    MacOS 10.3.9.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 26, 2006

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Hi there.
    >
    > Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
    > several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY pissing me off. What the HELL
    > is happening these days?

    No, everything fine here - not good, but typically similar to what I've
    come to expect from ADSL. Longest connections for last month were only
    13, 9 and 5 days, (with a spate of disconnects around midday midway
    through the month). That is better than it was, say, 6 months ago.

    256K UBS unlimited plan, Wellington.

    And without even thinking about it, I see I did 30GB last month, too.
    -=rjh=-, Mar 26, 2006

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    k Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Hi there.
    >
    > Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
    > several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY pissing me off. What the HELL
    > is happening these days?
    >
    > I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected running
    > MacOS 10.3.9.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    I have a USB Alcatel Speedtouch (aka "Green Frog") and it seems to do
    alright for me.

    My ipcop box keeps the connection running for me so I never really think
    about it but now that I look I do seem to get at least one disconnection
    each night.

    --

    March 19, 2006

    03:31:05 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    03:31:13 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    03:32:35 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    03:32:40 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
    05:48:24 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    05:48:32 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    05:49:34 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    05:49:40 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

    March 20, 2006

    <no ppp events, smooth sailing>

    March 21, 2006

    06:43:35 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    06:43:41 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    06:44:38 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    06:44:53 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

    March 22, 2006

    23:04:07 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    23:04:12 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    23:05:14 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    23:05:22 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

    March 23, 2006

    08:57:17 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    08:57:25 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    08:58:12 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    08:58:37 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
    08:59:49 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    08:59:55 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    09:01:13 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    09:01:55 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    09:02:02 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
    09:03:21 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    09:03:29 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    09:04:16 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    09:04:28 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
    09:06:01 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    09:06:09 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    09:07:26 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    09:07:41 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
    09:09:32 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    09:09:40 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    09:09:52 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

    March 24, 2006

    00:48:56 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    00:49:05 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    00:49:21 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

    March 25, 2006

    03:35:36 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp0
    03:35:38 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    03:39:02 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    03:42:25 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    03:45:48 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    03:49:12 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    03:52:45 ipcop Dialling orcon.net.nz.
    03:53:43 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0

    March 26, 2006

    <no ppp events, smooth sailing>

    March 27, 2006

    <no ppp events, smooth sailing>

    --

    It is fairly normal for this to happen anyway as per the nature of a
    high speed connection over Telecom's highly volatile ancient wiring so

    To be honest with you, I think it is Telecom and their UBS system. It's
    always had a third world feeling to it :)
    k, Mar 26, 2006
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Philip Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Hi there.
    >
    > Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
    > several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY pissing me off. What the HELL
    > is happening these days?
    >
    > I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected running
    > MacOS 10.3.9.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Not happening here (Bay of Islands) in two separate locations on two
    different Orcon plans. i did have dropout problems at one location until
    I replaced the el-cheapo modem/router I got "free" with the connection,
    and on advice from people here installed a Billion router/modem, which
    just never lets go and hasn't dropped out (or stayed dropped out) since
    I installed it.

    Philip
    Philip, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Hi there.
    >
    > Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
    > several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY pissing me off. What the HELL
    > is happening these days?
    >
    > I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected
    > running MacOS 10.3.9.

    Hi Jamie,

    Same problem I had just before I dropped OrCON.

    Have you got the latest firmware on that router? I have the 510v4 as well,
    excellent bit of kit. It didn't make a blind bit of difference to my
    connections when I upgraded my firmware and I had to re-set all permissions
    etc. as the .ini file from previous versions isn't compatible but, now I'm
    used to it, I like the new look and feel of the 4.3.2.6.0 firmware.

    If you don't have it and want to upgrade it I can give you the best site to
    get it from. However, it won't fix your problem with OrCON. I spent weeks on
    a similar problem before I came up with a solution that fixed it completely.
    I changed ISPs. No more constant disconnects.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 27, 2006
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    k wrote:
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> Hi there.
    >>
    >> Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
    >> several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY pissing me off. What the
    >> HELL is happening these days?
    >>
    >> I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected
    >> running MacOS 10.3.9.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet

    > I have a USB Alcatel Speedtouch (aka "Green Frog") and it seems to do
    > alright for me.

