Orcon news again...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?

    I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or so.
    Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to expired
    articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download for nz.comp,
    most all being duplicates of expired articles.

    I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a difficult
    service to run.

    Anyone else experiencing the same?
     
    -=rjh=-, Oct 7, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:59:53 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?
    >
    > I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or so.
    > Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to expired
    > articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download for nz.comp,
    > most all being duplicates of expired articles.
    >
    > I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a difficult
    > service to run.
    >
    > Anyone else experiencing the same?


    Nah happening with my newsreader too (40tude dialog). I was about to
    switch to another newsreader...

    Still getting bloody too many connection messages too. Sigh I don't want
    to join Xtra.
     
    wogers nemesis, Oct 7, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. -=rjh=-

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    news:1sslhwcsysy7e.7yavoaycgjbs$...
    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:59:53 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?
    >>
    >> I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or so.
    >> Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to expired
    >> articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download for nz.comp,
    >> most all being duplicates of expired articles.
    >>
    >> I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a difficult
    >> service to run.
    >>
    >> Anyone else experiencing the same?

    >
    > Nah happening with my newsreader too (40tude dialog). I was about to
    > switch to another newsreader...
    >
    > Still getting bloody too many connection messages too. Sigh I don't want
    > to join Xtra.


    Do it..... do it...... do it........

    :)

    Seriously, xtra may be the son of TeleSatan....... but at least usenet
    works.......

    :)
     
    Ryan Jacobs, Oct 7, 2004
    #3
  4. -=rjh=-

    Graymond Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?
    >
    > I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or so.
    > Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to expired
    > articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download for nz.comp,
    > most all being duplicates of expired articles.
    >
    > I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a difficult
    > service to run.
    >
    > Anyone else experiencing the same?

    yes, with Thunderbird, and Orcon, has happened before ..... noted no
    headers from some of my groups when normally there would be daily
    downloads, clicked on each group and down came old and new headers,
    however this could be due to some changes at the server causing a reset.
    Graymond
     
    Graymond, Oct 7, 2004
    #4
  5. -=rjh=-

    bambam Guest

    wogers nemesis <> wrote in
    news:1sslhwcsysy7e.7yavoaycgjbs$:

    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:59:53 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?
    >>
    >> I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or
    >> so. Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to
    >> expired articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download
    >> for nz.comp, most all being duplicates of expired articles.
    >>
    >> I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a
    >> difficult service to run.
    >>
    >> Anyone else experiencing the same?

    >
    > Nah happening with my newsreader too (40tude dialog). I was about
    > to switch to another newsreader...
    >
    > Still getting bloody too many connection messages too. Sigh I
    > don't want to join Xtra.


    If you are not doing binaries why not use Individual.net-

    http://news.individual.net/index.html

    It is bloody good.

    --
    Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow
     
    bambam, Oct 7, 2004
    #5
  6. -=rjh=-

    ChrisOD Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > news:1sslhwcsysy7e.7yavoaycgjbs$...
    >
    >>On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:59:53 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?
    >>>
    >>>I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or so.
    >>>Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to expired
    >>>articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download for nz.comp,
    >>>most all being duplicates of expired articles.
    >>>
    >>>I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a difficult
    >>>service to run.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone else experiencing the same?

    >>
    >>Nah happening with my newsreader too (40tude dialog). I was about to
    >>switch to another newsreader...
    >>
    >>Still getting bloody too many connection messages too. Sigh I don't want
    >>to join Xtra.

    >
    >
    > Do it..... do it...... do it........
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Seriously, xtra may be the son of TeleSatan....... but at least usenet
    > works.......
    >
    > :)
    >
    >

    Nah just install a leafnode server at home and it all just works ;)
     
    ChrisOD, Oct 7, 2004
    #6
  7. -=rjh=-

    Phatputer Guest

    I emailed Orcon about their crap news server.. here is the reply:
    I have contacted our usenet provider and they say they are changing
    things around soon which will improve the service alot. They have no
    ETA as of yet.
     
    Phatputer, Oct 7, 2004
    #7
  8. -=rjh=-

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Phatputer wrote:
    > I emailed Orcon about their crap news server.. here is the reply:
    > I have contacted our usenet provider and they say they are changing
    > things around soon which will improve the service alot. They have no
    > ETA as of yet.
    >

    How long did that reply take ?, i haven't had 1 yet.

