    Now!" I don't want to get caught up in any word games that bring even
    more crap into my box.

    Is there ANY way of really dealing with this situation?
    Itz Just Me, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Itz Just Me

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:02:14 -0500, Itz Just Me <>
    wrote:

    >I am getting more and more of unsolicted crap in my mail box.

    How strange; wonder why they picked you ;)

    >One item had an option of getting removed from the list.

    NEVER RESPOND. it only confirms your address is valid.

    >Is there ANY way of really dealing with this situation?

    Get a mail account with Spam filtering or get a new email
    account

    Personally I blame the Americans, too many guns too much
    cheap gasoline all those baseball bats and not enough people
    using them productivly to solve this problem.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Itz Just Me

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "Itz Just Me" said in news::
    > I am getting more and more of unsolicted crap in my mail box. One item
    > had an option of getting removed from the list. I hit the link and it
    > took me to a screen that had OPT-IN highlighted as the default choice.
    > http://www.wegotagooddeal.biz/
    >
    > While it has "Opt Out" as an option, the ENTER button says "Register
    > Now!" I don't want to get caught up in any word games that bring even
    > more crap into my box.
    >
    > Is there ANY way of really dealing with this situation?

    So you really believe a spammer is going to let your opt-out? You really
    believe that clicking that opt-out button will *reduce* your spam? Yeah,
    like no spammer is going to use a bogus opt-out process to get recipients to
    identify valid AND *monitored* e-mail accounts, no, uh uh. Hey, I got a
    deal for you. Send me $299.99 cash or money order and I'll guarantee that
    you get no spam for up to 12 hours after receipt of payment or half your
    money back.

    Don't opt out unless it is a highly recognized sender, like IBM, HP,
    Microsoft, etc., and you check the HTML source to verify the link actually
    takes you to their domain instead of a scam site. When you answer the
    doorbell, you tell them you're there.

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***
    *Vanguard*, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Jim Watt wrote:

    >Personally I blame the Americans, too many guns too much
    >cheap gasoline all those baseball bats and not enough people
    >using them productivly to solve this problem.

    LOL! You may have a very valid point there.
    Micheal Robert Zium, Feb 27, 2004
  5. "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > Personally I blame the Americans, too many guns too much
    > cheap gasoline all those baseball bats and not enough people
    > using them productivly to solve this problem.

    Yeah, sure, easy to say. Maybe you should start to do the same exercise that
    I've been doing these last days: check the IP-numbers the spammail is coming
    from.

    Filip
    Filip van Laenen, Feb 27, 2004
  6. "Filip van Laenen" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > > Personally I blame the Americans, too many guns too much
    > > cheap gasoline all those baseball bats and not enough people
    > > using them productivly to solve this problem.

    > Yeah, sure, easy to say. Maybe you should start to do the same exercise

    that
    > I've been doing these last days: check the IP-numbers the spammail is

    coming
    > from.

    Interesting comment.. so I did ;o)

    Unfortunately, 75% of mail was sent to one of my ISP email addresses
    (meaning that the connecting country is set to the UK, making it impossible
    to tell where the originating mail really came from).

    Of the direct connections, the US comes top, with the same number of spams
    as the top two and three added together (Italy and Australia). Korea (often
    blamed as a major source of spam) came in at 20th place, with a measly 1%.

    Of course, this is really just a profile of compromised machines, rather
    than the origin of spammers themselves..

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Feb 27, 2004
  7. Itz Just Me

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:46:53 +0100, "Filip van Laenen" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    >> Personally I blame the Americans, too many guns too much
    >> cheap gasoline all those baseball bats and not enough people
    >> using them productivly to solve this problem.

    >Yeah, sure, easy to say. Maybe you should start to do the same exercise that
    >I've been doing these last days: check the IP-numbers the spammail is coming
    >from.

    I have and they are mostly American, on DSL lines.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 27, 2004
  8. Itz Just Me

    Itz Just Me Guest

    Spammer motives

    Just out of curiosity, what would the motivation be for a spammer to
    go to so much trouble trying to get into my (our) mailboxes when it's
    evident we are not interested in the message?
    Itz Just Me, Feb 27, 2004
  9. Itz Just Me

    D Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    Itz Just Me wrote:

    > Just out of curiosity, what would the motivation be for a spammer to
    > go to so much trouble trying to get into my (our) mailboxes when it's
    > evident we are not interested in the message?

    Cos it costs zero to send spam, so if they get one sale, they've made a
    profit. Multiply that by millions of spam messages and a few hundred
    sales and it becomes serions money.
    D, Feb 27, 2004
  10. Itz Just Me

    Willondon Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    D wrote:
    > Itz Just Me wrote:
    >
    > > Just out of curiosity, what would the motivation be for a spammer to
    > > go to so much trouble trying to get into my (our) mailboxes when it's
    > > evident we are not interested in the message?

