    inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
    'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
    Number: 0x800CCC0F

    horizontal, Oct 26, 2004

  2. horizontal

    horizontal Guest

    "horizontal" <> wrote in message
    news:417dd41e$...
    > Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was down
    > it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they seem
    > to have this problem regularly.
    >
    > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes

    for
    > this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    > inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
    > 'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
    > Number: 0x800CCC0F

    Murphy's law, as soon as I post this it starts working again, although it
    still seems to struggle, i.e it's slow.

    horizontal, Oct 26, 2004

  3. horizontal

    > "horizontal" <> wrote in message
    > > Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was

    down
    > > it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they

    seem
    > > to have this problem regularly.
    > >
    > > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes

    > for
    > > this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    > > inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
    > > 'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,

    Error
    > > Number: 0x800CCC0F
    > >

    > Murphy's law, as soon as I post this it starts working again, although it
    > still seems to struggle, i.e it's slow.

    It seems to have stopped working again, seems like something is overloaded
    at orcon.

    horizontal, Oct 26, 2004
  4. horizontal

    Starkey Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:39:40 +1300, "horizontal" <>
    wrote:

    >"horizontal" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "horizontal" <> wrote in message
    >> > Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was

    >down
    >> > it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they

    >seem
    >> > to have this problem regularly.
    >> >
    >> > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes

    >> for
    >> > this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    >> > inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
    >> > 'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,

    >Error
    >> > Number: 0x800CCC0F
    >> >

    >> Murphy's law, as soon as I post this it starts working again, although it
    >> still seems to struggle, i.e it's slow.
    >>

    >It seems to have stopped working again, seems like something is overloaded
    >at orcon.

    i couldnt send before it said my mail settings was wrong, i think
    orcon are losing it

    Starkey, Oct 26, 2004
  5. horizontal

    Collector_NZ Guest

    horizontal said the following on 26/10/2004 17:35:
    > Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was down
    > it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they seem
    > to have this problem regularly.
    >
    > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
    > this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    > inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
    > 'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
    > Number: 0x800CCC0F

    No issue for me I have been using it all afternoon sending and receiving.

    --
    He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |

    Collector_NZ, Oct 26, 2004
  6. horizontal

    Starkey Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:35:56 +1300, "horizontal" <>
    wrote:

    >Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was down
    >it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they seem
    >to have this problem regularly.
    >
    >Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
    >this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    >inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
    >'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
    >Number: 0x800CCC0F

    im getting it again i cant send to a certain person

    The original message was received at Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:59:17 +1300
    from 203-96-40-123.iprolink.co.nz [203.96.40.123]

    <xxxxx>
    (reason: User unknown)

    550 5.1.1 <xxxxx>... User unknown

    Starkey, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Starkey wrote:
    > im getting it again i cant send to a certain person

    > ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    > <xxxxx>
    > (reason: User unknown)
    > ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    > 550 5.1.1 <xxxxx>... User unknown

    thats not a good message.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004
  8. horizontal

    Starkey Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:47:18 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Starkey wrote:
    >> im getting it again i cant send to a certain person

    >> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    >> <xxxxx>
    >> (reason: User unknown)
    >> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    >> 550 5.1.1 <xxxxx>... User unknown

    >thats not a good message.

    i sent through hotmail to the person and it went fine just orcon i get
    that message

    Starkey, Oct 26, 2004
  9. horizontal

    thing Guest

    Starkey wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:47:18 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Starkey wrote:
    >>
    >>>im getting it again i cant send to a certain person

    >>> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    >>><xxxxx>
    >>> (reason: User unknown)
    >>> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    >>>550 5.1.1 <xxxxx>... User unknown

    >>thats not a good message.

    > i sent through hotmail to the person and it went fine just orcon i get
    > that message

    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

    We have lots of problems with yahoo and a few others, getting this 550,
    usually their servers stop responding though. It could be a few things,
    the smtp server is so overloaded that its acknowledgement of the email
    times out and the originating server thinks the connection broke and
    tries again....

    The duplex setting of your/thier server is wrong, this means the email's
    take for ever, small emails would seem to go OK but anything substantial
    times out. The network is stuffed and routeing loses it....

