Orcon and bad pings

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brendan, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    I thought I would ask if others are also getting the extremely bad
    lag/pings through Orcon UBS at the moment. National servers can have lag as
    high as 400ms.

    --

    .... Brendan

    127039 +(5796)- [X]

    <wolf> 1. Save every Free Credit Card Offer you get, Put it in pile A
    <wolf> 2. Save every Free Coupon You get, put that in pile B
    <wolf> 3. Now open the credit card mail from pile A and find the Business
    Reply Mail Envelope.
    <wolf> 4. Take the coupons from pile B and stuff them in the envelope you
    hold
    in your hand.
    <wolf> 5. Drop the stuffed to the brim envelopes in your mail and walk away
    whistling.
    <wolf> I have now received two phone calls from the credit card companies
    telling me that they received a stuffed envelope with coupons rather
    then my application. They informed me that it they are not pleased
    that
    they footed the bill for the crap I sent them. I reply with "It says
    Business Reply Mail" I'm suggesting coupons to you to ensure that
    your
    business is more successful. They promptly hang up on me.
    <wolf> Now, I did this for about a month before it got boring, so I got an
    added idea! I added exactly 33 cents worth of pennies to the
    envelope
    so they paid EXTRA due to the weight. I got a call informing me
    about
    the money, I said it was a mistake and I demanded my change back.
    After
    yelling at the clerk and then to the supervisor they agreed to my
    demands and cut me a check for the money. I hold in my hand at this
    very moment a check from GTE Visa for exactly 33 cents.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 11/06/2005 1:07:57 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Brendan wrote:
    > I thought I would ask if others are also getting the extremely bad
    > lag/pings through Orcon UBS at the moment. National servers can have lag as
    > high as 400ms.

    Orcon performance on 256k UBS has been poor for me for a week or so now.
    Haven't noticed high ping times, but certainly some pages have been slow
    to respond and connections to sites have been failing regularly.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Brendan wrote:
    >> I thought I would ask if others are also getting the extremely bad
    >> lag/pings through Orcon UBS at the moment. National servers can have
    >> lag as high as 400ms.

    > Orcon performance on 256k UBS has been poor for me for a week or so
    > now. Haven't noticed high ping times, but certainly some pages have
    > been slow to respond and connections to sites have been failing
    > regularly.

    I have both problems, some pages are so slow to load that I find myself
    using www.speedtest.co.nz a couple of times a day. You can imagine my
    disbelief when it virtually *always* comes up reasonable. Could the page
    being set up by Orcon have anything to do with this?

    Also my pingtimes suxor and I get multi-second lags as a matter of course.
    The only reason I'm still with them is financial (churn fee) and inertia, or
    apathy.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:41:35 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I have both problems, some pages are so slow to load that I find myself
    > using www.speedtest.co.nz a couple of times a day. You can imagine my
    > disbelief when it virtually *always* comes up reasonable. Could the page
    > being set up by Orcon have anything to do with this?

    Sounds like Orcon's international bandwidth is fucked.

    I'm getting real tired of Orcon's half-arsed behaviour. I am beyond angry
    with it and right on into 'leaving as soon as'.

    1. laughable turn around times for phone calls to helpdesk.

    2. just as bad for email.

    3. months worth of trouble from the news server - which they have finally
    seemed to fix, right after such market leaders as Mongolia and Somalia...

    4. Slow to useless performance of their 2mbit UBS.

    > Also my pingtimes suxor and I get multi-second lags as a matter of course.
    > The only reason I'm still with them is financial (churn fee) and inertia, or
    > apathy.

    Yeah bit the same for me.

    But I am moving. There is no price advantage between Orcon and anyone else,
    including telecom. But atleast with telecom I might be able to compete in
    the odd action FPS.

    --

    .... Brendan

    99835 +(8113)- [X]

    <Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
    <TheXPhial> vaccuums
    <Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
    <TheXPhial> black holes
    <Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
    <TheXPhial> lava?

    Note: All my comments are copyright 11/06/2005 1:24:47 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 07:50:09 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >> I thought I would ask if others are also getting the extremely bad
    >> lag/pings through Orcon UBS at the moment. National servers can have lag as
    >> high as 400ms.

