    ghosted image?

    Help,

    mike

    Mike, Jul 8, 2007

  2. Mike

    J-McC Guest

    If you check the "resources" that the card uses you will probably find
    that the IRQ and Base address are not the standard coms ports ones.
    I am not familiar with the Dell GX620 but have a look in device
    manager under hardware. Then find the comms ports or the serial card
    and see what irq and address do they use. Normal on board ones are:
    Com1: IRQ=4 Base address = 03F8 (hex)
    Com2: IEQ=3 Base Address= 02f8 (hex)
    Some of the addin serial cards had software that let you alter the
    port settings, and some did not. If you can find what chip it uses
    google that chip number and you may find new drivers for it.
    The software for the palm Vx pda may have a configuration page where
    you can change the comms settings.
    J McC

    J-McC, Jul 8, 2007

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "J-McC" <> wrote in message
    > If you check the "resources" that the card uses you will probably find
    > that the IRQ and Base address are not the standard coms ports ones.
    > I am not familiar with the Dell GX620 but have a look in device
    > manager under hardware. Then find the comms ports or the serial card
    > and see what irq and address do they use. Normal on board ones are:
    > Com1: IRQ=4 Base address = 03F8 (hex)
    > Com2: IEQ=3 Base Address= 02f8 (hex)
    > Some of the addin serial cards had software that let you alter the
    > port settings, and some did not. If you can find what chip it uses
    > google that chip number and you may find new drivers for it.
    > The software for the palm Vx pda may have a configuration page where
    > you can change the comms settings.
    > J McC

    Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow.

    Mike, Jul 8, 2007
  4. Mike

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:29:15 GMT, Mike wrote:

    x-post trimmed to 24hshd from
    alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >We have some leased Dell Optiplex gx620 PCs hosted XP Pro images, w/ serial
    >cards that hat are not recognized by Palm Vx PDAs. Device Manager does not
    >show any errors. Is there any way I test the serial port? Several -years

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Portmon.mspx
    This will capture Serial and Parallel data sent.

    >ago I used a command to send a text file to a serial port to test it. It

    If it was a printer then dir > com1:

    Or the appropriate port.

    >would even "wake up" a serial port - make it active.

    You could even connect a serial modem and cthe same dir > com1: will
    work, Also connect via hyperterminal or another comms apps and a few
    simple commands

    atz

    ati7

    Portmon shows
    0.40587617 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
    ....Configurati
    0.00001816 IRP_MJ_WRITE Nmserial0 SUCCESS Length 1: .
    0.01558913 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: on
    Profile....
    0.01561148 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: ...Product
    typ
    0.01557181 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: e
    U.
    0.01560897 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: K.
    External..O
    0.03122771 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 42: ptions
    HST,V32..Fax Options
    0.01560673 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
    Cl
    0.01560981 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: ass 1..Clock
    0.01559081 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: req
    0.01560841 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
    16.0Mhz..Epr
    0.01560925 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: om
    0.01559947 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
    128k..Ra
    0.01560841 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: m
    0.01553102 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
    32k....
    0.01506113 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: Supervisor
    dat
    0.01560897 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: e
    03/16
    0.01560757 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: /93..DSP date
    0.01561092 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
    0.03122576 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 42:
    08/13/92....Supervisor rev 044-4.2
    0.01560589 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: ..DSP rev
    0.01561008 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
    044
    0.01560645 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 5: -12..
    0.12499158 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 6: ..OK..
    0.00000000 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 Length 64

    Whle the terminal app shows,

    atz0
    OK
    ati 7
    Configuration Profile...

    Product type U.K. External
    Options HST,V32
    Fax Options Class 1
    Clock Freq 16.0Mhz
    Eprom 128k
    Ram 32k

    Supervisor date 03/16/93
    DSP date 08/13/92

    Supervisor rev 044-4.2
    DSP rev 044-12

    OK

    >Unfortunately I forgot the command. Is it poosible the problem is w/ the
    >ghosted image?
    >
    >Help,
    >
    >mike

    The other usual thing was Norton Utils and PC Tools had test apps with
    PC Tools including loopback adapters which I still keep around.

