    Microsoft has released a utility today for worldwide download that removes
    the font. "

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Dec 13, 2003

  2. PseUDO

    T.N.O. Guest

    PseUDO wrote:
    > Microsoft has learned of a mistake in the Bookshelf Symbol 7 font included
    > in the Microsoft Office System client applications. Due to an unintentional
    > oversight, we failed to identify, prior to the release, the presence of two
    > swastikas within the font.

    Is this the good or the bad swastika? doesnt one way represent peace,
    love and harmony, and the other, the opposite?

    Any idea which one this one is?

    T.N.O., Dec 13, 2003

  3. PseUDO

    Io Guest

    "T.N.O." wrote:

    > PseUDO wrote:
    > > Microsoft has learned of a mistake in the Bookshelf Symbol 7 font included
    > > in the Microsoft Office System client applications. Due to an unintentional
    > > oversight, we failed to identify, prior to the release, the presence of two
    > > swastikas within the font.

    > Is this the good or the bad swastika? doesnt one way represent peace,
    > love and harmony, and the other, the opposite?

    No, the symbol was used in both directions long before Hitler was born.

    Io, Dec 13, 2003
  4. PseUDO

    T.N.O. Guest

    Io wrote:
    >>Is this the good or the bad swastika? doesnt one way represent peace,
    >>love and harmony, and the other, the opposite?

    > No, the symbol was used in both directions long before Hitler was born.

    I know it was... hence my question.
    Thats why I asked the question as to which one, as from what I have read
    in the past one way meant love peace etc, and the other the opposite(the
    one that Hitler used) but yeah, any idea which one it is that is in the
    font, the good or the bad one?

    T.N.O., Dec 13, 2003
  5. PseUDO

    Ali P Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > Io wrote:
    > >>Is this the good or the bad swastika? doesnt one way represent peace,
    > >>love and harmony, and the other, the opposite?

    > > No, the symbol was used in both directions long before Hitler was born.

    > I know it was... hence my question.
    > Thats why I asked the question as to which one, as from what I have read
    > in the past one way meant love peace etc, and the other the opposite(the
    > one that Hitler used) but yeah, any idea which one it is that is in the
    > font, the good or the bad one?

    I've just checked this in my copy of Office 2003 which shipped with that
    font. One of the swastikas is rotated to the left 45 degrees and is
    identical to the one used by the nazis.
    What's all the fuss about anyway? Some people just go out of their way to be
    offended. By including it it's not as if Microsoft is sanctioning the nazi's
    atrocities. It's just included there as an aid to anyone needing to use that
    symbol in a document. I imagine it would be mighty handy for someone writing
    an essay on World War II.

    Ali P, Dec 13, 2003
  6. PseUDO wrote:

    > Microsoft has learned of a mistake in the Bookshelf Symbol 7 font included
    > in the Microsoft Office System client applications. Due to an unintentional
    > oversight, we failed to identify, prior to the release, the presence of two
    > swastikas within the font. We apologize for this and for any offense caused.
    > Microsoft is taking immediate measures to remedy the issue for all
    > customers.
    >
    > Microsoft has released a utility today for worldwide download that removes
    > the font. "

    Cool, can they also remove any of the things that may be mistaken for christian
    symbols, particually that nasty lower case T, its a shocker...

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Dec 13, 2003
  7. PseUDO

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:37:57 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

    > "
    > Microsoft has learned of a mistake in the Bookshelf Symbol 7 font included
    > in the Microsoft Office System client applications. Due to an unintentional
    > oversight,

    Ah so they have interional ones as well. Good, we suspected so for years.

    > we failed to identify, prior to the release, the presence of two
    > swastikas within the font.

    More spin. We knew they were there and thought it would be okay. Yes?

    > We apologize for this and for any offense caused.

    An apology from MS, as bp say, its a start.

    > Microsoft is taking immediate measures to remedy the issue for all
    > customers.
    >
    > Microsoft has released a utility today for worldwide download that removes
    > the font. "

    Yawn, why bother, I never use it. Or Tim, Dick and William will leave it
    on their systems. I hate that!!!

