    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Collector_NZ

    Chris Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Well I just noticed that the posts via Orcon now get a F**ken add
    > appended to the bottom for Newsfeeds com.

    Yes, and it would appear to only works via dial up

    Chris, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Chris wrote:

    > Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Well I just noticed that the posts via Orcon now get a F**ken add
    >> appended to the bottom for Newsfeeds com.
    >>

    > Yes, and it would appear to only works via dial up

    It'll probably be doing auth by IP address.
    so until they have all of their IPs loaded, it'll probably be patchy.
    Dialup is easy, they "own" the IPs, the 128k DSL ones will also probably
    be fairly easy to do.

    The 256k DSL ones will probably be trickier to do, although they should
    have the IPs listed to access smtp etc.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Collector_NZ

    Chris Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Collector_NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well I just noticed that the posts via Orcon now get a F**ken add
    >>> appended to the bottom for Newsfeeds com.
    >>>

    >> Yes, and it would appear to only works via dial up

    > It'll probably be doing auth by IP address.
    > so until they have all of their IPs loaded, it'll probably be patchy.
    > Dialup is easy, they "own" the IPs, the 128k DSL ones will also probably
    > be fairly easy to do.
    >
    > The 256k DSL ones will probably be trickier to do, although they should
    > have the IPs listed to access smtp etc.

    Yes, this is it according to Orcon who rang me earlier this afternoon
    after I sent them another reminder email listing more faults.

    Scott from Orcon has also agreed to look into the other problems I have
    been experiencing when I provide him with the extra info he needs.

    This guy seemed to know what he was talking about and was pretty up
    front so it seems Orcon may not have "gone to the dark side" after all.
    We will see, not holding my breath, but having bagged them in the NG
    it's only fair I givem a chance to fixer up - I shall report back !

    Chris, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Chris wrote:
    >>> Yes, and it would appear to only works via dial up

    >> It'll probably be doing auth by IP address.
    >> so until they have all of their IPs loaded, it'll probably be patchy.
    >> Dialup is easy, they "own" the IPs, the 128k DSL ones will also
    >> probably be fairly easy to do.
    >> The 256k DSL ones will probably be trickier to do, although they
    >> should have the IPs listed to access smtp etc.

    > Yes, this is it according to Orcon who rang me earlier this afternoon
    > after I sent them another reminder email listing more faults.

    > This guy seemed to know what he was talking about and was pretty up
    > front so it seems Orcon may not have "gone to the dark side" after all.

    of all the helpdesks I've dealt with, Orcon have been the most upfront
    with issues.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 27, 2004
  6. Collector_NZ

    richard Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Well I just noticed that the posts via Orcon now get a F**ken add
    > appended to the bottom for Newsfeeds com.

    Well im on orcon as of yesterday, there news server isnt worknig, but they did
    reply to my email about it.

    Anyway, I clicked on the xtra one on mozilla, and it happilly still works for
    me, so Im guessing that either, 1, im not really on orcon despite the ppp on the
    m1122 dropping and coming back, or xtra are not really up with the play on what
    IPs they have.

    I cant check what isp im on by the reverse lookup, because there _isnt_ one...

    richard, Aug 27, 2004
  7. Collector_NZ

    Guest Guest

    In article <UrBXc.18458$>,
    says...
    > Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    > > Well I just noticed that the posts via Orcon now get a F**ken add
    > > appended to the bottom for Newsfeeds com.

    > Well im on orcon as of yesterday, there news server isnt worknig, but they did
    > reply to my email about it.
    >
    > Anyway, I clicked on the xtra one on mozilla, and it happilly still works for
    > me, so Im guessing that either, 1, im not really on orcon despite the ppp on the
    > m1122 dropping and coming back, or xtra are not really up with the play on what
    > IPs they have.
    >
    > I cant check what isp im on by the reverse lookup, because there _isnt_ one...

    I'm in the same boat jetsurf connecting into Orcon but getting auth
    errors with news.

    I've been trying to convince telecom/xtra that I no longer use xtra as
    an ISP but they keep billing me..grrr.