    AKA Stingray. I have one of those too as a back-up unit. Good little "plug
    in, insert CD and go" modem.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 27, 2006
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mike Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Hi there.
    >
    > Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
    > several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY pissing me off. What the HELL
    > is happening these days?
    >
    > I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected running
    > MacOS 10.3.9.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Hi
    I've got a similar problem though it is throughout the day.
    Im trialing a friends router just to see if it is the router or not.
    orCON support has been next to useless appart from one guy last night
    on the phone who actually seemed to know what he was talking about.
    Mike, Mar 27, 2006
  8. ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Hi there.
    > >
    > > Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
    > > several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY pissing me off. What the HELL
    > > is happening these days?
    > >
    > > I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected
    > > running MacOS 10.3.9.

    > Hi Jamie,
    >
    > Same problem I had just before I dropped OrCON.
    >
    > Have you got the latest firmware on that router? I have the 510v4 as well,
    > excellent bit of kit. It didn't make a blind bit of difference to my
    > connections when I upgraded my firmware and I had to re-set all permissions
    > etc. as the .ini file from previous versions isn't compatible but, now I'm
    > used to it, I like the new look and feel of the 4.3.2.6.0 firmware.
    >
    > If you don't have it and want to upgrade it I can give you the best site to
    > get it from. However, it won't fix your problem with OrCON. I spent weeks on
    > a similar problem before I came up with a solution that fixed it completely.
    > I changed ISPs. No more constant disconnects.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Nah, I'm using 4.2.7.16.0 on advice from several people, including one
    of the Speedtouch techs I got on the phone. I'm told it's supposed to be
    more stable.

    Oh, and I agree about the 510v4 - it has been an outstanding little
    router. It runs cool, has NEVER crashed, and when Orcon/Telecom/lines
    haven't screwed my connection, it's been rock solid stable.

    It's a real pity Thompson seem to be ignoring the NZ market. I see none
    of their very latest ADSL routers on the NZ site. When ADSL 2+ arrives
    it looks like I'll have to buy elsewhere *sighs*

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 27, 2006
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >>> Hi there.
    >>>
    >>> Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection
    >>> disconnecting several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY pissing me
    >>> off. What the HELL is happening these days?
    >>>
    >>> I have a Speedtouch 510v4 ADSL router, with four Macs connected
    >>> running MacOS 10.3.9.

    >> Hi Jamie,
    >>
    >> Same problem I had just before I dropped OrCON.
    >>
    >> Have you got the latest firmware on that router? I have the 510v4 as
    >> well, excellent bit of kit. It didn't make a blind bit of difference
    >> to my connections when I upgraded my firmware and I had to re-set
    >> all permissions etc. as the .ini file from previous versions isn't
    >> compatible but, now I'm used to it, I like the new look and feel of
    >> the 4.3.2.6.0 firmware.
    >>
    >> If you don't have it and want to upgrade it I can give you the best
    >> site to get it from. However, it won't fix your problem with OrCON.
    >> I spent weeks on a similar problem before I came up with a solution
    >> that fixed it completely. I changed ISPs. No more constant
    >> disconnects.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Nah, I'm using 4.2.7.16.0 on advice from several people, including one
    > of the Speedtouch techs I got on the phone. I'm told it's supposed to
    > be more stable.

    Heh. I had no choice in the matter from Orcon's hinderdesk, they basically
    told me they wouldn't continue troubleshooting my connection unless I had
    the latest firmware installed.

    > Oh, and I agree about the 510v4 - it has been an outstanding little
    > router. It runs cool, has NEVER crashed, and when Orcon/Telecom/lines
    > haven't screwed my connection, it's been rock solid stable.

    Yep, great router.

