Orcon and disconnections

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John, Oct 11, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    "Sticky" <> wrote in message
    > Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
    > bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
    > straight away but after a few minutes.
    >
    > Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
    > gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
    >
    > Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
    >
    > The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
    > this is too long.
    >
    > What are others experiencing ?
    >

    > --
    > Sticky

    I thought their service was supposed to be really good. Maybe that is
    somthing to do with the Governemnt recently buying it.

    John, Oct 11, 2007

  2. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Sticky" typed:
    > Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
    > bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again,
    > not straight away but after a few minutes.
    >
    > Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
    > gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
    >
    > Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
    >
    > The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
    > this is too long.
    >
    > What are others experiencing ?

    I had exactly the same thing with Orcon, went on for six weeks. Ultimately
    they told me that, while not an ideal situation, they found it acceptable
    (up to 50 disconnects a day, average 35). I fixed it by signing up with
    Acrtix, they sent a Telecom tech out and he changed my port at the exchange,
    been great ever since.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 11, 2007

  3. John

    Richard Guest

    John wrote:

    > I thought their service was supposed to be really good. Maybe that is
    > somthing to do with the Governemnt recently buying it.

    No, they just ignore problems when they get too hard, like most SOE's...

    Richard, Oct 11, 2007
  4. John

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Sticky wrote:
    > Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
    > bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
    > straight away but after a few minutes.
    >
    > Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
    > gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
    >
    > Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
    >
    > The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
    > this is too long.
    >
    > What are others experiencing ?
    >

    > --
    > Sticky

    I am with orcon and have had no problems that I know about. I am in
    Hamilton In a street/suburb with low ADSL take up so I get a lot of
    speed. Now my brother-in-law was getting lots of disconnects and he
    reckons his ADSL modem had carped out so he bought a new one, but
    everybody in that house hold runs a lot of p2p type of software. He was
    with slingshot

    Sticky, Oct 11, 2007
  6. John

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <470dc132$>, Sticky <>
    wrote:

    > Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
    > bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
    > straight away but after a few minutes.
    >
    > Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
    > gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
    >
    > Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
    >
    > The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
    > this is too long.
    >
    > What are others experiencing ?
    >

    > --
    > Sticky

    No problems and orcon support has always been excellent when I have
    needed it. Of course it may also be the TELECOM line you are using is
    the fault, nothing to do with Orcon.

    whoisthis, Oct 11, 2007
  7. John

    Mutlley Guest

    Sticky <> wrote:

    >Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
    >bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
    >straight away but after a few minutes.
    >
    >Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
    >gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
    >
    >Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
    >
    >The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
    >this is too long.
    >
    >What are others experiencing ?

    I'm on Orcon and have had no problems at all. maybe the Telecom
    exchange that your ADSL goes thru..

    Mutlley, Oct 11, 2007
  8. John

    Puddle Guest

    Sticky wrote:
    > Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
    > bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
    > straight away but after a few minutes.
    >
    > Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
    > gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
    >
    > Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
    >
    > The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
    > this is too long.
    >
    > What are others experiencing ?
    >

    > --
    > Sticky

    No problems with Orcon here either.

    Puddle, Oct 11, 2007
  9. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "whoisthis" typed:
    > In article <470dc132$>, Sticky
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which
    > > is bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off
    > > again, not straight away but after a few minutes.
    > >
    > > Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this
    > > complaint gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this
    > > it was stable.
    > >
    > > Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention -
    > > nothing.
    > >
    > > The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a
    > > human, this is too long.
    > >
    > > What are others experiencing ?
    > >

    > > --
    > > Sticky

    > No problems and orcon support has always been excellent when I have
    > needed it. Of course it may also be the TELECOM line you are using is
    > the fault, nothing to do with Orcon.

    That's where you are wrong and exactly the problem that I had with Orcon.
    They lease the line from Telecom and, if there's a problem with it, they're
    the only ones who can get it fixed. I know, when I was with Orcon and they
    refused to involve Telecom, I tried directly. Telecom told me I'd have to go
    through my ISP.... Within a week of joining Actrix I had Telecom techs
    crawling all over (and under) my house, then agreeing with me that the fault
    wasn't mine and changing my port at the exchange. Been sweet ever since.

