    I run my own mail server and web server here at home...so the static IP is
    important.

    Thanks.

    steve, Jul 1, 2004

  2. steve

    Mutlley Guest

    steve <> wrote:

    >Orcon's USENET news server has gone from poor to barely usable.
    >
    >Can anyone tell me which ISP with a decent news server will also give me a
    >static IP on Jetstream 256k Surf?
    >
    >I run my own mail server and web server here at home...so the static IP is
    >important.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Not b in NZ you won't find any good news servers. If it's text news
    groups try www.teranews.com it's free or for binaries
    www.octanews.com. it's a pay server.

    Mutlley, Jul 1, 2004

  3. steve

    Chris Guest

    Mutlley <> wrote in

    > steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Orcon's USENET news server has gone from poor to barely usable.
    >>
    >>Can anyone tell me which ISP with a decent news server will also give
    >>me a static IP on Jetstream 256k Surf?
    >>
    >>I run my own mail server and web server here at home...so the static
    >>IP is important.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    > Not b in NZ you won't find any good news servers. If it's text news
    > groups try www.teranews.com it's free or for binaries
    > www.octanews.com. it's a pay server.

    I actually find Teranews a bit flakely at times though it's been OK since
    they worked on it last. Certainly better than Orcon's news server. Orcon
    have told me it was to be upgraded at the end of June, but I haven't
    bothered to see if that happened, but considering the OP comments it
    wouldn't appear to have happened. I assume Teranews still costs $USD3.95
    to sign up for the free server (50MB per day).

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 1, 2004
  4. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > I actually find Teranews a bit flakely at times though it's been OK
    > since they worked on it last. Certainly better than Orcon's news
    > server. Orcon have told me it was to be upgraded at the end of June,
    > but I haven't bothered to see if that happened, but considering the
    > OP comments it wouldn't appear to have happened. I assume Teranews
    > still costs $USD3.95 to sign up for the free server (50MB per day).

    Oh well. There goes the plan to change from Xtra to Orcon. Such a shame, I
    like Orcon for some reason. Probably partly to do with Seeby and that other
    chap (Sorry, forgot your name) who used to field questions in here. I
    thought that was awesome for an ISP, actually caring about what the geek
    community thinks and wants to know. The geek community actually has a lot of
    marketing push, a lot of us get asked regularly who's the best ISP etc.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 2, 2004
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    Mutlley wrote:

    > steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>Orcon's USENET news server has gone from poor to barely usable.
    >>
    >>Can anyone tell me which ISP with a decent news server will also give me a
    >>static IP on Jetstream 256k Surf?
    >>
    >>I run my own mail server and web server here at home...so the static IP is
    >>important.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    > Not b in NZ you won't find any good news servers. If it's text news
    > groups try www.teranews.com it's free or for binaries
    > www.octanews.com. it's a pay server.

    Ta.

    I've signed up with Teranews....but I notice that in the high-circulation
    groups - like alt.politics - they appear to purge posts quickly. For
    example, there are no posts in there older than today.

    alt.politcs probably has 2,000 posts / day....and teranews had 740.

    alt.politics tends to be the first place you'll see all sorts of interesting
    bits and pieces you will not hear about in the mainstream media - if ever.

    steve, Jul 2, 2004
  6. steve

    Collector_NZ Guest

    ~misfit~ said the following on 2/07/2004 11:40:

    > Chris wrote:
    >
    >>I actually find Teranews a bit flakely at times though it's been OK
    >>since they worked on it last. Certainly better than Orcon's news
    >>server. Orcon have told me it was to be upgraded at the end of June,
    >>but I haven't bothered to see if that happened, but considering the
    >>OP comments it wouldn't appear to have happened. I assume Teranews
    >>still costs $USD3.95 to sign up for the free server (50MB per day).

