Oracle Database 10g given away for free

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 3, 2005

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:04:25 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > Brilliant move by oracle - while not cannibalizing their existing customers
    > (by restricting the product somewhat), but upskilling 1000's of people in
    > their software - many of whom will have future purchasing authority.
    >
    > http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html

    This was publiished on the 28th of last month
    http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/28
    A research paper released this week spells out weaknesses in the password mechanism
    for Oracle databases and describes how to break system passwords in
    minutes.

    A number of decisions made by the database maker weakens the password
    algorithm, according to Joshua Wright of the SANS Institute and Carlos Cid
    of the University of London. Passwords in Oracle databases use the account
    name to randomize the password hashing process, converts all characters to
    uppercase letters and uses a fairly weak hashing algorithm, the two
    researchers said in the paper.

    and this is the pdf detailing the above vulnerability
    http://www.sans.org/info/911/

    this was published 02/11 (presumably this morning our time)
    http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/32
    An Oracle worm posted to the Full-disclosure mailing list on Monday may be
    harmless now, but with the source code available it may not stay that way.

    The worm scans local subnets looking for other database servers, and then tries
    various common username and password combinations. If this succeeds, a
    table 'x' is placed on the server and the cycle is repeated. With the
    source code in the wild, it is trivial to change this table creation to
    something less benign.

    Oracle has been criticized in the past for its lax response to security
    issues, and given the company’s prior slogan of being "Unbreakable" this
    worm shows the importance of acting swiftly on vulnerabilities, before
    they become widespread problems.

    The source code to the worm can be found here
    http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2005-October/038290.html

    enjoy

    Shane, Nov 3, 2005

  3. "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:04:25 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Brilliant move by oracle - while not cannibalizing their existing
    >> customers
    >> (by restricting the product somewhat), but upskilling 1000's of people in
    >> their software - many of whom will have future purchasing authority.
    >>
    >> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html

    > This was publiished on the 28th of last month
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/28
    > A research paper released this week spells out weaknesses in the password
    > mechanism
    > for Oracle databases and describes how to break system passwords in
    > minutes.
    >
    > A number of decisions made by the database maker weakens the password
    > algorithm, according to Joshua Wright of the SANS Institute and Carlos Cid
    > of the University of London. Passwords in Oracle databases use the account
    > name to randomize the password hashing process, converts all characters to
    > uppercase letters and uses a fairly weak hashing algorithm, the two
    > researchers said in the paper.
    >
    > and this is the pdf detailing the above vulnerability
    > http://www.sans.org/info/911/
    >

    > this was published 02/11 (presumably this morning our time)
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/32
    > An Oracle worm posted to the Full-disclosure mailing list on Monday may be
    > harmless now, but with the source code available it may not stay that way.
    >
    > The worm scans local subnets looking for other database servers, and then
    > tries
    > various common username and password combinations. If this succeeds, a
    > table 'x' is placed on the server and the cycle is repeated. With the
    > source code in the wild, it is trivial to change this table creation to
    > something less benign.
    >
    > Oracle has been criticized in the past for its lax response to security
    > issues, and given the company's prior slogan of being "Unbreakable" this
    > worm shows the importance of acting swiftly on vulnerabilities, before
    > they become widespread problems.
    >

    > The source code to the worm can be found here
    > http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2005-October/038290.html
    >

    > enjoy

    Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away it's
    software for free?
    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 3, 2005
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    thingy Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > Brilliant move by oracle - while not cannibalizing their existing customers
    > (by restricting the product somewhat), but upskilling 1000's of people in
    > their software - many of whom will have future purchasing authority.
    >
    > http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html

    Not sure if it is brilliant or desperate....Oracle bought some software
    "critical" to Mysql, which is generally seen as a move to curtail
    mysql's growing market share.

    GPL (or similar licence) databases are coming....like MS and Linux the
    next battleground becomes the applications on top of the OS, databases
    are expensive and are a prime candidate for the good enough market.

    Oracle charges silly amounts for its software, something like $40k per
    cpu, ditto MS's SQL.

    Mysql on the other hand and a few others are free or just about free and
    you can buy support if needed and will do 50%+ of what most databases
    are used for.

    It will be interesting to watch........