    Guest, Aug 27, 2004
  8. Collector_NZ

    Chris Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> It'll probably be doing auth by IP address.
    >>> so until they have all of their IPs loaded, it'll probably be patchy.
    >>> Dialup is easy, they "own" the IPs, the 128k DSL ones will also
    >>> probably be fairly easy to do.
    >>> The 256k DSL ones will probably be trickier to do, although they
    >>> should have the IPs listed to access smtp etc.

    >> Yes, this is it according to Orcon who rang me earlier this afternoon
    >> after I sent them another reminder email listing more faults.

    >> This guy seemed to know what he was talking about and was pretty up
    >> front so it seems Orcon may not have "gone to the dark side" after all.

    > of all the helpdesks I've dealt with, Orcon have been the most upfront
    > with issues.

    I should have mentioned that they were aware of the problem and it only
    related to blocks of IP's and they are waiting for newsfeeds.com to fix
    the problem. Orcon are expecting it to be fixed tomorrow when the yanks
    come into work. Aparently it required some intervention from someone
    that only works 9 to 5

    --
    __
    OK, whats below this text is not added by me, it's added by

    Chris, Aug 27, 2004
  9. richard wrote:
    > Anyway, I clicked on the xtra one on mozilla, and it happilly still
    > works for me, so Im guessing that either, 1, im not really on orcon
    > despite the ppp on the m1122 dropping and coming back, or xtra are not
    > really up with the play on what IPs they have.

    I used to use Xtra for news from another ISP, I had no trouble at all.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 27, 2004
  10. Collector_NZ

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Collector_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Well I just noticed that the posts via Orcon now get a F**ken add
    >> appended to the bottom for Newsfeeds com.
    >>

    > Yes, and it would appear to only works via dial up

    I'm on Jetstart and its been working fine since the changeover. Much
    faster now, too.

    Heaps of other problems, though, with recurring identical posts, in fact
    the ng looks a real mess. Thunderbird also keeps losing track of what
    has been read or not, and some posts seem to take ages to appear on the
    server. I suppose lots of the problems will just go away over the next
    few days.

    I hate that - it is quite offensive. It is *my* message - and I don't
    want advertising added to it.

    -=rjh=-, Aug 27, 2004
  11. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Chris said the following on 27/08/2004 16:20:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Chris wrote:

    >>> Yes, and it would appear to only works via dial up

    >> It'll probably be doing auth by IP address.
    >> so until they have all of their IPs loaded, it'll probably be patchy.
    >> Dialup is easy, they "own" the IPs, the 128k DSL ones will also
    >> probably be fairly easy to do.
    >>
    >> The 256k DSL ones will probably be trickier to do, although they
    >> should have the IPs listed to access smtp etc.
    >>

    > Yes, this is it according to Orcon who rang me earlier this afternoon
    > after I sent them another reminder email listing more faults.
    >
    > Scott from Orcon has also agreed to look into the other problems I have
    > been experiencing when I provide him with the extra info he needs.
    >
    > This guy seemed to know what he was talking about and was pretty up
    > front so it seems Orcon may not have "gone to the dark side" after all.
    > We will see, not holding my breath, but having bagged them in the NG
    > it's only fair I givem a chance to fixer up - I shall report back !

    Scott is 2nd tech guru at Orcon, good guy and on top of it.
    I got a reply indicating that they where aware of the IP range Auth
    problem and where dealing with it and I notice Craig doing test posts in
    NZ.TEST today so maybe it is fixed.

    Now this bloody add, it dosnt even have the right prefix to be snipped
    when you are reply a bit poor I reckon. I dont mind it in posts but in
    every reply twice (unless you manually snip it) is a bit much

    Collector_NZ, Aug 27, 2004
  12. Collector_NZ

    Worm Guest

    "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Well I just noticed that the posts via Orcon now get a F**ken add
    > appended to the bottom for Newsfeeds com.

    *shrug* Don't really give a flying f*ck...as long as the thing works ;)

    Worm

    Worm, Aug 28, 2004
  13. Our usenet provider has indicated that the add will be removed soon.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Aug 28, 2004
  14. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Craig Whitmore said the following on 29/08/2004 09:31:

    > Our usenet provider has indicated that the add will be removed soon.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig
    >
    > "Worm" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Well I just noticed that the posts via Orcon now get a F**ken add
    >>>appended to the bottom for Newsfeeds com.

