Orcon News Server Change

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. - Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -

    For the past few months Orcon has been outsourcing our Internet News service
    to newsfeeds.com.
    However, their service has been less than satisfactory, and as a result of
    customer feedback we decided to research alternate providers.

    A month or so ago we selected Giganews as our preferred provider (Giganews
    is the world's largest newsfeed provider, and stores more articles than any
    other provider). Although the Giganews service will cost us considerably
    more, if they are as good as we hope they are, the additonal cost will be
    worth it.

    Currently Orcon customers can access the new Giganews service at
    news2.orcon.net.nz (news.orcon.net.nz still points to newsfeeds.com).

    In the next day or so we will be pointing news.orcon.net.nz toward Giganews,
    so customers using the newfeed service will need to remember to remove and
    re-add the server to ensure that their newsreaders don't get confused by
    different article IDs etc.

    Warm Regards
    Seeby Woodhouse

    CEO Orcon Internet

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Apr 11, 2005

  2. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Mike_P Guest

    "Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet" <> wrote in message
    >- Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -
    >
    > For the past few months Orcon has been outsourcing our Internet News
    > service to newsfeeds.com.
    > However, their service has been less than satisfactory, and as a result of
    > customer feedback we decided to research alternate providers.
    >
    > A month or so ago we selected Giganews as our preferred provider (Giganews
    > is the world's largest newsfeed provider, and stores more articles than
    > any other provider). Although the Giganews service will cost us
    > considerably more, if they are as good as we hope they are, the additonal
    > cost will be worth it.
    >
    > Currently Orcon customers can access the new Giganews service at
    > news2.orcon.net.nz (news.orcon.net.nz still points to newsfeeds.com).
    >
    > In the next day or so we will be pointing news.orcon.net.nz toward
    > Giganews, so customers using the newfeed service will need to remember to
    > remove and re-add the server to ensure that their newsreaders don't get
    > confused by different article IDs etc.
    >
    > Warm Regards
    > Seeby Woodhouse
    >
    > CEO Orcon Internet

    Thanks Seeby... how about the bandwidth to use it too !

    Mike_P

    Mike_P, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
    > - Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -
    >
    > For the past few months Orcon has been outsourcing our Internet News
    > service to newsfeeds.com.
    > However, their service has been less than satisfactory, and as a
    > result of customer feedback we decided to research alternate
    > providers.
    >
    > A month or so ago we selected Giganews as our preferred provider
    > (Giganews is the world's largest newsfeed provider, and stores more
    > articles than any other provider). Although the Giganews service will
    > cost us considerably more, if they are as good as we hope they are,
    > the additonal cost will be worth it.
    >
    > Currently Orcon customers can access the new Giganews service at
    > news2.orcon.net.nz (news.orcon.net.nz still points to newsfeeds.com).
    >
    > In the next day or so we will be pointing news.orcon.net.nz toward
    > Giganews, so customers using the newfeed service will need to
    > remember to remove and re-add the server to ensure that their
    > newsreaders don't get confused by different article IDs etc.

    Thanks Seeby, I'll give it a try. I gave up on newsfeeds.com a while ago.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 11, 2005
  4. On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:52:28 +1200, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

    > - Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -

    Thank you Seeby and Orcon for organising this.

    I'll hold off the planned waka jumping to Inspire.

    Pacific Dragon, Apr 11, 2005
  5. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet said the following on 11/04/2005 6:52 p.m.:
    > - Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -
    >
    > For the past few months Orcon has been outsourcing our Internet News service
    > to newsfeeds.com.
    > However, their service has been less than satisfactory, and as a result of
    > customer feedback we decided to research alternate providers.
    >
    > A month or so ago we selected Giganews as our preferred provider (Giganews
    > is the world's largest newsfeed provider, and stores more articles than any
    > other provider). Although the Giganews service will cost us considerably
    > more, if they are as good as we hope they are, the additonal cost will be
    > worth it.
    >
    > Currently Orcon customers can access the new Giganews service at
    > news2.orcon.net.nz (news.orcon.net.nz still points to newsfeeds.com).
    >
    > In the next day or so we will be pointing news.orcon.net.nz toward Giganews,
    > so customers using the newfeed service will need to remember to remove and
    > re-add the server to ensure that their newsreaders don't get confused by
    > different article IDs etc.
    >
    > Warm Regards
    > Seeby Woodhouse
    >
    > CEO Orcon Internet

    Well both News and News2 are now as slow as a wet week I am hoping this
    is a result of the large number of people downloading headers from news2.

    Collector»NZ, Apr 11, 2005
  6. On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:53:51 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Well both News and News2 are now as slow as a wet week I am hoping this
    > is a result of the large number of people downloading headers from news2.

    For me, the speed of Giganews (news2.orcon.net.nz) *appears* to be
    reasonable. Headers download at around 20-30k, but bear in mind that I am
    using the Telecom Jetstream 256k service and not Orcon UBS. I'm not sure
    if you are on UBS, but apparently Orcon are rate limiting non 80/http ports
    which includes nntp.