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 3, 2005
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    Not Dave Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:30:09 +1300, thingy <>
    growled these words from under a rock:

    >news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> Brilliant move by oracle - while not cannibalizing their existing customers
    >> (by restricting the product somewhat), but upskilling 1000's of people in
    >> their software - many of whom will have future purchasing authority.
    >>
    >> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html
    >>

    >Not sure if it is brilliant or desperate....Oracle bought some software
    >"critical" to Mysql, which is generally seen as a move to curtail
    >mysql's growing market share.

    LOL!!! That's really funny!!!

    Mentioning MySQL and Oracle in the same breath shows a complete lack
    of understanding of database technology.
    Not Dave, Nov 3, 2005
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    Not Dave Guest

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:58:16 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> growled these words from under a rock:

    >Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away it's
    >software for free?

    Shane understands that commercial companies giving away solid,
    commercial software renders open source irrelevant, and are therefore
    a threat.

    Those that are not prepared to pay for quality commercial software no
    longer have to turn to the products made by hobbyists in their spare
    time.

    Well done Oracle, I say.
    Not Dave, Nov 3, 2005
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    Chris Hope Guest

    Not Dave wrote:

    > On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:58:16 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <> growled these words from under a rock:
    >>
    >>Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away
    >>it's software for free?

    > Shane understands that commercial companies giving away solid,
    > commercial software renders open source irrelevant, and are therefore
    > a threat.
    >
    > Those that are not prepared to pay for quality commercial software no
    > longer have to turn to the products made by hobbyists in their spare
    > time.
    >
    > Well done Oracle, I say.

    You think MySQL is made by hobbyists? Sure, it may not be in the same
    league as Oracle, but it's a commercial company who pays their
    developers to develop their open source database products.

    http://www.mysql.com/company/jobs/

    It is quite interesting that Oracle is doing this though. However, you
    can only use the free version on smaller databases (4GB of user data in
    total) but still very interesting.

    Chris Hope, Nov 3, 2005
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    Not Dave Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:43:09 +1300, Chris Hope
    <> growled these words from under a rock:

    >Not Dave wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:58:16 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    >> <> growled these words from under a rock:
    >>>
    >>>Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away
    >>>it's software for free?

    >> Shane understands that commercial companies giving away solid,
    >> commercial software renders open source irrelevant, and are therefore
    >> a threat.
    >>
    >> Those that are not prepared to pay for quality commercial software no
    >> longer have to turn to the products made by hobbyists in their spare
    >> time.
    >>
    >> Well done Oracle, I say.

    >You think MySQL is made by hobbyists? Sure, it may not be in the same
    >league as Oracle, but it's a commercial company who pays their
    >developers to develop their open source database products.

    I wasn't talking about MySQL specifically in that comment, although
    re-reading it I can see how it could be interpreted that way with my
    comment elsewhere regarding comparing mySQL and Oracle, which is a bit
    of a joke. I was more commenting in general - some posters here appear
    to be very against commercial software being free, as it erodes what
    htey see as the competitive advantage of open source software - ie
    that it is free (as in beer).

    MySQL is a great, fast, lite little DBMS. Better yet, it's free in
    many situations. Oracle is the holy grail high-end enterprise-level
    and above DBMS. Both are good, and both definately have their place.
    However, there is no place for comparisons between the two.

    >http://www.mysql.com/company/jobs/
    >
    >It is quite interesting that Oracle is doing this though. However, you
    >can only use the free version on smaller databases (4GB of user data in
    >total) but still very interesting.

    A very interesting move. I wonder if Microsoft will make Access free
    in response? Which, of course, is about what it's worth, but that's a
    different thread... ;-)
    Not Dave, Nov 3, 2005
  9. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:35:12 +1300, Not Dave wrote:

    > On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:58:16 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    > <> growled these words from under a rock:
    >>
    >>Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away it's
    >>software for free?

    > Shane understands that commercial companies giving away solid,
    > commercial software renders open source irrelevant, and are therefore
    > a threat.
    >
    > Those that are not prepared to pay for quality commercial software no
    > longer have to turn to the products made by hobbyists in their spare
    > time.
    >
    > Well done Oracle, I say.

    I _think_ that the very same day that Oracle announce their software
    giveaway, is the day Oracle makes it to Security focus' frontpage because
    someone (in their omnipotent wisdom) has released source code for a
    working worm
    As can _clearly_ be seen by the articles I quoted from, all that is
    required for the worm to become malicious is to change the payload, so
    instead of making table x, shellcode (for example) is inserted

    The _smart_ thing to do is to wait a few days for Oracle to respond to the
    flaws reported, and to patch them accordingly, or declare the 10g
    unaffected
    And _then_ download the products (saving a possible double-up)

    I do like how you turn a "heads up" into something personal though HOG, I
    have to say it really does show the strength(or lack there of) of your
    argument(s)
    Is this because youre a complete moron?

