    Are they cheap and nasty or a good buy?

    Thanks
    Graeme
    Graeme Woollett, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Graeme Woollett

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:30 +1300, Graeme Woollett <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone (who owns one) have experiences that they'd like to share?
    >What media do they like and hate?
    >Are they cheap and nasty or a good buy?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Graeme

    Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved about..
    Tick Tock, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Graeme Woollett

    Tim Guest

    Tick Tock <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:30 +1300, Graeme Woollett
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone (who owns one) have experiences that they'd like to share?
    >>What media do they like and hate?
    >>Are they cheap and nasty or a good buy?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Graeme

    > Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
    > about..

    In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
    They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer 106/A06 is
    a much better writer.

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>
    Tim, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Graeme Woollett

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <> wrote:

    >Tick Tock <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:30 +1300, Graeme Woollett
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone (who owns one) have experiences that they'd like to share?
    >>>What media do they like and hate?
    >>>Are they cheap and nasty or a good buy?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Graeme

    >> Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
    >> about..

    >In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
    >They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer 106/A06 is
    >a much better writer.

    Tim you are way way way out of date, read the later reviews, they have updated
    the Firmware many times and the are now very compatible, plus with the
    Bookmark utile they are hard to beat.

    Can you get the Pioneer for say $200...?
    Tick Tock, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Graeme Woollett

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <> wrote:

    >Tick Tock <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:30 +1300, Graeme Woollett
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone (who owns one) have experiences that they'd like to share?
    >>>What media do they like and hate?
    >>>Are they cheap and nasty or a good buy?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Graeme

    >> Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
    >> about..

    >In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
    >They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer 106/A06 is
    >a much better writer.

    Also I notice only - format supported unless you go for the Dual format
    model at $378inc or the Pro model at $1136 and they are only 4x speed
    models the Liteon is 8x.
    Tick Tock, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Graeme Woollett

    Tim Guest

    Tick Tock <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Tick Tock <> wrote in

    >>> Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
    >>> about..

    >>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
    >>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer
    >>106/A06 is a much better writer.

    > Also I notice only - format supported unless you go for the Dual
    > format model at $378inc or the Pro model at $1136 and they are only
    > 4x speed models the Liteon is 8x.

    I assume you are reading PP's page for that - they have got the specs
    wrong. The 106 is a dual format writer, which was generally regarded as
    having the best media compatibility of any writer on the market when I
    bought it ~1 month ago. At the time (I did do my research) the Liteon
    drive had its own forum devoted to people complaining about - I don't
    know about you but I am not going to buy a drive from a manufacturer that
    lets firmware out in a state like that.

    As for price, the 106 can be bought for around $250 now. If 8x writing
    is really that important to you, the 107 can do 8x dual format, and has
    never had media problems like the ones that have plagued LiteOn. The
    only reason I don't have one myself is that they were released on the NZ
    market shortly after I bought the 106. Price on the 107 - just over $300
    on Ascent.

    Tim, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Graeme Woollett

    MarkH Guest

    Tick Tock <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Tick Tock <> wrote in

    >>> Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
    >>> about..

    >>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
    >>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer
    >>106/A06 is a much better writer.

    > Also I notice only - format supported unless you go for the Dual
    > format model at $378inc or the Pro model at $1136 and they are only
    > 4x speed models the LiteOn is 8x.

    Once again you’re incorrect. The Pioneer 106/A06 IS dual format and the
    best price on pricespy is $245 incl GST.

    LiteOn drives are available in 4x models and 8x models, you are wrong in
    saying "the LiteOn is 8x" but you would be right if you said "the LiteOn
    LDW-851S is 8x" and you could even add "with the lowest price on pricespy
    of under $230"

    You could put things so much better Roger, you could point out what a good
    deal the LiteOn LDW-851S is without being such a dick and criticising every
    other product, especially when the other products are very good.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Graeme Woollett

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:09:50 GMT, Tim <> wrote:

    >Tick Tock <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Tick Tock <> wrote in

    >>>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
    >>>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer
    >>>106/A06 is a much better writer.

    >> Also I notice only - format supported unless you go for the Dual
    >> format model at $378inc or the Pro model at $1136 and they are only
    >> 4x speed models the Liteon is 8x.

    >I assume you are reading PP's page for that - they have got the specs
    >wrong. The 106 is a dual format writer, which was generally regarded as
    >having the best media compatibility of any writer on the market when I
    >bought it ~1 month ago. At the time (I did do my research) the Liteon
    >drive had its own forum devoted to people complaining about - I don't
    >know about you but I am not going to buy a drive from a manufacturer that
    >lets firmware out in a state like that.
    >
    >As for price, the 106 can be bought for around $250 now. If 8x writing
    >is really that important to you, the 107 can do 8x dual format, and has
    >never had media problems like the ones that have plagued LiteOn. The
    >only reason I don't have one myself is that they were released on the NZ
    >market shortly after I bought the 106. Price on the 107 - just over $300
    >on Ascent.

