    connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network
    problems, or a long period of inactivity." Anyone else experiencing these
    problems?

    horizontal, Sep 24, 2004

  2. horizontal

    Mark. Guest

    In article <41535926$>, "horizontal" <>
    wrote:

    > I use outlook express and I periodically have problems with orcons mail
    > server, currently I am getting "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the
    > connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network
    > problems, or a long period of inactivity." Anyone else experiencing these
    > problems?

    I have problems with their outgoing (SMTP) server every day. Using
    Entourage in OS X, it gets to 'sending mail data' and then just stays
    there. Cancelling, and then sending again usually does the trick on the
    2nd or 3rd attempt.

    I assume it's because the SMTP servers are overloaded or something- i've
    no idea really.

    Mark., Sep 24, 2004

  3. horizontal

    horizontal Guest

    "Mark." <> wrote in message
    > In article <41535926$>, "horizontal" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I use outlook express and I periodically have problems with orcons mail
    > > server, currently I am getting "Your server has unexpectedly terminated

    the
    > > connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network
    > > problems, or a long period of inactivity." Anyone else experiencing

    these
    > > problems?
    > >

    > I have problems with their outgoing (SMTP) server every day. Using
    > Entourage in OS X, it gets to 'sending mail data' and then just stays
    > there. Cancelling, and then sending again usually does the trick on the
    > 2nd or 3rd attempt.
    >
    > I assume it's because the SMTP servers are overloaded or something- i've
    > no idea really.

    Thanks for the feedback, I often have problems with the smtp server also but
    today it is the pop3 server that is not working, I haven't tried the smtp
    server today.

    horizontal, Sep 24, 2004
  4. horizontal

    horizontal Guest

    "horizontal" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark." <> wrote in message
    > > In article <41535926$>, "horizontal" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I use outlook express and I periodically have problems with orcons

    mail
    > > > server, currently I am getting "Your server has unexpectedly

    terminated
    > the
    > > > connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network
    > > > problems, or a long period of inactivity." Anyone else experiencing

    > these
    > > > problems?
    > > >

    > > I have problems with their outgoing (SMTP) server every day. Using
    > > Entourage in OS X, it gets to 'sending mail data' and then just stays
    > > there. Cancelling, and then sending again usually does the trick on the
    > > 2nd or 3rd attempt.
    > >
    > > I assume it's because the SMTP servers are overloaded or something- i've
    > > no idea really.

    > > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    > Thanks for the feedback, I often have problems with the smtp server also

    but
    > today it is the pop3 server that is not working, I haven't tried the smtp
    > server today.

    Maybe someone at orcon is monitoring this newsgroup as the mail server is
    working again.

    horizontal, Sep 24, 2004
  5. horizontal

    ~misfit~ Guest

    horizontal wrote:
    > "horizontal" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mark." <> wrote in message

    >>> I have problems with their outgoing (SMTP) server every day. Using
    >>> Entourage in OS X, it gets to 'sending mail data' and then just
    >>> stays there. Cancelling, and then sending again usually does the
    >>> trick on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.
    >>>
    >>> I assume it's because the SMTP servers are overloaded or something-
    >>> i've no idea really.

    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    >> Thanks for the feedback, I often have problems with the smtp server
    >> also but today it is the pop3 server that is not working, I haven't
    >> tried the smtp server today.
    >>

    > Maybe someone at orcon is monitoring this newsgroup as the mail
    > server is working again.

    LOL, I posted saying the same thing as you in the 'Bitstream' thread about
    10 minutes after you (didn't read this post then) and, sure enough, the POP3
    server started working 15 minutes later.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 24, 2004
  6. horizontal

    Dogg Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:03:03 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >LOL, I posted saying the same thing as you in the 'Bitstream' thread about
    >10 minutes after you (didn't read this post then) and, sure enough, the POP3
    >server started working 15 minutes later.

    Hmm..does this bode well for all of us who just signed up?

    BOINC SETI

    Dogg, Sep 24, 2004
  7. In article <41535926$> in nz.comp on Fri, 24 Sep 2004
    11:15:56 +1200, horizontal <> says...
    > I use outlook express and I periodically have problems with orcons mail
    > server, currently I am getting "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the
    > connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network
    > problems, or a long period of inactivity." Anyone else experiencing these
    > problems?

    Sounds like an Outlook/OE error message, never get anything like it since
    I switched to Thunderbird.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 24, 2004
  8. horizontal

    Chris Guest

    Dogg <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:03:03 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >>
    >>LOL, I posted saying the same thing as you in the 'Bitstream' thread
    >>about 10 minutes after you (didn't read this post then) and, sure
    >>enough, the POP3 server started working 15 minutes later.

    > Hmm..does this bode well for all of us who just signed up?
    >

    > BOINC SETI
    > http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off

    Not really, the service I received from Orcon turned to shit the moment I
    have them my bank account details.

    In fairness to Orcon though, it may have someting to do with the Jetsurf
    provision as the dial up seems to work OK, not that I use it very often,
    only when I'm not at home.

    Chris, Sep 24, 2004
  9. horizontal

    Chris Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <41535926$> in nz.comp on Fri, 24 Sep 2004
    > 11:15:56 +1200, horizontal <> says...
    >> I use outlook express and I periodically have problems with orcons
    >> mail server, currently I am getting "Your server has unexpectedly
    >> terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server
    >> problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity." Anyone
    >> else experiencing these problems?

    > Sounds like an Outlook/OE error message, never get anything like it
    > since I switched to Thunderbird.

    It's interesting you should say that, as I don't recall ever having a
    problem when I've been using (testing/trying out) Thunderbird. I only have
    problems when using Pegasus.

