Optimize internet performance

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?YW5nbGVmYW45OQ==?=, Jun 22, 2006.

  1. I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I downloaded a 400 mb
    file from the net, my internet connection has been really slow. I have a 5
    bar connection, and I've already rebooted the computer, the router, and the
    modem. How do I optimize my performance to make it faster?
     
    =?Utf-8?B?YW5nbGVmYW45OQ==?=, Jun 22, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YW5nbGVmYW45OQ==?=

    Kerry Brown Guest

    anglefan99 wrote:
    > I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I downloaded
    > a 400 mb file from the net, my internet connection has been really
    > slow. I have a 5 bar connection, and I've already rebooted the
    > computer, the router, and the modem. How do I optimize my performance
    > to make it faster?


    Are all downloads slow or just that one? What type of broadband do you use?
    There are many things that affect Internet speed. The most likely
    explanation is the server you were downloading from was slow for some
    reason.

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
     
    Kerry Brown, Jun 22, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > anglefan99 wrote:
    > > I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I downloaded
    > > a 400 mb file from the net, my internet connection has been really
    > > slow. I have a 5 bar connection, and I've already rebooted the
    > > computer, the router, and the modem. How do I optimize my performance
    > > to make it faster?

    >
    > Are all downloads slow or just that one? What type of broadband do you use?
    > There are many things that affect Internet speed. The most likely
    > explanation is the server you were downloading from was slow for some
    > reason.
    >
    > --
    > Kerry
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
    >
    >


    i have cox internet, and it was working really good until I downloaded that
    file. now it takes more than 30 seconds to open up the google home page. i
    disabled the built in wireless adapter in my laptop, and used a usb based one
    and now it is really fast. i guess there is something wrong with the adapter.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?YW5nbGVmYW45OQ==?=, Jun 22, 2006
    #3
  4. =?Utf-8?B?YW5nbGVmYW45OQ==?=

    Kerry Brown Guest

    anglefan99 wrote:
    > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
    >
    >> anglefan99 wrote:
    >>> I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I downloaded
    >>> a 400 mb file from the net, my internet connection has been really
    >>> slow. I have a 5 bar connection, and I've already rebooted the
    >>> computer, the router, and the modem. How do I optimize my
    >>> performance to make it faster?

    >>
    >> Are all downloads slow or just that one? What type of broadband do
    >> you use? There are many things that affect Internet speed. The most
    >> likely explanation is the server you were downloading from was slow
    >> for some reason.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kerry
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > i have cox internet, and it was working really good until I
    > downloaded that file. now it takes more than 30 seconds to open up
    > the google home page. i disabled the built in wireless adapter in my
    > laptop, and used a usb based one and now it is really fast. i guess
    > there is something wrong with the adapter.


    Could be. It could also be a setting. Did you change anything or install any
    software?

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
     
    Kerry Brown, Jun 22, 2006
    #4
  5. "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > anglefan99 wrote:
    > > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
    > >
    > >> anglefan99 wrote:
    > >>> I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I downloaded
    > >>> a 400 mb file from the net, my internet connection has been really
    > >>> slow. I have a 5 bar connection, and I've already rebooted the
    > >>> computer, the router, and the modem. How do I optimize my
    > >>> performance to make it faster?
    > >>
    > >> Are all downloads slow or just that one? What type of broadband do
    > >> you use? There are many things that affect Internet speed. The most
    > >> likely explanation is the server you were downloading from was slow
    > >> for some reason.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Kerry
    > >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>

    > >
    > > i have cox internet, and it was working really good until I
    > > downloaded that file. now it takes more than 30 seconds to open up
    > > the google home page. i disabled the built in wireless adapter in my
    > > laptop, and used a usb based one and now it is really fast. i guess
    > > there is something wrong with the adapter.

    >
    > Could be. It could also be a setting. Did you change anything or install any
    > software?
    >
    > --
    > Kerry
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
    >
    >

    no, i haven't downloaded or installed any software that would conflict with
    my adapter.
     
    =?Utf-8?B?YW5nbGVmYW45OQ==?=, Jun 23, 2006
    #5
  6. =?Utf-8?B?YW5nbGVmYW45OQ==?=

    Kerry Brown Guest

    anglefan99 wrote:
    > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
    >
    >> anglefan99 wrote:
    >>> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> anglefan99 wrote:
    >>>>> I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I
    >>>>> downloaded a 400 mb file from the net, my internet connection has
    >>>>> been really slow. I have a 5 bar connection, and I've already
    >>>>> rebooted the computer, the router, and the modem. How do I
    >>>>> optimize my performance to make it faster?
    >>>>
    >>>> Are all downloads slow or just that one? What type of broadband do
    >>>> you use? There are many things that affect Internet speed. The most
    >>>> likely explanation is the server you were downloading from was slow
    >>>> for some reason.
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>> Kerry
    >>>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> i have cox internet, and it was working really good until I
    >>> downloaded that file. now it takes more than 30 seconds to open up
    >>> the google home page. i disabled the built in wireless adapter in my
    >>> laptop, and used a usb based one and now it is really fast. i guess
    >>> there is something wrong with the adapter.

    >>
    >> Could be. It could also be a setting. Did you change anything or
    >> install any software?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kerry
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > no, i haven't downloaded or installed any software that would
    > conflict with my adapter.


    It's probably the adapter but it never hurts to consider other causes.

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
     
    Kerry Brown, Jun 23, 2006
    #6
  7. Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "anglefan99" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I downloaded a 400
    >mb
    > file from the net, my internet connection has been really slow. I have a 5
    > bar connection, and I've already rebooted the computer, the router, and
    > the
    > modem. How do I optimize my performance to make it faster?
     
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 23, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Melv

    optimize.exe safe to delete?

    Melv, Jan 31, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    343
    Bareill
    Jan 31, 2004
  2. VX99

    salm.exe and optimize.exe removal

    VX99, Mar 27, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    2,668
  3. Netter

    How to optimize for photo print (Epson CX5100)?

    Netter, Nov 22, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    368
    Harry Da Hat
    Nov 27, 2003
  4. aristotle

    How to optimize life of photoflood bulbs

    aristotle, Nov 25, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    29
    Views:
    2,777
    Big Bill
    Dec 4, 2004
  5. G Winstanley

    RAW capture & Optimize Image settings on Nikon D70

    G Winstanley, Jun 2, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    807
Loading...

Share This Page