    with a bunch of hardware that doesn't work. Does anyone know if Microsoft
    offers a way for me to just trade in my X64 license for a 32-bit WinXP Pro
    license?

    =?Utf-8?B?U2xvd0dlbml1cw==?=, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Microsoft is not responsible for the OEM license, trading in the license or
    returning it is really the responsibility of the manufacturer of the PC with
    which you purchased Windows XP Professional x64. Also, there is no upgrade
    or downgrade path to Windows XP Professional from 32-bit Windows, clean
    install only.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Feb 5, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U2xvd0dlbml1cw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Will the manufacturer of my used keyboard help me swap my license? :)
    Looks like buying the new 32-bit license is going to be necessary.
    Still cheaper than replacing hardware, software if you get no benefit.

    John Barnes, Feb 5, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U2xvd0dlbml1cw==?=

    Neal Guest

    What hardware are you having problems with? If you look around sites like
    http://www.planetamd64.com there are many beta drivers out there that can
    get you going. When I started off with XP 64bit beta I had almost noting
    for drivers. Now everything on my PC I have works. About half of them are
    on Beta drivers though that I had to search for a little.

    Neal, Feb 5, 2006
  5. At this point in time, you're at the mercy of your vendor. There is,
    currently, no Microsoft program to allow a swap back to 32-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2006
  6. SlowGenius wrote:
    > I've got several pieces of relatively expensive hardware (laser printer,
    > high-end music card, network drive) that lack 64-bit drivers, and there seems
    > to be no particular incentive for the manufacturers to release 64-bit drivers
    > anytime soon (if ever).

    I am sorry to hear that. I did the trial, and came to the same
    conclusion, luckily before I had spent any money. However, before you
    "give up" I would recommend one last try:

    Install the VMware player, and set up either a 32bit Windows OS (98
    might do) or Linux/i386 within the box. Linux actually has a lot of
    drivers for devices that are not supported in Windows x64.

    If that doesn't work, you should check the fine print of your x64
    licenses. In some parts of the world it is legal to resell them
    (assuming that you delete your installation, and include everything in
    the sale).

    Thomas

    Thomas Steffen, Feb 5, 2006
  7. Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try...

    =?Utf-8?B?U2xvd0dlbml1cw==?=, Feb 5, 2006
  8. The hardware at issue:
    1. Samsung SCX-4016 Laser Printer/Fax/Copier
    2. Creamware SCOPE Professional DSP board
    3. XIMETA NetDisk NDAS.

    The last, at least, seems to have 64-bit drivers in development. As for the
    other two... well, I'm not holding my breath. If the 'VMware player' option
    that Mr. Steffen suggests doesn't work, then I guess the M$ sales department
    will score yet another victory in the war to help keep Bill solvent...

    Thanks, all.

    -slo

    -=-=-=-=

    =?Utf-8?B?U2xvd0dlbml1cw==?=, Feb 5, 2006
  9. He's having issues with the IRS counting his cash. Such a shame.

    Andre Da Costa, Feb 7, 2006