    ..... and didn't they just change things around ?
     
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 7, 2004
    #8
  9. -=rjh=-

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:59:53 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?
    >
    > I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or so.
    > Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to expired
    > articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download for nz.comp,
    > most all being duplicates of expired articles.
    >
    > I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a difficult
    > service to run.
    >
    > Anyone else experiencing the same?


    Not that one, but continuous 'timeout' errors with their news and sometimes
    email servers.

    Most of my usenet comes through the two other servers I use. Case of having
    to.

    Orcon is running the risk of claims under the Consumer Gauarntees Act. It
    is resonable to expect usenet access under this act. They seem totally
    uninterested in maintaining their reputation for a quality service.

    I am now evaluating alternative suppliers for ADSL. If they cannot run a
    news server, and have constant problems with their pop/smtp - well, the
    writing is on the wall.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "He who has never hoped can never despair." -- George Bernard Shaw

    Note: All my comments are copyright 7/10/2004 11:16:59 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
     
    Brendan, Oct 7, 2004
    #9
  10. It seems like Fri, 8 Oct 2004 00:32:37 +1300 was when Brendan
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Orcon is running the risk of claims under the Consumer Gauarntees Act. It
    >is resonable to expect usenet access under this act. They seem totally
    >uninterested in maintaining their reputation for a quality service.


    What's Orcon's views about their news server in their T&C?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
     
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 7, 2004
    #10
  11. -=rjh=-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:59:53 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?
    >>
    >> I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or so.
    >> Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to expired
    >> articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download for nz.comp,
    >> most all being duplicates of expired articles.
    >>
    >> I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a
    >> difficult service to run.
    >>
    >> Anyone else experiencing the same?

    >
    > Nah happening with my newsreader too (40tude dialog). I was about to
    > switch to another newsreader...
    >
    > Still getting bloody too many connection messages too. Sigh I don't
    > want to join Xtra.


    Happened using OE to my finace too. Unacceptable.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Oct 7, 2004
    #11
  12. Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > Seriously, xtra may be the son of TeleSatan....... but at least usenet
    > works.......


    never got a Twister message?
    "400 Too Many Connections [xtra.co.nz-readers allows 2 per host/0 per
    feed (0 == nolimit)] (Twister v1.2.0)"
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 7, 2004
    #12
  13. -=rjh=-

    PB Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:29:24 +1300, ChrisOD <>
    wrote:

    >Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >
    >> "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    >> news:1sslhwcsysy7e.7yavoaycgjbs$...
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:59:53 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?
    >>>>
    >>>>I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or so.
    >>>>Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to expired
    >>>>articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download for nz.comp,
    >>>>most all being duplicates of expired articles.
    >>>>
    >>>>I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a difficult
    >>>>service to run.
    >>>>
    >>>>Anyone else experiencing the same?
    >>>
    >>>Nah happening with my newsreader too (40tude dialog). I was about to
    >>>switch to another newsreader...
    >>>
    >>>Still getting bloody too many connection messages too. Sigh I don't want
    >>>to join Xtra.

    >>
    >>
    >> Do it..... do it...... do it........
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >> Seriously, xtra may be the son of TeleSatan....... but at least usenet
    >> works.......
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >>

    >Nah just install a leafnode server at home and it all just works ;)


    Is there a windows version or equivilent
     
    PB, Oct 7, 2004
    #13
  14. In article <4164eb3b$1_4@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Thu, 07 Oct 2004
    20:15:54 +1300, Graymond <> says...
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    > > Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?
    > >
    > > I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or so.
    > > Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to expired
    > > articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download for nz.comp,
    > > most all being duplicates of expired articles.
    > >
    > > I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a difficult
    > > service to run.
    > >
    > > Anyone else experiencing the same?

