    What could be wrong and what can be done about it?

    Thanks

    , Sep 24, 2003

  2. Cubzilla Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello all mighty all!
    >
    > I have a problem with Optra L print quality. The unit had only done
    > about 30k pages total but prints it produces from a new cartridge are
    > rather bad. First of all I need to mention that cartridge produces
    > wonderful prints in another optra I have. Optra L, however, produces
    > kind of fat looking letters, if anything is underlined the line would
    > be inconsistent and even breaking in places. But the worst of all
    > comes when pictures are printed. Pictures would show bands of low
    > toner coverage and going in consistent parallel vertical lines and
    > thick bands.
    >
    > What could be wrong and what can be done about it?
    >
    > Thanks

    On some laser printers the mirrors/lenses over a time get sorta smoked up
    with dust this leads to banding usually down either side. The heated roller
    can also deteriorate, I think on the optra there is a cleaning pad that is
    on top of the fuser unit, that can be removed to expose the rollers, you can
    check the condition from there.

    The fix is to clean mirrors/lenses initially with a soft dry cotton bud
    then follow up with a small amount of screen cleaner (one that leaves no
    trace) on a bud to remove any stubborn deposits.

    If the fuser is marked then its a refurbished one I'm afraid

    You might need the service guide to locate any mirrors/lenses that are
    involved in the optra

    Regards Trev

    Cubzilla, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Guest

    Thanks mate!
    I will have a look into it. The fuser cleaner is ok, so just 2 more
    parts to check.

    :)

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:46:02 +0100, "Cubzilla" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hello all mighty all!
    >>
    >> I have a problem with Optra L print quality. The unit had only done
    >> about 30k pages total but prints it produces from a new cartridge are
    >> rather bad. First of all I need to mention that cartridge produces
    >> wonderful prints in another optra I have. Optra L, however, produces
    >> kind of fat looking letters, if anything is underlined the line would
    >> be inconsistent and even breaking in places. But the worst of all
    >> comes when pictures are printed. Pictures would show bands of low
    >> toner coverage and going in consistent parallel vertical lines and
    >> thick bands.
    >>
    >> What could be wrong and what can be done about it?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >On some laser printers the mirrors/lenses over a time get sorta smoked up
    >with dust this leads to banding usually down either side. The heated roller
    >can also deteriorate, I think on the optra there is a cleaning pad that is
    >on top of the fuser unit, that can be removed to expose the rollers, you can
    >check the condition from there.
    >
    >The fix is to clean mirrors/lenses initially with a soft dry cotton bud
    >then follow up with a small amount of screen cleaner (one that leaves no
    >trace) on a bud to remove any stubborn deposits.
    >
    >If the fuser is marked then its a refurbished one I'm afraid
    >
    >You might need the service guide to locate any mirrors/lenses that are
    >involved in the optra
    >

    >Regards Trev

    , Sep 30, 2003