    bit for the intel pentium 4 extreme edition ???

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Jul 4, 2005

  2. "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote in message
    news:dab69o$4ut$1.ov.home.nl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does microsoft sell an optimized version of windows xp 64 bit for AMD
    > Athlon
    > X2 4800+ ?
    >
    > Does microsoft sell an optimized version of windows xp 64 bitfor Intel
    > Pentium 4 Extreme Edition ?
    >
    > I can not find any information about this on microsoft's website.
    >
    > However when I google I do find some information about windows xp being
    > optimized for the itanium processor and amd processors, what's the deal ?
    >
    > My big question is does microsoft sell an optimized version of windows xp
    > 64
    > bit for the intel pentium 4 extreme edition ???

    No - our single released products supports both the AMD and Intel x64
    processors.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 4, 2005

    Steve Thompson, Jul 4, 2005
  4. Read my review, you are probably confusing Itanium, Extended Systems with
    it:
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta/Blog/cns!1ppieQf0aF6k7J0XYrJfhfMQ!1051.entry
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta/Blog/cns!1ppieQf0aF6k7J0XYrJfhfMQ!1420.entry
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 4, 2005
  5. Skybuck Flying

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Unfortunately, I don't think you will see this unless VirtualPC becomes the
    norm. Too many differences in the repertoires within Intel processors much
    less across the gamut of Intel and AMD. It never happened in 32bit as most
    programs are still compiled to run on x86 hardware and don't use any
    advanced features of modern processors. Benchmarking programs only show how
    well modern processors emulate ancient hardware. Much to my disappointment,
    I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that x64 uses any "special functions"
    either but at least it is a start. It would be pretty cool though if there
    were CPU "drivers" that translated standard calls into processor optimized
    code the way GPU do with DirectX and OpenGL. Hopefully, VPC is going in that
    direction.
    The Itanium is a different animal altogether and is not currently, nor
    likely to be supported by XP. As a RISC processor, it is intended for
    serious number crunching, large scale servers, and massively parallel
    systems. I doubt there will ever be interest in marketing them for general
    purpose use.

    Intel_Fan, Jul 4, 2005
  6. Well, Microsoft supported XP on Itanium but dropped further development of
    in January or Feburary of this year. I believe that in the future the
    Itanium might be Intels road map will bring to the consumer side.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 4, 2005
  7. Skybuck Flying

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Possible but I really doubt it. It doesn't emulate an x86 nearly as well as
    P4's and Xeon's. Plus, with up to 9MB L3 cache, I don't think it could be
    competitively priced against the EM64T's and 64bit AMD offerings. And,
    without processor optimization, it would probably run slower.

    ?

    Intel_Fan, Jul 4, 2005
  8. I didn't say near future, think of it more as a transition platform taking
    us to the next level. Just like drivers or certain applications today have
    to be re-written to work on x64. A similar case could happen with Itanium
    becoming the successor to x86-x64. We must also take into account of the
    possibilities the future holds, 5 years from now, we could be hearing about
    128-bit processors.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 4, 2005
  9. Skybuck Flying

    SC Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does microsoft sell an optimized version of windows xp 64 bit for AMD
    > Athlon
    > X2 4800+ ?
    >
    > Does microsoft sell an optimized version of windows xp 64 bitfor Intel
    > Pentium 4 Extreme Edition ?

    No, same version

    > I can not find any information about this on microsoft's website.
    >
    > However when I google I do find some information about windows xp being
    > optimized for the itanium processor and amd processors, what's the deal ?
    >
    > My big question is does microsoft sell an optimized version of windows xp
    > 64
    > bit for the intel pentium 4 extreme edition ???

    P4EEs are 32 bit - No 64 bit EE processor yet. So XP x64 will not run on a
    P4EE.

    SC, Jul 4, 2005
  10. Actually I think Intel has added 64 bit extensions to all their line of
    processors, the most recent and last being the Celeron. Earlier versions of
    the EE were not 64 bit enabled.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 4, 2005
  11. http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentiumXE/index.htm

    (64 bits)

    --
    Jose Manuel Tella Llop
    MVP - Windows

    Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase,
    y no otorga ningún derecho.

    rights.
    You assume all risk for your use.

    JM Tella Llop [MVP Windows], Jul 4, 2005
  12. Skybuck Flying

    Rick Guest

    If you look back at the origin of Windows x64, it was optimized for the
    AMD64 from the beginning, and before Intel decided to join the x64
    party. After Intel announced their plans to join the x64 party, Windows
    x64 was modified to accommodate the Intel EM64T!

    Rick, Jul 4, 2005
  13. Actually, I think it was Intel who modified their processor architecture by
    adapting some of AMD's ingredients to support Windows x64.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 4, 2005
  14. Skybuck Flying

    WM Guest

    Maybe I'm cynical, maybe I've spent too much time with the Itanium... but I
    honestly don't see the Itanium being much beyond a niche, if Windows even
    continues to be available for it in Longhorn or beyond. The dropping of all
    but Datacenter (which doesn't sell in earthshattering numbers) and
    Enterprise versions of Server 2003 doesn't bode well, at least for Windows
    on the Itanium.

    WM, Jul 5, 2005
  15. Skybuck Flying

    Rick Guest

    It was both. The first build I had, 1063 I think, would not load on
    Intel EM64T. The second CPP that came out last July(?) was EM64T
    compatible.

    Rick, Jul 5, 2005
  16. Actually I read in article that the best selling editions of Windows Server
    on both the Itanium and x86 is Enterprise and Datacenter.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 5, 2005
  17. So how could it be both? From the sound of your post, on Intel was having
    issues supporting x64 when it was called Windows XP for extended systems.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 5, 2005
  18. Skybuck Flying

    WM Guest

    Enterprise I would believe, especially in volume licensing. Also especially
    since Microsoft made it so darn easy to upgrade to Enterprise Edition when
    compared to Advanced Server of Windows 2000, which was clean install and
    upgrade from itself only.

    Datacenter I wouldn't believe (not on X86, anyway - see below) - since it is
    OEM only, and generally bound to VERY high-end systems (like the Unisys
    ES7000) that need support for greater than 8 CPU's (up to 64) and specific
    uptime guarantees. Given that 8-ways aren't selling like hotcakes (most
    OEM's have completely dropped even their 8-way lines in favor of scaling out
    with 4-ways) Datacenter will remain in a similar niche to Itanium...

    That said, I _would_ believe that Enterprise and Datacenter are the best
    selling editions of Windows Server on Itanium - since, with the cutting (in
    January) of all but those two SKU's, they are now the _only_ versions of
    Windows available for the Itanium...

    WM, Jul 5, 2005
  19. The only Windows SKU that was cut from the Itanium was the XP for Itanium
    systems, the demand was just not their for it as a workstation operating
    system and AMD had created something more revolutionary and dynamic called
    the x64.

    Datacenter is not something I would expect some every business needs,
    especially if its a really big one, but according to Microsoft reports, its
    selling along well with Enterprise edition.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 5, 2005