    > yes, with Thunderbird, and Orcon, has happened before ..... noted no
    > headers from some of my groups when normally there would be daily
    > downloads, clicked on each group and down came old and new headers,
    > however this could be due to some changes at the server causing a reset.
    > Graymond


    I run Thunderbird at work on Paradise news, don't see any such problem,
    so I think Orcon is the problem rather than Thunderbird
     
    Patrick Dunford, Oct 7, 2004
    #14
  15. -=rjh=-

    ChrisOD Guest

    PB wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:29:24 +1300, ChrisOD <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>"wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    >>>news:1sslhwcsysy7e.7yavoaycgjbs$...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:59:53 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Now, is this just me, or Thunderbird, or Orcon?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>I seem to have to reset my news groups every couple of weeks or so.
    >>>>>Today headers that TB had downloaded yesterday point to expired
    >>>>>articles; and there were ~3000 "new" headers to download for nz.comp,
    >>>>>most all being duplicates of expired articles.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>I'm getting *really* sick of this. I didn't think news was a difficult
    >>>>>service to run.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Anyone else experiencing the same?
    >>>>
    >>>>Nah happening with my newsreader too (40tude dialog). I was about to
    >>>>switch to another newsreader...
    >>>>
    >>>>Still getting bloody too many connection messages too. Sigh I don't want
    >>>>to join Xtra.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Do it..... do it...... do it........
    >>>
    >>>:)
    >>>
    >>>Seriously, xtra may be the son of TeleSatan....... but at least usenet
    >>>works.......
    >>>
    >>>:)
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>Nah just install a leafnode server at home and it all just works ;)

    >
    >
    > Is there a windows version or equivilent
    >

    here you go

    Haven't tried it but

    http://www.tglsoft.de/misc/hamster_en.htm
     
    ChrisOD, Oct 7, 2004
    #15
  16. -=rjh=-

    MarkH Guest

    Brendan <> wrote in
    news::

    > Not that one, but continuous 'timeout' errors with their news and
    > sometimes email servers.
    >
    > Most of my Usenet comes through the two other servers I use. Case of
    > having to.
    >
    > Orcon is running the risk of claims under the Consumer Guarantees Act.
    > It is reasonable to expect Usenet access under this act. They seem
    > totally uninterested in maintaining their reputation for a quality
    > service.
    >
    > I am now evaluating alternative suppliers for ADSL. If they cannot run
    > a news server, and have constant problems with their pop/smtp - well,
    > the writing is on the wall.


    I think I'll stick with Orcon for the time being, I don't use their Usenet
    servers or their Pop servers or their SMTP servers, so no problems here.

    Of course for binaries the 'free' Usenet servers provided by ISPs have
    always been worth little more than they cost.


    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    "There are 10 types of people, those that
    understand binary and those that don't"
     
    MarkH, Oct 8, 2004
    #16
  17. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > It seems like Fri, 8 Oct 2004 00:32:37 +1300 was when Brendan
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >
    >>Orcon is running the risk of claims under the Consumer Gauarntees Act. It
    >>is resonable to expect usenet access under this act. They seem totally
    >>uninterested in maintaining their reputation for a quality service.

    >
    >
    > What's Orcon's views about their news server in their T&C?


    I'd be surprised if it even gets a specific mention.

    I've written to Orcon, and rather than just change to other free
    servers, it might help if others did the same, if only to show that
    there is interest in this service. Just a short polite note is all that
    is required.

    I'm sure Orcon are aware that people who use the internet enough to even
    know about usenet are also more likely to be asked by their contacts,
    friends and family who is the best ISP to use :)

    As far as the current news service is concerned, IIRC we actually had
    more reliable service with BBS gateways like Welcom and Megabaud, and
    that was long, long ago.

    I figure Orcon are probably really busy just now, fielding calls from
    people wanting to know why it is going to take so long to get their
    "UBS" upgrade working.


    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
     
    -=rjh=-, Oct 9, 2004
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mutlley
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    484
    Stephen Worthington
    Aug 13, 2004
  2. Brendan

    orcon's news server again!

    Brendan, Feb 13, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    27
    Views:
    770
    wogers nemesis
    Feb 15, 2005
  3. Brendan

    changing from Orcon UBS to Orcon Jetstream

    Brendan, Feb 25, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    563
    Brendan
    Feb 25, 2005
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Orcon UBS 2MBit or stick with Telecom/Orcon 2MBit ADSL?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 29, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    516
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Apr 29, 2005
  5. Nova

    Orcon's Forums (for orcon users)

    Nova, Mar 15, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    839
    Mutley
    Mar 18, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page