    Pacific Dragon, Apr 11, 2005
  7. Pacific Dragon said the following on 11/04/2005 9:46 p.m.:
    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:53:51 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >>Well both News and News2 are now as slow as a wet week I am hoping this
    >>is a result of the large number of people downloading headers from news2.

    > For me, the speed of Giganews (news2.orcon.net.nz) *appears* to be
    > reasonable. Headers download at around 20-30k, but bear in mind that I am
    > using the Telecom Jetstream 256k service and not Orcon UBS. I'm not sure
    > if you are on UBS, but apparently Orcon are rate limiting non 80/http ports
    > which includes nntp.

    Rate limiting has not been the case for me with Orcon, I usually get the
    max my dial up line can support :cool:

    Collector»NZ, Apr 11, 2005
  8. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Mutlley Guest

    Pacific Dragon <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:53:51 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >> Well both News and News2 are now as slow as a wet week I am hoping this
    >> is a result of the large number of people downloading headers from news2.

    >For me, the speed of Giganews (news2.orcon.net.nz) *appears* to be
    >reasonable. Headers download at around 20-30k, but bear in mind that I am
    >using the Telecom Jetstream 256k service and not Orcon UBS. I'm not sure
    >if you are on UBS, but apparently Orcon are rate limiting non 80/http ports
    >which includes nntp.

    Tried news2 last nite but could not download headers. It just
    connected and gave a message "Help 100" OK will wait until it comes
    on line with news.orcon.net.nz

    Mutlley, Apr 11, 2005
  9. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Pacific Dragon <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:53:51 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well both News and News2 are now as slow as a wet week I am hoping this
    >>>is a result of the large number of people downloading headers from news2.

    >>For me, the speed of Giganews (news2.orcon.net.nz) *appears* to be
    >>reasonable. Headers download at around 20-30k, but bear in mind that I am
    >>using the Telecom Jetstream 256k service and not Orcon UBS. I'm not sure
    >>if you are on UBS, but apparently Orcon are rate limiting non 80/http ports
    >>which includes nntp.

    > Tried news2 last nite but could not download headers. It just
    > connected and gave a message "Help 100" OK will wait until it comes
    > on line with news.orcon.net.nz

    Worked fine yesterday afternoon on UBS - I was able to download the
    newsgroup list at a screaming 2.5kbs :-( :-( :-( however in normal use
    with text newsgroups only, it seems fast enough.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 11, 2005
  10. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Well I have finally managed to sync headers on a group, but at an
    average speed of 5K rather than the 25-30K I should be getting on 256K
    UBS.

    Downloading with multiple (4) connections means I've managed to break
    15K, but that isn't constant.

    So do you still have have internation peering issues then as this is
    shocking.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Apr 12, 2005
  11. Hmm

    I can definitely tell the difference here from the Orcon LAN - although the
    difference here might not traslate into that much of a difference on say
    dialup.

    Both news providers carry 100,000+ newsgroups.
    - On the new server it took me around 1 minute to download the list
    - On the old server it took me around 5 mins

    For nz.comp
    - The new server has over 100,000 posts going back several years
    - Newsfeeds.com has around 8,000

    Downloading the last 300 articles in NZ.comp
    - the new server took around 2 mins
    - the old server took around 10 mins

    So I can definitely notice a difference - but I really would like it to be
    perfect - so if it's not working properly for you once the change has been
    completed then let me know. We should be making news.orcon.net.nz the new
    server today at some stage - so don't forget to add and remove the server
    from your news readers

    Cheers
    Seeby

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Apr 12, 2005
  12. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Well here is a good one for you.

    Connect to news2.orcon.net.nz via port 119 - Average 5K
    Connect to news2.orcon.net.nz via port 80 - Average 25K

    So you aren't port throttling ports other than 80? I think not.

    If I use port 80 to connect the bottleneck becomes the 256K UBS rather
    than any strange smarts in the network.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Apr 12, 2005
  13. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    steve Guest

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

    > A month or so ago we selected Giganews as our preferred provider (Giganews
    > is the world's largest newsfeed provider, and stores more articles than any
    > other provider). Although the Giganews service will cost us considerably
    > more, if they are as good as we hope they are, the additonal cost will be
    > worth it.

    > Warm Regards
    > Seeby Woodhouse
    > CEO Orcon Internet

    Glad to hear it!

    Let's hope things improve......It's been a looong wait.

    steve, Apr 12, 2005
  14. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:
    > Well here is a good one for you.
    >
    > Connect to news2.orcon.net.nz via port 119 - Average 5K
    > Connect to news2.orcon.net.nz via port 80 - Average 25K
    >
    > So you aren't port throttling ports other than 80? I think not.
    >

    > If I use port 80 to connect the bottleneck becomes the 256K UBS rather
    > than any strange smarts in the network.