    > Cos it costs zero to send spam, so if they get one sale, they've made a
    > profit. Multiply that by millions of spam messages and a few hundred
    > sales and it becomes serions money.

    Also, a lot of spammers make their money by conning other losers into
    advertising their crap with spam. They really don't care if you don't
    want to buy; they make money based on how many millions they can send the
    message to.

    --
    Willondon
    Willondon, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Itz Just Me

    Gladys Pump Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:53:08 -0500, Itz Just Me <>, whilst
    in the alt.computer.security newsfroup, articulated the following sentiments
    :

    >Just out of curiosity, what would the motivation be for a spammer to
    >go to so much trouble trying to get into my (our) mailboxes when it's
    >evident we are not interested in the message?

    Spammers are invariably thick. Perhaps some do actually reap some of the
    'rewards' for clogging up the Net with their crap, but I suspect a lot don't
    get that much. Being stupid however, this won't stop them.

    I'm spammed monthly through my front door with some 'Bettaware' or 'Kleneze'
    catalogue crap. I've never bought a single thing. A lot of the time, I just
    bin them, which apparently costs them money. :)

    It doesn't matter to them. I've even left polite notes asking them to stop
    delivering them as I've not bought anything in the five years I've been at
    this property. All it needs is a change of spammer, sorry, pyramid seller,
    damn, sorry, multi-level-marketer-wannabe, and they start posting them
    through my door again.

    Regs, Pete.
    Gladys Pump, Feb 28, 2004
  12. Itz Just Me

    Itz Just Me Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    Weren't new laws set into motion in the U.S.? Of course, if so, that
    would only affect spammers operating inside the country, right? And
    there are easy works around that.
    Itz Just Me, Feb 28, 2004
  13. Itz Just Me

    martin Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    "Gladys Pump" <> wrote in message
    > I'm spammed monthly through my front door with some 'Bettaware' or

    'Kleneze'
    > catalogue crap. I've never bought a single thing. A lot of the time, I

    just
    > bin them, which apparently costs them money. :)

    If you're in the UK like I am, this can work to drive them out of business.
    These guys sometimes spam email and news groups. I always reply to them
    giving my work address and home cell phone number. Then they have to goto
    costs to mail you out real material, phone you up at there expense to a cell
    phone. After a few weeks of ummming and ahhharing about the scheme, just
    yell at them that they are spamming toerags and you hate them all!

    You a bit of abuse, but it's their money they are spending, eventually they
    will learn. One even went and looked up my newsgroup postings and posted a
    tirade about me and mr morals and how I shouldn't go contacting spammers in
    NANAE

    cheers
    martin, Feb 28, 2004
  14. Itz Just Me

    Gladys Pump Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:40:46 +0000 (UTC), "martin"
    <>, whilst in the alt.computer.security
    newsfroup, articulated the following sentiments :

    >"Gladys Pump" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm spammed monthly through my front door with some 'Bettaware' or

    >'Kleneze'
    >> catalogue crap. I've never bought a single thing. A lot of the time, I

    >just
    >> bin them, which apparently costs them money. :)

    >If you're in the UK like I am, this can work to drive them out of business.
    >These guys sometimes spam email and news groups. I always reply to them
    >giving my work address and home cell phone number. Then they have to goto
    >costs to mail you out real material, phone you up at there expense to a cell
    >phone. After a few weeks of ummming and ahhharing about the scheme, just
    >yell at them that they are spamming toerags and you hate them all!

    Nice to know it's having some effect. Good plan there. Should work with me
    too as I'm in the UK.

    Probably the most annoying tactic I have found for cold-callers is to
    answer, and say "Yes, ok, just one minute ok ?". And then go back to what I
    was doing before, leaving the phone on the side with an increasingly anxious
    cold-caller on the other end. Sure, it ties up the phone for a few minutes,
    but it's worth it. To be honest, since signing up with Tele Preferences and
    going ex-directory, along with an anonymous call block, I get very few phone
    spams now.

    Regarding the catalogues through the door, as far as I'm concerned, the
    minute that catalogue drops through my letterbox, it's mine. I can do
    whatever I want with it. I got bored with making aeroplanes and funny hats
    out of them, so just bin them most of the time now. I still haven't actually
    met one of the 'letterbox-spammers' face to face yet. Even though I'm pretty
    sure one lives a couple of streets away. I wonder what they'd say ?

    LS :"Did you get the catalogue sir ?"
    Me :"Yes."
    LS: "Anything you like ?"
    Me: "No."
    LS: "Oh ..."
    Me: "Goodbye"
    LS:"Um, could I have the book back please ?"
    Me: "No."
    LS: "Oh."
    Me: "Are you seeing a pattern emerge here ?"
    LS: "No"
    Me: "Figures ..."