    > Oh well. There goes the plan to change from Xtra to Orcon. Such a shame, I
    > like Orcon for some reason. Probably partly to do with Seeby and that other
    > chap (Sorry, forgot your name) who used to field questions in here. I
    > thought that was awesome for an ISP, actually caring about what the geek
    > community thinks and wants to know. The geek community actually has a lot of
    > marketing push, a lot of us get asked regularly who's the best ISP etc.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Dont dispair yet, Orcon are still upgrading the NNTP service, it just hasna
    back seat while they sort out some other pressing situations. I notice from
    Tracert and other tools that they are making considerable changes to the
    network and that is undoubtedly taking thier attention.

    The other guy was probably Craig Whitmore, and while Orcon may not have much
    presence in the groups, they are about the only ISP where you can communicate
    reliably with senior people directly and get straight answers to your questions.
    No hidden email address for Orcon management they are all thier for the using

    Collector_NZ, Jul 2, 2004
  7. In article <>, no@e-m-
    a-i-l.com says...
    > Mutlley <> wrote in
    >
    > > steve <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Orcon's USENET news server has gone from poor to barely usable.
    > >>
    > >>Can anyone tell me which ISP with a decent news server will also give
    > >>me a static IP on Jetstream 256k Surf?
    > >>
    > >>I run my own mail server and web server here at home...so the static
    > >>IP is important.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks.
    > >>

    > > Not b in NZ you won't find any good news servers. If it's text news
    > > groups try www.teranews.com it's free or for binaries
    > > www.octanews.com. it's a pay server.
    > >

    > I actually find Teranews a bit flakely at times though it's been OK since
    > they worked on it last. Certainly better than Orcon's news server. Orcon
    > have told me it was to be upgraded at the end of June, but I haven't
    > bothered to see if that happened, but considering the OP comments it
    > wouldn't appear to have happened.

    The end of June was...um... 2days ago.

    Why don't you ask them how far they are along with the upgrade

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 2, 2004
  8. steve

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    Collector_NZ <> expelled:

    > The other guy was probably Craig Whitmore, and while Orcon may not
    > have much presence in the groups, they are about the only ISP where
    > you can communicate reliably with senior people directly and get
    > straight answers to your questions. No hidden email address for Orcon
    > management they are all thier for the using

    You can even phone them, ask to speak to Seeby and he will actually take the
    call - try doing that with the senior management of most other ISP's.

    Watch for new/better/cheaper ADSL offerings from Orcon in the very near
    future - I am reliably informed that their wholesale agreement with Telecom
    is going to let them offer some *very* competitive deals shortly.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jul 2, 2004
  9. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Collector_NZ <> expelled:
    >>
    >> The other guy was probably Craig Whitmore, and while Orcon may not
    >> have much presence in the groups, they are about the only ISP where
    >> you can communicate reliably with senior people directly and get
    >> straight answers to your questions. No hidden email address for Orcon
    >> management they are all thier for the using

    > You can even phone them, ask to speak to Seeby and he will actually
    > take the call - try doing that with the senior management of most
    > other ISP's.
    >
    > Watch for new/better/cheaper ADSL offerings from Orcon in the very
    > near future - I am reliably informed that their wholesale agreement
    > with Telecom is going to let them offer some *very* competitive deals
    > shortly.

    Fine. As long as they have a good news server I'll look at them then.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 2, 2004
  10. EMB wrote:
    > You can even phone them, ask to speak to Seeby and he will actually take the
    > call - try doing that with the senior management of most other ISP's.
    >
    > Watch for new/better/cheaper ADSL offerings from Orcon in the very near
    > future - I am reliably informed that their wholesale agreement with Telecom
    > is going to let them offer some *very* competitive deals shortly.

    Unless Orcon is going to be offering 2Mbs^-1 for less than $100 per
    month, I certainly won't be staying with them much longer. Wireless is
    faster (upstream), and given my experience being stuck with ADSL at home
    and work (And endless hours on the phone to Telecom and their
    contractors), possibly more reliable.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 2, 2004
  11. steve

    steve Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > EMB wrote:
    >> You can even phone them, ask to speak to Seeby and he will actually take
    >> the call - try doing that with the senior management of most other ISP's.
    >>
    >> Watch for new/better/cheaper ADSL offerings from Orcon in the very near
    >> future - I am reliably informed that their wholesale agreement with
    >> Telecom is going to let them offer some *very* competitive deals shortly.