    You really have to wonder about some people

    Shane, Nov 3, 2005
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 18:58:16 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away it's
    > software for free?

    I think the implications speak for themselves, wait a week or two to see
    if the free products are affected ... then download

    Shane, Nov 3, 2005
  11. "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 18:58:16 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away it's
    >> software for free?

    > I think the implications speak for themselves, wait a week or two to see
    > if the free products are affected ... then download
    >

    > --
    > Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
    >
    > The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

    Well I don't really care. They will patch this eventually I would suppose.
    Just like microsoft.

    Surely if your machine is firewalled and you are only using this within the
    'intranet' then there is no problem right?
    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 3, 2005
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    Not Dave Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:41:06 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    growled these words from under a rock:

    >>>Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away it's
    >>>software for free?

    >> Shane understands that commercial companies giving away solid,
    >> commercial software renders open source irrelevant, and are therefore
    >> a threat.
    >>
    >> Those that are not prepared to pay for quality commercial software no
    >> longer have to turn to the products made by hobbyists in their spare
    >> time.
    >>
    >> Well done Oracle, I say.

    >I _think_ that the very same day that Oracle announce their software
    >giveaway, is the day Oracle makes it to Security focus' frontpage because
    >someone (in their omnipotent wisdom) has released source code for a
    >working worm
    >As can _clearly_ be seen by the articles I quoted from, all that is
    >required for the worm to become malicious is to change the payload, so
    >instead of making table x, shellcode (for example) is inserted

    It is simply a worm that "scans for common username/password
    combinations". That's not a vulnerability, that's a slack DBA.

    >The _smart_ thing to do is to wait a few days for Oracle to respond to the
    >flaws reported, and to patch them accordingly, or declare the 10g
    >unaffected
    >And _then_ download the products (saving a possible double-up)
    >
    >I do like how you turn a "heads up" into something personal

    No, you posted those links in an attempt to discredit Oracle. Nice
    attempt at a backtrack, though.

    >though HOG, I

    That's not the first time you've called me "HOG". Google Groups just
    told me WTF you are on about, and I see that a while ago another
    poster by the name of "HOG" also disagreed with you. I guess in your
    black and white world that makes us the same person. Quite comical,
    actually, and kind of proves my point.

    For the record, however, I am not "HOG".

    >have to say it really does show the strength(or lack there of) of your
    >argument(s)
    >Is this because youre a complete moron?

    Hmm, personal abuse. Why don't you show the strength(or lack there of)
    of my argument(s) by actually addressing them for a change, rather
    than resorting to your usual abuse?

    >You really have to wonder about some people

    That you do.
    Not Dave, Nov 3, 2005
  13. "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> Brilliant move by oracle - while not cannibalizing their existing
    >> customers (by restricting the product somewhat), but upskilling 1000's of
    >> people in their software - many of whom will have future purchasing
    >> authority.
    >>
    >> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html

    > Not sure if it is brilliant or desperate....Oracle bought some software
    > "critical" to Mysql, which is generally seen as a move to curtail mysql's
    > growing market share.
    >
    > GPL (or similar licence) databases are coming....like MS and Linux the
    > next battleground becomes the applications on top of the OS, databases are
    > expensive and are a prime candidate for the good enough market.
    >
    > Oracle charges silly amounts for its software, something like $40k per
    > cpu, ditto MS's SQL.
    >
    > Mysql on the other hand and a few others are free or just about free and
    > you can buy support if needed and will do 50%+ of what most databases are
    > used for.
    >
    > It will be interesting to watch........
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    He he if you want to run 500 million dollars in annual sales through MySQL
    then go for it.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 3, 2005
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:05:25 +1300, Not Dave wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:41:06 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > growled these words from under a rock:

    >>> Shane understands that commercial companies giving away solid,
    >>> commercial software renders open source irrelevant, and are therefore
    >>> a threat.
    >>>
    >>> Those that are not prepared to pay for quality commercial software no
    >>> longer have to turn to the products made by hobbyists in their spare
    >>> time.
    >>>
    >>> Well done Oracle, I say.

