    preferably NZ-based and not clunky.

    Thanks for your help
    EB
    Evil Bastard, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Evil Bastard

    Mutley Guest

    Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Is it just me, or does the Orcon news server only have a tiny set of
    >groups?
    >
    >A few international groups (eg comp.lang.python) are not updating.
    >
    >If this is the case, can anyone suggest a better NZ-based news server
    >which is accessible from an orcon connection?
    >
    >If not, can anyone please suggest a good website for accessing news,
    >preferably NZ-based and not clunky.
    >
    >Thanks for your help
    >EB

    NZ News servers including Orcon or renowned for their bad new group
    listings and propagation. I use Teranews. www.teranews.com. You
    can get a free 50Meg / day account..
    Mutley, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Evil Bastard

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Mutley <> wrote in

    > Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >>Is it just me, or does the Orcon news server only have a tiny set of
    >>groups?
    >>
    >>A few international groups (eg comp.lang.python) are not updating.
    >>
    >>If this is the case, can anyone suggest a better NZ-based news server
    >>which is accessible from an orcon connection?
    >>
    >>If not, can anyone please suggest a good website for accessing news,
    >>preferably NZ-based and not clunky.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help
    >>EB

    > NZ News servers including Orcon or renowned for their bad new group
    > listings and propagation. I use Teranews. www.teranews.com. You
    > can get a free 50Meg / day account..

    Not quite

    "...Due to the overwhelming response to our free account offer and the
    costs associated with verifying credit card information we have begun
    charging a one time setup fee of $3.95. Their are no reoccurring monthly
    fees with our 50MB/day package...."

    Still it was worth a look and most likely still worth it considering it's
    only a 1 off charge....
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 9, 2003
  4. On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 20:17:20 GMT, Chris Mayhew <>
    proffered, in : news:Xns942F5E56F51AFnoemale@202.20.93.13:

    > Still it was worth a look and most likely still worth it
    > considering it's only a 1 off charge....

    It is worth it. I've been with Teranews for a couple of years now. THey
    have beeen true to their word - just the one off charge of $3.95US, and
    very good service, compared to NZ's pathetic NNTP service. It's the
    best there is for the price, for sure. Their pay service is only
    $7.95US a month for 200MB a day, if you're into binaries.

    --
    Eschew obfuscation.

    http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Evil Bastard

    Mutley Guest

    Max Quordlepleen <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 20:17:20 GMT, Chris Mayhew <>
    >proffered, in : news:Xns942F5E56F51AFnoemale@202.20.93.13:
    >

    >> Still it was worth a look and most likely still worth it
    >> considering it's only a 1 off charge....
    >>

    >It is worth it. I've been with Teranews for a couple of years now. THey
    >have beeen true to their word - just the one off charge of $3.95US, and
    >very good service, compared to NZ's pathetic NNTP service. It's the
    >best there is for the price, for sure. Their pay service is only
    >$7.95US a month for 200MB a day, if you're into binaries.

    There is also another that will be worth a look at. It is currently
    in it's final beta test phase so you won't be able to sign up but the
    pricing packages don't look too bad.

    http://www.octanews.com/pricing/
    Mutley, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Evil Bastard

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <Xns942F5E56F51AFnoemale@202.20.93.13>, says...
    > Mutley <> wrote in
    >
    > > Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Is it just me, or does the Orcon news server only have a tiny set of
    > >>groups?
    > >>
    > >>A few international groups (eg comp.lang.python) are not updating.
    > >>
    > >>If this is the case, can anyone suggest a better NZ-based news server
    > >>which is accessible from an orcon connection?
    > >>
    > >>If not, can anyone please suggest a good website for accessing news,
    > >>preferably NZ-based and not clunky.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks for your help
    > >>EB

    > > NZ News servers including Orcon or renowned for their bad new group
    > > listings and propagation. I use Teranews. www.teranews.com. You
    > > can get a free 50Meg / day account..
    > >

    > Not quite
    >
    > "...Due to the overwhelming response to our free account offer and the
    > costs associated with verifying credit card information we have begun
    > charging a one time setup fee of $3.95. Their are no reoccurring monthly
    > fees with our 50MB/day package...."
    >
    > Still it was worth a look and most likely still worth it considering it's
    > only a 1 off charge....

    Xusenet.com have a free service, but I think the daily limit is quite
    low. DOesn't require credit card details
    Mainlander, Nov 10, 2003