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Hi there everyone
    >>
    >> We are hopefully upgrading our news server tomorrow morning.
    >> Instead of combining various NZ newsfeeds, we have outsourced to a US
    >> provider as it works our cheaper, with less hastle for us, and
    >> hopefully the serivce will be much better
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Seeby
    >>
    >> MD Orcon Internet

    > snip
    >
    > You are back on my Christmas card list :)
    > People these day don't even know that newsgroups exist :(

    Don't say that. He'll postpone the server changes.

    :)

    It wouldn't hurt to promote usenet news.

    steve, Aug 25, 2004
  16. -{-astrae-}-

    Peter Ingham Guest

    wrote:

    >I find the Orcon news server take up to a minute to begin to send me the
    >article list....and can often take up to a minute to send one article for
    >reading.
    >
    >It's the worst news server I've ever used - going back to 1990.
    >
    >That makes for very slow newsreading.

    Based in part on the feedback in this group, I changed last weekend
    from Paradise to Orcon.

    The Orcon NNTP performance was certainly a surprise. Looking forward
    to the promised improvement.

    Maybe Paradise could be said to be able to get at least NNTP pretty
    much right.

    --
    Please remove '_SpamTrap' when replying. You know why :-(

    Peter Ingham
    Lower Hutt
    New Zealand

    Peter Ingham, Aug 25, 2004
  17. -{-astrae-}-

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:41:02 +1200, wogers nemesis wrote:

    > People these day don't even know that newsgroups exist :(

    I found it difficult to find any help or significant mention of them on the
    orcon web site.

    It'd be nice if they had a web interface to the news server for those who
    want a taste test, too. They could integrate it with their own web chat
    system, providing a few orcon-only news groups as well.

    --

    .... Brendan

    SELF-EVIDENT, adj. Evident to one's self and to nobody else. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/08/2004 9:05:30 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 25, 2004
  18. -{-astrae-}-

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    Great!

    I get this problem quite often (http://www.astrae.co.nz/outlook.jpg)

    Messages do not match the headers. In this example there is a dvd msg in
    the Orcon news header.

    astrae

    -{-astrae-}-, Aug 25, 2004
  19. -{-astrae-}-

    Collector_NZ Guest

    -{-astrae-}- said the following on 26/08/2004 10:42:

    > Great!
    >
    > I get this problem quite often (http://www.astrae.co.nz/outlook.jpg)
    >
    > Messages do not match the headers. In this example there is a dvd msg in
    > the Orcon news header.
    >

    > astrae

    Arh cross threading of my post. Not uncommon for the Orcon server. Havnt
    experianced it on the alternative backup I use though. And have never
    picked up on a missing post either.

    Good example since it was my post you show as cross threaded.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 26, 2004
  20. -{-astrae-}-

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:42:51 +1200, -{-astrae-}- wrote:

    > I get this problem quite often (http://www.astrae.co.nz/outlook.jpg)
    >
    > Messages do not match the headers. In this example there is a dvd msg in
    > the Orcon news header.

    I get that too - thought it was a bug in my beta news reader...

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Thud. Thud. Thud. Splat." -- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, _Good Omens_

    Note: All my comments are copyright 26/08/2004 1:33:18 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 26, 2004