    >>*shrug* Don't really give a flying f*ck...as long as the thing works ;)

    I dont mind the adds as long as the proper sig snip is used.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 28, 2004
  15. Collector_NZ

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > Craig Whitmore said the following on 29/08/2004 09:31:
    >
    >> Our usenet provider has indicated that the add will be removed soon.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Craig
    >>
    >> "Worm" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> "Collector_NZ" <> wrote in message

    >>> *shrug* Don't really give a flying f*ck...as long as the thing works ;)

    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    > I dont mind the adds as long as the proper sig snip is used.

    I'm pleased they are being removed; they clutter up the ng, especially
    as they don't get snipped. I doubt that as advertising it even very
    effective, and would have thought newsfeeds.com should be attempting to
    advertise to ISPs directly - I'm sure that is where the bulk of their
    business should be coming from.

    I consider (text, not necessarily binaries) newsgroups to be part of the
    base service an ISP provides, so I'm paying for this service - why
    should I accept my posts being tagged with advertising?

    Besides, the situation is somewhat similar to TV logos. One occasional
    logo might be acceptable, but its getting difficult to watch some NZ FTA
    TV channels these days, you can hardly see the content for the logos
    plastered all over it.

    FWIW,

    -=rjh=-, Aug 29, 2004
  16. Collector_NZ

    Chris Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Chris said the following on 27/08/2004 16:20:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> It'll probably be doing auth by IP address.
    >>> so until they have all of their IPs loaded, it'll probably be patchy.
    >>> Dialup is easy, they "own" the IPs, the 128k DSL ones will also
    >>> probably be fairly easy to do.
    >>>
    >>> The 256k DSL ones will probably be trickier to do, although they
    >>> should have the IPs listed to access smtp etc.
    >>>

    >> Yes, this is it according to Orcon who rang me earlier this afternoon
    >> after I sent them another reminder email listing more faults.
    >>
    >> Scott from Orcon has also agreed to look into the other problems I
    >> have been experiencing when I provide him with the extra info he needs.
    >>
    >> This guy seemed to know what he was talking about and was pretty up
    >> front so it seems Orcon may not have "gone to the dark side" after
    >> all. We will see, not holding my breath, but having bagged them in
    >> the NG it's only fair I givem a chance to fixer up - I shall report
    >> back !
    >>

    > Scott is 2nd tech guru at Orcon, good guy and on top of it.
    > I got a reply indicating that they where aware of the IP range Auth
    > problem and where dealing with it and I notice Craig doing test posts in
    > NZ.TEST today so maybe it is fixed.
    >
    > Now this bloody add, it dosnt even have the right prefix to be snipped
    > when you are reply a bit poor I reckon. I dont mind it in posts but in
    > every reply twice (unless you manually snip it) is a bit much

    You know, I just realised that if you put the proper sig snip "-- "
    above your own sig then if someone relpies with a compliant news client
    the add gets snipped as well as you sig since the add falls below your sig.

    --
    OK, whats below this text is not added by me, it's added by
    www.newsfeed.com becase thats where my ISP gets their news feed from,

    Chris, Aug 29, 2004
  17. Collector_NZ

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:31:49 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > Our usenet provider has indicated that the add will be removed soon.

    Craig, any indication of when the current errors with some news reader's
    accessing your server will be fixed ?

    Currently it seems that anyone not using the exploit-ridden, inflexible
    Outlook express is prone to getting:

    ¡E 'too many connection attempts' type errors (mine is currently set at
    _1_...)

    ¡E 'posting article failed: authentication error' (even though I have my
    orcon logon in there, AND am connected to Orcon's jetstream surf ip range -
    the 222.x.x.x one usually, which has been blacklisted by some due to past
    spamming IIRC and this may be the problem)...