    Orcon messed me around for six weeks, making me unplug all phones for three
    days (!), try another brand-new router, even after I'd tried a USB ADSL
    modem I have here (Thank goodness DSE have such a liberal returns policy,
    ran it for a week then returned it for a refund when it made no difference).
    After the six weeks of bullshit and giving me the run-around they said that
    they'd decided that 50 disconnects was acceptable and they weren't going to
    persue the complaint further. (I'd been a customer of theirs for 18 months
    and had always paid my bill within a week of getting it.)

    I'm told that Orcon are great as long as you don't have problems. I wouldn't
    know about that. If you do have problems you're f^#ked as they refuse to
    escalate things to Telecom.

    Orcon were/are so far up Telecom's arse that they simply wouldn't bother
    them with little things like a customer losing his connection 50 times a
    day. Actrix got right onto it.

    Saying the Telecom line has nothing to do with Orcon is just plain wrong.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 12, 2007
  10. John

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:31:33 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Orcon messed me around for six weeks, making me unplug all phones for three
    >days (!), try another brand-new router, even after I'd tried a USB ADSL
    >modem I have here (Thank goodness DSE have such a liberal returns policy,
    >ran it for a week then returned it for a refund when it made no difference).
    >After the six weeks of bullshit and giving me the run-around they said that
    >they'd decided that 50 disconnects was acceptable and they weren't going to
    >persue the complaint further. (I'd been a customer of theirs for 18 months
    >and had always paid my bill within a week of getting it.)

    I had a problem with my connection, and struggled to get ihug to do anything
    about it. They just don't believe you that the exchange is fucked.
    In the end I struck someone on the helpdesk that did actually listen to me and I
    said I didn't mind paying the charge to get telecom to look at it if nothing was
    found. Turned out the port on the dslam was screwed and they replaced it with a
    new one.

    Craig Shore, Oct 12, 2007
  11. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Sticky" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Somewhere on the interweb "whoisthis" typed:
    > > > In article <470dc132$>, Sticky
    > > > <> wrote:

    > snip

    > > > No problems and orcon support has always been excellent when I
    > > > have needed it. Of course it may also be the TELECOM line you are
    > > > using is the fault, nothing to do with Orcon.

    > > That's where you are wrong and exactly the problem that I had with
    > > Orcon. They lease the line from Telecom and, if there's a problem
    > > with it, they're

    > snip
    > >
    > > I'm told that Orcon are great as long as you don't have problems. I
    > > wouldn't know about that. If you do have problems you're f^#ked as
    > > they refuse to escalate things to Telecom.
    > >
    > > Orcon were/are so far up Telecom's arse that they simply wouldn't
    > > bother them with little things like a customer losing his
    > > connection 50 times a day. Actrix got right onto it.
    > >
    > > Saying the Telecom line has nothing to do with Orcon is just plain
    > > wrong.

    > Agree Shaun.
    >
    > The fact that the problem is slowly reducing (up to 8 hours last
    > night!) then it's nothing I'm doing.

    Orcon may have changed but there was no way I could convince them to contact
    telecom to look into my problem back when I was with them.

    Actually, they did me a favour, Actrix are 10 times the ISP that Orcon
    was/is.

    > btw - the Pioneer DV-383 is (still) just GREAT!

    Mine too. It's also doing extra duty as a CD player as it has the best sound
    of all my DVD players/recorders. (I don't have a dedicated CD player
    anymore).

    They have to have been the buy of the decade. Awesome machine for not much
    money. Especially with a little help from a guy named Gufiak. :)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 12, 2007
  12. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Craig Shore" typed:
    > On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:31:33 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Orcon messed me around for six weeks, making me unplug all phones
    > > for three days (!), try another brand-new router, even after I'd
    > > tried a USB ADSL modem I have here (Thank goodness DSE have such a
    > > liberal returns policy, ran it for a week then returned it for a
    > > refund when it made no difference). After the six weeks of bullshit
    > > and giving me the run-around they said that they'd decided that 50
    > > disconnects was acceptable and they weren't going to persue the
    > > complaint further. (I'd been a customer of theirs for 18 months and
    > > had always paid my bill within a week of getting it.)

    > I had a problem with my connection, and struggled to get ihug to do
    > anything about it. They just don't believe you that the exchange is
    > fucked.