    I wonder if Orcon actually has their own servers or piggy back off xtra?
    Xtra's are diabolical, its taken an email 14 days before now to get out
    of xtra's network (quite why it did not drop after 5 I do not know).

    It looks like a case of move ISP's to me.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Oct 26, 2004
  10. horizontal

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:39:40 +1300, horizontal wrote:

    > It seems to have stopped working again, seems like something is overloaded
    > at orcon.

    My software is set to poll the orcon server for usenet and pop3 every five
    minutes. It is often getting timeout errors.

    I suggest Orcon separate the load a bit. I am also still awaiting some help
    with training their dspam system; 'forward as attachment' is not supported
    on my software.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Happiness is the interval between periods of unhappiness." -- Don Marquis

    Note: All my comments are copyright 26/10/2004 6:03:27 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 26, 2004
  11. horizontal

    Paul Guest

    horizontal wrote:
    > Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was down
    > it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they seem
    > to have this problem regularly.
    >
    > Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
    > this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    > inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
    > 'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
    > Number: 0x800CCC0F

    You don't think Nortons is causing the issue?

    Paul, Oct 26, 2004
  12. horizontal

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Brendan said the following on 26/10/2004 22:16:
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:39:40 +1300, horizontal wrote:
    >

    >>It seems to have stopped working again, seems like something is overloaded
    >>at orcon.

    > My software is set to poll the orcon server for usenet and pop3 every five
    > minutes. It is often getting timeout errors.
    >
    > I suggest Orcon separate the load a bit. I am also still awaiting some help
    > with training their dspam system; 'forward as attachment' is not supported
    > on my software.

    4 Minutes on Pop and 10 Minutes on NNTP no timeouts at all for me on dial up

    Collector_NZ, Oct 26, 2004
  13. horizontal

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:20:41 +1300, Collector_NZ wrote:

    > 4 Minutes on Pop and 10 Minutes on NNTP no timeouts at all for me on dial up

    regularly timeouts for me on dsl.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting drunk." -- The Replacements.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 26/10/2004 10:25:45 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 26, 2004
  14. horizontal

    ChrisOD Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Starkey wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:47:18 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> thats not a good message.

    >> i sent through hotmail to the person and it went fine just orcon i get
    >> that message

    >> News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >> >100,000 Newsgroups

    >> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    > We have lots of problems with yahoo and a few others, getting this 550,
    > usually their servers stop responding though. It could be a few things,
    > the smtp server is so overloaded that its acknowledgement of the email
    > times out and the originating server thinks the connection broke and
    > tries again....
    >
    > The duplex setting of your/thier server is wrong, this means the email's
    > take for ever, small emails would seem to go OK but anything substantial
    > times out. The network is stuffed and routeing loses it....
    >
    > I wonder if Orcon actually has their own servers or piggy back off xtra?
    > Xtra's are diabolical, its taken an email 14 days before now to get out
    > of xtra's network (quite why it did not drop after 5 I do not know).
    >
    > It looks like a case of move ISP's to me.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I don't think so

    550 User Unknown error comes from the recipient MTA not the sending MTA.

    Yes all of those problems you describe thing could cause email to be
    delayed or even bounced but not by a 550 error.

    Starkey: Can you post a more complete record of the bounce message, not
    the email addy of course. But it might have somthing like...

    While talking to SMTP.orcon.net.nz
    550 ........

    any error message should log which server sent the bounce.

    Normally a 550 means you've done a typo in the addy.

    ChrisOD, Oct 26, 2004
  15. horizontal

    ChrisOD Guest

    horizontal wrote:
    > "horizontal" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Lasttime I mentioned on this newgroup that the orcon email server was down
    >>it was fixed in minutes so hopefully the same will happen today, they seem
    >>to have this problem regularly.
    >>
    >>Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes

    > for
    >
    >>this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
    >>inactivity. Account: 'pop3.orcon.net.nz (1)', Server:
    >>'pop3.norton.antivirus', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
    >>Number: 0x800CCC0F
    >>

    > Murphy's law, as soon as I post this it starts working again, although it
    > still seems to struggle, i.e it's slow.

    I have found to my detriment that virus checkers make shit useless POP
    clients.

    They often time out while checking large attachments, they often just
    drop a session causing the pop server not to delete mails you have
    already downloaded. In general they suck over slow connections.

