    it "properly" rather than just a band-aid. I'll keep you posted when I know
    more."

    And promptly. Tends to reinforce my own personal view that Orcon is NZ's leading ISP.

    Collector, May 13, 2004

  2. Collector

    steve Guest

    Collector wrote:
    > I have been watching the performance of Orcons news server since the
    > last outage. It still has a few hiccups so I mentioned them in an email
    > to my contact at Orcon, who is in a position to do something about it.
    >
    > He replied thus
    >
    > "I now have approval for a few options I presented to remedy this, and
    > confirmation that we will be offering a news server as a long-term strategy
    > - so this will allow me to narrow my options and make a decision in the
    > next
    > 2 weeks on the exact way forward.
    > I'm sorry if this is longer than you would hope, but my goal has been to
    > fix
    > it "properly" rather than just a band-aid. I'll keep you posted when I know
    > more."
    >
    > And promptly. Tends to reinforce my own personal view that Orcon is NZ's
    > leading ISP.

    That's good news. I've been using orcon the past few weeks and noticed
    that some of the posts end up with the headers not matching the contents.

    If they got rid of the news server, I'd have to get a new ISP....and
    that's always a pain.

    "..... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed
    to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves
    by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
    - Thomas Jefferson

    steve, May 13, 2004

  3. Collector wrote:
    > Tends to reinforce my own personal view that Orcon is NZ's
    > leading ISP.

    So because they provide a good news service, and you get a prompt reply
    by going via an internal contact, that somehow makes them NZ's leading ISP?

    Im not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to figure out how you came
    to that conclusion.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 13, 2004
  4. Collector

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Collector wrote:
    >
    >> Tends to reinforce my own personal view that Orcon is NZ's leading ISP.

    > So because they provide a good news service, and you get a prompt reply
    > by going via an internal contact, that somehow makes them NZ's leading ISP?
    >
    > Im not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to figure out how you came
    > to that conclusion.

    They seem responsive and accessible. Every time I call them, they answer
    the phone almost immediately.

    By contrast, TelstraClear / Paradise could take up to 30 minutes to
    answer the phone....and would take up to a week to answer e-mails.

    steve, May 13, 2004
  5. Collector

    Collector Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Collector wrote:
    >
    >> Tends to reinforce my own personal view that Orcon is NZ's leading ISP.

    > So because they provide a good news service, and you get a prompt
    > reply by going via an internal contact, that somehow makes them NZ's
    > leading ISP?
    >
    > Im not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to figure out how you came
    > to that conclusion.

    I have over the several years I have used them as my ISP referred a
    large number of clients to them, none of those clients have changed ISP
    due to dissatisfaction. I have had consistent levels of service from
    them in excess of that experienced with other ISPs. They have become one
    of the more economical ISPs around.

    My contact over the News Groups is a manager there and he and I
    correspond because he replied to my earlier complaints about the news
    server and they have done something about it and stated a commitment to
    providing a good news server service.

    Collector, May 13, 2004
  6. "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > Collector wrote:
    > >
    > >> Tends to reinforce my own personal view that Orcon is NZ's leading ISP.

    > > So because they provide a good news service, and you get a prompt reply
    > > by going via an internal contact, that somehow makes them NZ's leading

    ISP?

    > > Im not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to figure out how you came
    > > to that conclusion.

    > They seem responsive and accessible. Every time I call them, they answer
    > the phone almost immediately.
    >
    > By contrast, TelstraClear / Paradise could take up to 30 minutes to
    > answer the phone....and would take up to a week to answer e-mails.

    Try Wave then. Emails and phone calls all answered promptly.

    Roger Dewhurst, May 13, 2004
  7. Collector

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    steve wrote:

    > They seem responsive and accessible. Every time I call them, they answer
    > the phone almost immediately.
    >
    > By contrast, TelstraClear / Paradise could take up to 30 minutes to
    > answer the phone....and would take up to a week to answer e-mails.

    I've found the exact same thing. Once, I waited a good couple of
    minutes and then hung up only to have them ring me back.

    The only problems I have had relate to changing from jet start to jet
    surf and switching over from Paradise - all the billing cycles were
    different. I had 3 days of Orcon on jet start, then started a new month
    on Orcon jet start then a week into that changed over to jet surf.

    Chris Mayhew, May 13, 2004
  8. steve wrote
    > They seem responsive and accessible. Every time I call them, they answer
    > the phone almost immediately.

    indeed.