    I got a NEC from DSE one of the very few drives that does not read dummy sync
    bytes, I do think the Pioneer does or the Liteon..

    Tim Please read some of the later reviews on the Liteons as they do come out
    tops..

    What is the differece with the A06P..?

    Seems that is not the OEM Model..?
    Tick Tock, Mar 4, 2004
  9. Graeme Woollett

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:26:03 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <> wrote:

    >Tick Tock <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Tick Tock <> wrote in

    >>>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
    >>>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer
    >>>106/A06 is a much better writer.

    >> Also I notice only - format supported unless you go for the Dual
    >> format model at $378inc or the Pro model at $1136 and they are only
    >> 4x speed models the LiteOn is 8x.

    >Once again you’re incorrect. The Pioneer 106/A06 IS dual format and the
    >best price on pricespy is $245 incl GST.

    The A06 is dearer as its no OEM, and PP has the specs wrong on the 106..

    Go read PP.

    Tick Tock, Mar 4, 2004
  10. Graeme Woollett

    Tim Guest

    Tick Tock <> wrote in
    > I got a NEC from DSE one of the very few drives that does not read
    > dummy sync bytes, I do think the Pioneer does or the Liteon..

    I have heard that is a very good drive - good purchase.

    > Tim Please read some of the later reviews on the Liteons as they do
    > come out tops..
    >

    > What is the differece with the A06P..?
    >

    > Seems that is not the OEM Model..?

    The A06P comes with a different software bundle to the standard drives.
    The software is more professional, so costs a lot more.

    Tim, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Graeme Woollett

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <> wrote:
    >
    > >Tick Tock <> wrote in

    > >> Go for a Liteon they are cheap and well supported and are raved
    > >> about..

    > >In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
    > >They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer 106/A06 is
    > >a much better writer.

    > Tim you are way way way out of date, read the later reviews, they have updated
    > the Firmware many times and the are now very compatible, plus with the
    > Bookmark utile they are hard to beat.

    Have you actually used one?
    Mainlander, Mar 4, 2004
  12. Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:30:41 GMT, Tim <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Tick Tock <> wrote in

    >>>In the case of Liteon DVD writers, the raving isn't good...
    >>>They have really bad media compatibility problems - the Pioneer 106/A06 is
    >>>a much better writer.

    >>Tim you are way way way out of date, read the later reviews, they have updated
    >>the Firmware many times and the are now very compatible, plus with the
    >>Bookmark utile they are hard to beat.

    > Have you actually used one?

    Perhaps you Guys should start your own thread, the replies don't help me
    in the slightest. I WANT to know about ***Optorite*** DVD writers.

    Graeme
    Graeme Woollett, Mar 5, 2004
  13. Graeme Woollett

    Tim Guest

    Graeme Woollett <> wrote in

    > Perhaps you Guys should start your own thread, the replies don't help
    > me in the slightest. I WANT to know about ***Optorite*** DVD writers.
    >
    > Graeme

    I've never used/seen one, but I did find one positive review.

    http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=215

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>
    Now playing: [winamp not running]
    Tim, Mar 5, 2004
  14. Graeme Woollett

    Rider Guest

    "Graeme Woollett" <> wrote in message
    > Mainlander wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    share?

    is

    > >>Tim you are way way way out of date, read the later reviews, they have

    updated
    > >>the Firmware many times and the are now very compatible, plus with the
    > >>Bookmark utile they are hard to beat.

    > > Have you actually used one?
    > >

    > Perhaps you Guys should start your own thread, the replies don't help me
    > in the slightest. I WANT to know about ***Optorite*** DVD writers.
    >
    > Graeme

    You'll get used to that in here. Most threads end up going way off track
    with people yelling at each other and questioning their knowledge LOL

    Rider
    Rider, Mar 5, 2004
  15. Graeme Woollett

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:11:51 +1300, Graeme Woollett <>
    wrote:

    >Mainlander wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >>>Tim you are way way way out of date, read the later reviews, they have updated
    >>>the Firmware many times and the are now very compatible, plus with the
    >>>Bookmark utile they are hard to beat.

    >> Have you actually used one?
    >>

    >Perhaps you Guys should start your own thread, the replies don't help me
    >in the slightest. I WANT to know about ***Optorite*** DVD writers.
    >
    >Graeme

    But why if its utter Crap..

