    You can't play online games well at all at that rate pathetic rate.

    I know....it's Telecom.....but I'm telling my ISP that it seriously sucks.

    "Cause it does.

    steve, Jan 23, 2006

  2. steve

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The most recent Orcon newsletter has a link to an online customer survey.
    >
    > I completed it, being generally very favourable but expressing
    > considerable
    > unhappiness that the upstream data rate on UBS / ADSL is only 128k.....and
    > much of the day you get barely half of even that pathetic speed. More like
    > 33.6 - a dial-modem upward speed - in the afternoon and evenings.
    >
    > You can't play online games well at all at that rate pathetic rate.
    >
    > I know....it's Telecom.....but I'm telling my ISP that it seriously sucks.
    >
    > "Cause it does.

    I was playing on a internode server battlefield 2 and had a ping of 120
    spiking to 200 with some lag, but most of the time it was good. My fellow
    mates had ping of 40-60 (they were in melbourne, to queensland) we swaped
    over to xtra 9 i had a ping of 64 and my fellow mates had a lower ping of 40
    or less! even tho the server was across the tasman.

    KB

    Krazy Bob, Jan 23, 2006

  3. steve wrote:
    > The most recent Orcon newsletter has a link to an online customer survey.
    >
    > I completed it, being generally very favourable but expressing considerable
    > unhappiness that the upstream data rate on UBS / ADSL is only 128k.....and
    > much of the day you get barely half of even that pathetic speed. More like
    > 33.6 - a dial-modem upward speed - in the afternoon and evenings.
    >
    > You can't play online games well at all at that rate pathetic rate.
    >
    > I know....it's Telecom.....but I'm telling my ISP that it seriously sucks.
    >
    > "Cause it does.

    Do you have a link to the survey?

    Were the questions realistic, or deliberately aimed at making it sound
    like customers really were pleased with the service?

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 23, 2006
  4. steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://survey.orcon.net.nz/2006/survey.php

    > Were the questions realistic, or deliberately aimed at making it sound
    > like customers really were pleased with the service?

    Quite realistic actually. I started doing the survey last night but was
    doing some weird stuff in the background and my machine went all
    un-resonsive-like when it got to the "demographic info" page so I'm going to
    do it again later. (I have to actually drag myself out of the house in a
    minute).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2006
  5. "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> The most recent Orcon newsletter has a link to an online customer survey.
    >>
    >> I completed it, being generally very favourable but expressing
    >> considerable
    >> unhappiness that the upstream data rate on UBS / ADSL is only
    >> 128k.....and
    >> much of the day you get barely half of even that pathetic speed. More
    >> like
    >> 33.6 - a dial-modem upward speed - in the afternoon and evenings.
    >>
    >> You can't play online games well at all at that rate pathetic rate.
    >>
    >> I know....it's Telecom.....but I'm telling my ISP that it seriously
    >> sucks.
    >>
    >> "Cause it does.
    >>

    > I was playing on a internode server battlefield 2 and had a ping of 120
    > spiking to 200 with some lag, but most of the time it was good. My fellow
    > mates had ping of 40-60 (they were in melbourne, to queensland) we swaped
    > over to xtra 9 i had a ping of 64 and my fellow mates had a lower ping of
    > 40 or less! even tho the server was across the tasman.
    >
    > KB

    explanation?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 23, 2006
  6. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:47:23 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> Do you have a link to the survey?

    > http://survey.orcon.net.nz/2006/survey.php

    Oh people.

    Try no to the first question.

    So who is dumb in asking the second question?

    When will Orcon pull this site to the board room?

    Go on gentle people take this questionaire, for it is both interesting and
    fascanating.

    Really, gentle people, this is not really professional. At the very least
    I would have expected a challange as to I was before being allowed to
    answer the questions. That idea will be $567890 Orcon.

    Sorry, Orcon could do alot better. Time will tell if they do.

    Gordon, Jan 24, 2006
  7. Gordon wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:47:23 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>> Do you have a link to the survey?

    >> http://survey.orcon.net.nz/2006/survey.php

    > Oh people.
    >
    > Try no to the first question.
    >
    > So who is dumb in asking the second question?

    It is a fair question...

