    (telstraclear with paradise 256k boardband usually has 55-60kb/s)

    Thank you all.

    Wallace

    Wallace, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Wallace wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm living in Wellington area, and deciding between these two company
    > for an ADSL 256k connection.
    > Does any one hv any experience with them?
    > For a 256k connection, which of them are more stable and hv better service?
    > Also what's the actual downloading speed form local server?
    > (telstraclear with paradise 256k boardband usually has 55-60kb/s)
    >
    > Thank you all.

    Lets see. According to the spool of news.orcon.net.nz...

    Threads relating to Slingshot:

    Slingshot Jetbuster - Throttling P2P?
    Slingshot now displaying advertising when browsing websites
    Slingshot UBS

    Threads relating to Orcon:

    Orcon News Server.......sadness remains
    Orcon hacked ?
    Orcon's new Traffic Shaping.
    Alternaltives to an incompetent Orcon web service?
    AVG or Orcon
    Orcon News Server error 452 ?
    Orcon News Server
    Orcon News Server Change
    Orcon shooting themselves in the foot
    Orcon News Server
    Orcon accelerator for Mac does not work.
    Orcon mail server - still having problems
    Orcon spam
    Orcon or adsl issues
    Orcon and bad pings

    If the number of complaints is anything to go by, Slingshot is the clear
    choice right now. I have been a long time Orcon supporter, but I'm sorry
    to say the days when I recommend their service have long gone.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 11, 2005

  3. On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:38:38 +1200, Wallace wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm living in Wellington area, and deciding between these two company
    > for an ADSL 256k connection.
    > Does any one hv any experience with them?
    > For a 256k connection, which of them are more stable and hv better service?
    > Also what's the actual downloading speed form local server?
    > (telstraclear with paradise 256k boardband usually has 55-60kb/s)
    >
    > Thank you all.
    >
    > Wallace

    orcon have gone to the dogs...

    wogers nemesis, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Wallace

    EMB Guest

    Wallace wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm living in Wellington area, and deciding between these two company
    > for an ADSL 256k connection.
    > Does any one hv any experience with them?
    > For a 256k connection, which of them are more stable and hv better service?
    > Also what's the actual downloading speed form local server?
    > (telstraclear with paradise 256k boardband usually has 55-60kb/s)
    >
    > Thank you all.

    Neither. I've had considerably less hassle with ISP's other than the 2
    you mention.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jun 11, 2005
  5. On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:38:38 +1200, Wallace wrote:

    > I'm living in Wellington area, and deciding between these two company
    > for an ADSL 256k connection.
    > Does any one hv any experience with them?
    > For a 256k connection, which of them are more stable and hv better service?
    > Also what's the actual downloading speed form local server?
    > (telstraclear with paradise 256k boardband usually has 55-60kb/s)

    My inclination would be to stay clear of any UBS based product. I've
    heard/seen numourous complaints of poor performance from both Orcon's and
    Slingshot's UBS Customers and I suspect that most other ISP who also offer
    UBS has had to resort to crippling their connections in some way.

    If you can find an ISP that still offers JetStream (Non-UBS) ADSL, I would
    advise you to consider them in your short list when looking for an ISP,
    because I have yet to see *any* ISP out there offer a reasonably reliable
    UBS product.

    I'm still using my 256k 3GB Jetstream connection (via Orcon ) after I
    aborted the plan move to UBS and am not experiencing any problems. The odd
    bittorrent I have downloaded goes at full rate, pages always load fast and
    downloads from major sites come down at full speed. (If you are not on an
    overloaded exchange).

    IHMO I still maintain that this Whole UBS thing is a complete and utter
    diabolical disaster, and some backsides (figuratively speaking) should be
    caned with the rattan over this great big cock up. So far, Bitstream just
    doesn't stack up against Jetstream as far as I am concern.

    Pacific Dragon, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Wallace

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:38:38 +1200, Wallace <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I'm living in Wellington area, and deciding between these two company
    >for an ADSL 256k connection.
    >Does any one hv any experience with them?
    >For a 256k connection, which of them are more stable and hv better service?
    >Also what's the actual downloading speed form local server?
    >(telstraclear with paradise 256k boardband usually has 55-60kb/s)

    If it's available why not just use TelstraClear Cable?

    Craig Shore, Jun 12, 2005
  7. In article <15kxiy7eiaqxq.5b8ygzn1tzyd$>,
    Pacific Dragon <> wrote:

    >If you can find an ISP that still offers JetStream (Non-UBS) ADSL, I would
    >advise you to consider them in your short list when looking for an ISP...