    But hey better than virii.

    ChrisOD, Oct 26, 2004
  16. horizontal

    ChrisOD Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:20:41 +1300, Collector_NZ wrote:
    >

    >>4 Minutes on Pop and 10 Minutes on NNTP no timeouts at all for me on dial up

    > regularly timeouts for me on dsl.

    Never had issues with pop (when I used to use it) but often with nntp
    I installed my own mail and news servers that are a little more
    resilient than my client and my nntp problems went away.

    ChrisOD, Oct 26, 2004
  17. It seems like Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:00:56 +1300 was when ChrisOD
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >While talking to SMTP.orcon.net.nz
    >550 ........
    >
    >any error message should log which server sent the bounce.
    >
    >Normally a 550 means you've done a typo in the addy.

    I haven't had a mail server problem with Quicksilver in as long as I
    can remember (last couple of years). Sorry, I couldn't help bringing
    some good to this thread of despair:)

    I remember Ihug was great, then turned poorly, now seem to be doing
    better. ICONZ was super great, then turned poorly, now seem to be
    doing better. Ditto for Paradise. Perhaps it's just Orcon's turn?

    *Exception to the rule = Xtra. I never remembered them being great:)
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 26, 2004
  18. ChrisOD wrote:
    > But hey better than virii.

    it is a matter of opinion.
    I use no virus checking on my email addy, and find it quite handy
    sometimes... it keeps me well aware of the volume of traffic caused by
    it, and what to watch out for at work(my home email gets a lot more
    email than my work, and virii well before work does).

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004
  19. horizontal

    Hmmm Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > It seems like Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:00:56 +1300 was when ChrisOD
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >

    >>While talking to SMTP.orcon.net.nz
    >>550 ........
    >>
    >>any error message should log which server sent the bounce.
    >>
    >>Normally a 550 means you've done a typo in the addy.

    > I haven't had a mail server problem with Quicksilver in as long as I
    > can remember (last couple of years). Sorry, I couldn't help bringing
    > some good to this thread of despair:)
    >
    > I remember Ihug was great, then turned poorly, now seem to be doing
    > better. ICONZ was super great, then turned poorly, now seem to be
    > doing better. Ditto for Paradise. Perhaps it's just Orcon's turn?
    >
    > *Exception to the rule = Xtra. I never remembered them being great:)

    blah blah blah

    Hmmm, Oct 26, 2004
  20. horizontal

    thing Guest

    ChrisOD wrote:
    > thing wrote:
    >
    >> Starkey wrote:

    >>> i sent through hotmail to the person and it went fine just orcon i get
    >>> that message

    >>> News==----
    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    >> We have lots of problems with yahoo and a few others, getting this
    >> 550, usually their servers stop responding though. It could be a few
    >> things, the smtp server is so overloaded that its acknowledgement of
    >> the email times out and the originating server thinks the connection
    >> broke and tries again....
    >>
    >> The duplex setting of your/thier server is wrong, this means the
    >> email's take for ever, small emails would seem to go OK but anything
    >> substantial times out. The network is stuffed and routeing loses it....
    >>
    >> I wonder if Orcon actually has their own servers or piggy back off
    >> xtra? Xtra's are diabolical, its taken an email 14 days before now to
    >> get out of xtra's network (quite why it did not drop after 5 I do not
    >> know).
    >>
    >> It looks like a case of move ISP's to me.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > I don't think so
    >
    > 550 User Unknown error comes from the recipient MTA not the sending MTA.

    I never said it was the sending MTA, though its the sending MTA that
    reports back to the client that sent the email.

    > Yes all of those problems you describe thing could cause email to be
    > delayed or even bounced but not by a 550 error.

    550 error could be caused by the receiving server losing its list of
    users....or its list has not been updated in time.

    > Starkey: Can you post a more complete record of the bounce message, not
    > the email addy of course. But it might have somthing like...
    >
    > While talking to SMTP.orcon.net.nz
    >
    > any error message should log which server sent the bounce.
    >
    > Normally a 550 means you've done a typo in the addy.

    yes, the user does not exist....

    or an alias at the receiving server is broken....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Oct 27, 2004