    > By contrast, TelstraClear / Paradise could take up to 30 minutes to
    > answer the phone....and would take up to a week to answer e-mails.

    heh, and i thought they just recognised my phone number on caller ID and
    werent answering

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 13, 2004
  9. Collector

    David Pears Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:05:30 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >That's good news. I've been using orcon the past few weeks and noticed
    >that some of the posts end up with the headers not matching the contents.

    This is just too zany. You've always been a "do as I say, not as I do"
    person. But surely you remember writing all of these (the last one is
    my favourite)...

    | If you want to be a stalker.....get an Orcon account.

    | This second group blame the victims - knowing they can do nothing about
    | Red and Orcon's stalker-friendly abuse policies

    | He certainly makes Orcon look like a mickey mouse ISP, though....doesn't
    | he?
    |
    | Their Internet abuse policy - if they even have one - must be pure arsewipe.

    | Orcon clearly have no policy on USENET abuse at all.

    | Times change. If you'd care to complain to Orcon about their
    | stalker-friendly abuse policies, I may reconsider using a stable identity.

    | It isn't the Green Party.....
    |
    | They don't use the Orcon - the stalker's haven - for a start.

    | Orcon - the ISP for assholes.

    David

    David Pears, May 13, 2004
  10. Collector

    Collector Guest

    David Pears wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:05:30 +1200, steve <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>That's good news. I've been using orcon the past few weeks and noticed
    >>that some of the posts end up with the headers not matching the contents.
    >>

    >This is just too zany. You've always been a "do as I say, not as I do"
    >person. But surely you remember writing all of these (the last one is
    >my favourite)...
    >
    >| If you want to be a stalker.....get an Orcon account.
    >

    >| This second group blame the victims - knowing they can do nothing about
    >| Red and Orcon's stalker-friendly abuse policies
    >

    >| He certainly makes Orcon look like a mickey mouse ISP, though....doesn't
    >| he?
    >|
    >| Their Internet abuse policy - if they even have one - must be pure arsewipe.
    >

    >| Orcon clearly have no policy on USENET abuse at all.
    >

    >| Times change. If you'd care to complain to Orcon about their
    >| stalker-friendly abuse policies, I may reconsider using a stable identity.
    >

    >| It isn't the Green Party.....
    >|
    >| They don't use the Orcon - the stalker's haven - for a start.
    >

    >| Orcon - the ISP for assholes.
    >
    >David

    Oh dear we have another junior to deal with.

    Look turkey face, your contribution is negative in a positive thread.

    Have you considered that if you have a comment to make it can be done
    better by establishing your own thread and venting there when your
    comments are so * off topic * in this thread.

    Now if you care to establish a thread on Orcon having a stalker friendly
    policy I will debate with you, and if you like I will get Orcon to read it.

    Collector, May 13, 2004
  11. Collector

    Graymond Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>So because they provide a good news service, and you get a prompt reply
    >>>by going via an internal contact, that somehow makes them NZ's leading

    > ISP?
    >
    >>>Im not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to figure out how you came
    >>>to that conclusion.

    >>They seem responsive and accessible. Every time I call them, they answer
    >>the phone almost immediately.
    >>
    >>By contrast, TelstraClear / Paradise could take up to 30 minutes to
    >>answer the phone....and would take up to a week to answer e-mails.

    > Try Wave then. Emails and phone calls all answered promptly.

    Shame they may be going to Aussie ownership ??

    Graymond, May 13, 2004
  12. Collector

    David Pears Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:38:10 +1200, Collector
    <> wrote:

    >>| Orcon - the ISP for assholes.
    >>

    >Oh dear we have another junior to deal with.

    "Junior"? Is this some sort of new insult? Because if it is, it is a
    particularly ineffective one.

    >Look turkey face, your contribution is negative in a positive thread.

    "Turkey face"? I like the farmyard touch. Are you some sort of farm
    worker or a vet?

    >Have you considered that if you have a comment to make it can be done
    >better by establishing your own thread and venting there when your
    >comments are so * off topic * in this thread.

    The thread is called "Orcon News Server". One of the posters to the
    thread reveals that he uses Orcon as an ISP. That same poster has
    spent the last year heaping insult upon insult on Orcon as an ISP,
    especially in relation to its policies regarding news misuse. Sounds
    relevant to the thread to me.

    >Now if you care to establish a thread on Orcon having a stalker friendly
    >policy I will debate with you, and if you like I will get Orcon to read it.

