Optical Mouse Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jun 3, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Running XP on a 3 year old Dell.

    Have always been using the Dell mouse with it.
    Has the old fashioned ball.

    Anyway, a button on it gave way, finally, and went to Circuit City and
    bought a new
    MS optical mouse for it. It was the cheapest one they make.
    They don't even seem to sell the ball type anymore.

    Plugged it in, and amazingly worked just fine right away.

    Seems to be a big improvement.

    But-

    Has worked for about 2 weeks now, and then stopped totally.
    Connections and connectors to PC seem fine, etc.

    Plugged my old one in just to be able to use the PC somewhat, and this
    morning tried the
    new optical one again. Seems to be working again, but for how long... ?

    Are these things "usually" relaible " ?

    Do they lose "sync" or anything else that periodically may have to reset ?

    Any ideas what might have happened ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jun 3, 2007

  2. "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Running XP on a 3 year old Dell.
    >
    > Have always been using the Dell mouse with it.
    > Has the old fashioned ball.
    >
    > Anyway, a button on it gave way, finally, and went to Circuit City and
    > bought a new
    > MS optical mouse for it. It was the cheapest one they make.
    > They don't even seem to sell the ball type anymore.
    >
    > Plugged it in, and amazingly worked just fine right away.
    >
    > Seems to be a big improvement.
    >
    > But-
    >
    > Has worked for about 2 weeks now, and then stopped totally.
    > Connections and connectors to PC seem fine, etc.
    >
    > Plugged my old one in just to be able to use the PC somewhat, and this
    > morning tried the
    > new optical one again. Seems to be working again, but for how long... ?
    >
    > Are these things "usually" relaible " ?
    >
    > Do they lose "sync" or anything else that periodically may have to reset ?
    >
    > Any ideas what might have happened ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Just sounds like you got a bad sample. Take it back to the store for an
    exchange or refund.

    Charlie Allnut, Jun 3, 2007

  3. On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 07:33:25 -0400, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Are these things "usually" relaible " ?

    I have had two Microsoft ones fail over the last few years.

    >Do they lose "sync" or anything else that periodically may have to reset ?

    No idea.

    >Any ideas what might have happened ?

    In my Microsoft mice, both times, the light faded to useless. Now I
    have spares just in case it happens again. They are Octigen. Very,
    very low price.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com

    Steve Wolstenholme, Jun 3, 2007
  4. Robert11 wrote:

    > Do they lose "sync" or anything else that periodically may have to reset ?

    Yes, they do. There's usually a button on the mouse and one on the
    receiver that you can press to reset them. Do the receiver first then
    the mouse. Probably have to use a ballpoint pen to press them. And make
    sure the batteries are fresh. Just because the batteries were just
    unwrapped doesn't mean they have a full charge.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 3, 2007
  5. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Robert11 wrote:
    >
    >> Do they lose "sync" or anything else that periodically may have to
    >> reset ?

    > Yes, they do. There's usually a button on the mouse and one on the
    > receiver that you can press to reset them. Do the receiver first then
    > the mouse. Probably have to use a ballpoint pen to press them. And make
    > sure the batteries are fresh. Just because the batteries were just
    > unwrapped doesn't mean they have a full charge.

    Just realized that at no point did you say "wireless", which is what I
    was thinking. If it's not wireless, disregard my post as most everyone
    else does anyway.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 3, 2007
  6. Robert11

    Jerry G. Guest

    I think it would make sense to spend the extra dollars and get a good
    mouse. You get what you pay for!

    --

    Jerry G.

    ?

    Jerry G., Jun 3, 2007
  7. On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:03:14 -0400, "Jerry G."
    <> wrote:

    >I think it would make sense to spend the extra dollars and get a good
    >mouse. You get what you pay for!

    That's not true. The cheap ones work just as well as expensive ones.
    Like most things that are for sale, the price is set as high as the
    customers will pay.

    Steve

    Steve Wolstenholme, Jun 3, 2007
  8. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Running XP on a 3 year old Dell.
    >
    > Have always been using the Dell mouse with it.
    > Has the old fashioned ball.
    >
    > Anyway, a button on it gave way, finally, and went to Circuit
    > City and bought a new
    > MS optical mouse for it. It was the cheapest one they make.
    > They don't even seem to sell the ball type anymore.

    <snip report on it being a POS>

    Get a better one, and next time you buy hardware remember that value
    is a factor of both usability and cost. The cheapest POS you can
    buy isn't necessarily the best value.

