Orcon Ad gone

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > I notice that the ads seem to be gone from Ocon customers posts.
    >
    > also, just a minor thing, I found this when searching for some of
    > Brendans "observations" about if most companies offer a server, all have
    > to, or state otherwise. This isn't it, but may be of interest to you lot.
    >
    > http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/servicefailures.html

    Nope, but it did say on that page that if the service is agreed to then
    they must provide a reasonable service or if they advertise a service
    which I think you could say that they have done by posting in a publick
    forum, i.e, this NG that a certain service is not only available but has
    been upgraded.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Would sombody care to point out which ad is being discussed?

    Thanks,

    TOG

    The Other Guy, Nov 3, 2004
  4. Nevermind, I worked it out.

    For anyone else who didn't get it right away, they are talking about the
    newsfeeds.com advertising at the bottom of posts :)

    TOG

    The Other Guy, Nov 3, 2004
  5. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 04 Nov 2004
    09:37:01 +1300, Chris Mayhew <no^^^@no.net> says...
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > I notice that the ads seem to be gone from Ocon customers posts.
    > >
    > > also, just a minor thing, I found this when searching for some of
    > > Brendans "observations" about if most companies offer a server, all have
    > > to, or state otherwise. This isn't it, but may be of interest to you lot.
    > >
    > > http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/servicefailures.html
    > >

    > Nope, but it did say on that page that if the service is agreed to then
    > they must provide a reasonable service or if they advertise a service
    > which I think you could say that they have done by posting in a publick
    > forum, i.e, this NG that a certain service is not only available but has
    > been upgraded.

    Don';'t think there is any question of that, but there is a question over
    whether they are required to provide a news server in the first place.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 3, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Would sombody care to point out which ad is being discussed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > TOG
    >
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> I notice that the ads seem to be gone from Ocon customers posts.
    >>
    >> also, just a minor thing, I found this when searching for some of
    >> Brendans "observations" about if most companies offer a server, all
    >> have to, or state otherwise. This isn't it, but may be of interest to
    >> you lot.
    >>
    >> http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/servicefailures.html

    This one, though apparently it is now gone. Of course people could
    always have put their own sig file at the end of their posts with the
    "-- " so it didn't get reposted all the time......

    News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
    Newsgroups

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 3, 2004
  7. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 04 Nov 2004
    09:41:16 +1300, The Other Guy <> says...
    > Would sombody care to point out which ad is being discussed?

    The newsfeeds banner at the bottom of each outgoing message.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 3, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 04 Nov 2004
    > 09:37:01 +1300, Chris Mayhew <no^^^@no.net> says...
    >
    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>>I notice that the ads seem to be gone from Ocon customers posts.
    >>>
    >>>also, just a minor thing, I found this when searching for some of
    >>>Brendans "observations" about if most companies offer a server, all have
    >>>to, or state otherwise. This isn't it, but may be of interest to you lot.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/servicefailures.html
    >>>

    >>Nope, but it did say on that page that if the service is agreed to then
    >>they must provide a reasonable service or if they advertise a service
    >>which I think you could say that they have done by posting in a publick
    >>forum, i.e, this NG that a certain service is not only available but has
    >>been upgraded.

    > Don';'t think there is any question of that, but there is a question over
    > whether they are required to provide a news server in the first place.

    Whether they are required to in the first place is a moot point in this
    case as they have advertised it as a service.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 4, 2004
  9. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >> Don';'t think there is any question of that, but there is a question
    >> over whether they are required to provide a news server in the first
    >> place.

    > Whether they are required to in the first place is a moot point in this
    > case as they have advertised it as a service.

    no they havent, unless mentioning it on their webpage, one page only, is
    advertising it.
    personally I dont see it as advertising, only one mention on their
    server page.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> Don';'t think there is any question of that, but there is a question
    >>> over whether they are required to provide a news server in the first
    >>> place.

    >> Whether they are required to in the first place is a moot point in
    >> this case as they have advertised it as a service.

    > no they havent, unless mentioning it on their webpage, one page only, is
    > advertising it.
    > personally I dont see it as advertising, only one mention on their
    > server page.

    just tp be clear.
    http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/settings/nz?highlight=news.orcon.net.nz

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 09:16:05 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >I notice that the ads seem to be gone from Ocon customers posts.
    >
    >also, just a minor thing, I found this when searching for some of
    >Brendans "observations" about if most companies offer a server

    <snip>

    You must have servers on the brain Dave!

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 4, 2004
  12. Chris Mayhew said the following on 4/11/2004 13:57:
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 04 Nov
    >> 2004 09:37:01 +1300, Chris Mayhew <no^^^@no.net> says...

    >>> Nope, but it did say on that page that if the service is agreed to
    >>> then they must provide a reasonable service or if they advertise a
    >>> service which I think you could say that they have done by posting in
    >>> a publick forum, i.e, this NG that a certain service is not only
    >>> available but has been upgraded.

    >> Don';'t think there is any question of that, but there is a question
    >> over whether they are required to provide a news server in the first
    >> place.

    > Whether they are required to in the first place is a moot point in this
    > case as they have advertised it as a service.

    Excuse me where have they advertised it as a service?

    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    A lie can travel halfway around the world
    while the truth is putting on its shoes.-Mark Twain

    Collector»NZ, Nov 4, 2004
  13. DoggNZ wrote:
    >>also, just a minor thing, I found this when searching for some of
    >>Brendans "observations" about if most companies offer a server

    > <snip>
    > You must have servers on the brain Dave!

    it's been a long day.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 4/11/2004 14:03:

    >>> Whether they are required to in the first place is a moot point in
    >>> this case as they have advertised it as a service.