    Why on Earth would I want to debate Orcon's policies with anyone, let
    alone you? And why would I care if anyone from Orcon read the thread?
    The issue isn't Orcon's policies, but the rank hypocrisy of the quoted
    poster.

    David

    David Pears, May 13, 2004
  13. Collector

    Collector Guest

    David Pears wrote:

    >>Oh dear we have another junior to deal with.
    >>

    >"Junior"? Is this some sort of new insult? Because if it is, it is a
    >particularly ineffective one.

    Well its not really a new insult its just a nice way to present it.

    >>Look turkey face, your contribution is negative in a positive thread.
    >>

    >"Turkey face"? I like the farmyard touch. Are you some sort of farm
    >worker or a vet?

    No but it is nice to see that you are close enough to recocognise it

    >>Have you considered that if you have a comment to make it can be done
    >>better by establishing your own thread and venting there when your
    >>comments are so * off topic * in this thread.
    >>

    >The thread is called "Orcon News Server". One of the posters to the
    >thread reveals that he uses Orcon as an ISP. That same poster has
    >spent the last year heaping insult upon insult on Orcon as an ISP,
    >especially in relation to its policies regarding news misuse. Sounds
    >relevant to the thread to me.

    But your comments were not relevent --- Yours were redundant

    >>Now if you care to establish a thread on Orcon having a stalker friendly
    >>policy I will debate with you, and if you like I will get Orcon to read it.
    >>

    >Why on Earth would I want to debate Orcon's policies with anyone, let
    >alone you? And why would I care if anyone from Orcon read the thread?
    >The issue isn't Orcon's policies, but the rank hypocrisy of the quoted
    >poster.
    >
    >David

    Oh dear another youngster.
    Scared of posting in an open debate
    Now as to the poster and his hypocrisy why not meet us all in an open
    debate rather than post negatively when you see a target adding negitive
    things to a positive posting is not a good karma (gets you -1 on slash dot)

    If you would like to validate me have a look at the thread Internet Age

    Collector, May 13, 2004
  14. Collector

    David Pears Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:20:46 +1200, Collector
    <> wrote:

    >>>Oh dear we have another junior to deal with.
    >>>

    >>"Junior"? Is this some sort of new insult? Because if it is, it is a
    >>particularly ineffective one.
    >>

    >Well its not really a new insult its just a nice way to present it.

    What is "it"? Stop being so cryptic.

    >>>Look turkey face, your contribution is negative in a positive thread.
    >>>

    >>"Turkey face"? I like the farmyard touch. Are you some sort of farm
    >>worker or a vet?
    >>

    >No but it is nice to see that you are close enough to recocognise it

    Again, this odd reference to "it"? Will I know "it" when I see "it",
    perhaps?

    >>>Have you considered that if you have a comment to make it can be done
    >>>better by establishing your own thread and venting there when your
    >>>comments are so * off topic * in this thread.
    >>>

    >>The thread is called "Orcon News Server". One of the posters to the
    >>thread reveals that he uses Orcon as an ISP. That same poster has
    >>spent the last year heaping insult upon insult on Orcon as an ISP,
    >>especially in relation to its policies regarding news misuse. Sounds
    >>relevant to the thread to me.
    >>

    >But your comments were not relevent --- Yours were redundant

    How could they be redundant when they hadn't been made before?

    >>>Now if you care to establish a thread on Orcon having a stalker friendly
    >>>policy I will debate with you, and if you like I will get Orcon to read it.
    >>>

    >>Why on Earth would I want to debate Orcon's policies with anyone, let
    >>alone you? And why would I care if anyone from Orcon read the thread?
    >>The issue isn't Orcon's policies, but the rank hypocrisy of the quoted
    >>poster.
    >>
    >>David
    >>

    >Oh dear another youngster.

    I've been around the NZ newsgroups for around 9 years now. I've always
    posted with my own name. My approximate age is no secret.

    >Scared of posting in an open debate

    This is getting very surreal. I'm posting in an open debate at this
    very moment. And it isn't particularly scarey, altho you seem to be
    hiding behind a pseudonym and so it obviously makes you a little
    nervous, at least.

    >Now as to the poster and his hypocrisy why not meet us all in an open
    >debate rather than post negatively when you see a target adding negitive
    >things to a positive posting is not a good karma (gets you -1 on slash dot)

    We're already in an open debate. And if anything warranted a bizarre
    "-1" karma rating, it was your sad "junior" and "turkey face" cracks.