    Hey, the difference is *really* noticeable, even without measuring it,
    reading news is much more responsive. Using port 119, news is really slow.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 12, 2005
  15. >
    > So I can definitely notice a difference - but I really would like it to be
    > perfect - so if it's not working properly for you once the change has been
    > completed then let me know. We should be making news.orcon.net.nz the new
    > server today at some stage - so don't forget to add and remove the server
    > from your news readers

    The DNS for the move over from newsfeeds->giganews has been done now so
    please remove and then add back in news.orcon.net.nz to your usenet reader
    (so articule ID's etc are correct). (your machine may of cached the old IP
    address also)

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore
    Systems Administrator
    Orcon Internet

    Craig Whitmore, Apr 12, 2005
  16. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    steve Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>So I can definitely notice a difference - but I really would like it to be
    >>perfect - so if it's not working properly for you once the change has been
    >>completed then let me know. We should be making news.orcon.net.nz the new
    >>server today at some stage - so don't forget to add and remove the server
    >>from your news readers
    >>

    > The DNS for the move over from newsfeeds->giganews has been done now so
    > please remove and then add back in news.orcon.net.nz to your usenet reader
    > (so articule ID's etc are correct). (your machine may of cached the old IP
    > address also)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig Whitmore
    > Systems Administrator
    > Orcon Internet

    OK......news2.orcon.net.nz is now asking for a userid and password.....
    16:53

    news.orcon.lnet.nz still seems to be posting via newsfeeds.com......

    steve, Apr 12, 2005
  17. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Also getting the authentication errors since you switched the dns over

    Steven Ellis, Apr 12, 2005
  18. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >> So I can definitely notice a difference - but I really would like it
    >> to be perfect - so if it's not working properly for you once the
    >> change has been completed then let me know. We should be making
    >> news.orcon.net.nz the new server today at some stage - so don't
    >> forget to add and remove the server from your news readers
    >>

    > The DNS for the move over from newsfeeds->giganews has been done now
    > so please remove and then add back in news.orcon.net.nz to your
    > usenet reader (so articule ID's etc are correct). (your machine may
    > of cached the old IP address also)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig Whitmore
    > Systems Administrator
    > Orcon Internet

    Did that Craig, it took 20 minutes or so to download groups (100,000+, Orcon
    UBS) at an average rate of 3.9kb/s and then when I went to download headers
    for nz.comp it said "Authentication error".

    What next? That's half an hour of my life I'm never going to get back.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 12, 2005
  19. Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

    Mike_P Guest

    "Mike_P" <> wrote in message

    > "Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >>- Attention all Orcon customers who use our usenet news service -
    >>
    >> For the past few months Orcon has been outsourcing our Internet News
    >> service to newsfeeds.com.
    >> However, their service has been less than satisfactory, and as a result
    >> of customer feedback we decided to research alternate providers.
    >>
    >> A month or so ago we selected Giganews as our preferred provider
    >> (Giganews is the world's largest newsfeed provider, and stores more
    >> articles than any other provider). Although the Giganews service will
    >> cost us considerably more, if they are as good as we hope they are, the
    >> additonal cost will be worth it.
    >>
    >> Currently Orcon customers can access the new Giganews service at
    >> news2.orcon.net.nz (news.orcon.net.nz still points to newsfeeds.com).
    >>
    >> In the next day or so we will be pointing news.orcon.net.nz toward
    >> Giganews, so customers using the newfeed service will need to remember to
    >> remove and re-add the server to ensure that their newsreaders don't get
    >> confused by different article IDs etc.
    >>
    >> Warm Regards
    >> Seeby Woodhouse
    >>
    >> CEO Orcon Internet
    >>

    > Thanks Seeby... how about the bandwidth to use it too !
    >
    > Mike_P

    OMFG !, thank you, thank you, thank you... port 119 now running at full
    speed. !

    Now, how about the rest of those throttled ports... ???

    Mike_P, Apr 12, 2005
  20. ~misfit~ said the following on 12/04/2005 5:54 p.m.:
    > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >
    >>>So I can definitely notice a difference - but I really would like it
    >>>to be perfect - so if it's not working properly for you once the
    >>>change has been completed then let me know. We should be making
    >>>news.orcon.net.nz the new server today at some stage - so don't
    >>>forget to add and remove the server from your news readers
    >>>

    >>The DNS for the move over from newsfeeds->giganews has been done now
    >>so please remove and then add back in news.orcon.net.nz to your
    >>usenet reader (so articule ID's etc are correct). (your machine may
    >>of cached the old IP address also)
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Craig Whitmore
    >>Systems Administrator
    >>Orcon Internet

    > Did that Craig, it took 20 minutes or so to download groups (100,000+, Orcon
    > UBS) at an average rate of 3.9kb/s and then when I went to download headers
    > for nz.comp it said "Authentication error".
    >
    > What next? That's half an hour of my life I'm never going to get back.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Yep its officially a SNAFU again.

    It appears that a few IP blocks (Dial up) seem to have been missed out.

    Collector»NZ, Apr 12, 2005