    >> no they havent, unless mentioning it on their webpage, one page only,
    >> is advertising it.
    >> personally I dont see it as advertising, only one mention on their
    >> server page.

    > just tp be clear.
    > http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/settings/nz?highlight=news.orcon.net.nz

    And nthat is not by any stretch advertising it, it is only saying its
    there use it by doing this if you want to.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 4, 2004
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:16:23 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >DoggNZ wrote:
    >>>also, just a minor thing, I found this when searching for some of
    >>>Brendans "observations" about if most companies offer a server

    >> <snip>
    >> You must have servers on the brain Dave!

    >it's been a long day.

    Out of curiosity, what models do you have there? I'm guessing Dell's?
    We had a few issues with the power supplies going on some a while
    back. May have been a faulty batch.

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 4, 2004
  16. DoggNZ wrote:
    > Out of curiosity, what models do you have there? I'm guessing Dell's?
    > We had a few issues with the power supplies going on some a while
    > back. May have been a faulty batch.

    GX240/260/270/280 all in all, about 1500 of them.

    The 240s were great, except only had SDram so were a bit slower, but
    only noticible to IT and the geeky staff.
    The 260s had quite a few Hdd failures, all maxtor
    The 270s had ram failures, but were better(less failures) than the ones
    above.
    The 280s had PSU failures, although we're also seeing a few Hdd failures
    too(again maxtors).

    We also have a few SX260/270/280
    They were all absolute crap, almost all have had hdd replaced, and quite
    a few have had mobo done.
    The SX range use laptop components a lot.

    The last of the IBM's go back in January, the first of the HP's are here.

    Personally I'd go for Dell over IBM, they seem to be better/more upfront
    at handling issues.
    HP? we'll have to wait and see.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >>> Don';'t think there is any question of that, but there is a question
    >>> over whether they are required to provide a news server in the first
    >>> place.

    >> Whether they are required to in the first place is a moot point in
    >> this case as they have advertised it as a service.

    > no they havent, unless mentioning it on their webpage, one page only, is
    > advertising it.
    > personally I dont see it as advertising, only one mention on their
    > server page.

    No, I was refering to the fact that Orcon people have been to this news
    group and promoted the new new service, I call that advertising or
    promoting a service. Consider the fact that most of the people that
    would use that service would also read this NG, therefore, they have
    reach a high % of their intended target customers for that service.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 4, 2004
  18. Chris Mayhew said the following on 4/11/2004 16:06:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> Whether they are required to in the first place is a moot point in
    >>> this case as they have advertised it as a service.

    >> no they havent, unless mentioning it on their webpage, one page only,
    >> is advertising it.
    >> personally I dont see it as advertising, only one mention on their
    >> server page.
    >>

    > No, I was refering to the fact that Orcon people have been to this news
    > group and promoted the new new service, I call that advertising or
    > promoting a service. Consider the fact that most of the people that
    > would use that service would also read this NG, therefore, they have
    > reach a high % of their intended target customers for that service.

    Bull dust a few curtosy posts in here by the Techo and CEO do not
    constitue advertising since they where advising existing users not
    actively soliciting new users. Show me where either Craig or Seeby
    posted anything like "Come join us and get the use of our wonderful all
    tits and arse new server" /sarcasim off...

    Collector»NZ, Nov 4, 2004
  19. Chris Mayhew wrote:

    >>> Whether they are required to in the first place is a moot point in
    >>> this case as they have advertised it as a service.

    >> no they havent, unless mentioning it on their webpage, one page only,
    >> is advertising it.
    >> personally I dont see it as advertising, only one mention on their
    >> server page.

    > No, I was refering to the fact that Orcon people have been to this news
    > group and promoted the new new service, I call that advertising or
    > promoting a service. Consider the fact that most of the people that
    > would use that service would also read this NG, therefore, they have
    > reach a high % of their intended target customers for that service.

    they only posted to say that they were dropping doing their own, and
    getting someone else to do it.
    not really promotion, not really worth mentioning I'd have thought.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 4, 2004
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:34:46 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >DoggNZ wrote:
    >> Out of curiosity, what models do you have there? I'm guessing Dell's?
    >> We had a few issues with the power supplies going on some a while
    >> back. May have been a faulty batch.

    >GX240/260/270/280 all in all, about 1500 of them.
    >
    >The 240s were great, except only had SDram so were a bit slower, but
    >only noticible to IT and the geeky staff.
    >The 260s had quite a few Hdd failures, all maxtor
    >The 270s had ram failures, but were better(less failures) than the ones
    >above.
    >The 280s had PSU failures, although we're also seeing a few Hdd failures
    >too(again maxtors).
    >
    >We also have a few SX260/270/280
    >They were all absolute crap, almost all have had hdd replaced, and quite
    >a few have had mobo done.
    >The SX range use laptop components a lot.
    >
    >The last of the IBM's go back in January, the first of the HP's are here.
    >
    >Personally I'd go for Dell over IBM, they seem to be better/more upfront
    >at handling issues.
    >HP? we'll have to wait and see.

    I've found the Proliant DL380 and ML350 G3 to be very reliable and the
    service is fantastic (provided by HP themselves).

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 4, 2004