Opposable Thumb Drives

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pete Holland Jr., Sep 10, 2008.

  1. Here's a new experience for me -- today, my Sandisk 1Gb USB thumb
    drive (with that U3 System stuff that I never used) failed. I plugged
    it into the XP machine I use at work. It asked me what I wanted to do
    (Open In Explorer, etc.). I selected open in Explorer and that was
    all she wrote. The orange activity light went out. Plugging it in
    again would have the light blink on then completely out, or it would
    come on and I would get a message that Windows sees the drive but
    doesn't know what to do with it, could be a driver problem.

    So, now, I'm at home. I have tried the drive on two XP machines here
    (doesn't work at all), an ME machine I use as a jukebox (not at all),
    my Linux box that I do my everyday work on (light came on for a flash
    then went out in one USB port, in the other, the light came on and
    stayed on, but no detecting the drive), and this here Mac (light
    flashed once, went out, doesn't appear on desktop).

    Now, the bright side is that, should the drive be toast, it's
    annoying, but not bad. There was no critical data on it. Of all the
    templates on it, only two of them I hadn't gotten around to backing up
    yet. Also, there are some comic strips I read from about a year ago.
    So, nothing Earth shattering, but it would be nice to at least get the
    templates, maybe the comic strips.

    So, here are my questions:

    1) Is the drive dead? Does the intermittent light mean the drive is
    working, just something is mixed up, or is that the death throes?

    2) I'm figuring, for any data recovery, the OS has to actually see
    the drive and know it's there before any file transfers can occur. I
    see data recovery software on the web, but it won't do me any good if
    the computer still has no clue the drive is plugged in. Is there a
    way to force mount and/or repair the drive under Linux or Mac?

    3) Any other options, or should I just strap the drive to a
    firecracker and euthanize it?

    Pete Holland Jr., Sep 10, 2008