    commentary / source on any new / hot / rising political issue.

    But there's pretty much nothing to follow on the Orcon server.

    *sigh*......back to Google Groups.

    steve, Apr 15, 2005

  2. In message <425f94e5$>, steve
    <> wrote:

    >Oh dear....
    >
    >The new orcon news server (Giganews) is full of ancient posts....and
    >newsgroups that are busy on other news servers but damn near inactive on
    >this one.
    >
    >"alt.politics" usually has about 1,000 new posts each day.....yet from
    >the Orcon/GigaNews server, it appears there have been only 239 posts
    >over the past 3 YEARS...........
    >
    >I follow alt.politics as it often / usually has the very first net
    >commentary / source on any new / hot / rising political issue.
    >
    >But there's pretty much nothing to follow on the Orcon server.
    >
    >*sigh*......back to Google Groups.

    Is this one hit, or over a period of days? It could be that Orcon
    samples posts of idle groups give browsers an idea of what's posted
    there, and will update properly if you start regularly requesting it.
    Having nothing until someone requests posts is not uncommon. Maybe
    this is a variation of that?
    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Apr 15, 2005

  3. On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:14:07 UTC, R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh
    <> wrote:

    > In message <425f94e5$>, steve
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Oh dear....
    > >
    > >The new orcon news server (Giganews) is full of ancient posts....and
    > >newsgroups that are busy on other news servers but damn near inactive on
    > >this one.
    > >
    > >"alt.politics" usually has about 1,000 new posts each day.....yet from
    > >the Orcon/GigaNews server, it appears there have been only 239 posts
    > >over the past 3 YEARS...........
    > >
    > >I follow alt.politics as it often / usually has the very first net
    > >commentary / source on any new / hot / rising political issue.
    > >
    > >But there's pretty much nothing to follow on the Orcon server.
    > >
    > >*sigh*......back to Google Groups.

    > Is this one hit, or over a period of days? It could be that Orcon
    > samples posts of idle groups give browsers an idea of what's posted
    > there, and will update properly if you start regularly requesting it.
    > Having nothing until someone requests posts is not uncommon. Maybe
    > this is a variation of that?

    On a new Dnews sucking server setup, newsgroups default to not being
    sucked and there is nothing in the local Dnews database for the group.
    Someone has to access the newsgroup, then you have to wait a while
    for it to suck a copy of it from its upstream servers. This may
    happen fairly quickly, or it may have to wait for some set period for
    the next scheduled suck from the upstream servers. So before you get
    too worried about it, try downloading from all the groups you want on
    Orcon, then coming back the next day to see if they are now up to date
    and sucking regularly.

    Stephen Worthington, Apr 15, 2005
  4. steve wrote:
    > Oh dear....
    >
    > The new orcon news server (Giganews) is full of ancient posts....and
    > newsgroups that are busy on other news servers but damn near inactive on
    > this one.
    >
    > "alt.politics" usually has about 1,000 new posts each day.....yet from
    > the Orcon/GigaNews server, it appears there have been only 239 posts
    > over the past 3 YEARS...........
    >
    > I follow alt.politics as it often / usually has the very first net
    > commentary / source on any new / hot / rising political issue.
    >
    > But there's pretty much nothing to follow on the Orcon server.
    >
    > *sigh*......back to Google Groups.

    It appears alt.politics was not cached.

    C:\>nntpscan news.orcon.net.nz -groups:alt.politics -!r:newsgroups:.*,.*
    -backup:#nsnum.txt
    Connecting to news.orcon.net.nz:119... done
    Obtaining list of newsgroups from server... 1 matching group found
    Processing alt.politics from 1223429 to 1223802...
    Message matching rule 0 - alt.politics:1223634

    Running a regular expression match against the newsgroups header, I
    found only one message that wasn't a cross-post, and it is from you...

    ----- 1223634.txt -----
    Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:12:55 +1200
    From: steve <>
    Newsgroups: alt.politics
    Subject: so let's see if this works.....stupid news server.....

    d'oh!!!!!!!!
    ----- 1223634.txt -----

    Because they are all cross posts, it is most likely they were added
    while updating other cached groups. Posting your message won't cause
    DNews to cache the group, but it will be sent out to other servers.

    To cause a group to be cached, you must _read_ a message (you may have
    done this already). I done it now in alt.politics, so it should update
    within the next hour or so. If not, then you'll need to contact Orcon
    directly to get them to fix it.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 15, 2005
  5. The Other Guy said the following on 16/04/2005 8:17 a.m.:
    tly to get them to fix it.