    Q1: Do you use Orcon dial-up?
    Q2: Do you use Orcon broadband (BitStream)?

    Some people won't consider their 128/256k connection to be broadband.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jan 24, 2006
  8. steve

    Richard Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > Q1: Do you use Orcon dial-up?
    > Q2: Do you use Orcon broadband (BitStream)?
    >
    > Some people won't consider their 128/256k connection to be broadband.

    I dont consider it broadband at all.

    Seems the canadian idea of broadband is 1.5 meg each way, so they all just have
    high speed internet offerings over there.

    Richard, Jan 24, 2006
  9. steve

    steve Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> The most recent Orcon newsletter has a link to an online customer survey.
    >>
    >> I completed it, being generally very favourable but expressing
    >> considerable
    >> unhappiness that the upstream data rate on UBS / ADSL is only
    >> 128k.....and much of the day you get barely half of even that pathetic
    >> speed. More like 33.6 - a dial-modem upward speed - in the afternoon and
    >> evenings.
    >>
    >> You can't play online games well at all at that rate pathetic rate.
    >>
    >> I know....it's Telecom.....but I'm telling my ISP that it seriously
    >> sucks.
    >>
    >> "Cause it does.
    >>

    > I was playing on a internode server battlefield 2 and had a ping of 120
    > spiking to 200 with some lag, but most of the time it was good. My fellow
    > mates had ping of 40-60 (they were in melbourne, to queensland) we swaped
    > over to xtra 9 i had a ping of 64 and my fellow mates had a lower ping of
    > 40 or less! even tho the server was across the tasman.
    >
    > KB

    Yep.....

    On Saturn's cable modem with 256k upward data rate, I'd have a ping of 17ms
    to the Paradise UT server.

    steve, Jan 24, 2006
  10. steve

    steve Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > "Krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "steve" <> wrote in message
    >>> The most recent Orcon newsletter has a link to an online customer
    >>> survey.
    >>>
    >>> I completed it, being generally very favourable but expressing
    >>> considerable
    >>> unhappiness that the upstream data rate on UBS / ADSL is only
    >>> 128k.....and
    >>> much of the day you get barely half of even that pathetic speed. More
    >>> like
    >>> 33.6 - a dial-modem upward speed - in the afternoon and evenings.
    >>>
    >>> You can't play online games well at all at that rate pathetic rate.
    >>>
    >>> I know....it's Telecom.....but I'm telling my ISP that it seriously
    >>> sucks.
    >>>
    >>> "Cause it does.
    >>>

    >> I was playing on a internode server battlefield 2 and had a ping of 120
    >> spiking to 200 with some lag, but most of the time it was good. My fellow
    >> mates had ping of 40-60 (they were in melbourne, to queensland) we swaped
    >> over to xtra 9 i had a ping of 64 and my fellow mates had a lower ping of
    >> 40 or less! even tho the server was across the tasman.
    >>
    >> KB
    >>

    > explanation?

    They have a faster data rate that more than compensates for the added
    latency of distance and additional routers/hops. So with - for example - as
    256k or 512k upward data rate, they could/would still be faster than Krazy
    Bob limping along locally at 128k.....(if that).

    In IP networks, the latency is determined by the data rate and the number of
    hops. Distance isn't a huge factor unless you're talking about going a long
    way - like halfway around the world......or beyond.

    steve, Jan 24, 2006
  11. steve

    steve Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> The most recent Orcon newsletter has a link to an online customer survey.
    >>
    >> I completed it, being generally very favourable but expressing
    >> considerable unhappiness that the upstream data rate on UBS / ADSL is
    >> only 128k.....and much of the day you get barely half of even that
    >> pathetic speed. More like 33.6 - a dial-modem upward speed - in the
    >> afternoon and evenings.
    >>
    >> You can't play online games well at all at that rate pathetic rate.
    >>
    >> I know....it's Telecom.....but I'm telling my ISP that it seriously
    >> sucks.
    >>
    >> "Cause it does.

    > Do you have a link to the survey?
    >
    > Were the questions realistic, or deliberately aimed at making it sound
    > like customers really were pleased with the service?
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Both....to some extent.

    They offered space for comments in several places and I made some.

    http://survey.orcon.net.nz/2006/survey.php

    steve, Jan 24, 2006