    I am using 40tude Dialog for news and email. Basically, Agent with
    scripting, multi server support, etc, under win xp pro.
    www.40tude.com/dialog. It works perfectly well with everyone else - the
    fact you are seeing this message - posted through individual.net - proves
    that.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other." -- Eric Hoffer

    Note: All my comments are copyright 29/08/2004 1:31:21 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Aug 29, 2004
  18. Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > Our usenet provider has indicated that the add will be removed soon.

    Was the ads being removed a condition of using their service?

    The indication I have from newsfeeds.com is that the ads can only be
    bypassed by customers having an account with them directly. This is done
    by posting to another server that does not allow access by IP.

    Dnews does not support selective advertising, so either Orcon is going
    to change their CNAME entry to a server other than corp.newsfeeds.com,
    meaning yet more disruption for Orcon customers, or newsfeeds.com is
    going to remove this for everyone. If the latter, I'm sure they would
    have mentioned it.

    Sure newsfeeds.com is cheap, but was it the best service Orcon could
    have provided? Was any research acually done in to other options, or was
    the switch made overnight due to complaints? Last I heard the NNTP
    service was to be upgraded... was this the planned 'upgrade' (if so why
    was it delayed?), and if not, what happened to those plans?

    It seems Orcon is still failing to realise the value of a decent NNTP
    service to customers, and the fact that those users who use NNTP
    regularly are more likely to be the ones advising potential customers
    which ISP choice is the best.

    TOG

    The Other Guy, Aug 29, 2004
  19. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    The Other Guy said the following on 30/08/2004 08:34:

    > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >
    >> Our usenet provider has indicated that the add will be removed soon.
    >>

    > Was the ads being removed a condition of using their service?
    >
    > The indication I have from newsfeeds.com is that the ads can only be
    > bypassed by customers having an account with them directly. This is done
    > by posting to another server that does not allow access by IP.
    >
    > Dnews does not support selective advertising, so either Orcon is going
    > to change their CNAME entry to a server other than corp.newsfeeds.com,
    > meaning yet more disruption for Orcon customers, or newsfeeds.com is
    > going to remove this for everyone. If the latter, I'm sure they would
    > have mentioned it.
    >
    > Sure newsfeeds.com is cheap, but was it the best service Orcon could
    > have provided? Was any research acually done in to other options, or was
    > the switch made overnight due to complaints? Last I heard the NNTP
    > service was to be upgraded... was this the planned 'upgrade' (if so why
    > was it delayed?), and if not, what happened to those plans?
    >
    > It seems Orcon is still failing to realise the value of a decent NNTP
    > service to customers, and the fact that those users who use NNTP
    > regularly are more likely to be the ones advising potential customers
    > which ISP choice is the best.
    >
    > TOG

    Google NZ.COMP for a history of the situation. It is a reasonable
    solution for the number of users Orcon has on NNTP (a number not really
    increasing by much as well).

    I dont mind the adds, so long as they snip which if you have a sig snip
    tag -- they do end up being.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 30, 2004
  20. Collector_NZ wrote:
    > Google NZ.COMP for a history of the situation. It is a reasonable
    > solution for the number of users Orcon has on NNTP (a number not really
    > increasing by much as well).

    I'm well aware of the ongoing issues with the Orcon newsfeed. I helped
    diagnose past problems with it.

    Advertising and pollution of newsgroups in such a way that can result in
    multiple messages having the same message id, or worse (as in the case
    of terranews), identical messages having different ids, is not what I
    would consider acceptable practice with ANY number of users.

    I don't think it has ever been stated how many users Orcon has who
    access NTTP services regularly. A full text feed is not substancial,
    still only a few GB per day. Divide the amount up amongst the users, and
    it is a small amount compared to what one 'JetStart' user can download
    per day.

    Orcon has capacity to handle peak user loads. At times when capacity is
    not used, it could easily cope with a trivial amount of data for a text
    feed - if not a substancially improved binary feed.

    They have provided a shitty binary news feed for years, the could easily
    provide a good quality text feed using much less bandwidth than that used.

    They even believed their service was good enough to sell on to other
    people -

    http://www.orcon.net.nz/products/isp/news/

    TOG

    The Other Guy, Aug 30, 2004