Orcon news... getting messages out quicker

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The Other Guy, Apr 16, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    For those of you experiencing issues with the slow upstream speed of
    Orcons new server, I have put a temporary measure in place to feed nz.*
    groups out quicker.

    Originally I had planned on only feeding messages posted directly to the
    Orcon server, but I have decided to expand this to include any message
    that has not come via Giganews. This helps ensure other NZ servers that
    are exchanging messages with Orcon via IHAVE, and individuals who use
    their own servers to post to news.orcon.net.nz, have a reliable way to
    get their nz.* posts out.

    If anyone particularly requires other groups to be sent out to the big
    wide world quicker, please post them here and I will consider adding
    them to the list.

    Note, this will run all weekend, and time permitting I will either port
    my code over to FreeBSD to run 24/7, or I'll get around to fixing my own
    news server to do it. My spool on my own server was recently corrupted
    and it isn't a high priority for me to fix it.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 16, 2005

  2. The Other Guy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > For those of you experiencing issues with the slow upstream speed of
    > Orcons new server, I have put a temporary measure in place to feed nz.*
    > groups out quicker.

    If anyone is concerned about how I may be doing this...

    The messages are being sent out via IHAVE to a remote server I help
    administer. As such, no header changes will result from doing this as
    occurs with posting feeds.

    I am also only feeding articles with a date header containing 'Apr', and
    '2005', to avoid refeeding the old articles that are presently being fed
    in to the Orcon server.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 16, 2005