    > Orcon performance on 256k UBS has been poor for me for a week or so now.
    > Haven't noticed high ping times, but certainly some pages have been slow
    > to respond and connections to sites have been failing regularly.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    mm, my pages have been resonable quick, the odd download too, it's just the
    ping times in some games have doubled at least.

    I think I am heading back to jetstream. Yeah, telecom are the devil but UBS
    just does not work the way it should. the .gov needs to lay the smack down
    real hard on telecom. AND it's management.

    --

    .... Brendan

    99060 +(13586)- [X]

    t0rbad> so there i was in this hallway right
    BlackAdder> i believe i speak for all of us when i say...
    BlackAdder> WRONG BTICH
    BlackAdder> IM SICK OF YOU
    BlackAdder> AND YOUR LAME STORIES
    BlackAdder> NOBODY HERE THINKS YOURE FUNNY
    BlackAdder> NOBODY HERE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR STORIES
    BlackAdder> IN FACT
    BlackAdder> IF YOU DIED RIGHT NOW
    BlackAdder> I DON"T THINK NOBODY WOULD CARE
    BlackAdder> SO WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT FAG
    *** t0rbad sets mode: +b BlackAdder*!*@*.*
    *** BlackAdder has been kicked my t0rbad ( )
    t0rbad> so there i was in this hallway right
    CRCError> right
    heartless> Right.
    r3v> right

    Note: All my comments are copyright 11/06/2005 1:21:19 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Brendan

    Mutley Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >The Other Guy wrote:
    >> Brendan wrote:
    >>> I thought I would ask if others are also getting the extremely bad
    >>> lag/pings through Orcon UBS at the moment. National servers can have
    >>> lag as high as 400ms.

    >> Orcon performance on 256k UBS has been poor for me for a week or so
    >> now. Haven't noticed high ping times, but certainly some pages have
    >> been slow to respond and connections to sites have been failing
    >> regularly.

    >I have both problems, some pages are so slow to load that I find myself
    >using www.speedtest.co.nz a couple of times a day. You can imagine my
    >disbelief when it virtually *always* comes up reasonable. Could the page
    >being set up by Orcon have anything to do with this?
    >
    >Also my pingtimes suxor and I get multi-second lags as a matter of course.
    >The only reason I'm still with them is financial (churn fee) and inertia, or
    >apathy.

    Just ran this test now from my Orcon 256 k UBS

    Speed Location Hosted By
    246.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    88.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    249.7 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    172.6 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    195.6 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 195.0 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 184.1 kbps

    However when i ran a test TCPiQ Line spped meter I get good speed but
    latency of around 400ms. Tuesday was the best day at just over 100
    ms

    Mutley, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    <Selective snippage>

    > I'm getting real tired of Orcon's half-arsed behaviour. I am beyond
    > angry with it and right on into 'leaving as soon as'.
    >
    > 3. months worth of trouble from the news server - which they have
    > finally seemed to fix, right after such market leaders as Mongolia
    > and Somalia...

    "Seemed to fix" is the right phrase. I 'subscribe' to
    alt.books.raymond-feist and have been holding a few conversations there,
    some with the man himself. (One of my favourite authors). The group has
    always been a low-traffic group but I had been surprised at no posts showing
    up for two weeks+ then 20-odd in one day. "Spam" thought I when I saw the
    number. However it turned out to be all the posts for the last couple of
    weeks or more, some addressed to me, asking me questions/supplying answers.
    I think I've missed a couple of the folks, maybe they looked in for a day or
    so then stopped. Either that or Orcon's server is constipated again as this
    happened (approximately) a week ago and I've seen no new posts since then
    either.

    Thank Gawd for NZ DIY'ers setting up their own servers. Dave, if you're
    reading this, any chance of adding the above group? Thanks.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 12, 2005
  8. On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 01:59:13 UTC, Brendan <>
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 07:50:09 +1200, The Other Guy wrote:
    >
    > > Brendan wrote:
    > >> I thought I would ask if others are also getting the extremely bad
    > >> lag/pings through Orcon UBS at the moment. National servers can have lag as
    > >> high as 400ms.

