  1. Which would be a more useful relational database server to learn
    nowadays: MS SQL SERVER or ORACLE?

    Thanks!
    English Teacher, Oct 21, 2003

  2. English Teacher

    John Bell Guest

    Hi

    The choice of which database system to learn will to some extent be
    determined on why you wish to learn it. In general there is a lot of
    relational theory that is universal and writing good SQL and doing correct
    design is not linked to the vendor of the database system. There will be
    system specific features that will improve performance on a given RDBMS, but
    the knowledge of how proprietary this is is important.

    In general I think that SQL Server is the better system regarding ease of
    setup and the hardware required to run the system and would therefore have
    the edge, but if you are looking for multiplatform capabilities then Sybase,
    DB2 or Oracle may be alternatives to consider.

    John

    John Bell, Oct 21, 2003

  3. English Teacher

    Noons Guest

    Re: ORACLE or SQL SERVER (MS) ? (WARNING: TROLL ALERT!)

    (English Teacher) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Which would be a more useful relational database server to learn
    > nowadays: MS SQL SERVER or ORACLE?

    This poster is a well known troll. Reply at your own risk.
    Noons, Oct 21, 2003
  4. English Teacher

    Hulse Guest

    "John Bell" <> wrote in message news:<3f94fba3$0$246$>...
    > Hi
    >
    > The choice of which database system to learn will to some extent be
    > determined on why you wish to learn it. In general there is a lot of
    > relational theory that is universal and writing good SQL and doing correct
    > design is not linked to the vendor of the database system. There will be
    > system specific features that will improve performance on a given RDBMS, but
    > the knowledge of how proprietary this is is important.
    >
    > In general I think that SQL Server is the better system regarding ease of
    > setup and the hardware required to run the system and would therefore have

    Actually when it comes to lowend hardware, Oracle and MSSQL are
    more of an even heat. Both can be deployed on meagre hardware if your
    thruput requirements are similarly meagre.
    However, Oracle will probably scale much better should your needs
    be more than trivial. Oracle runs on machines with as many as 105
    cpus, Oracle has more transparent clustering, and MSSQL doesn't
    support table/index partitioning.
    Storage and memory requirements will be similar for both
    products. You won't be able to get away with skimping on the disk
    hardware just because it's a Microsoft database. OTOH, Oracle can run
    on the same Dell/Compaq hardware that msSQL uses. Just run Linux
    rather than Solaris.

    > the edge, but if you are looking for multiplatform capabilities then Sybase,
    > DB2 or Oracle may be alternatives to consider.

    [deletia]
    Hulse, Oct 22, 2003
  5. English Teacher

    Robert C Guest

    Re: ORACLE or SQL SERVER (MS) ? (WARNING: TROLL ALERT!)

    what's a troll in this context ?

    Robert C, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Re: ORACLE or SQL SERVER (MS) ? (WARNING: TROLL ALERT!)

    Multiple cross posts to unrelated newsgroups. Of which, of course, I am now
    guilty, since I don't know which grp. to direct my reply.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Middleton, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Re: ORACLE or SQL SERVER (MS) ? (WARNING: TROLL ALERT!)

    Someone who lurks around, popping their head up occasionally, only to
    cause trouble.

    Cheers,
    Brian

    Robert C wrote:

    > what's a troll in this context ?
    >
    > "Noons" <> wrote in message
    > > (English Teacher) wrote in message

    > > > Which would be a more useful relational database server to learn
    > > > nowadays: MS SQL SERVER or ORACLE?

    > > This poster is a well known troll. Reply at your own risk.

    Brian Peasland
    dba@remove_spam.peasland.com

    the three"
    Brian Peasland, Oct 22, 2003
  8. English Teacher

    Robert C Guest

    Re: ORACLE or SQL SERVER (MS) ? (WARNING: TROLL ALERT!)

    Don't get it...
    Cause what trouble ?
    What fun/satisfaction does the troll get ?
    Most of time people do things for a reason....

    "Brian Peasland"

    Robert C, Oct 23, 2003