    <SLAM!>

    >You a bit of abuse, but it's their money they are spending, eventually they
    >will learn. One even went and looked up my newsgroup postings and posted a
    >tirade about me and mr morals and how I shouldn't go contacting spammers in
    >NANAE

    Hmm, don't seem to like it when their time is wasted do they ? I remember
    being told about an incident with a cold-caller a few years ago. Apparently
    this woman, a very mild-mannered polite lady, got cold-called one day about
    the usual crap. She was extremely polite to the caller, but declined any
    offers of sales repeatedly, and then hung up.

    The cold-caller, who was also female for what it matters, actually called
    this lady back and called her a bitch amongst other things ! The 'victim'
    was a friend of a friend, and unfortunately, I only heard the story months
    after it had happened and had all 'blown over'. She was upset, but did
    nothing about it. Quite what I'd have done I don't know, but I would've done
    something, and I certainly wouldn't have just let it go.

    Regs, Pete.

    "I'm dead Jim"
    DeForest Kelley. 20/1/1920-6/11/1999
    Gladys Pump, Feb 29, 2004
  15. Itz Just Me

    Jim Watt Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:12:30 +0000, Gladys Pump
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    I'm usually wildly abusive to telephone cold callers
    - its illegal to do it locally but we now get international
    share scams regularly,

    However we did get one bunch calling the office all
    day, I think they passed 'mr angry' around the office
    for fun. Mr 'hold the line a moment' does the trick
    - with the radio in front for music on hold.

    It also occurs to me that the machines sending spam
    must be online for long periods, so its worth checking
    whats at the end of their sending IP when you get it
    and checking their security.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 29, 2004
  16. Itz Just Me

    Gladys Pump Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:05:07 +0100, Jim Watt <_way>, whilst in
    the alt.computer.security newsfroup, articulated the following sentiments :

    >It also occurs to me that the machines sending spam
    >must be online for long periods, so its worth checking
    >whats at the end of their sending IP when you get it
    >and checking their security.

    Time for NMapWin then. :)

    Gladys Pump, Feb 29, 2004
  17. Itz Just Me

    Peter James Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:42:25 +0000, Gladys Pump
    <> wrote:

    >I'm spammed monthly through my front door with some 'Bettaware' or 'Kleneze'
    >catalogue crap. I've never bought a single thing. A lot of the time, I just
    >bin them, which apparently costs them money. :)

    Like you I'm spammed on almost a daily basis with unrequested offers
    of loans, mortgages, credit cards etc, etc. So, my technique is
    simplicity itself. Reply to all of them. They always include a self
    addressed envelope in the hope of a positive reply. So I return the
    junk mail from company number one to company number two with a small
    statement to the effect that as they were so kind as to send me
    unwanted mail, I thought I would return the compliment. It works a
    treat. Readers Digest have given up on me, and some of the banks are
    beginning to get the message. The only way is to increase their
    costs, and one of the best ways is by increasing their mail costings.
    If we all did this, I swear we could end junk mailing overnight.
    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ to reply
    Peter James, Feb 29, 2004
  18. Itz Just Me

    Jim Watt Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:09:02 +0000, Peter James
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:42:25 +0000, Gladys Pump
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm spammed monthly through my front door with some 'Bettaware' or 'Kleneze'
    >>catalogue crap. I've never bought a single thing. A lot of the time, I just
    >>bin them, which apparently costs them money. :)

    >Like you I'm spammed on almost a daily basis with unrequested offers
    >of loans, mortgages, credit cards etc, etc. So, my technique is
    >simplicity itself. Reply to all of them. They always include a self
    >addressed envelope in the hope of a positive reply. So I return the
    >junk mail from company number one to company number two with a small
    >statement to the effect that as they were so kind as to send me
    >unwanted mail, I thought I would return the compliment. It works a
    >treat. Readers Digest have given up on me, and some of the banks are
    >beginning to get the message. The only way is to increase their
    >costs, and one of the best ways is by increasing their mail costings.
    >If we all did this, I swear we could end junk mailing overnight.

    The conventional mail, yes because there is a charge involved,
    the problem is email where all costs are paid by us.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 29, 2004
  19. Itz Just Me

    Peter James Guest

    Re: Spammer motives

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:42:19 +0100, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:09:02 +0000, Peter James
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:42:25 +0000, Gladys Pump
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>snipped

    >The conventional mail, yes because there is a charge involved,
    >the problem is email where all costs are paid by us.

    That's the problem. If only we could find a way of passing on direct
    costs to the spammers, then the problem would be solved. Easier said
    than done unfortunately.

    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ to reply
    Peter James, Mar 1, 2004
  20. It will never go away. The only solution is to get spam filtering. I
    recommend SpamAssassin - easy, free, and customizable.

    Everyone has e-mail addresses with "REMOVE" in them to prevent spam, but I
    could care less if it comes because it usually never reaches me.

    Anthony Brant, Mar 2, 2004