    much as great OPTICAL zoom power does. What would be difference in
    quality of photo? Which is more important to buy--higher megapixal or
    high zoom? Why? thx
    Joan, May 5, 2006

  2. Joan

    Guest

    Joan <> wrote:
    >Oops, I asked the wrong question. I meant to ask about megapixels
    >versus OPTICALl zoom, not digital.

    >I am about to buy new camera. In the SLR world I used zoom lenses alot.

    >Yet it occurs to me that more megapixals enables quality enlargements
    >much as great OPTICAL zoom power does. What would be difference in
    >quality of photo? Which is more important to buy--higher megapixal or
    >high zoom? Why? thx

    Asfair, you need pixels in square more to match a double zoom. So zoom wins.
    , May 5, 2006

  3. lid wrote:
    > Joan <> wrote:
    >>Oops, I asked the wrong question. I meant to ask about megapixels
    >>versus OPTICALl zoom, not digital.

    >>I am about to buy new camera. In the SLR world I used zoom lenses
    >>alot.

    >>Yet it occurs to me that more megapixals enables quality enlargements
    >>much as great OPTICAL zoom power does. What would be difference in
    >>quality of photo? Which is more important to buy--higher megapixal or
    >>high zoom? Why? thx

    > Asfair, you need pixels in square more to match a double zoom. So
    > zoom wins.

    Neither wins, they work together. More pixels will not help if the
    quality of the optics is not up to the job. The amount of zoom is not a
    measure of quality. In fact I would generally say the very high zoom ranges
    tends to relate to poor image quality.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, May 6, 2006
  4. Joan

    RW+/- Guest

    On 5 May 2006 14:44:12 -0700, Joan wrote:

    > Oops, I asked the wrong question. I meant to ask about megapixels
    > versus OPTICALl zoom, not digital.
    >
    > I am about to buy new camera. In the SLR world I used zoom lenses alot.
    >
    > Yet it occurs to me that more megapixals enables quality enlargements
    > much as great OPTICAL zoom power does. What would be difference in
    > quality of photo? Which is more important to buy--higher megapixal or
    > high zoom? Why? thx

    Sheesh, took a while to figure out your logic. :)

    Bottom line, larger prints require more megapixels.

    Sure you could crop in camera via the lens but with a 4 meg camera you
    cannot print as big as you could with 8 meg, etc.

    Hint for you, if you go with a dSLR be very sure you are getting what you
    really want. If you like to do a lot of low light photography this can be
    very important.

    You can always buy/add to your collection better/longer zooms as needed.

    Quality of photo's are fully dependent on your skills and perceptions.
    RW+/-, May 6, 2006
  5. Joan

    Guest

    >> Asfair, you need pixels in square more to match a double zoom. So
    >> zoom wins.

    > Neither wins, they work together. More pixels will not help if the
    >quality of the optics is not up to the job. The amount of zoom is not a
    >measure of quality. In fact I would generally say the very high zoom ranges
    >tends to relate to poor image quality.

    I meant on the prerequisite that the parts are up to the job .. :)
    Sloppy manufacturing is crap in all ways.
    , May 6, 2006
  6. Joan

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Joan wrote:
    > Oops, I asked the wrong question. I meant to ask about megapixels
    > versus OPTICALl zoom, not digital.
    >
    > I am about to buy new camera. In the SLR world I used zoom lenses alot.
    >
    > Yet it occurs to me that more megapixals enables quality enlargements
    > much as great OPTICAL zoom power does. What would be difference in
    > quality of photo? Which is more important to buy--higher megapixal or
    > high zoom? Why? thx

    Square root of megapixels is equivalent to linear zoom ratio. It takes
    four times as many megapixels to equal a zoom by 2X.
    Don Stauffer, May 6, 2006