    That's the package I'm still using through Wave here in Hamilton--now a
    subsidiary of Ihug.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 12, 2005
  8. The Other Guy wrote:
    > Wallace wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I'm living in Wellington area, and deciding between these two company
    >> for an ADSL 256k connection.
    >> Does any one hv any experience with them?
    >> For a 256k connection, which of them are more stable and hv better
    >> service?
    >> Also what's the actual downloading speed form local server?
    >> (telstraclear with paradise 256k boardband usually has 55-60kb/s)
    >>
    >> Thank you all.

    > Lets see. According to the spool of news.orcon.net.nz...
    >
    > Threads relating to Slingshot:
    >
    > Slingshot Jetbuster - Throttling P2P?
    > Slingshot now displaying advertising when browsing websites
    > Slingshot UBS
    >
    > Threads relating to Orcon:
    >
    > Orcon News Server.......sadness remains
    > Orcon hacked ?
    > Orcon's new Traffic Shaping.
    > Alternaltives to an incompetent Orcon web service?
    > AVG or Orcon
    > Orcon News Server error 452 ?
    > Orcon News Server
    > Orcon News Server Change
    > Orcon shooting themselves in the foot
    > Orcon News Server
    > Orcon accelerator for Mac does not work.
    > Orcon UBS 2MBit or stick with Telecom/Orcon 2MBit ADSL?
    > Orcon mail server - still having problems
    > Orcon spam
    > Orcon or adsl issues
    > Orcon and bad pings
    >
    > If the number of complaints is anything to go by, Slingshot is the clear
    > choice right now. I have been a long time Orcon supporter, but I'm sorry
    > to say the days when I recommend their service have long gone.

    shouldn't you divide that by the number of users on each ISP to get the
    details revetive to the number of customers they each have?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 12, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > shouldn't you divide that by the number of users on each ISP to get the
    > details revetive to the number of customers they each have?

    Ideally, yes. "If the number of complaints is anything to go by..."
    which as you have pointed out isn't a good measure alone.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 12, 2005
  10. Wallace

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >
    >> Wallace wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> I'm living in Wellington area, and deciding between these two company
    >>> for an ADSL 256k connection.
    >>> Does any one hv any experience with them?
    >>> For a 256k connection, which of them are more stable and hv better
    >>> service?
    >>> Also what's the actual downloading speed form local server?
    >>> (telstraclear with paradise 256k boardband usually has 55-60kb/s)
    >>>
    >>> Thank you all.

    >> Lets see. According to the spool of news.orcon.net.nz...
    >>
    >> Threads relating to Slingshot:
    >>
    >> Slingshot Jetbuster - Throttling P2P?
    >> Slingshot now displaying advertising when browsing websites
    >> Slingshot UBS
    >>
    >> Threads relating to Orcon:
    >>
    >> Orcon News Server.......sadness remains
    >> Orcon hacked ?
    >> Orcon's new Traffic Shaping.
    >> Alternaltives to an incompetent Orcon web service?
    >> AVG or Orcon
    >> Orcon News Server error 452 ?
    >> Orcon News Server
    >> Orcon News Server Change
    >> Orcon shooting themselves in the foot
    >> Orcon News Server
    >> Orcon accelerator for Mac does not work.
    >> Orcon UBS 2MBit or stick with Telecom/Orcon 2MBit ADSL?
    >> Orcon mail server - still having problems
    >> Orcon spam
    >> Orcon or adsl issues
    >> Orcon and bad pings
    >>
    >> If the number of complaints is anything to go by, Slingshot is the
    >> clear choice right now. I have been a long time Orcon supporter, but
    >> I'm sorry to say the days when I recommend their service have long gone.

    > shouldn't you divide that by the number of users on each ISP to get the
    > details revetive to the number of customers they each have?

    I think you should allocate the number of complaints across the number
    of each ISPs customers using usenet, AFAIK Slingshot doesn't even offer
    news (I could be wrong).

    -=rjh=-, Jun 12, 2005
  11. -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>> If the number of complaints is anything to go by, Slingshot is the
    >>> clear choice right now. I have been a long time Orcon supporter, but
    >>> I'm sorry to say the days when I recommend their service have long gone.

    >> shouldn't you divide that by the number of users on each ISP to get
    >> the details revetive to the number of customers they each have?

    > I think you should allocate the number of complaints across the number
    > of each ISPs customers using usenet, AFAIK Slingshot doesn't even offer
    > news (I could be wrong).

    they do, they piggyback off ihugs server.
    usenet is not a good medium to get stats by anyway... hell, ISPs could
    simply filter outgoing messages of complaint to make themselves look
    better, although with nntp users usually being slightly ahead of the
    curve, we'd probably find a way around it.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 12, 2005