    May we had a "/." (Slash Dot) on www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz, which still
    responded ( although S L O W L Y !) even at 200 hits a minute. Even
    Orcon (who were informed during the surge) were impressed !
    manuka, Dec 20, 2004

  2. manuka

    Mutlley Guest

    (manuka) wrote:

    >The random on/off nature of Orcon's free hosting this week is
    >certainly annoying, but doubt if it's overseas demand related. Back in
    >May we had a "/." (Slash Dot) on www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz, which still
    >responded ( although S L O W L Y !) even at 200 hits a minute. Even
    >Orcon (who were informed during the surge) were impressed !

    I can't seem to do anything with mine. Web access is fine. I can FTP
    into it but can't make any changes. Say I don't have permission to do
    it.
    Mutlley, Dec 22, 2004

  3. manuka

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Dec 22, 2004
  4. manuka

    Malone Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message news:...
    > (manuka) wrote:
    >
    > I can't seem to do anything with mine. Web access is fine. I can FTP
    > into it but can't make any changes. Say I don't have permission to do
    > it.

    I had exactly the same problem. After six days it was rectified on Monday. Pester the support people and something might happen - eventually.

    I've given up on Orcon's freehost server. It's proved to be consistently unreliable. I prefer to pay for something that works rather than get something that doesn't for free. I think Orcon are shooting themselves in the foot by providing the free service and then such poor performance..
    Malone, Dec 22, 2004
  5. manuka

    Malone, Dec 22, 2004
  6. manuka

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Malone wrote:
    > "Mutlley" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >> (manuka) wrote:
    >>
    >>I can't seem to do anything with mine. Web access is fine. I can FTP
    >>into it but can't make any changes. Say I don't have permission to do
    >>it.

    > I had exactly the same problem. After six days it was rectified on Monday. Pester the support people and something might happen - eventually.
    >
    > I've given up on Orcon's freehost server. It's proved to be consistently unreliable. I prefer to pay for something that works rather than get something that doesn't for free. I think Orcon are shooting themselves in the foot by providing the free service and then such poor performance..

    Depends how you look at it - I pay Orcon ~$50.00 per month, so I don't
    consider their webhosting as being free at all - it is part of the
    package I'm paying for.

    -=rjh=-, Dec 22, 2004
  7. manuka

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=-, Dec 22, 2004
  8. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Depends how you look at it - I pay Orcon ~$50.00 per month, so I don't
    > consider their webhosting as being free at all - it is part of the
    > package I'm paying for.

    sucker, I get it for free...

    heh, sorry, I just *had* to.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 23, 2004
  9. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Depends how you look at it - I pay Orcon ~$50.00 per month, so I don't
    > consider their webhosting as being free at all - it is part of the
    > package I'm paying for.

    sucker, I get it for free...

    heh, sorry, I just *had* to.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 23, 2004