    john snmith Guest

    the server is a littel slow it seems but i guess ionce it catches up with
    itself it will appear to work alot better

    john snmith, Apr 13, 2005

  2. The server has been up and running for 1/2 a day now, and has cached a
    couple of gigs of articles already - so yes - once it has cached all the
    comon groups more headers will be instantly accessible.

    I am confused by your comment 'the server is a little slow' - the server is
    very lightly loaded and should be performing at top speed.

    Is what you meant: 'a full list of articles appearing in a newsgroup can be
    a little slow'? because that would make more sense...

    Cheers
    Seeby

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
    > The server has been up and running for 1/2 a day now, and has cached a
    > couple of gigs of articles already - so yes - once it has cached all the
    > comon groups more headers will be instantly accessible.
    >
    > I am confused by your comment 'the server is a little slow' - the server is
    > very lightly loaded and should be performing at top speed.
    >
    > Is what you meant: 'a full list of articles appearing in a newsgroup can be
    > a little slow'? because that would make more sense...

    If you haven't already, set -

    suck_batchn 1000
    suck_batchsize 1000000
    suck_requeue true

    This will limit each group update to 1,000 messages (Actually 1001 due
    to a counting error in DNews), or 1,000,000, whichever comes first, and
    re-add the group to the end of the queue.

    The default DNews configuration limits each suck to 101 messages from a
    group, and won't continue until the next 'update_at'.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 13, 2005
  4. The Other Guy wrote:
    > This will limit each group update to 1,000 messages (Actually 1001 due
    > to a counting error in DNews), or 1,000,000, whichever comes first, and

    ^ Sorry, 1,000,000 bytes.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 13, 2005
  5. john snmith

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:46:34 +1200, "Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet"
    <> wrote:

    >The server has been up and running for 1/2 a day now, and has cached a
    >couple of gigs of articles already - so yes - once it has cached all the
    >comon groups more headers will be instantly accessible.
    >
    >I am confused by your comment 'the server is a little slow' - the server is
    >very lightly loaded and should be performing at top speed.
    >
    >Is what you meant: 'a full list of articles appearing in a newsgroup can be
    >a little slow'? because that would make more sense...
    >
    >Cheers
    >Seeby
    >
    >"john snmith" <> wrote in message
    >> the server is a littel slow it seems but i guess ionce it catches up with
    >> itself it will appear to work alot better

    I'm confused by the OP's appalling grammar and spelling.

    DoggNZ, Apr 13, 2005
  6. john snmith

    Gordy Guest

    I am very pleased with Orcon news server tonight.

    Faster than I have seen on any other news server I have used recently.

    103k newsgroups refreshed in 105 seconds.

    Gordy, Apr 13, 2005
  7. john snmith

    Mutlley Guest

    Gordy <> wrote:

    >I am very pleased with Orcon news server tonight.
    >
    >Faster than I have seen on any other news server I have used recently.
    >
    >103k newsgroups refreshed in 105 seconds.

    I did a comparison with other two news servers I access with a
    program called Binary News Reaper. I reloaded the news group list
    and then the headers. While the groups on all three servers were
    much the same but the header count on the new Orcon one left a lot to
    be desired..

    Mutlley, Apr 13, 2005
  8. Mutlley wrote:
    >>I am very pleased with Orcon news server tonight.
    >>Faster than I have seen on any other news server I have used recently.
    >>103k newsgroups refreshed in 105 seconds.

    > I did a comparison with other two news servers I access with a
    > program called Binary News Reaper. I reloaded the news group list
    > and then the headers. While the groups on all three servers were
    > much the same but the header count on the new Orcon one left a lot to
    > be desired..

    It is running Dnews, the headers wont be there until the groups get pulled.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 13, 2005
  9. john snmith

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Yeah but how long is it expected to take to pull the groups. Over 12
    hours since the server went online and a lot of the groups are still
    only showing less than 100 articles when they should have thousands.

    Steven Ellis, Apr 13, 2005
  10. Steven Ellis wrote:
    > Yeah but how long is it expected to take to pull the groups. Over 12
    > hours since the server went online and a lot of the groups are still
    > only showing less than 100 articles when they should have thousands.

    seeing as it will still be grabbing the initial pull from all groups
    that all users view, it may take a few days.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 14, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Steven Ellis wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah but how long is it expected to take to pull the groups. Over 12
    >> hours since the server went online and a lot of the groups are still
    >> only showing less than 100 articles when they should have thousands.

    > seeing as it will still be grabbing the initial pull from all groups
    > that all users view, it may take a few days.

    oh yeah, and try not to snip so much, it makes it hard for those that
    don't thread messages(myself) to know who you are replying to.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 14, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 14/04/2005 11:13 a.m.:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Steven Ellis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yeah but how long is it expected to take to pull the groups. Over 12
    >>> hours since the server went online and a lot of the groups are still
    >>> only showing less than 100 articles when they should have thousands.

    >> seeing as it will still be grabbing the initial pull from all groups
    >> that all users view, it may take a few days.

    > oh yeah, and try not to snip so much, it makes it hard for those that
    > don't thread messages(myself) to know who you are replying to.