    > The Other Guy

    Okay you seem to be doing Craigs job at the moment :cool:

    Can you estimate when the server will catch up in Nz groups, it is
    painful to the point of unusable at the moment and has been since day dot.

    Propergation also appears to be very slow, a message posted on another
    nz server can take an hour to appear, likewise messages posted on Orcon
    take ages to propergate to other NZ servers.

    It appears that unless it improves substantially the old proxy to news
    groups might have been better. When we tested giga for Craig as news2 it
    was good, but I suspect that test was being proxied to Giga not being
    used as a feed as it is now.

    My email is real and unmunged, it is checked from time to time.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 15, 2005
  6. steve

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:14:07 UTC, R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>In message <425f94e5$>, steve
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Oh dear....
    >>>
    >>>The new orcon news server (Giganews) is full of ancient posts....and
    >>>newsgroups that are busy on other news servers but damn near inactive on
    >>>this one.
    >>>
    >>>"alt.politics" usually has about 1,000 new posts each day.....yet from
    >>>the Orcon/GigaNews server, it appears there have been only 239 posts
    >>>over the past 3 YEARS...........
    >>>
    >>>I follow alt.politics as it often / usually has the very first net
    >>>commentary / source on any new / hot / rising political issue.
    >>>
    >>>But there's pretty much nothing to follow on the Orcon server.
    >>>
    >>>*sigh*......back to Google Groups.

    >>Is this one hit, or over a period of days? It could be that Orcon
    >>samples posts of idle groups give browsers an idea of what's posted
    >>there, and will update properly if you start regularly requesting it.
    >>Having nothing until someone requests posts is not uncommon. Maybe
    >>this is a variation of that?

    > On a new Dnews sucking server setup, newsgroups default to not being
    > sucked and there is nothing in the local Dnews database for the group.
    > Someone has to access the newsgroup, then you have to wait a while
    > for it to suck a copy of it from its upstream servers. This may
    > happen fairly quickly, or it may have to wait for some set period for
    > the next scheduled suck from the upstream servers. So before you get
    > too worried about it, try downloading from all the groups you want on
    > Orcon, then coming back the next day to see if they are now up to date
    > and sucking regularly.

    Well I have been waiting a couple of days now for a couple of groups
    that still have the original message.

    Chris Mayhew, Apr 16, 2005
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:
    > In message <425f94e5$>, steve
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Oh dear....
    >>
    >>The new orcon news server (Giganews) is full of ancient posts....and
    >>newsgroups that are busy on other news servers but damn near inactive on
    >>this one.
    >>
    >>"alt.politics" usually has about 1,000 new posts each day.....yet from
    >>the Orcon/GigaNews server, it appears there have been only 239 posts
    >>over the past 3 YEARS...........
    >>
    >>I follow alt.politics as it often / usually has the very first net
    >>commentary / source on any new / hot / rising political issue.
    >>
    >>But there's pretty much nothing to follow on the Orcon server.
    >>
    >>*sigh*......back to Google Groups.

    > Is this one hit, or over a period of days?

    Since it became available....which - admittedly - is just a few days
    (2-3 at time of writing).

    > It could be that Orcon
    > samples posts of idle groups give browsers an idea of what's posted
    > there, and will update properly if you start regularly requesting it.

    OK....I'll give it a few more days.

    > Having nothing until someone requests posts is not uncommon. Maybe
    > this is a variation of that?

    Could be....but one of the reasons I gave up on Orcon's server WAY back
    (before newsfeeds.com) was those little DNEWS group download
    messages........only the group never, ever downloaded in anything
    resembling a useful way.

    The new newsserver also seems to suffer this DNEWS
    "problem".....promising to download a group...then bringing in a sample
    of 240-ish (or whatever) posts somehow cobbled together over week,
    months or years....from somewhere....when there should be thousands and
    thousands of posts for the past few weeks alone.

    steve, Apr 16, 2005
  8. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > The Other Guy said the following on 16/04/2005 8:17 a.m.:
    > tly to get them to fix it.
    >

    >> The Other Guy

    > Okay you seem to be doing Craigs job at the moment :cool:
    >
    > Can you estimate when the server will catch up in Nz groups, it is
    > painful to the point of unusable at the moment and has been since day dot.
    >
    > Propergation also appears to be very slow, a message posted on another
    > nz server can take an hour to appear, likewise messages posted on Orcon
    > take ages to propergate to other NZ servers.
    >
    > It appears that unless it improves substantially the old proxy to news
    > groups might have been better. When we tested giga for Craig as news2 it
    > was good, but I suspect that test was being proxied to Giga not being
    > used as a feed as it is now.
    >
    > My email is real and unmunged, it is checked from time to time.

