    3) If the mice are available can you point me to the software to run
    them in DOS.
    Thanks,

    Jayac, Feb 2, 2007

  2. Jayac

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Jayac wrote:
    > I am looking to see if there is an optical, versus mechanical, mouse
    > that will operate in a DOS environment, e.g. DOS 6.22, and DOS alone.
    > I have a mouse for XP, but want a "new" one I can use just for DOS.
    > For clarity, I have a machine for DOS and one for XP.
    >
    > I know that optical mice will work in Windows, etc, but I primarily
    > use DOS for what's important and Windows for the internet.
    > What I'm looking for is:
    > 1) Were optical mice even commercially available in a DOS environment,
    > or have they always been a product of MAC or a Windows environment.
    > 2) If there are optical mice that operate in a DOS 6.22 environment,
    > can anyone provide me with brands and model names that I can use in
    > DOS?
    > 3) If the mice are available can you point me to the software to run
    > them in DOS.
    > Thanks,

    M-bt58 logitec wheel mouse with cutemouse driver.
    Most logitec mice do well in dos.
    And cutemouse is a nice driver with small footprint.

    Sjouke Burry, Feb 2, 2007

  3. Jayac

    Ernie Guest

    Any mouse with a PS2 port will work. I am using an optical one right now on
    my DOS/Win3.1 laptop. However, additional features such as the scroll wheel
    and center button won't work. Also, although I have not tried it
    personally, if you use a PS2 to serial adapter it should work, too. I'm not
    sure if they even make serial mice any more (I would imagine someone out
    there does).

    If you want the technical bits, basically the only change between optical
    and ball mice is how the position is read. With the older type, obviously
    the ball turns rollers which give direction and speed. The optical mouse
    uses a light senser to relay the same information. The information is sent
    to the PC in the same format, so they are interchangable. I hope this
    helps.

    <>...

    Ernie, Feb 4, 2007
  4. Jayac

    Ernie Guest

    Yes I forgot to mention in my other post, to use the mouse in DOS you need a
    driver. You can also get the Microsoft mouse driver (MOUSE.COM) for free
    from Microsoft.

    <45c2a1d8$0$3748$>...

    Ernie, Feb 4, 2007