    Would you buy a Trecker..?
    Tick Tock, Mar 5, 2004
  16. Graeme Woollett

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:39:44 GMT, Tim <> wrote:

    >Graeme Woollett <> wrote in
    >

    >> Perhaps you Guys should start your own thread, the replies don't help
    >> me in the slightest. I WANT to know about ***Optorite*** DVD writers.
    >>
    >> Graeme

    >I've never used/seen one, but I did find one positive review.
    >
    >http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=215

    Problem with unknown brands that are basically a rebadged brand and have very
    bad support for firmware upgrades..

    Its far better to get a read brand and get good support and the option to
    change the region code.
    Tick Tock, Mar 5, 2004
  17. Graeme Woollett

    wrote:

    >Mainlander wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >>>Tim you are way way way out of date, read the later reviews, they have updated
    >>>the Firmware many times and the are now very compatible, plus with the
    >>>Bookmark utile they are hard to beat.

    >> Have you actually used one?
    >>

    >Perhaps you Guys should start your own thread, the replies don't help me
    >in the slightest. I WANT to know about ***Optorite*** DVD writers.
    >
    >Graeme

    No matter what drive you get what is the support like, Firmware upgrades
    region fixes etc..

    Its no point in getting a drive and find that the CD's you bought do not work
    with it..

    That is why you have firmware upgrades..

    Plus what are the Agent like if it goes wrong..?

    I do not see the better shops listing it, may be its a gray import.

    I would not wast my money one one..
    Tick Tock, Mar 5, 2004
  18. Tick Tock wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:11:51 +1300, Graeme Woollett <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Mainlander wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>>says...

    >>>Have you actually used one?
    >>>

    >>Perhaps you Guys should start your own thread, the replies don't help me
    >>in the slightest. I WANT to know about ***Optorite*** DVD writers.
    >>
    >>Graeme

    > No matter what drive you get what is the support like, Firmware upgrades
    > region fixes etc..
    >
    > Its no point in getting a drive and find that the CD's you bought do not work
    > with it..
    >
    > That is why you have firmware upgrades..
    >
    > Plus what are the Agent like if it goes wrong..?
    >
    > I do not see the better shops listing it, may be its a gray import.
    >
    > I would not wast my money one one..

    OK, maybe the drive is utter crap (tm). Have you had personal
    experience with this drive or know of somebody that has to form your
    opinion? Thats why when said what I did below ie

    share?

    I was hoping to avoid people like yourself making uninformed dogmatic
    statements.

    Graeme
    Graeme Woollett, Mar 5, 2004
  19. Graeme Woollett

    MarkH Guest

    Graeme Woollett <> wrote in

    > I was hoping to avoid people like yourself making uninformed dogmatic
    > statements.

    Unfortunately that’s all Roger knows how to do. He does change the name he
    uses very often, but the regulars here recognise him on the first post
    under any name, mainly by the uninformed dogmatic statements (as well as
    the poor grammar, spelling and symantics).

    With the name of the drive in the subject I am sure anyone using one of
    these drives would have seen this thread, since no one has answered with
    anything specific to your query I would guess that this drive hasn’t been
    widely sold yet. You might want to try your luck on the international
    groups.

    BTW
    I have never seen these drives and until this thread I had never heard of
    them.

    MarkH, Mar 5, 2004
  20. Graeme Woollett

    Tick Tock Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 16:58:35 +1300, Graeme Woollett <>
    wrote:

    >Tick Tock wrote:
    >> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:11:51 +1300, Graeme Woollett <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Perhaps you Guys should start your own thread, the replies don't help me
    >>>in the slightest. I WANT to know about ***Optorite*** DVD writers.
    >>>
    >>>Graeme

    >> No matter what drive you get what is the support like, Firmware upgrades
    >> region fixes etc..
    >>
    >> Its no point in getting a drive and find that the CD's you bought do not work
    >> with it..
    >>
    >> That is why you have firmware upgrades..
    >>
    >> Plus what are the Agent like if it goes wrong..?
    >>
    >> I do not see the better shops listing it, may be its a gray import.
    >>
    >> I would not wast my money one one..
    >>

    >OK, maybe the drive is utter crap (tm). Have you had personal
    >experience with this drive or know of somebody that has to form your
    >opinion? Thats why when said what I did below ie

    >share?
    >
    >I was hoping to avoid people like yourself making uninformed dogmatic
    >statements.
    >
    >Graeme

    No I speak from experience and reality, nothing of mine is uninformed at all,
    I have been in this game far to long for that.

    Seems from my Search on Pricespy that is the cheapest drive out, but then you
    only get what you pay for.
    Tick Tock, Mar 5, 2004