    I have as much access to the Orcon server as everyone else does, and
    haven't seen the configuration, so I really can't give an estimate on
    how long it will take to catch up, if ever.

    I say "if ever", because there is a good chance it may never catch up.
    Seeby mentioned the server was managing 3Mbs^-1 (IIRC), which is more
    than enough to catch up a full text feed. The question is, how many
    binaries are being pulled, and how much 'history' are they trying to obtain?

    The propagation delay is horrible... I have not been obtaining news from
    the Orcon server myself (Except using NNTPScan, just to monitor
    performance), but I have noticed some rather long delays before messages
    get to me.

    The reason for this is most likely that -

    1/ Although Orcon may be using IHAVE between other NZ servers, they all
    have shit newsfeeds and very few are capable of sending upstream reliably.

    2/ They are posting upstream which from memory gets queued in the same
    way as sucking does. If they send using IHAVE using the 'dfeed' feed
    type, they will go upstream much quicker.

    Regarding the nz.* groups, I will run a script to feed these out to the
    real world quicker over the weekend.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 16, 2005
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > To cause a group to be cached, you must _read_ a message (you may have
    > done this already). I done it now in alt.politics, so it should update
    > within the next hour or so. If not, then you'll need to contact Orcon
    > directly to get them to fix it.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    OK....I thought I had read some of the posts that were there.....even if
    only by default when selecting one.....

    Thanks TOG.

    steve, Apr 16, 2005
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh wrote:

    > Is this one hit, or over a period of days? It could be that Orcon
    > samples posts of idle groups give browsers an idea of what's posted
    > there, and will update properly if you start regularly requesting it.
    > Having nothing until someone requests posts is not uncommon. Maybe
    > this is a variation of that?

    Data point:

    As of 11am, Saturday morning, about 90% of the posts currently in
    alt.politics date from mid-2003.

    I guess I first subscribed to it about 48 hours ago.....so we will see
    what happens.

    I'll read and post a bit.

    steve, Apr 16, 2005
  11. The Other Guy said the following on 16/04/2005 11:19 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> The Other Guy said the following on 16/04/2005 8:17 a.m.:
    >> tly to get them to fix it.
    >>

    >>> The Other Guy

    >> Okay you seem to be doing Craigs job at the moment :cool:
    >>
    >> Can you estimate when the server will catch up in Nz groups, it is
    >> painful to the point of unusable at the moment and has been since day
    >> dot.
    >>
    >> Propergation also appears to be very slow, a message posted on another
    >> nz server can take an hour to appear, likewise messages posted on
    >> Orcon take ages to propergate to other NZ servers.
    >>
    >> It appears that unless it improves substantially the old proxy to news
    >> groups might have been better. When we tested giga for Craig as news2
    >> it was good, but I suspect that test was being proxied to Giga not
    >> being used as a feed as it is now.
    >>
    >> My email is real and unmunged, it is checked from time to time.

    > I have as much access to the Orcon server as everyone else does, and
    > haven't seen the configuration, so I really can't give an estimate on
    > how long it will take to catch up, if ever.
    >
    > I say "if ever", because there is a good chance it may never catch up.
    > Seeby mentioned the server was managing 3Mbs^-1 (IIRC), which is more
    > than enough to catch up a full text feed. The question is, how many
    > binaries are being pulled, and how much 'history' are they trying to
    > obtain?
    >
    > The propagation delay is horrible... I have not been obtaining news from
    > the Orcon server myself (Except using NNTPScan, just to monitor
    > performance), but I have noticed some rather long delays before messages
    > get to me.
    >
    > The reason for this is most likely that -
    >
    > 1/ Although Orcon may be using IHAVE between other NZ servers, they all
    > have shit newsfeeds and very few are capable of sending upstream reliably.
    >
    > 2/ They are posting upstream which from memory gets queued in the same
    > way as sucking does. If they send using IHAVE using the 'dfeed' feed
    > type, they will go upstream much quicker.
    >
    > Regarding the nz.* groups, I will run a script to feed these out to the
    > real world quicker over the weekend.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Good stuff, it appear you know your shit with NNTP :cool:

    Seeby Mark and Craig should be retaining you as a consultant !!!

