Orcon Dialup

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ray Dyer, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Ray Dyer

    Ray Dyer Guest

    Is anyone else having problems with Orcon dialup ??

    1 - connection made to server but no further, generally a reconnection
    will correct problem.

    2 - Connection ok but after a while server stops responding,
    reconnection needed to correct problem sometimes more than once.

    2 - Connection ok but then url not found messages, reconnect to fix.

    These problems from what I can recollect started with the advent of
    broadband services and have over time slowly got worse, hence this mail.

    Yes my phone line is ok, no changes over the last 3 years.
    Yes my computer settings are correct, never been changed.
    Yes I know about the ZoneAlarm problem.

    Yes I am reasonably clued up on these matters but always ready to learn
    new tricks :)

    Ray

    Ray Dyer, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Ray Dyer

    CollectorNZ Guest

    Ray Dyer wrote:

    > Is anyone else having problems with Orcon dialup ??
    >
    > 1 - connection made to server but no further, generally a reconnection
    > will correct problem.
    >
    > 2 - Connection ok but after a while server stops responding,
    > reconnection needed to correct problem sometimes more than once.
    >
    > 2 - Connection ok but then url not found messages, reconnect to fix.
    >
    > These problems from what I can recollect started with the advent of
    > broadband services and have over time slowly got worse, hence this mail.
    >
    > Yes my phone line is ok, no changes over the last 3 years.
    > Yes my computer settings are correct, never been changed.
    > Yes I know about the ZoneAlarm problem.
    >
    > Yes I am reasonably clued up on these matters but always ready to
    > learn new tricks :)
    >
    > Ray

    visit your account page and look at dialup usage, see what reason is
    given in the last coloum for the disconnect, I would be very interested
    to know if it is Lost Carrier!

    CollectorNZ, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Ray Dyer

    Graymond Guest

    CollectorNZ wrote:
    > Ray Dyer wrote:
    >
    >> Is anyone else having problems with Orcon dialup ??
    >>
    >> 1 - connection made to server but no further, generally a reconnection
    >> will correct problem.
    >>
    >> 2 - Connection ok but after a while server stops responding,
    >> reconnection needed to correct problem sometimes more than once.
    >>
    >> 2 - Connection ok but then url not found messages, reconnect to fix.
    >>
    >> These problems from what I can recollect started with the advent of
    >> broadband services and have over time slowly got worse, hence this mail.
    >>
    >> Yes my phone line is ok, no changes over the last 3 years.
    >> Yes my computer settings are correct, never been changed.
    >> Yes I know about the ZoneAlarm problem.
    >>
    >> Yes I am reasonably clued up on these matters but always ready to
    >> learn new tricks :)
    >>
    >> Ray

    > visit your account page and look at dialup usage, see what reason is
    > given in the last coloum for the disconnect, I would be very interested
    > to know if it is Lost Carrier!

    a couple of lost carriers last month but my problem is not the server
    disconnecting it just seems to stop responding or not getting out. I
    have to disconnected myself and then reconnect to clear the problem.
    Ray

    Graymond, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Ray Dyer

    CollectorNZ Guest

    Graymond wrote:

    > CollectorNZ wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Dyer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is anyone else having problems with Orcon dialup ??
    >>>
    >>> 1 - connection made to server but no further, generally a
    >>> reconnection will correct problem.
    >>>
    >>> 2 - Connection ok but after a while server stops responding,
    >>> reconnection needed to correct problem sometimes more than once.
    >>>
    >>> 2 - Connection ok but then url not found messages, reconnect to fix.
    >>> Snipped

    > a couple of lost carriers last month but my problem is not the server
    > disconnecting it just seems to stop responding or not getting out. I
    > have to disconnected myself and then reconnect to clear the problem.
    > Ray

    Out on a limb here, but my guess is you are using Windows 98 or 98
    upgraded to 98SE?
    You have probably been running the same load for a while (ie no reload
    at any stage recently)?

    The TCP/IP stack gets a little confused easily in 98 and stops talking
    correctly (over simplification).

    I had issues with Orcon dial up, but since telecon have done a lot of
    flood type repairs here I no longer seem to have an issue.

    Its a pain, but I would either reload, or test on a another line first
    to prove the case then reload.