    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 3, 2007
  9. Robert11

    Frosty Guest

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 07:33:25 -0400 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    "Robert11" <>, intended to write something
    intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >Hello,
    >
    >Running XP on a 3 year old Dell.
    >
    >Have always been using the Dell mouse with it.
    >Has the old fashioned ball.
    >
    >Anyway, a button on it gave way, finally, and went to Circuit City and
    >bought a new
    >MS optical mouse for it. It was the cheapest one they make.
    >They don't even seem to sell the ball type anymore.
    >
    >Plugged it in, and amazingly worked just fine right away.
    >
    >Seems to be a big improvement.
    >
    >But-
    >
    >Has worked for about 2 weeks now, and then stopped totally.
    >Connections and connectors to PC seem fine, etc.
    >
    >Plugged my old one in just to be able to use the PC somewhat, and this
    >morning tried the
    >new optical one again. Seems to be working again, but for how long... ?
    >
    >Are these things "usually" reliable " ?
    >
    >Do they lose "sync" or anything else that periodically may have to reset ?
    >
    >Any ideas what might have happened ?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bob

    This is gonna sound nuts, but take it off the mouse pad and use it on
    the desk.
    Mine worked fine for about a month on the mouse pad, when it quit I
    pushed the rest buttons, but to no avail. I took away the mouse pad
    after trying the mouse out on my enormous belly where it worked
    swimmingly.
    Now I run with no mouse pad and no more problems.
    (Doc put me on Phentermine and if my heart doesn't explode I may lose
    some weight! But either way...)

    Frosty, Jun 3, 2007
  10. Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Running XP on a 3 year old Dell.
    >
    > Have always been using the Dell mouse with it.
    > Has the old fashioned ball.
    >
    > Anyway, a button on it gave way, finally, and went to Circuit City and
    > bought a new
    > MS optical mouse for it. It was the cheapest one they make.
    > They don't even seem to sell the ball type anymore.
    >
    > Plugged it in, and amazingly worked just fine right away.
    >
    > Seems to be a big improvement.
    >
    > But-
    >
    > Has worked for about 2 weeks now, and then stopped totally.
    > Connections and connectors to PC seem fine, etc.
    >
    > Plugged my old one in just to be able to use the PC somewhat, and this
    > morning tried the
    > new optical one again. Seems to be working again, but for how long... ?
    >
    > Are these things "usually" relaible " ?
    >
    > Do they lose "sync" or anything else that periodically may have to reset ?
    >
    > Any ideas what might have happened ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    I have an optical USB mouse on my laptop. It goes to sleep after non-use
    just like the screen goes into save mode. Sometimes it won't wake up
    and I have to reboot. The screen comes back and the touch pad still
    works buy the USB mouse won't wake up. The wireless thing flashes when
    you tmove the mouse but the computer doesn't see it. Something is flawed
    and I don't think it's the mouse.

    Broderick Crawford, Jun 4, 2007
  11. Robert11

    Plato Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Has worked for about 2 weeks now, and then stopped totally.
    > Connections and connectors to PC seem fine, etc.

    The optical mouse I use for my laptop wont work on a table. I have to
    use in on an envelope or other piece of paper.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 7, 2007
  12. On 6 Jun 2007 22:56:02 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Robert11 wrote:
    >>
    >> Has worked for about 2 weeks now, and then stopped totally.
    >> Connections and connectors to PC seem fine, etc.

    >The optical mouse I use for my laptop wont work on a table. I have to
    >use in on an envelope or other piece of paper.

    Not unusual. A white background for the mouse is the best.

    Edward W. Thompson, Jun 7, 2007
  13. Robert11

    Plato Guest

    Edward W. Thompson wrote:

    > On 6 Jun 2007 22:56:02 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    >
    > >Robert11 wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Has worked for about 2 weeks now, and then stopped totally.
    > >> Connections and connectors to PC seem fine, etc.

    > >The optical mouse I use for my laptop wont work on a table. I have to
    > >use in on an envelope or other piece of paper.

    > Not unusual. A white background for the mouse is the best.

    Oddly, I never tried just plain white paper, any file folder will do
    tho....

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 7, 2007
  14. Robert11

    Guest

    Edward W. Thompson <> wrote:

    >On 6 Jun 2007 22:56:02 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    >
    >>Robert11 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Has worked for about 2 weeks now, and then stopped totally.
    >>> Connections and connectors to PC seem fine, etc.

    >>The optical mouse I use for my laptop wont work on a table. I have to
    >>use in on an envelope or other piece of paper.

    >Not unusual. A white background for the mouse is the best.

    I can't use white paper :) I have to draw lines all over it before it
    works ok. - It's what I use, if not the couch.
    --
    http://thepiratebay.org/ Raided again
    http://www.anakata.hack.se/

    , Jun 7, 2007
  15. Plato wrote:
    > Edward W. Thompson wrote:

    >> >The optical mouse I use for my laptop wont work on a table. I have
    >> >to use in on an envelope or other piece of paper.

    >> Not unusual. A white background for the mouse is the best.

    > Oddly, I never tried just plain white paper, any file folder will do
    > tho....

    They've always been okay on my dark wood-grain desk and my dark
    wood-grain table. You guys using $5 meece?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 7, 2007
  16. Robert11

    Plato Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > >> Not unusual. A white background for the mouse is the best.

    > > Oddly, I never tried just plain white paper, any file folder will do
    > > tho....

    > They've always been okay on my dark wood-grain desk and my dark
    > wood-grain table. You guys using $5 meece?

    I sometimes have to work while on the road in Kentucky on a table with a
    black surface, Darn external USB mouse [an expensive one] never seemed
    to work, so I just use an standard brown mailing envelope as a mouse
    pad...

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 10, 2007