    Collector»NZ, Apr 16, 2005
  12. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:14:07 UTC, R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <425f94e5$>, steve
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh dear....
    >>>
    >>> The new orcon news server (Giganews) is full of ancient posts....and
    >>> newsgroups that are busy on other news servers but damn near
    >>> inactive on this one.
    >>>
    >>> "alt.politics" usually has about 1,000 new posts each day.....yet
    >>> from the Orcon/GigaNews server, it appears there have been only 239
    >>> posts over the past 3 YEARS...........
    >>>
    >>> I follow alt.politics as it often / usually has the very first net
    >>> commentary / source on any new / hot / rising political issue.
    >>>
    >>> But there's pretty much nothing to follow on the Orcon server.
    >>>
    >>> *sigh*......back to Google Groups.

    >> Is this one hit, or over a period of days? It could be that Orcon
    >> samples posts of idle groups give browsers an idea of what's posted
    >> there, and will update properly if you start regularly requesting it.
    >> Having nothing until someone requests posts is not uncommon. Maybe
    >> this is a variation of that?

    > On a new Dnews sucking server setup, newsgroups default to not being
    > sucked and there is nothing in the local Dnews database for the group.
    > Someone has to access the newsgroup, then you have to wait a while
    > for it to suck a copy of it from its upstream servers. This may
    > happen fairly quickly, or it may have to wait for some set period for
    > the next scheduled suck from the upstream servers. So before you get
    > too worried about it, try downloading from all the groups you want on
    > Orcon, then coming back the next day to see if they are now up to date
    > and sucking regularly.

    I've been checking alt.games.diablo2 at least four times a day for three
    days now and the posts (All 10,300 of them) are still from 2003. Lucky I'm
    just downloading headers.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 16, 2005
  13. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Good stuff, it appear you know your shit with NNTP :cool:
    >
    > Seeby Mark and Craig should be retaining you as a consultant !!!

    They must be doing something right, it appears the articles are now
    feeding upstream a *lot* faster than they were previously. In fact, they
    are beating me. They should given I only have a 128k upstream link, but
    I didn't expect to see the issue fixed this weekend.

    Based on a brief comment of Craig's in nz.general this morning
    (<>), it sounds like they have reduced the
    amount of old data they are getting the server to suck, which will
    greatly reduce the time it takes to catch up.

    My groups are all up to date, but they have been since day one. The fact
    I got on the server straight away and cached my groups is possibly the
    reason for that :) I'm interested in knowing if others are still having
    updating issues and any upstream latency.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 16, 2005
  14. steve

    Nova Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Good stuff, it appear you know your shit with NNTP :cool:
    >>
    >> Seeby Mark and Craig should be retaining you as a consultant !!!

    > They must be doing something right, it appears the articles are now
    > feeding upstream a *lot* faster than they were previously. In fact, they
    > are beating me. They should given I only have a 128k upstream link, but
    > I didn't expect to see the issue fixed this weekend.
    >
    > Based on a brief comment of Craig's in nz.general this morning
    > (<>), it sounds like they have reduced the
    > amount of old data they are getting the server to suck, which will
    > greatly reduce the time it takes to catch up.
    >
    > My groups are all up to date, but they have been since day one. The fact
    > I got on the server straight away and cached my groups is possibly the
    > reason for that :) I'm interested in knowing if others are still having
    > updating issues and any upstream latency.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    alt.politics seems to have suddenly caught up, so seems the powers to be
    at orcon spent some time sorting the issues out.

    Nova, Apr 16, 2005
  15. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 04:05:32 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > then coming back the next day to see if they are now up to date and
    > sucking regularly.

    Hehe, you must be talking about nz.general

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 18, 2005
  16. steve

    Mutlley Guest

    steve <> wrote:

    >Oh dear....
    >
    >The new orcon news server (Giganews) is full of ancient posts....and
    >newsgroups that are busy on other news servers but damn near inactive on
    >this one.
    >
    >"alt.politics" usually has about 1,000 new posts each day.....yet from
    >the Orcon/GigaNews server, it appears there have been only 239 posts
    >over the past 3 YEARS...........
    >
    >I follow alt.politics as it often / usually has the very first net
    >commentary / source on any new / hot / rising political issue.
    >
    >But there's pretty much nothing to follow on the Orcon server.
    >
    >*sigh*......back to Google Groups.

