    Malone Guest

    Anyone know what's going on at Orcon? It has been impossible to edit web pages on their Freehost server for over a week and to view any pages for several days. Orcon say they are 'temporarily offline' whilst they are 'upgrading their storage system'. A half-competent ISP shouldn't need to take a server down for several days to do this.

    It seems to me more likely that they are intensifying their policy of maintaining an appalling quality of service from the Freehost server in the hope that those of us with sites on it will go away and Orcon can extract themselves from their ill-advised free host offer.........

    Malone, Jun 27, 2005

  2. Malone

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Malone wrote:
    > Anyone know what's going on at Orcon? It has been impossible to edit web pages on their Freehost server for over a week and to view any pages for several days. Orcon say they are 'temporarily offline' whilst they are 'upgrading their storage system'. A half-competent ISP shouldn't need to take a server down for several days to do this.
    >
    > It seems to me more likely that they are intensifying their policy of maintaining an appalling quality of service from the Freehost server in the hope that those of us with sites on it will go away and Orcon can extract themselves from their ill-advised free host offer.........

    Well, why don't you try asking politely on orcon.general instead of
    bitching about it here?

    Ah, too late - I've already done it. :)

    -=rjh=-, Jun 27, 2005

  3. Malone

    mark Guest

    -=rjh=- <> wrote in news:42bfb314$:

    > Subject: Re: Orcon Freehost server
    > From: -=rjh=- <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > Malone wrote:
    >> Anyone know what's going on at Orcon? It has been impossible to edit
    >> web pages on their Freehost server for over a week and to view any
    >> pages for several days. Orcon say they are 'temporarily offline'
    >> whilst they are 'upgrading their storage system'. A half-competent
    >> ISP shouldn't need to take a server down for several days to do this.
    >>
    >> It seems to me more likely that they are intensifying their policy of
    >> maintaining an appalling quality of service from the Freehost server
    >> in the hope that those of us with sites on it will go away and Orcon
    >> can extract themselves from their ill-advised free host
    >> offer.........

    > Well, why don't you try asking politely on orcon.general instead of
    > bitching about it here?
    >
    > Ah, too late - I've already done it. :)

    Mentioning how useless Orcon is here counts as a community service though,
    doesn't it? :)

    mark, Jun 27, 2005
  4. Malone

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:40:42 +1200, "Malone" <> wrote:

    >Anyone know what's going on at Orcon? It has been impossible to edit web pages on their Freehost server for over a week and to view any pages for several days. Orcon say they are 'temporarily offline' whilst they are 'upgrading their storage system'. A half-competent ISP shouldn't need to take a server down for several days to do this.

    Seems to be up and running now, although I can't login in via FTP.

    Invisible, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Malone

    Guest

    Invisible wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:40:42 +1200, "Malone" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone know what's going on at Orcon? It has been impossible to edit web pages on their Freehost server for over a week and to view any pages for several days. Orcon say they are 'temporarily offline' whilst they are 'upgrading their storage system'. A half-competent ISP shouldn't need to take a server down for several days to do this.

    > Seems to be up and running now, although I can't login in via FTP.

    It's obvious that Orcon want to dispense with Free hosting the way
    they continually **** people around. That they take so long to
    rectify problems, sometimes in excess of 6 weeks is indicative of
    their inclinations. However, because of their slovenly maintenance
    and stonewalling, why would anyone be enamoured with the idea of
    changing to paying them for hosting?
    Orcon needs to remember that word of mouth is one of the biggest
    conveyors of opinion, good or bad.

    Orcon either wants to front up and deliver what it offered, or give
    notice of ceasing Free Hosting and give site owners access to their
    files so they can remove same and move on.

    Duncan

    , Jun 30, 2005