    Chris, Sep 24, 2004
  10. horizontal

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:15:56 +1200, horizontal wrote:

    > I use outlook express and I periodically have problems with orcons mail
    > server, currently I am getting "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the
    > connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network
    > problems, or a long period of inactivity." Anyone else experiencing these
    > problems?

    Get it quite regularly.

    Orcon's quality of service is going to shit. Any suggestions on a better
    ISP ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Every law is an infraction of liberty." -- Jeremy Bentham

    Note: All my comments are copyright 24/09/2004 6:22:42 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 24, 2004
  11. In article <> in nz.comp on 23 Sep 2004
    22:14:38 -0500, Chris <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <41535926$> in nz.comp on Fri, 24 Sep 2004
    > > 11:15:56 +1200, horizontal <> says...
    > >> I use outlook express and I periodically have problems with orcons
    > >> mail server, currently I am getting "Your server has unexpectedly
    > >> terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server
    > >> problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity." Anyone
    > >> else experiencing these problems?

    > > Sounds like an Outlook/OE error message, never get anything like it
    > > since I switched to Thunderbird.
    > >

    > It's interesting you should say that, as I don't recall ever having a
    > problem when I've been using (testing/trying out) Thunderbird. I only have
    > problems when using Pegasus.

    Maybe thunderbird has different error messages...I remember talking to
    Paradise about some obscure error message Outlook was giving, it
    disappeared as soon as I went to Thunderbird (0.4)

    Gave up on Pegasus after it kept crashing.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 24, 2004
  12. horizontal

    Worm Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > Orcon's quality of service is going to shit. Any suggestions on a better
    > ISP ?

    Its beginning to get that way unfortunately. Admittedly, my actual
    connection seems to have improved markedly this week.

    Worm

    Worm, Sep 24, 2004
  13. horizontal

    Worm Guest

    "Worm" <> wrote in message

    And didn't the adverts go at some stage? They're back.

    Worm

    Worm, Sep 24, 2004
  14. horizontal

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:42:45 +1200, Worm wrote:

    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    > And didn't the adverts go at some stage? They're back.

    Noticed. I think they are getting slack.

    --

    .... Brendan

    This is your brain.
    Literally, the period at the end of the last
    sentence is your brain.
    You have done *way* too many drugs.
    - nu-monet v4.0

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/09/2004 2:13:48 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 24, 2004
  15. horizontal

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:36:10 +1200, Worm wrote:

    >> Orcon's quality of service is going to shit. Any suggestions on a better
    >> ISP ?

    > Its beginning to get that way unfortunately. Admittedly, my actual
    > connection seems to have improved markedly this week.

    The actual connection to them seems fine; but there servers are crappy.

    1. Trouble with the news server. Always. If it's not one thing it's
    another.

    2. SMTP - likes to go on holiday about once or twice a week.

    3. POP - likes to pack a sad about once a month.

    4. Spam filter that is a bit ambiguous (all you get is a number or 3). The
    previous one I found much better. Not enough info in the headers for me to
    filter on. The previous one was better in that way - it was a bayes one
    that listed the 'hits' in the header, so I could use dialog's regular
    expressions to filter based on some or all of those hits. Usually
    "HTML_only" and the bayes score over 20 IIRC was enough to get 99% of them
    with zero false.

    In My Experience.

    I haven't been able to recommend Orcon to customers for a few months now.
    Pity, as I like their self-config interface for your account (although some
    features are missing), and the email setup (although you should be able to
    have more than 3 extra email aliases, AND you should be able to change your
    'root' email address (so you can avoid spam and dictionary spam attacks).

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Communism is like one big phone company." -- Lenny Bruce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/09/2004 1:49:53 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 24, 2004
  16. > "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > > Orcon's quality of service is going to shit. Any suggestions on a better
    > > ISP ?

    Xtra?

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 24, 2004
  17. horizontal

    Chris Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > In article <> in nz.comp on 23 Sep 2004
    > 22:14:38 -0500, Chris <> says...
    >> Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > In article <41535926$> in nz.comp on Fri, 24 Sep 2004
    >> > 11:15:56 +1200, horizontal <> says...
    >> >
    >> > Sounds like an Outlook/OE error message, never get anything like it
    >> > since I switched to Thunderbird.
    >> >

    >> It's interesting you should say that, as I don't recall ever having a
    >> problem when I've been using (testing/trying out) Thunderbird. I
    >> only have problems when using Pegasus.

    > Maybe thunderbird has different error messages...I remember talking to
    > Paradise about some obscure error message Outlook was giving, it
    > disappeared as soon as I went to Thunderbird (0.4)
    >
    > Gave up on Pegasus after it kept crashing.

    No, I believe it's to do with the implimination of RFC ??? SMTP protocal.
    Pegasus is very strict about how it interacts with the SMTP/POP3 servers.
    Theres been threads about this in the pegasus NG's. Personally i've
    never has Pegasus crash.

    Chris, Sep 25, 2004
  18. horizontal

    EMB Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > No, I believe it's to do with the implimination of RFC ??? SMTP protocal.
    > Pegasus is very strict about how it interacts with the SMTP/POP3 servers.
    > Theres been threads about this in the pegasus NG's. Personally i've
    > never has Pegasus crash.

    Nor have I - I set it up for my father and it connects happily to Maxnet
    and ihug's mailservers as well as his work (running Mercury as a
    mailserver so it should work there).

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Sep 25, 2004
  19. This is news to me
    I'll look into it

    Cheers
    Seeby

    MD Orcon Internet

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Sep 26, 2004