    > > Orcon performance on 256k UBS has been poor for me for a week or so now.
    > > Haven't noticed high ping times, but certainly some pages have been slow
    > > to respond and connections to sites have been failing regularly.
    > >
    > > The Other Guy

    > mm, my pages have been resonable quick, the odd download too, it's just the
    > ping times in some games have doubled at least.
    >
    > I think I am heading back to jetstream. Yeah, telecom are the devil but UBS
    > just does not work the way it should. the .gov needs to lay the smack down
    > real hard on telecom. AND it's management.

    Yes, the government has a lot to answer for here - they should just
    tell Telecom to fix all the UBS problems they seem to have
    deliberately created, or they will pass a bill fining them $500,000
    per day of reported UBS problems.

    Last month I changed to a World-net 256 kibit/s (32 kibytes/s)
    unlimited volume ADSL connection, and I have found that there is
    traffic shaping that prevents most ports from working at more than 4
    kibytes/s to international IP addresses! This includes SMTP and NNTP.
    Connections to World-net's servers run at full speed, and I have not
    tried any other NZ servers yet. (Is there an NZ NNTP server I could
    try?) World-net (http://www.worldnet.co.nz) tell me that it is
    Telecom doing this. They tell me they have their own international
    connections (and are a bandwidth provider to other ISPs as well), so
    Telecom has absoulutely no reason for doing any traffic shaping like
    this. And to be able to do it, Telecom would have to intercept the
    ATM packets that the ADSL connection is sending to World-net, and
    break them down to TCP/IP and put them through through a very large
    capacity router to do that sort of shaping. I would bet that Telecom
    is doing this on most (all?) UBS conections, not just for World-net.
    It is possibly different region by region though - I am in Lower Hutt.

    I have discovered that, for some reason, Telecom are not doing any
    shaping on port 23. The two big NNTP servers I talk to (Easynews and
    Newshosting) both allow connections on port 23 instead of 119, and I
    can get full speed to both of them on port 23. So if the server you
    are talking to can use port 23 instead of the standard port, it is
    definitely worth trying that.

    Port 23 solves the worst problems for me, but when the moderator on
    one Yahoo mailing list I subcribe to approves a bunch of messages, my
    SMTP server gets 20 or so connections all at once fighting for just 4
    kibytes/s of bandwidth and most of them timeout before they complete
    the message transfer. GRRR!

    Anyway, I rang World-net again about this on Friday, and they told me
    that they had been on a conference call with Telecom and people from
    the Communications Commissioner's office trying to get Telecom to fix
    this, and Telecom apparently told them something along the lines of
    "its a mistake, caused by how our router setup worked in the past for
    ADSL" and "we have been installing a new router setup that will do
    proper traffic shaping that only does congestion control and it should
    be working late next week". If true, then all of these sort of UBS
    problems caused by Telecom will likely be changing sometime over the
    next week, and hopefully getting better, and if we are really lucky,
    going away altogether. Any caused by the UBS ISP, of course, will
    still be up to them. So at this point, I would recommend to anyone
    thinking of changing ISP again to hold off for a week or two to see
    what happens.

    Stephen Worthington, Jun 12, 2005
  9. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > Anyway, I rang World-net again about this on Friday, and they told me
    > that they had been on a conference call with Telecom and people from
    > the Communications Commissioner's office trying to get Telecom to fix
    > this, and Telecom apparently told them something along the lines of
    > "its a mistake, caused by how our router setup worked in the past for
    > ADSL" and "we have been installing a new router setup that will do
    > proper traffic shaping that only does congestion control and it should
    > be working late next week". If true, then all of these sort of UBS
    > problems caused by Telecom will likely be changing sometime over the
    > next week, and hopefully getting better, and if we are really lucky,
    > going away altogether. Any caused by the UBS ISP, of course, will
    > still be up to them. So at this point, I would recommend to anyone
    > thinking of changing ISP again to hold off for a week or two to see
    > what happens.

    Thanks for that Stephen. Fingers crossed! More arse-covering from Telecom
    huh? Mistake? Sure.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 12, 2005
  10. In article <1118552964.8ce29ae3cc291f8ec40db2faa3e3c1d4@teranews>,
    "Stephen Worthington" <> wrote:

    >Last month I changed to a World-net 256 kibit/s (32 kibytes/s) ...

    Kibibits and kibibytes. Yay. :)

    Lawrence
    (just had to express support for that
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix>)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 12, 2005
  11. Brendan

    bt Guest

    On 12 Jun 2005 17:09:19 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > Yes, the government has a lot to answer for here - they should just
    > tell Telecom to fix all the UBS problems they seem to have
    > deliberately created, or they will pass a bill fining them $500,000
    > per day of reported UBS problems.

