Orcon gets even worse? Or is it me?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=-, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 8, 2005

  3. -=rjh=-

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:09:59 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Unbelievable, I thought things had improved for a few days there, but
    >now look at what I'm getting:
    >
    >http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpee...ountryId=155&ConnectionId=10673&UserId=149552
    >
    >In fact, this is even worse in practice than the pictures show - I'm
    >getting lots of timeouts, too. Pages take ages to load.
    >
    >Are any others seeing this, or is it just my connection?
    >
    >cheers

    It's the same all over with Orcon UBS. Hopefully the changes they've
    said will happen are sooner rather then later.

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Feb 8, 2005
  4. -=rjh=-

    Mike_P Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Unbelievable, I thought things had improved for a few days there, but now
    > look at what I'm getting:
    >
    > http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpee...ountryId=155&ConnectionId=10673&UserId=149552
    >
    > In fact, this is even worse in practice than the pictures show - I'm
    > getting lots of timeouts, too. Pages take ages to load.
    >
    > Are any others seeing this, or is it just my connection?
    >
    > cheers

    No it's not just you. I'm currently downloading LineSpeedMeter at <9KB/Sec.
    Pages are slow to load, NNTP times out, WinMX is unusable etc, etc, etc.

    Frankly a dial-up connection would be much faster, more reliable and cheaper
    than the crap we have has to put up with for the past month or more.

    Mike_P

    Mike_P, Feb 8, 2005
  5. -=rjh=-

    Mike_P Guest

    "DoggNZ" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:09:59 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >
    >>Unbelievable, I thought things had improved for a few days there, but
    >>now look at what I'm getting:
    >>
    >>http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpee...ountryId=155&ConnectionId=10673&UserId=149552
    >>
    >>In fact, this is even worse in practice than the pictures show - I'm
    >>getting lots of timeouts, too. Pages take ages to load.
    >>
    >>Are any others seeing this, or is it just my connection?
    >>
    >>cheers

    > It's the same all over with Orcon UBS. Hopefully the changes they've
    > said will happen are sooner rather then later.

    Obviously later, as the have been promising these changes for 3-4 weeks now.

    Mike_P

    Mike_P, Feb 8, 2005
  6. -=rjh=-

    John Guest

    Yes, Orcon absolutely sucks. I made the mistake of moving from Ihug to Orcon
    to try and support a New Zealand company. Ihug might have been a little slow
    at times but Orcon is way worse. I regret making the change over.

    Orcon promised a service that they cannot deliver, I do not care whos fault
    it is, the fact of the matter is they still take $49.95 out of my account
    every month.

    I for one am sick of excuses, they cannot even provide a decent news server!

    If you are thinking of going to Orcon, don't.

    Mark

    John, Feb 8, 2005
  7. -=rjh=-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpeed/Results/TestStats/default.aspx?CountryI
    d=155&ConnectionId=10673&UserId=149552

    > In fact, this is even worse in practice than the pictures show - I'm
    > getting lots of timeouts, too. Pages take ages to load.
    >
    > Are any others seeing this, or is it just my connection?

    I have Orcon UBS and frankly my old Telecom dial-up was more responsive and
    faster (not to mention 10 x better latency) than my ADSL has been over the
    last few weeks. Frankly I feel as if I'm paying $49.95 for a $10 service.
    The only time I get speed above about 8Kb/s is when I'm checking my email
    from Orcon's servers. This is getting old fast. If it doesn't get better
    damn soon it won't get any older, I'd rather go back to dial-up, words I
    thought I'd never utter.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2005
  8. -=rjh=-

    rjj Guest

    ....or try Slingshot's $49.95 unlimited UBS plan perhaps? I don't have
    anything like these issues on SS 256k UBS. Of course that means you
    probably get stung with a 'churn' fee though :(

    rjj, Feb 9, 2005
  9. -=rjh=-

    Starkey Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:09:59 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Unbelievable, I thought things had improved for a few days there, but
    >now look at what I'm getting:
    >
    >http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpee...ountryId=155&ConnectionId=10673&UserId=149552
    >
    >In fact, this is even worse in practice than the pictures show - I'm
    >getting lots of timeouts, too. Pages take ages to load.
    >
    >Are any others seeing this, or is it just my connection?
    >
    >cheers

    on there fourms it says it will get better in the few days

    More Information:

    For the last couple of weeks, the limiting factor has been our
    connection to Telecom (which was running at 100% capacity). This has
    now been upgraded, and the circuits are no longer full. Traffic levels
    overall have increased by around 20% (Domestic Traffic and
    International).

    The limiting factor now is our International capacity which has been
    upgraded to pretty much the maximum that existing circuits will cope
    with. We are now waiting for a 100Meg circuit from Vector and MCI that
    was supposed to be delivered in December. Their indications are that
    we are at the most 3 weeks away from having this circuit.
    However, in the meantime, I am doing everything in my power to get
    additional International capacity. I have been on the phone for a
    significant portion of this morning yelling at Vector and MCI people,
    and I'm now looking at pulling in traffic over the APE (Auckland
    Peering Exchange), or any other method that will speed things up.

    Cheers
    Seeby

    Starkey, Feb 9, 2005
  10. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Unbelievable, I thought things had improved for a few days there, but
    >> now look at what I'm getting:

    >> http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpee...ountryId=155&ConnectionId=10673&UserId=149552

    > that is a really inconsistant connection... it'd be a pain in the arse
    > to use.

    Speed isn't everything, though.

    As I said, it actually looks better than it really is - for example,
    couple of days ago, when the speed seemed a little better:

    C:\>ping di.fm

    Pinging di.fm [160.79.128.9] with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for 160.79.128.9:

    whereas now I get consistent 300ms pings there. But everything is very slow.

    Now, if the situation is a Seeby describes - and I'm sure it is - there
    should be a speed reduction in the afternoon and evening (assuming
    residential customers) as the International bandwidth gets filled up.
    Early morning the speed should be high again. That isn't what my graphs
    are currently showing, although there aren't enough samples to get a
    good picture.

    Maybe everyone on Orcon just has bittorrent running 24/7, that would
    even things out :)

    -=rjh=-, Feb 9, 2005
  11. -=rjh=-

    DB Guest

    Re: Orcon gets even worse? Or is it me? XTRA is just as bad with 2MB

    http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpee...ountryId=155&ConnectionId=10897&UserId=150181

    I have been finding Xtra just as bad of late.

    Dave B

    DB, Feb 9, 2005
  12. -=rjh=-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    rjj wrote:
    > ...or try Slingshot's $49.95 unlimited UBS plan perhaps? I don't have
    > anything like these issues on SS 256k UBS. Of course that means you
    > probably get stung with a 'churn' fee though :(

    Handy to know, thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2005