    >>I _think_ that the very same day that Oracle announce their software
    >>giveaway, is the day Oracle makes it to Security focus' frontpage because
    >>someone (in their omnipotent wisdom) has released source code for a
    >>working worm
    >>As can _clearly_ be seen by the articles I quoted from, all that is
    >>required for the worm to become malicious is to change the payload, so
    >>instead of making table x, shellcode (for example) is inserted

    > It is simply a worm that "scans for common username/password
    > combinations". That's not a vulnerability, that's a slack DBA.

    Did you perchance see the *other* vulnerability?
    Yes, the one where the system users password is considered *extremely*
    vulnerable?

    >>The _smart_ thing to do is to wait a few days for Oracle to respond to
    >>the flaws reported, and to patch them accordingly, or declare the 10g
    >>unaffected
    >>And _then_ download the products (saving a possible double-up)
    >>
    >>I do like how you turn a "heads up" into something personal

    > No, you posted those links in an attempt to discredit Oracle. Nice
    > attempt at a backtrack, though.

    I beg your pardon, I posted those links as a heads up, nice try at putting
    words into my mouth...again

    >>though HOG, I

    > That's not the first time you've called me "HOG". Google Groups just
    > told me WTF you are on about, and I see that a while ago another poster
    > by the name of "HOG" also disagreed with you. I guess in your black and
    > white world that makes us the same person. Quite comical, actually, and
    > kind of proves my point.

    Funny how you present your arguments *precisely* as he did
    gosh..

    > For the record, however, I am not "HOG".

    Riiiiiiiiiight

    >>have to say it really does show the strength(or lack there of) of your
    >>argument(s)
    >>Is this because youre a complete moron?

    > Hmm, personal abuse. Why don't you show the strength(or lack there of)
    > of my argument(s) by actually addressing them for a change, rather than
    > resorting to your usual abuse?

    er.. you saying you werent engaging in personal abuse.. nice retract

    Shall I actually address them by calling people commies?
    Or should I go quiet when asked to back up my comments?
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/25eada714c22ce66?hl=en&
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/19af15928d64f4e9?hl=en&
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.general/msg/2d06991d1fc2a066?hl=en&

    Shane, Nov 3, 2005
  15. news.xtra.co.nz

    Not Dave Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:20:03 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    growled these words from under a rock:

    >> No, you posted those links in an attempt to discredit Oracle. Nice
    >> attempt at a backtrack, though.
    >>

    >I beg your pardon, I posted those links as a heads up, nice try at putting
    >words into my mouth...again

    Whatever. Someone said "Look, Oracle's giving something away for
    free". You, probably not even knowing who Oracle are, replied with
    "Yea, but look!! Vulnerabilities!!". [Verbatim].

    >>>though HOG, I

    >> That's not the first time you've called me "HOG". Google Groups just
    >> told me WTF you are on about, and I see that a while ago another poster
    >> by the name of "HOG" also disagreed with you. I guess in your black and
    >> white world that makes us the same person. Quite comical, actually, and
    >> kind of proves my point.
    >>

    >Funny how you present your arguments *precisely* as he did
    >gosh..

    Sounds like an intelligent fellow.

    >> For the record, however, I am not "HOG".
    >>

    >Riiiiiiiiiight

    Really, though, Shane, you are inconsequential. If you want to call me
    hog, go right ahead. All it does is make you look like an idiot, since
    I'm obviously not him.

    >>>have to say it really does show the strength(or lack there of) of your
    >>>argument(s)
    >>>Is this because youre a complete moron?

    >> Hmm, personal abuse. Why don't you show the strength(or lack there of)
    >> of my argument(s) by actually addressing them for a change, rather than
    >> resorting to your usual abuse?
    >>

    >er.. you saying you werent engaging in personal abuse.. nice retract
    >
    >Shall I actually address them by calling people commies?

    I stated an opinion. Rather than addressing and debating that opinion,
    *you* resorted to abuse. As usual.

    >Or should I go quiet when asked to back up my comments?

    Yes, you are right. I get bored sometimes trying to discuss things
    with idiots and trolls who don't understand that people can have
    opposing views, and sometimes just walk away.

    Prime example:
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.general/msg/2d06991d1fc2a066?hl=en&

    This at the end of a thread when I have responded to posts you have
    made that have really illustrated your black and white mind set by
    pointing it out to you, only to be told to spend _my_ time coming up
    with these examples - that I have directly pointed out each time!! And
    in the same post you ask why I haven't given up in frustration and
    walked away! And now you're making comments on the fact I did just
    that!!!! Get with the programme, boy.