    Just so. I think the .gov should pass legislation requiring a License to
    operate a public phone system in NZ, and as part of that license require
    them to provide certain services at prices compareable to the better
    examples over seas.

    > Last month I changed to a World-net 256 kibit/s (32 kibytes/s)
    > unlimited volume ADSL connection, and I have found that there is
    > traffic shaping that prevents most ports from working at more than 4
    > kibytes/s to international IP addresses! This includes SMTP and NNTP.
    > Connections to World-net's servers run at full speed, and I have not
    > tried any other NZ servers yet. (Is there an NZ NNTP server I could
    > try?) World-net (http://www.worldnet.co.nz) tell me that it is
    > Telecom doing this. They tell me they have their own international
    > connections (and are a bandwidth provider to other ISPs as well), so
    > Telecom has absoulutely no reason for doing any traffic shaping like
    > this. And to be able to do it, Telecom would have to intercept the
    > ATM packets that the ADSL connection is sending to World-net, and
    > break them down to TCP/IP and put them through through a very large
    > capacity router to do that sort of shaping. I would bet that Telecom
    > is doing this on most (all?) UBS conections, not just for World-net.
    > It is possibly different region by region though - I am in Lower Hutt.

    It is also possibly telecom's pathetic 24kbit per USB line game. Another
    thing they should be punished for.

    > I have discovered that, for some reason, Telecom are not doing any
    > shaping on port 23. The two big NNTP servers I talk to (Easynews and
    > Newshosting) both allow connections on port 23 instead of 119, and I
    > can get full speed to both of them on port 23. So if the server you
    > are talking to can use port 23 instead of the standard port, it is
    > definitely worth trying that.
    >
    > Port 23 solves the worst problems for me, but when the moderator on
    > one Yahoo mailing list I subcribe to approves a bunch of messages, my
    > SMTP server gets 20 or so connections all at once fighting for just 4
    > kibytes/s of bandwidth and most of them timeout before they complete
    > the message transfer. GRRR!
    >
    > Anyway, I rang World-net again about this on Friday, and they told me
    > that they had been on a conference call with Telecom and people from
    > the Communications Commissioner's office trying to get Telecom to fix
    > this, and Telecom apparently told them something along the lines of
    > "its a mistake, caused by how our router setup worked in the past for
    > ADSL" and "we have been installing a new router setup that will do
    > proper traffic shaping that only does congestion control and it should
    > be working late next week". If true, then all of these sort of UBS
    > problems caused by Telecom will likely be changing sometime over the
    > next week, and hopefully getting better, and if we are really lucky,
    > going away altogether. Any caused by the UBS ISP, of course, will
    > still be up to them. So at this point, I would recommend to anyone
    > thinking of changing ISP again to hold off for a week or two to see
    > what happens.

    Umm, will have to see. I'm not happy with the crap performance so far - I
    am not paying 50% just so occasionally I can see a file download at
    100k/sec.

    I want pings that make action games possible. The gov needs to look into
    telecoms anti-voip crap also.

    --

    .... Brendan

    [sig on holiday while main comp is repaired]

    bt, Jun 12, 2005
  12. Brendan

    bt Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:58:19 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > "Seemed to fix" is the right phrase. I 'subscribe' to
    > alt.books.raymond-feist and have been holding a few conversations there,
    > some with the man himself. (One of my favourite authors).

    lol, I like most of his books also. Havn't read any for years though as I
    got tired of fantasy and went to hard SF.

    Still, have good memories of the Magician series.

    >The group has
    > always been a low-traffic group but I had been surprised at no posts showing
    > up for two weeks+ then 20-odd in one day. "Spam" thought I when I saw the
    > number. However it turned out to be all the posts for the last couple of
    > weeks or more, some addressed to me, asking me questions/supplying answers.
    > I think I've missed a couple of the folks, maybe they looked in for a day or
    > so then stopped. Either that or Orcon's server is constipated again as this
    > happened (approximately) a week ago and I've seen no new posts since then
    > either.
    >
    > Thank Gawd for NZ DIY'ers setting up their own servers. Dave, if you're
    > reading this, any chance of adding the above group? Thanks.

