    Cheers....
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, May 6, 2011

  2. tony sayer

    Andrew Holme Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...

    > Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
    > either not too expensive or possibly free;?..
    >
    > Cheers....
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    I've used FreeOCR :

    http://www.paperfile.net/

    Andrew Holme, May 6, 2011

  3. tony sayer

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, tony sayer
    <> writes

    >Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
    >either not too expensive or possibly free;?..
    >
    >Cheers....

    I don't know about 'recommend', but a quick Google on 'ocr freeware'
    comes up with quite a few possibles (in case no one comes up with a good
    suggestion).

    The subject of OCR freeware used to be discussed from time to time in
    the alt.comp.freeware NG. I got the impression that nobody found
    anything as good as the payware programs. However, a look at the
    alt.comp.freeware archives might be useful. I haven't bothered to try
    any of the OCR freeware myself, as I once lashed out on ABBYY OCR (cost
    £60!!!).
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, May 6, 2011
  4. tony sayer

    Tony Guest

    On May 6, 10:29 pm, tony sayer <> wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
    > either not too expensive or possibly free;?..
    >
    > Cheers....
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    Google Docs is supposed to do OCR now - just upload an image or a pdf
    and it'll convert it for you. I've not tried it so can't vouch for
    it's accuracy but it's free and easy to try.

    Tony

    Tony, May 6, 2011
  5. on 06/05/2011, John Rumm supposed :
    > On 06/05/2011 22:29, tony sayer wrote:
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
    >> either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

    > Abbey FineReader Pro is very good (but not free)

    I agree - a copy of it was included with a combination
    fax/printer/scanner I bought a while ago.

    --
    Regards,
    Harry (M1BYT) (L)

    Harry Bloomfield, May 7, 2011
  6. tony sayer

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, Robert
    Baer <> writes

    > I use ABBY and find it to be rather decent; did you have a problem
    >with it?

    Not really. It's pretty good - once you get the hang of it.
    To be honest, I haven't really used it all that much, and I'm sure I
    have not explored its full potential.

    I started with V4, which was a freebie with a computer magazine. It
    worked OK, but couldn't accept a PDF as an input file. V6 and later can.

    I think I first had V6 as a free trial download which, much to the
    consternation of one of my works colleagues, would accept a protected
    PDF, and effectively allow you to save it to an unprotected file. When
    the free trial expired, I downloaded the V6 pay-for version (which I
    still have), but found that they had removed the 'unprotect-a-PDF'
    function (not that it affected me).

    For a scanned document, it says it requires at least 300dpi. However,
    after a bit of titivating, I've successfully OCRed an existing image of
    an old WW2 document, where it was only 150dpi.

    ABBYY still keep sending me suggestions that I should upgrade to the
    latest version, but it's not free. It's at a 'special discount price' of
    around £50, so I'll be sticking with V6.
    --
    Ian

    Ian Jackson, May 7, 2011
  7. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <qYZwp.1$2>, Andrew Holme <>
    scribeth thus

    >"tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
    >> either not too expensive or possibly free;?..
    >>
    >> Cheers....
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer
    >>

    >I've used FreeOCR :
    >
    >http://www.paperfile.net/

    Yep tried that, doesn't run with WIN 2000 Simple OCR does tried that Job
    done!.,.

    Thanks to all who replied. By mail as well as via news, seems that the
    Abbvy one is very good for more demanding applications FWIW..
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, May 7, 2011
  8. tony sayer

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 06/05/2011 23:33, John Rumm wrote:
    > On 06/05/2011 22:29, tony sayer wrote:
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
    >> either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

    > Abbey FineReader Pro is very good (but not free)

    Mine was! I use the version that came on the cover disc of PCPlus
    magazine - but that was a few years ago (2002, I think) so you'll
    probably not find that!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, May 7, 2011
  9. tony sayer

    Kele Guest

    FYI... Cannon scanners (flatbeds) include OmniPage SE OCR software. I
    like.

    Kele, May 7, 2011