    > It's a real pity Thompson seem to be ignoring the NZ market. I see
    > none of their very latest ADSL routers on the NZ site. When ADSL 2+
    > arrives it looks like I'll have to buy elsewhere *sighs*

    That's a shame, I didn't realise that Thompson weren't catering to the NZ
    market.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 27, 2006
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    nzwarrior Guest

    I was having the same problem with the connection being dead in the
    morning, but it went away for a wee while, now the problem is back
    again this morning. (Botany, Auckland)
    nzwarrior, Mar 27, 2006
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    colinco Guest

    In article Jamie Kahn Genet says...
    > It's a real pity Thompson seem to be ignoring the NZ market. I see none
    > of their very latest ADSL routers on the NZ site. When ADSL 2+ arrives
    > it looks like I'll have to buy elsewhere *sighs*

    AtlasGentech show 536 and 546 ASDL2+ capable.
    colinco, Mar 28, 2006
  12. On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:50:57 +1200, colinco <>
    wrote:

    >In article Jamie Kahn Genet says...
    >> It's a real pity Thompson seem to be ignoring the NZ market. I see none
    >> of their very latest ADSL routers on the NZ site. When ADSL 2+ arrives
    >> it looks like I'll have to buy elsewhere *sighs*
    >>

    >AtlasGentech show 536 and 546 ASDL2+ capable.

    I was just doing a little research on ADSL2+, and it looks like you
    need the ADSL2+ Annex M option if you want to get the 2 Mibit/s upload
    speed. Otherwise you can only get up to 1 Mibit/s, as with standard
    ADSL. Just one more thing to watch out for when shopping.
    Stephen Worthington, Mar 28, 2006
  13. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mike Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >>> Hi there.
    >>>
    >>> Is anyone else experiencing their Orcon ADSL connection disconnecting
    >>> several times EVERY morning? It's REALLY pissing me off. What the HELL
    >>> is happening these days?
    >>>
    >>>Snip

    I've just had Transfield round and they tell me that the telecom
    link between my local exchange and the next exchange on route
    to Airedale St is overloading at peak times and the cause of my
    dropouts. Apparently others in my town are suffering the same
    between 5pm and 11pm mainly.
    These overloads, or lack of throughput/bandwidth cause the PPP servers
    to drop connections.
    Telecom need to reconfigure the systems in the exchanges but are not
    willing to do so for whatever reasons currently. :(
    Mike, Apr 3, 2006
  14. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jonno Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > I've just had Transfield round and they tell me that the telecom
    > link between my local exchange and the next exchange on route
    > to Airedale St is overloading at peak times and the cause of my
    > dropouts. Apparently others in my town are suffering the same
    > between 5pm and 11pm mainly.
    > These overloads, or lack of throughput/bandwidth cause the PPP servers
    > to drop connections.
    > Telecom need to reconfigure the systems in the exchanges but are not
    > willing to do so for whatever reasons currently. :(

    Write to your MP and David Cunliffe and let them know the real facts of what
    people have to put up from Telecom
    Jonno, Apr 4, 2006
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordy Guest

    Yep... has been happening here for some time.
    Noticed in the mornings just before heading off to work.
    Frustrating.
    Napier, Orcon 2Mbps/128kbps
    Asus AAM600EV with latest firmware.
    Never used to happen

    Gordy
    Gordy, Apr 9, 2006
  16. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordy Guest

    Asus AAM6000EV....

    Gordy, Apr 9, 2006
  17. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordy wrote:
    > Yep... has been happening here for some time.
    > Noticed in the mornings just before heading off to work.
    > Frustrating.
    > Napier, Orcon 2Mbps/128kbps
    > Asus AAM600EV with latest firmware.
    > Never used to happen

    I had exactly the same problem with OrCON, multiple disconnects daily. I
    changed to Actrix primarilly because of OrCON's refusal to do anything about
    it after making me run around in circles for a couple of weeks. Then they
    told me that it was considered acceptable. I blew my top and told them that
    their service wasn't acceptable to me and they'd hear within days from my
    new providor.

    I've been constantly connected with Actrix since my last router re-boot,
    March 25th. 17 days straight (Just checked router log). I don't think I
    *ever* got that long with OrCON during the 1 year+ I was with them.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Apr 10, 2006