    > Unless Orcon is going to be offering 2Mbs^-1 for less than $100 per
    > month, I certainly won't be staying with them much longer. Wireless is
    > faster (upstream), and given my experience being stuck with ADSL at home
    > and work (And endless hours on the phone to Telecom and their
    > contractors), possibly more reliable.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    ADSL here (Manawatu region) has been very reliable the past 3 months.

    Didn't use it before that.

    steve, Jul 2, 2004
  12. steve

    steve Guest

    Alpine Dragon wrote:

    > In my experience news.individual.net server has generally been quite good;
    > Reasonable speed, and article lists are reasonably complete. However it
    > may
    > take up to week to get signed on and the retention is around 30 days. But
    > at least I can say that it beats Orcon's News server (which is seemingly
    > is on it's last legs) hands down.

    Thanks. I signed up with Teranews....It seems to work well.

    steve, Jul 2, 2004
  13. "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Orcon's USENET news server has gone from poor to barely usable.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me which ISP with a decent news server will also give me a
    > static IP on Jetstream 256k Surf?
    >
    > I run my own mail server and web server here at home...so the static IP is
    > important.

    Instead of letting go of Orcon completely, one option is to go to
    news.individual.net and sign up for an account. Although earlier this year,
    I mentioned that Orcon's news service was "adequate although rough around
    the edges", I have to confess the server has indeed become unusable that
    I've finally bailed and signed up with an account at news.individual.net.

    Alpine Dragon, Jul 2, 2004
  14. steve

    Chris Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <>,
    > no@e-m- a-i-l.com says...
    >> Mutlley <> wrote in

    >> > Not b in NZ you won't find any good news servers. If it's text
    >> > news groups try www.teranews.com it's free or for binaries
    >> > www.octanews.com. it's a pay server.
    >> >

    >> I actually find Teranews a bit flakely at times though it's been OK
    >> since they worked on it last. Certainly better than Orcon's news
    >> server. Orcon have told me it was to be upgraded at the end of June,
    >> but I haven't bothered to see if that happened, but considering the
    >> OP comments it wouldn't appear to have happened.

    > The end of June was...um... 2days ago.
    >
    > Why don't you ask them how far they are along with the upgrade

    As I said, I couldn't be bothered, Teranews is working OK.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 3, 2004
  15. Re: Orcon News Server

    Chris <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > no@e-m- a-i-l.com says...
    > >> Mutlley <> wrote in

    > >> I actually find Teranews a bit flakely at times though it's been OK
    > >> since they worked on it last. Certainly better than Orcon's news
    > >> server. Orcon have told me it was to be upgraded at the end of June,
    > >> but I haven't bothered to see if that happened, but considering the
    > >> OP comments it wouldn't appear to have happened.

    > > The end of June was...um... 2days ago.
    > >
    > > Why don't you ask them how far they are along with the upgrade

    The news server changover should be happening in the next week or so -
    it has been delayed a few days.

    It would be more economical to run if we had more than 25 users that
    use the news server out of 30,000 or so

    :)

    Cheers
    Seeby
    Orcon Internet

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Jul 4, 2004
  16. steve

    Arthur Guest

    Re: Orcon News Server

    > > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > no@e-m- a-i-l.com says...

    > > > The end of June was...um... 2days ago.
    > > >
    > > > Why don't you ask them how far they are along with the upgrade
    > > >

    > The news server changover should be happening in the next week or so -
    > it has been delayed a few days.
    >
    > It would be more economical to run if we had more than 25 users that
    > use the news server out of 30,000 or so
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Seeby
    > Orcon Internet

    You would have considerable increase in users if the server was better,
    judging by the comments on these groups which are usually along the lines of
    yeah "I would switch to Orcon instantly if it has a good NNTP service."