    CollectorNZ, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Ray Dyer

    colinco Guest

    In article <404693a5$>, says...
    > a couple of lost carriers last month but my problem is not the server
    > disconnecting it just seems to stop responding or not getting out. I
    > have to disconnected myself and then reconnect to clear the problem.
    > Ray

    What modems do Orcon use, their own or Ipnet? I have been having similar
    probs with xtra - still up but nothing happening.

    colinco, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Ray Dyer

    Graymond Guest

    CollectorNZ wrote:
    > Graymond wrote:
    >
    >> CollectorNZ wrote:

    >> a couple of lost carriers last month but my problem is not the server
    >> disconnecting it just seems to stop responding or not getting out. I
    >> have to disconnected myself and then reconnect to clear the problem.
    >> Ray

    > Out on a limb here, but my guess is you are using Windows 98 or 98
    > upgraded to 98SE?
    > You have probably been running the same load for a while (ie no reload
    > at any stage recently)?
    >
    > The TCP/IP stack gets a little confused easily in 98 and stops talking
    > correctly (over simplification).
    >
    > I had issues with Orcon dial up, but since telecon have done a lot of
    > flood type repairs here I no longer seem to have an issue.
    >
    > Its a pain, but I would either reload, or test on a another line first
    > to prove the case then reload.

    using WinXP

    Graymond, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Ray Dyer

    CollectorNZ Guest

    Graymond wrote:

    > CollectorNZ wrote:
    >
    >> Graymond wrote:

    >>> a couple of lost carriers last month but my problem is not the
    >>> server disconnecting it just seems to stop responding or not getting
    >>> out. I have to disconnected myself and then reconnect to clear the
    >>> problem.
    >>> Ray

    >> Out on a limb here, but my guess is you are using Windows 98 or 98
    >> upgraded to 98SE?
    >> You have probably been running the same load for a while (ie no
    >> reload at any stage recently)?
    >>
    >> The TCP/IP stack gets a little confused easily in 98 and stops
    >> talking correctly (over simplification).
    >>
    >> I had issues with Orcon dial up, but since telecon have done a lot of
    >> flood type repairs here I no longer seem to have an issue.
    >>
    >> Its a pain, but I would either reload, or test on a another line
    >> first to prove the case then reload.
    >>

    > using WinXP

    Dam that knocks that on the head. Still suspect your stack though, use
    task manager to see what your CPU usage is when it is not responding on
    the connection, it also wouldnt hurt to add the network performance tab
    and check if there is any traffic (eg QOS) being transfered when it is
    not responding to you.

    CollectorNZ, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Ray Dyer

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:19:49 +1300, Graymond wrote:

    > using WinXP

    This should have been in the first post. More information is good, still
    more is better.

    Gordon, Mar 4, 2004
  9. Ray Dyer

    Graymond Guest

    CollectorNZ wrote:
    > Graymond wrote:
    >
    >> CollectorNZ wrote:

    >>> Out on a limb here, but my guess is you are using Windows 98 or 98
    >>> upgraded to 98SE?
    >>> You have probably been running the same load for a while (ie no
    >>> reload at any stage recently)?
    >>>
    >>> The TCP/IP stack gets a little confused easily in 98 and stops
    >>> talking correctly (over simplification).
    >>>
    >>> I had issues with Orcon dial up, but since telecon have done a lot of
    >>> flood type repairs here I no longer seem to have an issue.
    >>>
    >>> Its a pain, but I would either reload, or test on a another line
    >>> first to prove the case then reload.
    >>>

    >> using WinXP

    > Dam that knocks that on the head. Still suspect your stack though, use
    > task manager to see what your CPU usage is when it is not responding on
    > the connection, it also wouldnt hurt to add the network performance tab
    > and check if there is any traffic (eg QOS) being transfered when it is
    > not responding to you.

    will check when/if it happens again

    Graymond, Mar 4, 2004
  10. Ray Dyer

    Graymond Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:19:49 +1300, Graymond wrote:
    >

    >>using WinXP

    > This should have been in the first post. More information is good, still
    > more is better.

    maybe it should have, but having put up with and monitoring this problem
    I believe it is not at my end, however my system is ---
    Gigabyte GA-7ZM M/B
    512 meg RAM
    40 Gig. C drive
    20 Gig. D drive
    dynalink V1456VQE ext.modem
    WinXP Home
    Incredimail or Thunderbird mail
    Firebird Browser
    and I,m 63 years young, computing experience started with System 80
    upgraded to 48k of RAM and sound tapped from M/B etc etc :)

    Graymond, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Ray Dyer

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:16:11 +1300, Ray Dyer <>
    wrote:

    >Yes I am reasonably clued up on these matters but always ready to learn
    >new tricks :)

    Try connecting at a lower speed and see how you get on. Also try
    disabling compression and/or error correction too.

    Another modem would also be worth a go, and if you're connecting to
    Orcon's equipment try Telecom's IPNet instead if it's an option.

    Craig Shore, Mar 5, 2004