    cost per cpu for an additional core. the review could've been a bit more
    comprehensive for opteron benchmarks, but overall still fairly
    interesting....

    gimp, Apr 22, 2005

  2. gimp

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:57:35 +1200, gimp wrote:

    > the dual core opty cpus are officially released today i think? if they
    > havn't been already....
    >
    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397&p=1
    >
    > omg the price comparison on page 3 of that review is horrific, 3 x the
    > cost per cpu for an additional core.

    It's not as bad as that overall.

    A single socket dual core doesn't need to spend the money on a dual socket
    board and extra bank of RAM for equivalent performance.

    And a dual socket board with dual cores doesn't need to spend the extra
    money on a quad mobo and 2 extra RAM banks for equivalent performance.

    While the chips are 3X the price (and that's probably just initially),
    overall systems prices will probably be a lot more favourable - and even
    more so once power, cooling and space requirements are taken into account.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 22, 2005

  3. gimp

    gimp Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > A single socket dual core doesn't need to spend the money on a dual socket
    > board and extra bank of RAM for equivalent performance.
    >
    > And a dual socket board with dual cores doesn't need to spend the extra
    > money on a quad mobo and 2 extra RAM banks for equivalent performance.

    hmm true i suppose... frustrating though 'cause i was looking forward to
    building a dual-core dual-cpu workstation immediately ;) most
    components, dual-cpu mobo and registered ram are coming down in price
    but just one of those cpus would be almost twice the cost of the best
    motherboard around, the tyan K8WE. yeah for now that dream is a bit out
    of reach... ;)

    gimp, Apr 22, 2005
  4. gimp

    AD. Guest

    gimp wrote:
    > AD. wrote:
    >
    >> A single socket dual core doesn't need to spend the money on a dual
    >> socket
    >> board and extra bank of RAM for equivalent performance.
    >>
    >> And a dual socket board with dual cores doesn't need to spend the extra
    >> money on a quad mobo and 2 extra RAM banks for equivalent performance.

    > hmm true i suppose... frustrating though 'cause i was looking forward to
    > building a dual-core dual-cpu workstation immediately ;) most
    > components, dual-cpu mobo and registered ram are coming down in price
    > but just one of those cpus would be almost twice the cost of the best
    > motherboard around, the tyan K8WE. yeah for now that dream is a bit out
    > of reach... ;)

    Patience grasshopper, they will get cheaper.

    I expect the dual core Athlons will be much more in line with your price
    expectations. After all, Opterons are for people that can justify the
    expense and AMD is relishing the chance to have a range of high margin
    cpus for a while.

    It might even be enough for me to upgrade. I would happily trade high
    clock speeds for dual cores - nothing I really do is cpu bound, but
    smoother multitasking would be very nice.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 23, 2005