    >If you would like to validate me have a look at the thread Internet Age

    What on Earth does validating you mean, and why would I possibly want
    to do this? I don't remember any of your previous posts, if there are
    any. And I don't care who you are.

    David

    David Pears, May 13, 2004
  15. Collector

    Gordon Smith Guest

    > So because they provide a good news service, and you get a prompt reply
    > by going via an internal contact, that somehow makes them NZ's leading

    ISP?

    > Im not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to figure out how you came
    > to that conclusion.

    And Orcon's news feed is still coming from ICONZ, AFAIK.
    And ICONZ gets theirs from Telstra......

    Gordon Smith, May 13, 2004
  16. Collector

    steve Guest

    David Pears wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:05:30 +1200, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>That's good news. I've been using orcon the past few weeks and noticed
    >>that some of the posts end up with the headers not matching the contents.

    > This is just too zany. You've always been a "do as I say, not as I do"
    > person. But surely you remember writing all of these (the last one is
    > my favourite)...
    >
    > | If you want to be a stalker.....get an Orcon account.

    Some malicious person kept complaining about my posts - and paradise was
    sending me noted to this effect.

    When we looked into it in detail, they agreed that the people I was
    responding were much more offensive than I was....

    But I did want to left in peace and if Orcon can shelter the liars and
    stalkers like Redbaiter in the name of free speech then it will also
    work for people like me who insist on highlighting that people
    determined to be ignorant and prejudiced - like yourself - are just that.

    steve, May 14, 2004
  17. Collector

    steve Guest

    Collector wrote:

    > Oh dear another youngster.

    David isn't so much a youngster as an idiot. If that seems harsh....give
    it time and you'll see what I mean.

    > Scared of posting in an open debate
    > Now as to the poster and his hypocrisy why not meet us all in an open
    > debate rather than post negatively when you see a target adding negitive
    > things to a positive posting is not a good karma (gets you -1 on slash
    > dot)
    >
    > If you would like to validate me have a look at the thread Internet Age

    I moved to Orcon becasue David's abusive buddies kept complaining about
    my posts to my ISP...wheras Orcon does didly squat about such complaints.

    If unfettered and unrestrained free speech is good enough for
    them....it's good enough for me, too.

    I'd prefer a pro-active ISP who kicked abusive people like Redbaiter
    out. But I refuse ot be at the mercy of their complaints on my ISP
    while they post from an ISP who couldn't give shit.

    So I moved to Orcon - who also had a great ADSL deal.

    No hypocrisy there. Pure pragmatism.

    steve, May 14, 2004
  18. Collector

    steve Guest

    David Pears wrote:

    > What on Earth does validating you mean, and why would I possibly want
    > to do this? I don't remember any of your previous posts, if there are
    > any. And I don't care who you are.
    >
    > David

    Your lack of recall and disregard for the facts is legendary.

    steve, May 14, 2004
  19. steve wrote:
    > But I did want to left in peace and if Orcon can shelter the liars and
    > stalkers like Redbaiter in the name of free speech then it will also
    > work for people like me who insist on highlighting that people
    > determined to be ignorant and prejudiced - like yourself - are just that.

    ummm, so if you can't beat them, join them?

    maybe a spam friendly ISP would be a good idea next, first the spammers
    join, then the ones who hate spam.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 14, 2004
  20. Collector

    David Pears Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 12:19:28 +1200, steve <>
    wrote:

    >>>That's good news. I've been using orcon the past few weeks and noticed
    >>>that some of the posts end up with the headers not matching the contents.

    >> This is just too zany. You've always been a "do as I say, not as I do"
    >> person. But surely you remember writing all of these (the last one is
    >> my favourite)...
    >>
    >> | If you want to be a stalker.....get an Orcon account.

    >Some malicious person kept complaining about my posts - and paradise was
    >sending me noted to this effect.
    >
    >When we looked into it in detail, they agreed that the people I was
    >responding were much more offensive than I was....

    Canadian to NZish translation: "I complained about other people's
    offensive posts and was outraged that their ISP didn't do anything
    about them. But I was outraged about other people complaining about my
    offensive posts, and was glad my ISP didn't do anything about them."

    >But I did want to left in peace and if Orcon can shelter the liars and
    >stalkers like Redbaiter in the name of free speech then it will also
    >work for people like me who insist on highlighting that people
    >determined to be ignorant and prejudiced - like yourself - are just that.

    Canadian to NZish translation: "Orcon are the ISP for assholes.
    Naturally they were my first choice."

    David

    David Pears, May 14, 2004