    happy?

    Cheers
    Seeby

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Apr 19, 2005

  2. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:23:17 +1200, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet
    wrote:

    > I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    > So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    > happy?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Seeby

    When will Orcon be offering true, flatrate, uncapped, full-speed (8mbit)
    broadband (with static IP) for residential clients?

    Such a service is already available in the USA.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Apr 19, 2005

  3. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet said the following on 19/04/2005 6:23 p.m.:
    > I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    > So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    > happy?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Seeby

    Judgement reserved for now, but it is functioning and now that it
    appears to have caught up the articles its usable.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 19, 2005
  4. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Redbaiter Guest

    Bling-Bling says
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:23:17 +1200, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    > > So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    > > happy?
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Seeby

    > When will Orcon be offering true, flatrate, uncapped, full-speed (8mbit)
    > broadband (with static IP) for residential clients?
    >
    > Such a service is already available in the USA.

    FFS, the guy has the good grace to front up here on a newsgroup
    and deal with the issues honestly, and idiots like you, not even
    an Orcon user, hassle him with shit like this? Start a damn ISP
    yourself if you think you know how it should be done you pissant
    whiner...

    Redbaiter, Apr 19, 2005
  5. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Nova Guest

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
    > I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    > So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    > happy?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Seeby

    seems to be going fine...

    Nova, Apr 19, 2005
  6. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Steve Guest

    "Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet" <> wrote in
    message news:4264a3cf$...
    >I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    > So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    > happy?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Seeby

    Seems to be fine.

    Cheers

    Steve, Apr 19, 2005
  7. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Chris Hope Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:23:17 +1200, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    >> So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    >> happy?
    >>

    > When will Orcon be offering true, flatrate, uncapped, full-speed
    > (8mbit) broadband (with static IP) for residential clients?
    >
    > Such a service is already available in the USA.

    Yeah and bandwidth is incredibly cheap in the USA, hence the good deals.
    On the other hand it's incredibly expensive in New Zealand and we'll be
    lucky if we see such plans in the next ten years.

    Chris Hope, Apr 19, 2005
  8. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
    > I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    > So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    > happy?

    Yup, it is getting better all the time, and is much faster than I've
    been used to :)

    Thanks

    -=rjh=-, Apr 19, 2005
  9. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
    > I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    > So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    > happy?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Seeby

    Hi Seeby,

    I've been using another server but downloading my groups from the Orcon
    server as well. To be honest I haven't checked them for a while, I've been
    waiting for a couple of 'all clear' posts first. There's nothing worse than
    spending some considerable time and effort writing posts only to not have
    them show up or be too late to be topical.

    I'll watch this thread for answers.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 19, 2005
  10. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:23:17 +1200, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

    > I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    > So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    > happy?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Seeby

    I have not had any trouble with it for a few days now. Authentication
    errors, slowness, etc seem to have cleared up a lot.

    I understand Telecon has recently opened up 2 mbit UBS to ISP's. When will
    Orcon be offering that to us customers ?

    I have considered moving to worldnet to get it, but telecon's churn
    extortion and worldnet's awkward mail-only sign up give me reason to
    procrastinate. For a short time....

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent." -- George Orwell

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/04/2005 7:40:35 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 19, 2005
  11. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:23:17 +1200, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    >> So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    >> happy?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Seeby

    > I have not had any trouble with it for a few days now. Authentication
    > errors, slowness, etc seem to have cleared up a lot.
    >
    > I understand Telecon has recently opened up 2 mbit UBS to ISP's. When
    > will Orcon be offering that to us customers ?

    Yeah, then we might actually get 256 kbps. I posted about my lack of speed
    problems using the Orcon server an hour ago and it's yet to show on Daves
    server. If it doesn't show soon I'll repost it from Daves server.

    The punchline was, using a speedtest site that Orcon support pointed me to,
    I get all of 20 kbps internationally on my supposedly 256 kbps connection.
    Today and most of yesterday my connection has been next to unusable for
    international traffic.

    > I have considered moving to worldnet to get it, but telecon's churn
    > extortion and worldnet's awkward mail-only sign up give me reason to
    > procrastinate. For a short time....

    Getting shorter by the minute....
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 19, 2005
  12. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Apr 19, 2005
  13. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:49:13 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:23:17 +1200, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    >> So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    >> happy?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Seeby

    >When will Orcon be offering true, flatrate, uncapped, full-speed (8mbit)
    >broadband (with static IP) for residential clients?
    >
    >Such a service is already available in the USA.

    Incase you hadn't noticed
    New Zealand is not a state of the USA

    FreedomChooser, Apr 19, 2005
  14. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    MarkH Guest

    > I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    > So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    > happy?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Seeby

    Text groups seem to be good (the ones I read anyway).

    Do you know anything about Orcon's plans on the 2MBit UBS? It seems to me
    that there is no way that Orcon could risk offering an unlimited plan at
    that speed, but what about a 20GB or 30GB cap with the average likely to be
    under 10GB?

    That might make some of us happy.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 16-Apr-05)

    MarkH, Apr 19, 2005
  15. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Paul Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet" <> wrote in
    >

    >>I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    >>So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    >>happy?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Seeby

    > Text groups seem to be good (the ones I read anyway).
    >
    > Do you know anything about Orcon's plans on the 2MBit UBS? It seems to me
    > that there is no way that Orcon could risk offering an unlimited plan at
    > that speed, but what about a 20GB or 30GB cap with the average likely to be
    > under 10GB?
    >
    > That might make some of us happy.

    Well then you won't be too excited they appear to have been released
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/ (recently updated)

    Paul, Apr 19, 2005
  16. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > Well then you won't be too excited they appear to have been released
    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/ (recently updated)

    I laughed so much when I read that page I nearly wet myself. It actually
    says "Bitstream for gamers; Low latency, low jitters". I have been unable to
    play Diablo 2 online for two days for more than 5 minutes at a time. I keep
    getting "Connection interupted" and, when I am able to stay connected for a
    few minutes, I get ping-times of 4500ms+. (I used to get 180-220ms on Xtra
    dial-up)

    Ever since I've had bitstream (as soon as it became available) I've never
    had latency consistantly lower than 400ms (and even that's rare). Such
    blatent lies in advertising, surely it's actionable?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 19, 2005
  17. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:41:58 +1200, FreedomChooser wrote:

    > Incase you hadn't noticed
    > New Zealand is not a state of the USA

    In case you hadn't noticed - I didn't suggest that it was!!

    Bling Bling

    --
    /'_/)
    ,/_ /

    Bling-Bling, Apr 19, 2005
  18. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:02:48 +1200, Paul wrote:

    > Well then you won't be too excited they appear to have been released
    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/bitstream/ (recently updated)

    Wow! "Ultra high speed" at 0.25 times the speed of full speed broadband!

    "Ultra high speed" - I think not - especially given tht they're described
    as maximum speeds!

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Apr 19, 2005
  19. Bling-Bling wrote:
    >>I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    >>So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    >>happy?

    > When will Orcon be offering true, flatrate, uncapped, full-speed (8mbit)
    > broadband (with static IP) for residential clients?
    > Such a service is already available in the USA.

    Fibre to the door is availible in Korea, doesnt make it any more likely
    here dikwad.

    To answer your question, when it is economically viable.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 19, 2005
  20. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Mutlley Guest

    wrote:

    >I haven't heard any grumbles for a few days..
    >So - how is everyone finding the news server now?
    >happy?
    >
    >Cheers
    >Seeby

    The binary groups seem somewhat lacking in headers

    Mutlley, Apr 19, 2005