    It is interesting to pull a groups list and see which has content and
    which dont. It is enlightening to see that someone on Orcon likes
    Plumpers, and some others have interests I wont share here.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 14, 2005
  13. john snmith

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > Steven Ellis wrote:
    > >
    > >> Yeah but how long is it expected to take to pull the groups. Over

    12
    > >> hours since the server went online and a lot of the groups are

    still
    > >> only showing less than 100 articles when they should have

    thousands.

    > > seeing as it will still be grabbing the initial pull from all

    groups
    > > that all users view, it may take a few days.

    > oh yeah, and try not to snip so much, it makes it hard for those that

    > don't thread messages(myself) to know who you are replying to.

    Ah now found a way to reply correctly using google groups. Don't
    usually clip all the previous messages, but thats their default.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Apr 14, 2005
  14. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > It is interesting to pull a groups list and see which has content and
    > which dont. It is enlightening to see that someone on Orcon likes
    > Plumpers, and some others have interests I wont share here.

    Aww please do.

    The articles may be cross-posts from other groups (spam in particular).

    Of course if the counters are constantly going up, they are probably
    cached and someone is reading them.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 14, 2005
  15. I can do that on the server, but I've never seen that feature in Outlook
    Express or Agent - which newsreader are you using and how are you
    acomplishing the feat of being able to see how many groups have content?

    Curious...

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Apr 14, 2005
  16. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet said the following on 14/04/2005 12:02
    p.m.:
    > I can do that on the server, but I've never seen that feature in Outlook
    > Express or Agent - which newsreader are you using and how are you
    > acomplishing the feat of being able to see how many groups have content?
    >
    > Curious...
    >

    >>It is interesting to pull a groups list and see which has content and
    >>which dont. It is enlightening to see that someone on Orcon likes
    >>Plumpers, and some others have interests I wont share here.

    Quite a few NNTP progs have this, particularly those orientated to
    binaries :cool:

    It is also simple to write a bit of code to get the group list including
    total post numbers. Very handy for culling out groups which exist but
    are faux spelling etc.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 14, 2005
  17. The Other Guy said the following on 14/04/2005 11:45 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> It is interesting to pull a groups list and see which has content and
    >> which dont. It is enlightening to see that someone on Orcon likes
    >> Plumpers, and some others have interests I wont share here.

    > Aww please do.
    >
    > The articles may be cross-posts from other groups (spam in particular).
    >
    > Of course if the counters are constantly going up, they are probably
    > cached and someone is reading them.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Too right they are being read :cool:

    Once I got past the auth problem I grabbed a group list with total
    posts, and later (like this am) compared it with a new copy and it makes
    for a laugh.

    Why when I reply to your post do i also get a to address
    in the header?

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 14, 2005
  18. john snmith

    Mutlley Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >Mutlley wrote:
    >>>I am very pleased with Orcon news server tonight.
    >>>Faster than I have seen on any other news server I have used recently.
    >>>103k newsgroups refreshed in 105 seconds.

    >> I did a comparison with other two news servers I access with a
    >> program called Binary News Reaper. I reloaded the news group list
    >> and then the headers. While the groups on all three servers were
    >> much the same but the header count on the new Orcon one left a lot to
    >> be desired..

    >It is running Dnews, the headers wont be there until the groups get pulled.

    How does one "pull" the group??

    Mutlley, Apr 14, 2005
  19. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > The Other Guy said the following on 14/04/2005 11:45 a.m.:
    >
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> It is interesting to pull a groups list and see which has content and
    >>> which dont. It is enlightening to see that someone on Orcon likes
    >>> Plumpers, and some others have interests I wont share here.

    >> Aww please do.
    >>
    >> The articles may be cross-posts from other groups (spam in particular).
    >>
    >> Of course if the counters are constantly going up, they are probably
    >> cached and someone is reading them.
    >>
    >> The Other Guy

    > Too right they are being read :cool:
    >
    > Once I got past the auth problem I grabbed a group list with total
    > posts, and later (like this am) compared it with a new copy and it makes
    > for a laugh.
    >
    > Why when I reply to your post do i also get a to address
    > in the header?

    That would be because the free provider I used to use decided to start
    charging for the service, and I lost my free redirection. Corrected now.

    I have my own socket code I wrote that allows me to do stuff like pull
    group lists, but I'm not really motivated to see what other users are
    reading for myself. If you want to supply a summary though, I'd be
    interested :)

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 14, 2005
  20. Mutlley wrote:

    >>>I did a comparison with other two news servers I access with a
    >>>program called Binary News Reaper. I reloaded the news group list
    >>>and then the headers. While the groups on all three servers were
    >>>much the same but the header count on the new Orcon one left a lot to
    >>>be desired..

    >>It is running Dnews, the headers wont be there until the groups get pulled.

    > How does one "pull" the group??

    subscribe to it, and it will be pulled, it will only grab "x" number of
    posts and then re-add the group to the bottom of the queue to be pulled
    again later. all groups that get subscribed to will be in that list, and
    it cycles them, and I presume gives priority to higher traffic
    groups(it'd make sense to but Im not sure).

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 14, 2005