    How to Do a Serial Loopback Test- Developer Zone - National ...
    A loopback test allows you to send and receive data from the same serial
    port to verify that the port is operational. To perform this test, ...
    http://.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3450 - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

    Testing a Serial Port in DOS
    X is useful for determining if a serial port is responding. A loopback
    test, which requires a loopback plug/adapter, is a very good test of a
    serial port. ...
    www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/228.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

    DB25 serial (RS232) loopback. Pinout and signals for building a ...
    The PC loopback plug is a useful diagnostic tool. The loopback plug
    connects serial inputs to serial outputs so that the port may be tested.
    www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/serial-port-loopback-db25-c.htm - 11k
    - Cached - Similar pages

    PassMark Loopback Parallel & Serial port pinouts
    Serial and Parallel Loopback plug. db9 loop back prototype. You'll find
    below the pin out instructions for making your own serial port loop back
    plug. ...
    www.passmark.com/support/loopback.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

    Loopback testing
    A loopback test is a simple way to verify that RS-232 communications
    hardware is working. You may test a radio interface and your computer's
    serial port ...
    www.hosenose.com/radio/support/loopback.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Me

    why?, Jul 8, 2007
  5. Mike

    Guest

    On Jul 7, 7:29 pm, "Mike" <> wrote:
    > We have some leased Dell Optiplex gx620 PCs hosted XP Pro images, w/ serial
    > cards that hat are not recognized by Palm Vx PDAs. Device Manager does not
    > show any errors. Is there any way I test the serial port? Several -years
    > ago I used a command to send a text file to a serial port to test it. It
    > would even "wake up" a serial port - make it active.
    > Unfortunately I forgot the command. Is it poosible the problem is w/ the
    > ghosted image?
    >
    > Help,
    >
    > mike

    Quick and dirty: Dig up an old serial mouse. (actually, you can still
    but them new at radio shack) If the mouse works, it is likely that the
    port is functional.

    To print a text file out of a serial port

    type myfile.txt > com1

    or com2, or whatever the port happens to be. Unfortunately, to
    actually see the output, you'd need a serial printer (some label
    printers work).

    Yet another possible test is to dig up an old external modem, and see
    if you can talk to it.

    I note that you said serial "cards" is this indeed a pci serial port,
    and not built in one?

    Re ghosted images: they work if the hardware is the same, but there
    can be major headaches if there are differences.

    , Jul 9, 2007
  6. Mike

    S.Lewis Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 7, 7:29 pm, "Mike" <> wrote:
    >> We have some leased Dell Optiplex gx620 PCs hosted XP Pro images, w/
    >> serial
    >> cards that hat are not recognized by Palm Vx PDAs. Device Manager does
    >> not
    >> show any errors. Is there any way I test the serial port?
    >> Several -years
    >> ago I used a command to send a text file to a serial port to test it.
    >> It
    >> would even "wake up" a serial port - make it active.
    >> Unfortunately I forgot the command. Is it poosible the problem is w/ the
    >> ghosted image?
    >>
    >> Help,
    >>
    >> mike

    > Quick and dirty: Dig up an old serial mouse. (actually, you can still
    > but them new at radio shack) If the mouse works, it is likely that the
    > port is functional.
    >
    > To print a text file out of a serial port
    >
    > type myfile.txt > com1
    >
    > or com2, or whatever the port happens to be. Unfortunately, to
    > actually see the output, you'd need a serial printer (some label
    > printers work).
    >
    > Yet another possible test is to dig up an old external modem, and see
    > if you can talk to it.
    >
    > I note that you said serial "cards" is this indeed a pci serial port,
    > and not built in one?
    >
    > Re ghosted images: they work if the hardware is the same, but there
    > can be major headaches if there are differences.

    He might also F12 to the utility partition (if it's still there) and run the
    quick diag tests; although if there is a serial module in those tests it's
    a really short one.....

    S.Lewis, Jul 9, 2007
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Quick and dirty: Dig up an old serial mouse. (actually, you can still
    > but them new at radio shack) If the mouse works, it is likely that the
    > port is functional.
    >
    > To print a text file out of a serial port
    >
    > type myfile.txt > com1
    >
    > or com2, or whatever the port happens to be. Unfortunately, to
    > actually see the output, you'd need a serial printer (some label
    > printers work).
    >
    > Yet another possible test is to dig up an old external modem, and see
    > if you can talk to it.
    >
    > I note that you said serial "cards" is this indeed a pci serial port,
    > and not built in one?
    >
    > Re ghosted images: they work if the hardware is the same, but there
    > can be major headaches if there are differences.

    cut back the baud rate to 9600 then sent a text file to it then the port
    became active and sycned w/ Outlook all is well.
    Thanks Mike

    Mike, Jul 10, 2007