    USB ports and several PCI slots open.

    Thanks in advance,
    Paul

    paul, Aug 4, 2003

  2. paul

    John M Guest

    I use a USB 2.0 card reader and a PCI usb 2.0 card on an old windows 98
    machine. It works like a charm, and transfers infinitely faster than the
    camera. And you can still use the Canon Zoombrowser utility to do the
    download - you just have to open the program manually (at least on my
    windows 98 machine).

    Another solution - for laptops - is a cheapo PCMCIA adapter (cost me $7).
    My Windows XP laptop automagically recognizes when I pop in the adapter and
    opens up Zoombrowser. Unfortunately, it's not quite as fast as the USB 2.0
    reader - but still much faster than transferring from the camera with USB 1.

    John M, Aug 4, 2003

  3. "paul" <> wrote in message
    > What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
    > card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
    > USB ports and several PCI slots open.

    Nope. A USB 2.0 card and a USB 2.0 reader will do the trick, but if you
    don't buy the 2.0 reader your USB 2.0 card is just so much wasted money.

    I bought a 2.0 reader, plugged it in, and left it. Nothing else needed- XP
    recognised it instantly, no issues with reading SM or CF, and it's quite
    fast too.

    --
    Martin
    http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty

    Martin Francis, Aug 4, 2003
  4. paul

    Andre Guest

    On 4 Aug 2003 11:38:01 -0700, (paul) wrote:

    >What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
    >card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
    >USB ports and several PCI slots open.

    Sandisk Firewire card reader and a Firewire PCI card. I get 5.3MB/s
    reading a Lexar 16x card, or 4MB/s reading a Microdrive. I'm quite
    happy with that.

    Andre, Aug 4, 2003
  5. paul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    paul wrote:

    > I have a Canon A70 digital camera and am getting tired of it taking
    > forever to transfer my pictures to the computer via the USB cable that
    > I plug into the camera. Not to mention the constant discharge of the
    > batteries when I forget and leave the camera plugged into the USB port
    > all night.
    >
    > What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
    > card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
    > USB ports and several PCI slots open.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Paul

    Yes, buy a USB 2.0 card reader (about $20). Don't expect blazing speed
    though as most cards aren't able to read or write at speeds anywhere
    near the max of USB 2.0.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 4, 2003
  6. paul

    paul Guest

    Can anybody recommend a good CF reader? I see cheep and expensive
    ones on eBay. Is there much difference?

    paul, Aug 4, 2003
  7. paul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    paul wrote:
    > Can anybody recommend a good CF reader? I see cheep and expensive
    > ones on eBay. Is there much difference?
    >

    > "John M" <> wrote in message news:<7QxXa.17$>...
    >
    >>I use a USB 2.0 card reader and a PCI usb 2.0 card on an old windows 98
    >>machine. It works like a charm, and transfers infinitely faster than the
    >>camera. And you can still use the Canon Zoombrowser utility to do the
    >>download - you just have to open the program manually (at least on my
    >>windows 98 machine).
    >>
    >>Another solution - for laptops - is a cheapo PCMCIA adapter (cost me $7).
    >>My Windows XP laptop automagically recognizes when I pop in the adapter and
    >>opens up Zoombrowser. Unfortunately, it's not quite as fast as the USB 2.0
    >>reader - but still much faster than transferring from the camera with USB 1.
    >>
    >>"paul" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a Canon A70 digital camera and am getting tired of it taking
    >>>forever to transfer my pictures to the computer via the USB cable that
    >>>I plug into the camera. Not to mention the constant discharge of the
    >>>batteries when I forget and leave the camera plugged into the USB port
    >>>all night.
    >>>
    >>>What would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to buy a USB 2.0
    >>>card and a USB reader? I have a Dell optiplex 933 mhz computer with 2
    >>>USB ports and several PCI slots open.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance,
    >>>Paul

    For a USB 1.1 reader, I recommend the ZIO. It comes with drivers, or
    you can download them from ZIO's site, and I have had absolutely no
    problem using it on any computer I have tried it on. I also have had
    good service from the PQI 6 in 1 reader (USB 2.0), which WinXP
    recognized without needing to load a driver. It also works perfectly so
    far.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 5, 2003
  8. paul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    paul wrote:
    > Will I notice the difference between a USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 card reader
    > or would my CF card be the bottleneck? Do I need to look for a reader
    > that can both read and write or do they have this capability by
    > default. I want to be able to use this as a portable storage to take
    > data from work to home also.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Paul

    Paul,
    As far as I know, all card readers also write to the card. I use my
    CF cards and reader(s) to transport data to and from work, and it works
    very well, if somewhat slowly. I have both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 readers,
    and on some cards there is no difference, but I have a 128Meg Lexar card
    that is about 2.5 times as fast on the USB 2.0 reader as on the USB 1.1
    reader, at writing, at least. The card certainly does make a difference.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 5, 2003