    This thing is still crap.

    At the weekend I tried another method of getting articles out of it
    by using a feature called Newzbin files www.newzbin.com. A news
    indexing service. I downloaded the NZB file and imported it into my
    news reader. Teranews and Octanews immediately started downloading
    articles but Orcon "no such file" even thow these files will be on
    Giganews..

    NZB files negates the need to waste buckets of bandwidth downloading
    headers that may not have the item you want.

    Mutlley, May 1, 2005
  17. steve

    steve Guest

    Mutlley wrote:

    > This thing is still crap.

    I'm sorry to hear that.

    For me, the Orcon news server is now working very well.

    Finally....after a year.

    :)

    steve, May 1, 2005
  18. steve

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 10:26:19 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Mutlley wrote:
    >
    >> This thing is still crap.

    > I'm sorry to hear that.
    >
    > For me, the Orcon news server is now working very well.
    >
    > Finally....after a year.
    >
    > :)

    Yeah, it was getting a bit like the Jews waiting for their messiah...

    --

    .... Brendan

    127039 +(5796)- [X]

    <wolf> 1. Save every Free Credit Card Offer you get, Put it in pile A
    <wolf> 2. Save every Free Coupon You get, put that in pile B
    <wolf> 3. Now open the credit card mail from pile A and find the Business
    Reply Mail Envelope.
    <wolf> 4. Take the coupons from pile B and stuff them in the envelope you
    hold
    in your hand.
    <wolf> 5. Drop the stuffed to the brim envelopes in your mail and walk away
    whistling.
    <wolf> I have now received two phone calls from the credit card companies
    telling me that they received a stuffed envelope with coupons rather
    then my application. They informed me that it they are not pleased
    that
    they footed the bill for the crap I sent them. I reply with "It says
    Business Reply Mail" I'm suggesting coupons to you to ensure that
    your
    business is more successful. They promptly hang up on me.
    <wolf> Now, I did this for about a month before it got boring, so I got an
    added idea! I added exactly 33 cents worth of pennies to the
    envelope
    so they paid EXTRA due to the weight. I got a call informing me
    about
    the money, I said it was a mistake and I demanded my change back.
    After
    yelling at the clerk and then to the supervisor they agreed to my
    demands and cut me a check for the money. I hold in my hand at this
    very moment a check from GTE Visa for exactly 33 cents.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 2/05/2005 2:35:59 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 2, 2005
  19. steve

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 10:19:06 +1200, Mutlley wrote:

    > steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Oh dear....
    >>
    >>The new orcon news server (Giganews) is full of ancient posts....and
    >>newsgroups that are busy on other news servers but damn near inactive on
    >>this one.
    >>
    >>"alt.politics" usually has about 1,000 new posts each day.....yet from
    >>the Orcon/GigaNews server, it appears there have been only 239 posts
    >>over the past 3 YEARS...........
    >>
    >>I follow alt.politics as it often / usually has the very first net
    >>commentary / source on any new / hot / rising political issue.
    >>
    >>But there's pretty much nothing to follow on the Orcon server.
    >>
    >>*sigh*......back to Google Groups.
    >>

    > This thing is still crap.
    >
    > At the weekend I tried another method of getting articles out of it
    > by using a feature called Newzbin files www.newzbin.com. A news
    > indexing service. I downloaded the NZB file and imported it into my
    > news reader. Teranews and Octanews immediately started downloading
    > articles but Orcon "no such file" even thow these files will be on
    > Giganews..
    >
    > NZB files negates the need to waste buckets of bandwidth downloading
    > headers that may not have the item you want.

    seems the problems are with the binary groups; the text ones seem ok. The
    two or three I read anyhow.

    --

    .... Brendan

    406373 +(3980)- [X]

    <[TN]FBMachine> i got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all
    the bibles into the fiction section

    Note: All my comments are copyright 2/05/2005 2:35:25 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, May 2, 2005
  20. steve

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 10:19:06 +1200, Mutlley wrote:

    > NZB files negates the need to waste buckets of bandwidth downloading
    > headers that may not have the item you want.

    Why don't you simply set your NG reader to only download, say, the 1000
    most recent headers of a group, and then mark all the rest as being read
    already?

    No problems with ancient posts then.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, May 2, 2005