    Arthur, Jul 4, 2004
  17. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Orcon News Server

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
    > Chris <> wrote in message
    >>> Why don't you ask them how far they are along with the upgrade
    >>>

    > The news server changover should be happening in the next week or so -
    > it has been delayed a few days.
    >
    > It would be more economical to run if we had more than 25 users that
    > use the news server out of 30,000 or so
    >
    > :)

    Hi Seeby, good to see you posting here again.

    I currently use Xtra for my ISP and Orcon for my email. If you can post back
    when your news server is all up and running them you'll be able to make that
    26 users once I give Xtra the boot. I think you'll find that if you provide
    a good news server (and advertise the fact, even if it's just here) then
    they will come. <g>. While Xtra have a (reasonably) good news server they
    don't 'support' it. I've had to set up friends machines as Xtra's party line
    is the helpdesk will tell you the server is at news.xtra.co.nz but that's
    it. No help in setting up clients or anything. They just say they don't
    support news groups, they don't mention them in their advertising, webpage
    or contracts (As far as I can ascertain). With that sort of attitude it's no
    surprise that usenet isn't more popular in NZ. "Joe Average" only gets to
    hear about usenet if someone he knows uses it.

    Actually, just a thought, is there any way I can peruse a list of what
    groups you carry? I'd like to be sure that you have 'my' groups before I
    boot Xtra. They've been good over the years and actually started carrying
    groups that I've requested that they didn't carry before.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2004
  18. steve

    Brendan Guest

    Re: Orcon News Server

    On 3 Jul 2004 16:45:41 -0700, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

    > The news server changover should be happening in the next week or so -
    > it has been delayed a few days.
    >
    > It would be more economical to run if we had more than 25 users that
    > use the news server out of 30,000 or so
    >
    > :)

    What you need to do is put a little blurb page up when people join, listing
    some of the lesser known but great services like Usenet, IRC, MUDs:

    "With the Usenet system, you can chat to thousands of people or just a
    dozen all around the world on subjects from A to Z. Need help with your new
    software package ? Looking for a part for your vintage car ? Thinking of a
    holiday in the UK or elsewhere ? Talking politics ? It's all there - just
    read it or join in with the discussion. Simply follow this link to set up
    your computer to access it. Free."

    --

    .... Brendan

    "There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." -- J. S. Bach

    Note: All comments are copyright 4/07/2004 12:26:02 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 4, 2004
  19. Re: Orcon News Server

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Actually, just a thought, is there any way I can peruse a list of what
    > groups you carry? I'd like to be sure that you have 'my' groups before I
    > boot Xtra. They've been good over the years and actually started carrying
    > groups that I've requested that they didn't carry before.

    At one time I considered creating a site purely for tracking the
    retention of news on NZ ISP servers. It is still an idea I have in the
    back of my mind, but there are just more urgent tasks. If Orcon would
    like to sponsor my Internet connection and hosting, I'd be keen to set
    up a site to do just that. I think a news feed adds considerable value
    to an ISP, and having a site to let everyone know which ISP offers the
    best news would be an incentive to do better. If only it were practical
    to bring in a full news feed :(

    Here is the list of groups from the Orcon server as of a few minutes ago
    (Approx 1.4MB).

    http://latent.orcon.net.nz/Orcon_news_20040704.txt

    The list is unsorted, as it comes from the news server, minus the
    article counts (to reduce the file size). If you need any additional
    information from the server, let me know and I'll get it for you if
    someone else doesn't do it first.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 4, 2004
  20. steve

    Divine Guest

    Re: Orcon News Server

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:45:41 -0700, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet
    wrote:

    > It would be more economical to run if we had more than 25 users that use
    > the news server out of 30,000 or so

    What are youse doing to promote its use?

    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

    Divine, Jul 4, 2004