    Yeah it's pretty slack all right. Pity really, but seems to be par for the
    course: ISP starts off well, has actual customer service, etc, and then
    starts to get bigger. At a certain size they just do not care any more.
    Happened to IHUG, now Orcon...

    I can still remember the days when you called up IHUG you would actually
    get someone who knew what they were doing on the phone. Same with Orcon.
    Now...

    You have to battle through unreasonable amounts of time waiting, only to
    find the person on the phone is not knowledgeable and has f-all authority
    to DO anything and is usually less informed about current events than YOU
    are.

    --

    .... Brendan

    bt, Jun 12, 2005
  13. Brendan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bt wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:58:19 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> "Seemed to fix" is the right phrase. I 'subscribe' to
    >> alt.books.raymond-feist and have been holding a few conversations
    >> there, some with the man himself. (One of my favourite authors).

    > lol, I like most of his books also. Havn't read any for years though
    > as I got tired of fantasy and went to hard SF.

    I did it the other way, started with hard SF (have you read any of Carl
    Sagan's fiction? Whew! *hard* alright) and branched into fantasy. Read both
    now.

    > Still, have good memories of the Magician series.

    His new Series, The Darkwar, still has a couple of the same characters. It
    follows on from a series called Conclave of Shadows and the last book of
    that series, Exile's Return, was awesome.

    <snip>

    >> Thank Gawd for NZ DIY'ers setting up their own servers. Dave, if
    >> you're reading this, any chance of adding the above group? Thanks.

    > Yeah it's pretty slack all right. Pity really, but seems to be par
    > for the course: ISP starts off well, has actual customer service,
    > etc, and then starts to get bigger. At a certain size they just do
    > not care any more. Happened to IHUG, now Orcon...
    >
    > I can still remember the days when you called up IHUG you would
    > actually get someone who knew what they were doing on the phone. Same
    > with Orcon. Now...
    >
    > You have to battle through unreasonable amounts of time waiting, only
    > to find the person on the phone is not knowledgeable and has f-all
    > authority to DO anything and is usually less informed about current
    > events than YOU are.

    Exactly. It could all be moot anyway. My personal circumstances have changed
    and I find myself with even less money than I had before. If Orcon UBS
    improves dramatically in the next few weeks I'll stick with it, otherwise
    I'm going back to dial up. I'm not going to eat instant noodles every day of
    the week so I can pay for the crap service I'm currently getting.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 13, 2005
  14. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:20:18 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> lol, I like most of his books also. Havn't read any for years though
    >> as I got tired of fantasy and went to hard SF.

    > I did it the other way, started with hard SF (have you read any of Carl
    > Sagan's fiction? Whew! *hard* alright) and branched into fantasy. Read both
    > now.

    No havn't read any sagan. I like Baxter though.

    Read Fantasy novels for about 15 years.

    >> Still, have good memories of the Magician series.

    > His new Series, The Darkwar, still has a couple of the same characters. It
    > follows on from a series called Conclave of Shadows and the last book of
    > that series, Exile's Return, was awesome.

    Might check them out if our poxy library/council ever get them in...

    We have to pay $1 sometimes $2 a week to loan a book. Is that common
    elsewhere ?

    >> You have to battle through unreasonable amounts of time waiting, only
    >> to find the person on the phone is not knowledgeable and has f-all
    >> authority to DO anything and is usually less informed about current
    >> events than YOU are.

    > Exactly. It could all be moot anyway. My personal circumstances have changed
    > and I find myself with even less money than I had before. If Orcon UBS
    > improves dramatically in the next few weeks I'll stick with it, otherwise
    > I'm going back to dial up. I'm not going to eat instant noodles every day of
    > the week so I can pay for the crap service I'm currently getting.

    Yeah know the feeling. I do get good speed the majority of time, but it is
    not what it should be (I should be getting 200k/sec for most things), and
    the ping times are SHIT. The pings have improved a bit lately, but we will
    see if it stays that way.

    If the .gov was worth the $50 undies they buy, they'd be putting some hurt
    on telecom right now. (not just telecom either - the banks, supermarkets,
    petrol stations, etc all need a bit of a scare. Fucking cabals, all of
    them).

    --

    .... Brendan

    262353 +(4760)- [X]