    Gordon, Dec 14, 2003
  8. PseUDO

    Tim Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in

    > Io wrote:
    >>>Is this the good or the bad swastika? doesnt one way represent peace,
    >>>love and harmony, and the other, the opposite?

    >> No, the symbol was used in both directions long before Hitler was born.

    > I know it was... hence my question.
    > Thats why I asked the question as to which one, as from what I have read
    > in the past one way meant love peace etc, and the other the opposite(the
    > one that Hitler used) but yeah, any idea which one it is that is in the
    > font, the good or the bad one?

    Urban legend apparently. Both directions were used interchangeably to be a
    generally good symbol. For example, the font in question was Japanese in
    origin - it is used there on maps as a symbol to represent temples.

    Both directions are in the font btw ;)

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>

    Tim, Dec 14, 2003
  9. PseUDO

    Dogg Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:55:42 +1300, "Ali P"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >I've just checked this in my copy of Office 2003 which shipped with that
    >font. One of the swastikas is rotated to the left 45 degrees and is
    >identical to the one used by the nazis.
    >What's all the fuss about anyway? Some people just go out of their way to be
    >offended. By including it it's not as if Microsoft is sanctioning the nazi's
    >atrocities. It's just included there as an aid to anyone needing to use that
    >symbol in a document. I imagine it would be mighty handy for someone writing
    >an essay on World War II.

    Okay. I found the Star of David but not the Swastika (kinda ironic).
    What key is it?

    Dogg, Dec 15, 2003
  10. PseUDO

    T.N.O. Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > Okay. I found the Star of David but not the Swastika (kinda ironic).
    > What key is it?

    Key? use Charactor map...

    T.N.O., Dec 15, 2003
  11. PseUDO

    Ali P Guest

    "Dogg" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:55:42 +1300, "Ali P"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > <snip>
    > >
    > >I've just checked this in my copy of Office 2003 which shipped with that
    > >font. One of the swastikas is rotated to the left 45 degrees and is
    > >identical to the one used by the nazis.
    > >What's all the fuss about anyway? Some people just go out of their way to

    be
    > >offended. By including it it's not as if Microsoft is sanctioning the

    nazi's
    > >atrocities. It's just included there as an aid to anyone needing to use

    that
    > >symbol in a document. I imagine it would be mighty handy for someone

    writing
    > >an essay on World War II.

    > Okay. I found the Star of David but not the Swastika (kinda ironic).
    > What key is it?

    Hold down Alt and type 126 on your numpad.

    Ali P, Dec 15, 2003
  12. Ali P wrote:
    > "Dogg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:55:42 +1300, "Ali P"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> I've just checked this in my copy of Office 2003 which shipped with
    >>> that font. One of the swastikas is rotated to the left 45 degrees
    >>> and is identical to the one used by the nazis.
    >>> What's all the fuss about anyway? Some people just go out of their
    >>> way to be offended. By including it it's not as if Microsoft is
    >>> sanctioning the nazi's atrocities. It's just included there as an
    >>> aid to anyone needing to use that symbol in a document. I imagine
    >>> it would be mighty handy for someone writing an essay on World War
    >>> II.

    >> Okay. I found the Star of David but not the Swastika (kinda ironic).
    >> What key is it?
    >>

    > Hold down Alt and type 126 on your numpad.

    my fav is re-naming files with Alt + 116

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Dec 15, 2003
  13. PseUDO

    T.N.O. Guest

    Russell Smithies wrote:
    >>Hold down Alt and type 126 on your numpad.

    > my fav is re-naming files with Alt + 116

    you mean t
    or t if done as you said

    T.N.O., Dec 15, 2003
  14. T.N.O. wrote:
    > Russell Smithies wrote:
    >>> Hold down Alt and type 126 on your numpad.

    >> my fav is re-naming files with Alt + 116

    > you mean t
    > or t if done as you said

    wrong one :-(
    I meant Alt + 0160

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Dec 15, 2003
  15. PseUDO

    T.N.O. Guest

    Russell Smithies wrote:

    >>>my fav is re-naming files with Alt + 116

    >>you mean t
    >>or t if done as you said

    > wrong one :-(
    > I meant Alt + 0160

    Ahh, the space one that isnt a space... if you know what I mean.

    T.N.O., Dec 15, 2003