    Bye, now.
    Not Dave, Nov 3, 2005
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:06:03 +1300, Not Dave wrote:

    > som utter crap.

    Ooo look, snipped away the other links, the ones where you cant show a
    single *instance* of your claims

    Ah look, I posted factual goings on related directly to the OP to which
    *you* respond
    > Shane understands that commercial companies giving away solid,
    > commercial software renders open source irrelevant, and are therefore
    > a threat.

    > Those that are not prepared to pay for quality commercial software no
    > longer have to turn to the products made by hobbyists in their spare
    > time.

    >Well done Oracle, I say.

    How is this _not_ a personal attack, how is this even remotely rebutting
    my post, how is this intelligent?
    In fact, this shows you *think* everything is an attack on your precious
    *commercial companies*
    You really have to grow up boy, this is the big bad world, mums not here
    to look after you, and when theres an alert posted on security focus the
    very same day Oracle releases a product, the _smart_ people wait for it
    to a) patched, or b)declared unaffected
    ps who funds Securityfocus?.. symantec ring any bell?.. nah cant be..
    theyre a commercial organisation

    Heres the funny thing, only 4 days ago I was posting about phpbb being a
    security nightmare
    Gosh.. does that mean Im anti OSS??????

    Youre pathetic "Not Dave", and your little war is doing nothing
    In fact..heres the best way to see the end of it
    *plonk*

    Shane, Nov 3, 2005
  17. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Not,

    > A very interesting move. I wonder if Microsoft will make Access free
    > in response?

    msde (much better than access) is free and imsvho better than that primitave
    version of mySQL that i played with, although i would say that - having sold
    my soul to microsoft and all that ...

    the only good thing about mySQL is its shit-easy to install, copy the executable
    - msde (cut up version of sqls) involves an installer

    > Which, of course, is about what it's worth, but that's a
    > different thread... ;-)

    now now.. be nice..

    i have seen some highly polished programs done in access, of course the first
    thing i said when i saw them was 'will i be converting this to .net' but
    that is beside the point.

    to thoes intrested the answer to my question was 'definately no'

    ----------------
    the madGeek
    Steven H, Nov 3, 2005
  18. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:01:40 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 18:58:16 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away it's
    >>> software for free?

    >> I think the implications speak for themselves, wait a week or two to see
    >> if the free products are affected ... then download
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
    >>
    >> The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.
    >>

    > Well I don't really care. They will patch this eventually I would suppose.
    > Just like microsoft.

    Yeah eventually.. with something like this you'd hope sooner rather than
    later

    > Surely if your machine is firewalled and you are only using this within the
    > 'intranet' then there is no problem right?

    The 'ideal' testing situation would have to be a standalone machine,
    with no network connections, the next step up would be a machine behind
    another machine acting as a firewall, and limiting outbound as well as
    inbound

    Definitely for testing purposes have a good look at it, just keep in mind
    all the 'gotchas' should you like it and want to take it to production
    level

    Shane, Nov 3, 2005
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    Not Dave Guest

    On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:08:29 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    growled these words from under a rock:

    >*plonk*

    Hooray!!!!
    Not Dave, Nov 3, 2005
  20. news.xtra.co.nz

    Not Dave Guest

    On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:24:01 +0000 (UTC), Steven H
    <> growled these words from under a rock:

    >Hello Not,
    >
    >> A very interesting move. I wonder if Microsoft will make Access free
    >> in response?

    >msde (much better than access) is free and imsvho better than that primitave
    >version of mySQL that i played with, although i would say that - having sold
    >my soul to microsoft and all that ...

    True, actually.

    >the only good thing about mySQL is its shit-easy to install, copy the executable
    >- msde (cut up version of sqls) involves an installer

    Actually, the best thing about mySQL is that it a very lite and fast
    DBMS designed to work on pretty average hardware. It lacks anything
    resembling an "advanced" function, but is perfect for web stuff (small
    to medium sites).

    Obviously it's nowhere near the same league as Oracle, or even MSSQL.

    >> Which, of course, is about what it's worth, but that's a
    >> different thread... ;-)

    >now now.. be nice..
    >
    >i have seen some highly polished programs done in access, of course the first
    >thing i said when i saw them was 'will i be converting this to .net' but
    >that is beside the point.

    See, I don't think Access is a suitable basis for commercial software,
    and hence I have a hard time giving a good rating to software
    utilising it. Just my opinion, of course, but it is somewhat, um,
    flakey?
    Not Dave, Nov 3, 2005