    512Kbps.

    We are expecting to finalise the details of these plans in the next three weeks,
    so keep an eye on the Orcon website for details.
    Torrential, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Torrential

    Nova Guest

    Torrential wrote:
    > While other ISP staying away from the new scheme
    >
    > just receive enews..
    >
    > ===================================
    > Faster Broadband with more Speed Options
    >
    > You asked for it and now it is on its way.
    >
    > One of the most common requests to come from our recent customer survey was that
    > you want faster download and upload speed options for your broadband
    > connections. We are pleased to say that very soon we will be announcing our new
    > broadband plans, with download speeds up to 3.5Mbps, and upload speeds up to
    > 512Kbps.
    >
    > We are expecting to finalise the details of these plans in the next three weeks,
    > so keep an eye on the Orcon website for details.

    Tough decision I guess...

    1) You can decide not to take the plan and watch your customers migrate
    to Xtra...

    2) You can accept these horrid plans and at least _try_ and compete with
    Xtra, either way you are screwed. The margins on these plans are so low
    that ISP's won't exactly make much money.

    The problem is now that if Orcon have accepted them other ISP's might
    too as they dont want orcon to have an advantage.. and then telecom look
    better cause they have given all the ISP's faster plans..

    Anyway I think the government can see past these silly games of telecom
    finally and know ISP's are basically being forced into these plans..
    Nova, Mar 2, 2006

  3. Torrential

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:36:24 +1300, Torrential <>
    exclaimed:

    >While other ISP staying away from the new scheme
    >
    >just receive enews..
    >
    >===================================
    >Faster Broadband with more Speed Options
    >
    >You asked for it and now it is on its way.
    >
    >One of the most common requests to come from our recent customer survey was that
    >you want faster download and upload speed options for your broadband
    >connections. We are pleased to say that very soon we will be announcing our new
    >broadband plans, with download speeds up to 3.5Mbps, and upload speeds up to
    >512Kbps.
    >
    >We are expecting to finalise the details of these plans in the next three weeks,
    >so keep an eye on the Orcon website for details.

    Yes, Orcon again appears to be in Telecom's pocket.

    I reckon there's some secret squirrel stuff going on behind the
    scenes, there. Payoffs, or subsidies, or some such thing.
    Fred Dagg, Mar 2, 2006
  4. Torrential

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:36:24 +1300, Torrential <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >> While other ISP staying away from the new scheme
    >>
    >> just receive enews..
    >>
    >> ===================================
    >> Faster Broadband with more Speed Options
    >>
    >> You asked for it and now it is on its way.
    >>
    >> One of the most common requests to come from our recent customer
    >> survey was that you want faster download and upload speed options
    >> for your broadband connections. We are pleased to say that very soon
    >> we will be announcing our new broadband plans, with download speeds
    >> up to 3.5Mbps, and upload speeds up to 512Kbps.
    >>
    >> We are expecting to finalise the details of these plans in the next
    >> three weeks, so keep an eye on the Orcon website for details.

    > Yes, Orcon again appears to be in Telecom's pocket.
    >
    > I reckon there's some secret squirrel stuff going on behind the
    > scenes, there. Payoffs, or subsidies, or some such thing.

    Indeed. A helpdesk guy as much as admitted it to me nearly a year ago. Said
    they have a "special relationship" with Telecom which isn't widely known
    when I asked how he could claim to do something that another ISP couldn't.
    (Can't remember what it was now, so many calls to that helpdesk).
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Mar 3, 2006
  5. Torrential

    joe_90 Guest

    Torrential wrote:
    > While other ISP staying away from the new scheme
    >
    > just receive enews..
    >
    > ===================================
    > Faster Broadband with more Speed Options
    >
    > You asked for it and now it is on its way.
    >
    > One of the most common requests to come from our recent customer survey was that
    > you want faster download and upload speed options for your broadband
    > connections.

    I notice they conveniently avoid mentioning increasing the data caps
    (because that's not what Telecom are offering).

    I think if one of the most common requests would be a realistic data
    allowance so that people can actually make use of their current
    bandwidth (without additional charges).

    The current entry level 256 Kbps offers a significant speed improvement
    over dial-up, and would be a natural upgrade choice for most users were
    it not for the pathetic data caps. But then, of course, people don't
    want 'broadband' because they are happy with dial-up (and tying up the
    phone line).
    joe_90, Mar 3, 2006
  6. Torrential

    Mutlley Guest

    joe_90 <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote:

    >Torrential wrote:
    >> While other ISP staying away from the new scheme
    >>
    >> just receive enews..
    >>
    >> ===================================
    >> Faster Broadband with more Speed Options
    >>
    >> You asked for it and now it is on its way.
    >>
    >> One of the most common requests to come from our recent customer survey was that
    >> you want faster download and upload speed options for your broadband
    >> connections.

    >I notice they conveniently avoid mentioning increasing the data caps
    >(because that's not what Telecom are offering).
    >
    >I think if one of the most common requests would be a realistic data
    >allowance so that people can actually make use of their current
    >bandwidth (without additional charges).
    >
    >The current entry level 256 Kbps offers a significant speed improvement
    >over dial-up, and would be a natural upgrade choice for most users were
    >it not for the pathetic data caps. But then, of course, people don't
    >want 'broadband' because they are happy with dial-up (and tying up the
    >phone line).

    Actually Orcon still has the 256K with no datacap..
    Mutlley, Mar 3, 2006
  7. Torrential

    joe_90 Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > joe_90 <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Torrential wrote:
    >>> While other ISP staying away from the new scheme
    >>>
    >>> just receive enews..
    >>>
    >>> ===================================
    >>> Faster Broadband with more Speed Options
    >>>
    >>> You asked for it and now it is on its way.
    >>>
    >>> One of the most common requests to come from our recent customer survey was that
    >>> you want faster download and upload speed options for your broadband
    >>> connections.

    >> I notice they conveniently avoid mentioning increasing the data caps
    >> (because that's not what Telecom are offering).
    >>
    >> I think if one of the most common requests would be a realistic data
    >> allowance so that people can actually make use of their current
    >> bandwidth (without additional charges).
    >>
    >> The current entry level 256 Kbps offers a significant speed improvement
    >> over dial-up, and would be a natural upgrade choice for most users were
    >> it not for the pathetic data caps. But then, of course, people don't
    >> want 'broadband' because they are happy with dial-up (and tying up the
    >> phone line).

    > Actually Orcon still has the 256K with no datacap..

    Yes, but it costs $59.95 and for that you can buy 20GB of additional
    data on their standard Home plan. Hardly an entry level package.

    The standard 256K plan has a limit of 1GB (in this case) - that's an
    average of 33MB.
    joe_90, Mar 3, 2006