    Annoying huh?

    > In the end I struck someone on the helpdesk that did actually listen
    > to me and I said I didn't mind paying the charge to get telecom to
    > look at it if nothing was found. Turned out the port on the dslam
    > was screwed and they replaced it with a new one.

    Same problem here. They tried a different 'pair' first (after I changed to
    Actrix and they got Telecom to dispatch a tech within 24 hours) but it made
    no difference to my drop-outs. The next day they switched me to another
    port, said there could be up to four hours down-time. Turned out to be maybe
    an hour.

    The connection's been quite acceptable ever since.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 12, 2007
  13. John

    Sticky Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on the interweb "whoisthis" typed:
    >> In article <470dc132$>, Sticky

    snip

    Sticky, Oct 12, 2007
  14. John

    John Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on the interweb "whoisthis" typed:
    >> In article <470dc132$>, Sticky
    >> <> wrote:

    I'm told that Orcon are great as long as you don't have problems. I wouldn't
    know about that. If you do have problems you're f^#ked as they refuse to
    escalate things to Telecom.

    That tends to be the same with any company.

    John, Oct 13, 2007
  15. John

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "John" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > Somewhere on the interweb "whoisthis" typed:
    > > > In article <470dc132$>, Sticky
    > > > <> wrote:
    > > >

    > I'm told that Orcon are great as long as you don't have problems. I
    > wouldn't know about that. If you do have problems you're f^#ked as
    > they refuse to escalate things to Telecom.
    > >

    > That tends to be the same with any company.

    I disagree. Actrix, who I changed to after Orcon told me 50 disconnects a
    day was acceptable, really 'go to bat' for their customers. They got onto
    Telecom straight away for me. Telecom did the usuual "If the fault is found
    to be with the client's equipment then we'll charge *$13,275.63 for the
    visit". I had to agree to that first. Formally. Then they visited the next
    day. The fault wasn't with my gear. The contractor was actually a nice bloke
    and did a few things with the wiring for me at no cost. (Mainly tidied
    things up, the alarm monitoring company left everything in a mess when I
    cancelled my contract. It was all functional, just not tidy).

    Actually, you're probably right, it tends to be the same with any company.
    I'm pleased that Actrix isn't just "any company".

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    * I can't recall the exact figure but it wasn't cheap and was meant to be
    that way. I think it serves as an incentive for people to *not* get a
    Telecom contractor out when they're told that it could (with "most likely"
    being inferred as, of course, they know better then you do) cost a small
    fortune.

    ~misfit~, Oct 13, 2007
  16. John

    Gordy Guest

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:12:25 +1300, Sticky <>
    wrote:

    >Since last Saturday I've been disconnected every few minutes which is
    >bloody annoying. It'll come back up after 5 minutes then off again, not
    >straight away but after a few minutes.
    >
    >Orcon support sent me a form letter that everyone with this complaint
    >gets. Bloody useless, I've changed nothing. Before this it was stable.
    >
    >Since then despite repeated attempts to get their attention - nothing.
    >
    >The phone calls take in excess of an hour to get connected to a human,
    >this is too long.
    >
    >What are others experiencing ?

    Had a problem a year or two back with PPP dropouts and no recovery of
    the link. This was happening several times a day.

    Orcon said to check the Telecom line.

    My ADSL router (Asus AAM6000EV) status showed no physical
    disconnections when a PPP dropout occurred.
    The connect speed was very high and showed no data errors.

    Orcon did not offer any other solutions or recommendations.

    Short term solution was to reset the router if I was at my computer.
    I also set up a time clock to reset the router twice a day.

    Got sick of that and upgraded to a more modern Dynalink router
    (RTA1335). That is what Orcon was offering at the time.
    The Dynalink router seems to recover gracefully after a PPP drop out.
    That was good for about a year.

    However, recently I have been getting the occasional PPP dropout that
    doesn't recover.

    Cheers

    Gordy.

    Gordy, Oct 14, 2007
  17. In message <1192268873.280203@ftpsrv1>, John wrote:

    > I'm told that Orcon are great as long as you don't have problems.

    You could say that about pretty much everything, really. :)

    +1 QOTW!

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 25, 2007